Training- Monday February 20

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Training- Monday February 20

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 11:08am We have a group of us, around 12 guys that go to training regularly.
There’s a lot of banter between us, I joke that I’ve got adoption papers in for Windhager and Phillipou, one of the other guys says he’s adopting Owens and we’ll have shared custody of Windhager!!
We do have a lot of fun..if ever you guys have a chance to come to training, you’ll enjoy it.
I was part of a similar group way back in the early 1980's. We even considered approaching Hawthorn star Alan Martello and enticing him to the club. It was a lot of fun and the passion kept us warm on those freezing nights at Moorabbin. By 1990 I was cooked but still love the club. I wonder if there are any others on the site from those horrible years?

summertime and the living is easy ........
Killa
Club Player

The introduction of youth with potential (noting they all show potential hence on AFL Lists in the first instance) and the focus on this youth is the norm.

But this youth prospers to the maximum when ADDED to the existing, so by extension, the initial focus is on our core of established players and particularly because the likes of Coffield, Jones, Gresham, Steele, Clark, King, Billings, Bytel, Hayes, Marshall, Howard, Higgins, Wood, Paton and McKenzie have been impacted by injuries, disrupting team performance.

So we look for confirmation that these players enter 2023 with the expectation they will consistently contribute (by being on the park!!)

Then there is the structural issue, so support for Marshall, Howard and King (where we added Cordy).

And where we look to the resource we have, so 11 players over 195cm, the majority of them young including in their first seasons as kids.

So we look at Reports on their contributions (including their instruction) leading into the season.

Who are they competing with in drills?

And how are they performing?

In a few weeks time, the Season starts and when we will be able to get a real handle on where we stand, both in terms of the AFL side and the VFL side - and will not be periodic viewers of this Forum seeking any information.

So who, at VFL level, is knocking the door down?

Because that will be one of the measures of any success.

Along with having players actually available for selection.

We know we have some players on the injury list now, some with longer prognosis than others.

So who is showing the necessary to compete for the positions normally held by the injured contingent?

What are the instructions of the Coaching Panel during on-field sims (noting we are not privy to behind closed doors unless the Coach/s and/or players read from the Party line, replicating every other Club in the AFL)?

So there you go!!!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 11:03am Quite frankly, a permanent ban on one particular contributor who inundates this site and these threads would be welcome IMO.

Then there are the threats to Report others!!!
hear hear

spert
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 11:20am
Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 11:08am We have a group of us, around 12 guys that go to training regularly.
There’s a lot of banter between us, I joke that I’ve got adoption papers in for Windhager and Phillipou, one of the other guys says he’s adopting Owens and we’ll have shared custody of Windhager!!
We do have a lot of fun..if ever you guys have a chance to come to training, you’ll enjoy it.
I was part of a similar group way back in the early 1980's. We even considered approaching Hawthorn star Alan Martello and enticing him to the club. It was a lot of fun and the passion kept us warm on those freezing nights at Moorabbin. By 1990 I was cooked but still love the club. I wonder if there are any others on the site from those horrible years?
I was there with various mates through the '70s right up to the last game at Moorabbin. Any win was like gold, but jeez the club wasn't run very well, and it was embarrassing to listen to some of the bull that went down in the social club after matches by those in charge. Can't remember ever hearing anyone talking about how to plan for the next premiership- more like hope for best.
I might try and get to a training session soon- not too far away from "the home of the mighty Saints" as old Uncle Doug's announcement went over the PA before the games

Saintmike65
Club Player

Yeah I was one of the supporters that went to training in the early 80’s..good times, training at 5 pm Tuesday and Thursday nights.
A real United Nations thing going on…we had a South African, Indian, Sri Lankan, Scotsman, Russian, Greek and Italian!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 12:58pm
Yeah I was one of the supporters that went to training in the early 80’s..good times, training at 5 pm Tuesday and Thursday nights.
A real United Nations thing going on…we had a South African, Indian, Sri Lankan, Scotsman, Russian, Greek and Italian!
We probably shared a beer together, I was a regular on Thursday nights, would pump money into the meat raffles, and enjoy many beers until the team sheet came up from the change rooms to be read out, and leave 3 quarters p1ssed with half a cow.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 10:05am
tony74 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:01am SaintMike uses one eye focussing on Phillipou, Windhager, and Owens and the other eye looks at the other 45. Biases reporting if I’ve ever seen it 😳😳😳😳
Mike's training reports are sensational and really appreciated for the majority of us who cant get along. Tony we also appreciate your little snippets, but you cant do a drive by and not give us some reasoning? Are there other players who are showing more or being used in the positional roles that the above have been described in?

Perhaps you cant provide more because of your position at the club - but all information is like gold to many Saints mad forum fans!
Very much tongue in cheek re SaintMike. Players that have taken my eye- in no particular order- crouch, Coffield,Milera, Byrnes,Stocker , Wood

Saints58
Club Player

I was there as well standing at the goals not Linton st end we only had a few good players then like Georgy Young what a great mark and the Cunningham brothers really mad and my favourite Jeff saru.
Remember winning a game when the hole week was nice and warm and Moorabbin was a wet quagmire and Stephen Theodore used to excel in those conditions.
Punt in many a coin at the guys walking around the ground with the blanket collecting money.
And if we won that was it I was pissed for a few hours and still at the ground singing the song until all hours.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 11:03am Quite frankly, a permanent ban on one particular contributor who inundates this site and these threads would be welcome IMO.

