Cuz disappointed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cuz disappointed

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 6ab1b89f07

"Football icon Nicky Winmar says he is disappointed the AFL has sidelined the 30th anniversary of his defiant Victoria Park stance by scheduling it in Adelaide for its new-look Gather Round.

Football icon Nicky Winmar says he is disappointed the AFL has sidelined the 30th anniversary of his defiant Victoria Park stance by scheduling it in Adelaide for its new-look Gather Round.

Winmar’s gesture as he pointed to his skin and exclaimed “I’m black and I’m proud” ignited a national discussion on racism in sport and is one of football’s greatest moments.

Collingwood will host St Kilda at 4.50pm on Sunday March 16 _ the day before the 30th anniversary of Winmar’s moment as he responded after vile racist abuse from the crowd.

But instead of a standalone game or even a special AFL commemorative round the game will be scheduled as part of an Adelaide Oval double-header for the new Gather Round.

Winmar told the Sunday Herald Sun it was a missed opportunity to celebrate that famous moment at a Victorian football venue or even in his home town of Perth given its importance to indigenous culture.
Winmar’s stance against racial abuse is one of the most iconic moments in VFL/AFL history.

Winmar’s supporters believe the Collingwood-St Kilda game should have been a stand-alone AFL event with a ceremony at Victoria Park before a supporter walk to the MCG.

“It’s a missed opportunity. It has been forgotten,” Winmar said of the 30-year anniversary.

“We lost the 1997 Grand Final against Adelaide. Why would I want to go over there? My dad died the night before the Grand Final. What would I want to celebrate something over in Adelaide for? If it’s not in Melbourne why don’t they put it in West Australia? There would be a bigger crowd there than Adelaide? They would have 30,000 of my family members. It would have been nice to have the game back in Perth.”

It comes as the AFL conducts delicate behind-the-scenes negotiations to fly Winmar and a group of former Saints teammates to the game at Adelaide Oval.

The AFL is hopeful it can still recognise Winmar’s moment in a way that recognises its significance.

Winmar, 57, remains an indigenous trailblazer but as the 30th anniversary of the event approaches he is keen to pass the torch to the next generation of players to continue the fight against racism.

He fears little has changed in that fight but believes the current cohort need to continue to educate the public about racism’s insidious effects.

The AFL is considering a proposal from former Essendon player Nathan Lovett-Murray to hold a healing ceremony at Victoria Park in the week of the actual anniversary – Monday April 17.

That ceremony would include delegations from Collingwood and St Kilda and host many of football’s most decorated indigenous players.

St Kilda prioritised a home game against Essendon in round 3 for the club’s 150th anniversary celebrations and is the away team in the Adelaide Oval clash against the Pies.

While Winmar might still attend the Adelaide Oval game for some kind of celebration the tight scheduling gives little chance for competition-wide fanfare.

The Sunday contest is the second game of a double-header that overlaps with a GWS-Hawthorn game starting 90 minutes before the 4.50pm first bounce for the Pies-Saints games.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan will depart as AFL CEO in the days after the Gather Round, which has seen the Adelaide state government pay well in excess of $10 million for an entire round in the state.

Winmar and fellow indigenous teammate Gilbert McAdam had been subjected to a hail of abuse from Collingwood fans on that infamous day but played brilliant football in an upset victory before Winmar’s extraordinary moment.

He recently caught up with some of the players on the field that day at Moorabbin and says he has nothing against the Collingwood players.

“It was an amazing day, I have got nothing against the Collingwood players, just the crowd itself,” he said.

“It would be good (to be involved in a commemoration ceremony). Even if some of the Collingwood players were there to be part of it, it would be great. It is for everyone, not just ourselves. Black or white or red. Just for the people of the country and the Wurundjeri people and the other Aboriginal people around the Victorian community.”

Winmar was inducted into Australian football’s Hall of Fame last year for his decorated career but has battled health problems and has recently focused on creating original contemporary art while living in Victoria..

He will conduct an exhibition in coming months of his artwork in Harrow, the home of Australia’s First Eleven _ the Aboriginal cricket team which travelled to England in 1968.

He is aware there is still much ground to be made up in the fight against racism but is ready to pass the torch.

“Enough is enough. I have got five grandkids who are going to come through in the next generation,” he said.

“Are they going to be treated the same? No, it hasn’t improved. What gives people the right to stand there and say nasty things. What is wrong with these people."

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cuz disappointed

Insensitive and poor by the AFL but not surprising.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 2:27pm Insensitive and poor by the AFL but not surprising.
I agree St Pav. Nicky and Gilbert McAdam’s stand on the day was courageous and inspiring against a feral crowd at Victoria Park. I wonder if there is some Collingwood influence that just wants this to go away or be down played.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

AFL

Typically NFI

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

But if you walk into the foyer of AFL headquarters you'll see their RAP certificate located in a prominent position on the wall, having been through the RAP process with a couple of organisations it can be a little on the lip service side for some, a little bit like the 9001 3rd party accreditation certificate. Just another virtue signalling process if you want to do business with Government.

