Will Mattaes get a game in round 1?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Mattaes get a game in round 1?

Will play was basically our best forward.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I was there last night, and I think he will definitely play based on that performance. Looked at home out there for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Not a chance! Recent history tells us that there is no place in a Saints team for someone who can kick for goal like that.......

:D :wink:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Billings' injury puts him right up there now. See how he goes next week.

Fitness staff will have to manage his load this year but a few early games would be good for his development.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

At the rate we’re going - Peris will get a game

And I’m not even sure he can play footy?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Mike was exactly right with this kid - there is no doubt he will play round 1.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

At this rate, all of Matteas, Mitchito, Marcus, Nasaiah, Sharman, and Bytel have to be a chance of playing round 1.

It might make it hard to win the first two games, but we would have been unsettled anyway with a new game plan and new coaches.

On the plus side it gives the younger players their opportunity to show what they can do.

If they all perform well against Essendon next week they should be rewarded.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

yep and id give flappers a game

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Kid is gonna be a rule bewdy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I do think once all these kids, NWM, Windy, Owens, the Pou have 50 games under their belts we will be very happy. Let's hope older players can hold it together until then. That will help our kids commit to the Club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

You can put your house on it.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are we going to go early???

We normally do

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 25 Feb 2023 10:35pm At the rate we’re going - Peris will get a game

that's classic B.M, made me chuckle, I'm not too concerned though, we have depth...apparently.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:07pm Are we going to go early???

We normally do
What are you talking about & who are you talking to?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

With Billings out the Poo seems like a lock for round one.

Unavailable: King, Hayes, Jones, Billings, McKenzie, Allison, Hotton, Keeler, McLennan

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NWM
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Gresham, Membrey, Owens
F: Higgins, Sharman, Butler

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Windhager
Int: Clark, Ross, Phillipou, Webster
Sub: Coffield

Emg: Bytel, Cordy, Stocker, Campbell

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:51pm
B.M wrote: Sat 25 Feb 2023 10:35pm At the rate we’re going - Peris will get a game

that's classic B.M, made me chuckle, I'm not too concerned though, we have depth...apparently.
The list does have depth, unfortunately the preseason injury list is extensive and the depth is already being tested

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Edit
Last edited by Banger9798 on Mon 27 Feb 2023 7:41am, edited 1 time in total.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Edit

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 7:28am

The list does have depth, unfortunately the preseason injury list is extensive and the depth is already being tested
Absolutely we don't have depth, we have zero depth by true definition, I think our difference of opinion is clearly in your understanding of what it is meant by list depth. Do you play chess by chance?, depth in AFL is similar to piece value on a chess board.

You can lose players and still create a winnable position, and in the case of AFL the win is the flag.

An example would be losing Roo for 10 weeks in 2010, or Richmond losing a key tall in 2017.

Depth is when you have a critical mass of AFL grade players beyond your best 22, or versatile types that can play multiple positions, or tweaks to a game plan or all of these components combined. Depth provides backup and compensation to maintain strength to keep you in contention for the flag.

Our list is still extremely fragile, not only physically but mentally and is light years from winning a flag and is zero chance of making finals this year.

Harsh but I'm dealing in reality.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 8:09am

Absolutely we don't have depth, we have zero depth by true definition, I think our difference of opinion is clearly in your understanding of what it is meant by list depth. Do you play chess by chance?, depth in AFL is similar to piece value on a chess board.

You can lose players and still create a winnable position, and in the case of AFL the win is the flag.

An example would be losing Roo for 10 weeks in 2010, or Richmond losing a key tall in 2017.

Depth is when you have a critical mass of AFL grade players beyond your best 22, or versatile types that can play multiple positions, or tweaks to a game plan or all of these components combined. Depth provides backup and compensation to maintain strength to keep you in contention for the flag.

Our list is still extremely fragile, not only physically but mentally and is light years from winning a flag and is zero chance of making finals this year.

You are entitled to your own narratives but please don't confuse those with reality.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 8:53am

You are entitled to your own narratives but please don't confuse those with reality.
You seem confused yourself, you said I'm entitled to my own narrative but then contunue to tell me not to confuse it?

If it's my entitlement aren't I allowed to tell it my way?

I'd be interested to hear your version of what you think depth is.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 9:25am

You seem confused yourself, you said I'm entitled to my own narrative but then contunue to tell me not to confuse it?

No. I'm not confused.

In chess, you have strategy, not depth, all the pieces are equal, with the exception that one player get to go first.

In the AFL, you have a list of players, all clubs get the same amount and you have a salary cap, I think those are all equal too.

Outside of that, you have process and personnel. Those are realities.

Our depth, in reality, is the portion of players available outside of the team picked for selection on the day.

My reference was to your last sentence. You are dealing in rhetoric not reality.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 9:36am

No. I'm not confused.

In chess, you have strategy, not depth, all the pieces are equal, with the exception that one player get to go first.

In the AFL, you have a list of players, all clubs get the same amount and you have a salary cap, I think those are all equal too.

Our depth, in reality, is the portion of players available outside of the team picked for selection on the day.

My reference was to your last sentence. You are dealing in rhetoric not reality.
Ok so not a chess player then?

Chess has a valuation system a bit like AFL lists do, in chess it is as follows:

Pawn = 1 point
Knight = 3 points
Bishop = 3 points
Rook = 5 points
Queen = 9 points

And as we know the AFL player valuation is A, B, C, D etc, Queens would be your elite grade/A grade, pawns would be your C graders. Generally if you lose your queen the game is over depending on the strength your opposition, however if you still say have good combination pieces like two rooks left then you can still win but again depends on the strength of your opponent and the value of piece your opponent also has left at his/her disposal.

As I said, my version of depth, and I think it's widely accepted, is as mentioned previously and as follow:

a critical mass of AFL grade players beyond your best 22, or versatile types that can play multiple positions, or tweaks to a game plan or all of these components combined. Depth provides backup and compensation to maintain strength to keep you in contention for the flag.

your version of depth which is:

which is flawed based on the players we have outside our team that can come in and help us win the game which as I said is the flag.
presently we do not have enough depth to win a flag even at absolute full strength, so how can we have any depth in terms of winning a flag or even being in contention by bringing in players from outside our absolute best possible 22 which I say on its own cannot win the flag.

repeating my two best examples of depth capable of being in contention or winning the flag was our 2010 team when we lost roo for 10 weeks, and the 2017 team when they lost a key tall but had the depth to win the flag.

A lot of similarities with the valuation system used for chess pieces AND maintaining a winning strategy and tactics.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 9:58am
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 9:36am

No. I'm not confused.

Ok so not a chess player then?

Chess has a valuation system a bit like AFL lists do, in chess it is as follows:

Pawn = 1 point
Knight = 3 points
Bishop = 3 points
Rook = 5 points
Queen = 9 points

And as we know the AFL player valuation is A, B, C, D etc, Queens would be your elite grade/A grade, pawns would be your C graders. Generally if you lose your queen the game is over depending on the strength your opposition, however if you still say have good combination pieces like two rooks left then you can still win but again depends on the strength of your opponent and the value of piece your opponent also has left at his/her disposal.

As I said, my version of depth, and I think it's widely accepted, is as mentioned previously and as follow:

a critical mass of AFL grade players beyond your best 22, or versatile types that can play multiple positions, or tweaks to a game plan or all of these components combined. Depth provides backup and compensation to maintain strength to keep you in contention for the flag.

your version of depth which is:

which is flawed based on the players we have outside our team that can come in and help us win the game which as I said is the flag.
presently we do not have enough depth to win a flag even at absolute full strength, so how can we have any depth in terms of winning a flag or even being in contention by bringing in players from outside our absolute best possible 22 which I say on its own cannot win the flag.

repeating my two best examples of depth capable of being in contention or winning the flag was our 2010 team when we lost roo for 10 weeks, and the 2017 team when they lost a key tall but had the depth to win the flag.

A lot of similarities with the valuation system used for chess pieces AND maintaining a winning strategy and tactics.
As I said, rhetoric.