Then there are the threats to Report others!!!
In my mind TTT I picture you standing over the mantle piece of a fireplace in an English cottage setting wearing a red velvet dinner jacket and a pasely cravat puffing away on a fine French cigar in one hand and goblet of cognac in the other.

For the life of me I can't reconcile how you ever ventured into the bowels of Australian Football Rules, just seems unbecoming of someone with such a high societal standanding such as yourself.

No thyself.

Freebird
Club Player

Vortex, if you remember the meat raffles thursday after training in the social club, you obviously have been around the club for many years. Why then try and destabilise this forum????????

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 11:10pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:20pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 7:10pm Thanks for the support..I’ll look forward to doing a post summarising the match sim against Melbourne on Friday.
Don't forget to keep a keen eye on our fringe talls in the forward line and their ball retention inside the arc please Mike, that's where it's at for those guys and their chances of being selected for R1.
Seriously Vortex is a troll and needs a ban .
You can take the piss over and over and over it's really disturbing on a low level but ruins this whole place . Not sure why but he gets his rocks off wanting to irritate others ..
Didn't want to go down the Dsm 5 path but he may need help . Can some one reach out to him ..

MOD EDIT. Poster banned for 72 hours. Implying someone has a mental health issue in a negative context is really inappropriate, both to the poster referred to and to anyone else who may be suffering with a mental health issue. Post is a clear rule breach severe enough to warrant a 72 hours suspension
But what other explanation can there be. Pretending there isn't a likely issue doesn't help anyone. No stigma, no negativity. Those with MH issues should be given support and good faith feedback. Looking the other way isn't the way.

Killa
Club Player

You have my sympathy, Vortex

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 10:50pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 7:10pm Thanks for the support..I’ll look forward to doing a post summarising the match sim against Melbourne on Friday.
Don't forget to keep a keen eye on our fringe talls in the forward line and their ball retention inside the arc please Mike, that's where it's at for those guys and their chances of being selected for R1.
You can take the piss over and over and over it's really disturbing on a low level but ruins this whole place . Not sure why but he gets his rocks off wanting to irritate others ..
Didn't want to go down the Dsm 5 path but he may need help . Can some one reach out to him ..

MOD EDIT. Poster banned for 72 hours. Implying someone has a mental health issue in a negative context is really inappropriate, both to the poster referred to and to anyone else who may be suffering with a mental health issue. Post is a clear rule breach severe enough to warrant a 72 hours suspension
But what other explanation can there be. Pretending there isn't a likely issue doesn't help anyone. No stigma, no negativity. Those with MH issues should be given support and good faith feedback. Looking the other way isn't the way.
Not sure if this is tongue in cheek…
As someone that has worked in mental health extensively for around 20 years, there’s nothing here indicative of any type of mental illness. That’s not to say that there are/aren’t things going on in our personal lives but there really is very little to be gained from reading into people’s posting habits.

I would say that at best, over time you might get a sense of someone’s personality or learn bit about a forumite’s values but really, that’s it and even that’s flimsy as we all know ppl are often prone to mixing things up online.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

as I have said before, there is one common denominator when it comes to all these types of posts above....amazing he is still with us.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 10:34pm Vortex, if you remember the meat raffles thursday after training in the social club, you obviously have been around the club for many years. Why then try and destabilise this forum????????

If you do an objectiv review you will note most of my posts relate to tbe club and players. I can't control other people's inability to control themselves if they disagree.

I'll say it again, there is a foe function, please reach out to St. Byron if you need assistance on how to use the feature. But I'm guessing you and tbe others who relentlessly attempt to have me banned will continue to play their games.

It's a ridiculous age of cancel culture we are living in that people like most of the culprits in this thread demand someone be cancel/banned because they don't agree.

If you don't use tbe foe function there are no excuses, you are deliberately engaging in trolling and baiting as far as I'm concerned.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Feb 2023 8:00am
Freebird wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 10:34pm Vortex, if you remember the meat raffles thursday after training in the social club, you obviously have been around the club for many years. Why then try and destabilise this forum????????

If you do an objectiv review you will note most of my posts relate to tbe club and players. I can't control other people's inability to control themselves if they disagree.

I'll say it again, there is a foe function, please reach out to St. Byron if you need assistance on how to use the feature. But I'm guessing you and tbe others who relentlessly attempt to have me banned will continue to play their games.

It's a ridiculous age of cancel culture we are living in that people like most of the culprits in this thread demand someone be cancel/banned because they don't agree.

If you don't use tbe foe function there are no excuses, you are deliberately engaging in trolling and baiting as far as I'm concerned.
have you wondered why so many would need to use the foe function for you ?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 10:50pm

Am very much in agreement with destigmatising MH issues. Have been through periods of my life where I was not psychologically fit at all. So am certainly not suggesting it's swept under the carpet.
However, suggesting someone has a MH issue on the back of a post that is derogatory is not helpful IMO.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Vortex please desist from making recommendations to other posters about their behaviour. Take your own advice - report posts if you feel they're in breach of rules - otherwise stop offering advice to others about how to behave.
Any further such posts will incur a suspension.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 24 Feb 2023 10:48am

Vortex please desist from making recommendations to other posters about their behaviour. Take your own advice - report posts if you feel they're in breach of rules - otherwise stop offering advice to others about how to behave.
Any further such posts will incur a suspension.
Shall do.