Interestingly I note saints.com.au doesn't have a page dedicated to their RAP document, maybe they do and I can't find it.

Also, didn't Bassett say we now don't commit to theme rounds anymore, or something that effect, could it be us as much as it is the AFL?

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:19pm But if you walk into the foyer of AFL headquarters you'll see their RAP certificate located in a prominent position on the wall, having been through the RAP process with a couple of organisations it can be a little on the lip service side for some, a little bit like the 9001 3rd party accreditation certificate. Just another virtue signalling process if you want to do business with Government.

Interestingly I note saints.com.au doesn't have a page dedicated to their RAP document, maybe they do and I can't find it.

Also, didn't Bassett say we now don't commit to theme rounds anymore, or something that effect, could it be us as much as it is the AFL?
ISO9001 virtue signaling, no I don’t think so.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:36pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:19pm But if you walk into the foyer of AFL headquarters you'll see their RAP certificate located in a prominent position on the wall, having been through the RAP process with a couple of organisations it can be a little on the lip service side for some, a little bit like the 9001 3rd party accreditation certificate. Just another virtue signalling process if you want to do business with Government.

you are so funny, coming out hot at any opportunity, yeah ok, obviously I didn't mean the 9001 certificate is virtue signalling, I meant it was similar to all the different certifications you need to do business with government. You'd know a bit about that though Mr Public Servant. probably explains a bit.
Last edited by Vortex on Sun 26 Feb 2023 7:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:42pm

you are so funny, coming out hot at any opportunity, yeah ok, obviously I didn't mean the 9001 certificate is virtue signalling, I meant it was similar to all the different certifications you need to do business with government. You'd know a bit about that though Mr Public Servant. probably explains a bit.
Just one more post derailed by you FFS. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This post was all about the non recognition by the AFL of a very important event, not how big your dick is.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:42pm

You wrote it, not me.

For the record, ISO9001 isn’t required to do business with government. For some large contracts it’s a requirement. For Defence contracts or working with a Defence Prime it’s necessary. I don’t have a problem with the requirement, it’s imperative our frontline service personnel have the best possible equipment.

If you have a problem with public servants, take it elsewhere, as you point out all the time this is about footy. But you stray from the topic, bait others like you did to me, then run squealing to the moderator claiming you have been wronged when you started the whole issue.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

I had a look not one of you brought this up five month's ago when the draw was announced. Not just the AFL it seems "forgot"

happy feet
Club Player

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 9:13pm I had a look not one of you brought this up five month's ago when the draw was announced. Not just the AFL it seems "forgot"
It’s not our job to run the AFL, we just support the club and in this case the stand that Nicky Winmar took.

Do you support it?

happy feet
Club Player

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 9:13pm I had a look not one of you brought this up five month's ago when the draw was announced. Not just the AFL it seems "forgot"
It’s not our job to run the AFL, we just support the club and in this case the stand that Nicky Winmar took.

Do you support it?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yeah fair point but sought of goes to my point about being genuinely and sincerely committed to your RAP as an organisation and not just going through the process because it's a requirement of doing business with Government which the AFL is an organisation that does a lot of work with the Government in terms of accessing rivers of grant money.

And as I say, didn't Bassett say the club is stepping back from its theme rounds as part of an outcome from the "review".

So essentially the club may be involved in the decision not to commemorate the event?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Game v the Filth is April 16 not March 16

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I’m definitely with Nicky on this. Typical AFaiL! 👎

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 26 Feb 2023 2:27pm Insensitive and poor by the AFL but not surprising.
What exactly did you want the AFL to do?? What have every team play in Adelaide accept for St Kilda and Collingwood
The dates 7weeks away how does anyone know and that includes Nicky and this "supports" what the AFL plans to do to mark the anniversary

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The gather round bulls*** is another hairbrained scheme concocted by idiots.

WTF would 2 Victorian teams play in Adelaide

Absolute joke

happy feet
Club Player

Yes I agree. If you want to do this why can’t the gather round be at the home of AFL (Melbourne) or treated like another home and away round.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

nicky gets a mention here

right after another black fella's moves that most on here bagged relentlessly

and here is what i think about that hypocrisy

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 5:53pm The gather round bulls*** is another hairbrained scheme concocted by idiots.

WTF would 2 Victorian teams play in Adelaide

Absolute joke
I think I read somewhere that the Government of the serial killer state paid the AFL ten million big ones for the honour. Total bulls*** is the gather round.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 03 Mar 2023 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend