how are we supposed to improve?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

how are we supposed to improve?!

Absolutely staggered with the changes announced for the upcoming AFLW trade period (https://www.womens.afl/news/118308/the- ... king-order)... So Essendon (who finished above us BTW) have a free hit at 2 players whilst Hawthorn (who finished with the same amount of wins as us) have a free hit at 3 players.

We finished second last in season 6 (last in Victoria) but thanks to the new teams above, our first pick wasn't until VIC pick 7. We also lost TLR, Cat Phillips, and Jacquie Vogt to expansion clubs where we didn't receive any compensation. So how on earth does any reasonable person see how we can compete?

Despite finishing 3rd last in VIC we won't have access to a top 3 pick this year as the upcoming draft consists of players overlooked in previous drafts and mature aged players not on an AFLW list. So no growth there. Also, as the draft doesn't count, picks mean nothing in terms of trade value therefore if we want to target anyone then we will need to trade established players (see this link - https://www.womens.afl/news/118321/sain ... -pies-pair) resulting in a classic "robbing Peter to pay Paul" scenario. We were spoken about as having Jess Wardlaw's preference (she is one of the best forwards in the game for those who don't know) however now that the other clubs can raid with reckless abandon, she will likely go there instead as the last thing the Lions will want to do is deal with anyone they don't have to in this particular period.

The real draft at the end of the year will be littered by all the clubs who received compensation for the players poached (potentially up to 13 players) therefore we will absolutely be getting shafted again. This would result in 3 heavily compromised drafts in a row for us. To top it all off, we can lose up to 1 player to the 4 teams for nothing (no doubt we would get shafted by way of compensation as well).

All up, we're royally f****d at the moment and we're living in quicksand. Would love to hear someone from the club call out the AFL (like Burkey did this morning) but I'm not holding my breath.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Re: how are we supposed to improve?!

Here's a crazy thought, why don't we improve the skills of the players we already have! Coach Nick is great with offence-defence theory but very little else.In three seasons under him which player has improved? In our best 22 how many can pass more then 20metres by hand or foot too the advantage of a team mate? In those three seasons how goals have been kicked by a player who got the ball from a lead?? basic basic stuff

outside66
Club Player

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 3:04pm Here's a crazy thought, why don't we improve the skills of the players we already have! Coach Nick is great with offence-defence theory but very little else.In three seasons under him which player has improved? In our best 22 how many can pass more then 20metres by hand or foot too the advantage of a team mate? In those three seasons how goals have been kicked by a player who got the ball from a lead?? basic basic stuff
Totally agree with all of the above however with any team (men or women) you need top-end talent and experience. We haven't had access to that for the best part of 3 trade/draft periods now. When you add class and experience it lifts the overall team skills as such players generate play and put others into better positions thus relieving pressure which helps facilitate better skills. I'm sure improving the skills of the players we already have would be the first responsibility on a coaches job description however I personally think NDS is out of his depth as a senior coach.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'd really like to have someone at the club talk about the pros and cons of Peta and Nick as coaches of our AFLW team and who they, as the ones in the know, think is, was, the best coach for this team.

The fact that NDS is still there tells me the club thinks he's ticking some boxes.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Templar
Club Player

Fielding the suggestion that all AFLW coaches and assistant coaches should be restricted to women. Merit?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Templar wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:43am Fielding the suggestion that all AFLW coaches and assistant coaches should be restricted to women. Merit?
I think the first step will be to have a quota of female assistant coaches in the AFLW. There were a few female coaches in the first season of the AFLW but within a couple of years I think we were the only team that had one.
There needs to be a pathway for females to get into coaching.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we'll do okay, new coach Ross will improve us.

outside66
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 4:01pm we'll do okay, new coach Ross will improve us.
Is Ross coaching the AFLW team as well?

outside66
Club Player

Templar wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:43am Fielding the suggestion that all AFLW coaches and assistant coaches should be restricted to women. Merit?
I reckon in about 5-10 years it will be the norm. Once a generation of AFLW players finish their playing careers we will see more transition into coaching I.e Daisy Pearce will coach an AFLW team at some point I reckon

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:36pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 4:01pm we'll do okay, new coach Ross will improve us.
Is Ross coaching the AFLW team as well?
Sorry for the confusion

diddley
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:38pm
I reckon in about 5-10 years it will be the norm. Once a generation of AFLW players finish their playing careers we will see more transition into coaching I.e Daisy Pearce will coach an AFLW team at some point I reckon
I would go as far as saying she may be the first female senior coach of a men’s afl team.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:38pm
I think the AFLW will become a Level 4 coaching school. Looks that way.
No one with credible coaching abilities and a contract with a contracted televisor of the game, could afford to leave their job to take a coaching job there.

Watching AFL standard players and making comment about how good they are and what is was about what the did, that was good, doesn't make for any arguments on coaching.

Daisy is a footballer media commentator and was an average footballer, who stood out in a crap competition.

She's not half the footballer Erin Phillips is, and Phillips played professional basketball ball into her 30's first.

I dont get it.