According to Kane we are done…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

According to Kane we are done…

Will make some here happy…
Love how he starts with “at risk of getting sucked in..” then appears to be very sucked in …
Anyway hard to disagree on his skills point … though lumbering Windhager in as poor by foot is interesting

Why the Saints should be careful with what they wish for

At risk of getting sucked into a weekend of half-hearted match simulation in late February, St Kilda coach Ross Lyon has quickly been reminded of how difficult this coaching business is.
Using the events of the pre-season and the sloppy hit-out against Melbourne on Friday as evidence, the Saints are in all sorts of trouble this season.
The stakes couldn’t be higher for president Andrew Bassat - who, when he shockingly sacked Brett Ratten with two years remaining on his contract, said: “We think our list is capable of more than we've shown.”
From what we witnessed on the weekend they are no chance to match the 11 wins achieved last season.
St Kilda continually butcher the ball, and the opposition will easily score off the turnover.
Midfielders such as Brad Crouch, Jack Steele, Seb Ross, Marcus Windhager and Zak Jones are average to poor by foot.
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has class but is still raw and will take time to become a consistent performer while Brad Hill has proven too easy to be shut down by the opposition.
The news of Jack Billings' broken leg obviously doesn’t help.
Then there’s the forward line. What a mess with Max King out for the first two months of the season and Tim Membrey coming off surgery.
Lyon opted for former Bulldog Zaine Cody and Dougal Howard as the tall forward options against Melbourne on Thursday.
Cordy and Howard have a combined 27 AFL goals. Unsurprisingly it was ineffective.
Perhaps the only positive was confident, first-year sensation Mattaes Phillipou who slotted two goals and is ready to go for Round 1.
So what now?
Bassat's other justification for sacking Ratten was he worried if St Kilda were “at serious risk of getting stuck in the 6-10 zone?”
He should be careful what he wished for - the Saints look like they could be stuck in the 16-12th zone.
Bassat isn’t the only one at risk of being made to look foolish, CEO Simon Lethlean has a lot riding on the decision to re-contract and then sack Ratten.
He also moved on list manager James Gallagher and restructured the coaching panel around Lyon.
Lethlean desperately needs Lyon Mark II to work.
Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley was honest last week when asked about the treatment of Ratten: “I thought it was terrible in so far as the way you treat people.
“Again, I’m not talking about another club but just the look and the support that you need to give people, it didn’t look great. But I don’t know the detail, so it’s not for me to pass judgment on.
“I just know, from Brett’s point of view, he was treated poorly.”
St Kilda could have worn industry critique like these had the decision resulted in finals wins and took the team closer to breaking the premiership drought. They won’t get away with it if they finish bottom four.
I was shocked how bad they looked on Friday. How worried should Ross Lyon be?
SEN Breakfast
SEN
St Kilda continually butcher the ball, and the opposition will easily score off the turnover.
Midfielders such as Brad Crouch, Jack Steele, Seb Ross, Marcus Windhager and Zak Jones are average to poor by foot.
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has class but is still raw and will take time to become a consistent performer while Brad Hill has proven too easy to be shut down by the opposition.
Then there’s the forward line. What a mess with Max King out for the first two months of the season and Tim Membrey coming off surgery.
Lyon opted for former Bulldog Zaine Cody and Dougal Howard as the tall forward options against Melbourne on Thursday.
Cordy and Howard have a combined 27 AFL goals. Unsurprisingly it was ineffective.
Perhaps the only positive was confident, first-year sensation Mattaes Phillipou who slotted two goals and is ready to go for Round 1.
So what now?
Bassat's other justification for sacking Ratten was he worried if St Kilda were “at serious risk of getting stuck in the 6-10 zone?”
He should be careful what he wished for - the Saints look like they could be stuck in the 16-12th zone.
Bassat isn’t the only one at risk of being made to look foolish, CEO Simon Lethlean has a lot riding on the decision to re-contract and then sack Ratten.
He also moved on list manager James Gallagher and restructured the coaching panel around Lyon.
Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley was honest last week when asked about the treatment of Ratten: “I thought it was terrible in so far as the way you treat people.
“Again, I’m not talking about another club but just the look and the support that you need to give people, it didn’t look great. But I don’t know the detail, so it’s not for me to pass judgment on.
St Kilda could have worn industry critique like these had the decision resulted in finals wins and took the team closer to breaking the premiership drought. They won’t get away with it if they finish bottom four.
So what now?

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: According to Kane we are done…

How did we get so many injuries from training sessions?

Has to be some kind of record in the AFL doesn't it?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Kane is also then saying Ratts built a team lacking skills, somehow sacking Ratts resulted in Max doing his shoulder, Skunk's knee issue, plus JB's fracture et al; and that Gallagher lied about wanting to go to Adelaide.

Hinckley as we know is deflecting and messaging because he knows he is likely to go the way of Ratts for similar reasons: underperformed squad.

The ongoing use of 11 wins last year is deliberately misleading, it was 3 wins from the last 11 that did Ratts in plus he had no idea how to turn that around or unite players and coaching staff.

I cannot remember Mr Bassett saying we would definitely make finals in 2023, just that we needed a new coaching group and new management structure to improve: i.e. status quo was not going to cut it.

Was Kane really shocked at that practice game. He doesn't seem naive or a poor analyst. Or maybe his producer needed some babble to hang all the betting ads on and break up the 90% commercials content. And by the way, he needs to declare his biases.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

There are some truths in there, especially the lack of firepower, slow midfield and ball butchering. All the rest is just another bunch of puff print finding a way to rehash Rattens sacking. No question it was required. What comes next is what matters now.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think RTB would worry too much about what Kane says.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 11:22pm Will make some here happy…
Love how he starts with “at risk of getting sucked in..” then appears to be very sucked in …
Anyway hard to disagree on his skills point … though lumbering Windhager in as poor by foot is interesting

At risk of getting sucked into a weekend of half-hearted match simulation in late February, St Kilda coach Ross Lyon has quickly been reminded of how difficult this coaching business is.
Using the events of the pre-season and the sloppy hit-out against Melbourne on Friday as evidence, the Saints are in all sorts of trouble this season.
The stakes couldn’t be higher for president Andrew Bassat - who, when he shockingly sacked Brett Ratten with two years remaining on his contract, said: “We think our list is capable of more than we've shown.”
From what we witnessed on the weekend they are no chance to match the 11 wins achieved last season.
So what now?
SEN Breakfast
SEN
So what now?
So what now?
Reading that crap once from that Sth Aussie dropkick was more that enough, thank you :roll: :roll: .

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Brilliant Shane says,

Check out Kane Cornes lashing St Kilda - Ratten’s St Kilda - here, and ask KC where he thinks we would have ended up in ‘23, the way things were.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/st-kilda-s ... f749f1594d

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Trash article. People will lap it up.

Sure you could write this after round 8, but not after the first hitout of the year (We didn't even play an intra-club).

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I actually don't mind that article, in that it will give a sense of the whips cracking for the team and that there is no honeymoon period for a new coach.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

The decision to sack ratten was the correct decision even if we win the spoon this year.

He was a completely incompetent game day coach who preached a fraudulent game style. Ruined us and Carlton.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The guy is really cheap. Loves low hanging fruit. His bitch wit Taylor Walker sums him up.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Starting threads about Kane Cornes' opinions should be grounds for a ban.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 11:51am Starting threads about Kane Cornes' opinions should be grounds for a ban.
Hear, hear. :wink:

Sanctorum
Club Player

So typical of the negative tripe Kane Cornes is renowned for - I have never read anything by him that is any way impartial and analytical, his sole approach is to sink the boot into the weaker clubs. He only ever reports in any positive way about his old team, Port Adelaide!

He might have been a good footballer in his day and Port fans love him, but a sports journalist he is most definitely not....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How do we know his mate Ross didn't put him up to this?
And do we really believe he would have written the article without at least running it past Lyon?
I don't.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ouch Kane...very ouch.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Careful for what we wish for :shock:

So he thinks we would have been better off under Ratten still ?

Comedy gold

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 27 Feb 2023 11:22pm Will make some here happy…

1) ...Ross Lyon...reminded ...difficult...
2) ...sloppy .....Saints are in all sorts of trouble...
3).. no chance to match the 11 wins achieved last season.
4) .. butcher the ball....
5) Midfielders.. Brad Crouch, Jack Steele, Seb Ross, Marcus Windhager and Zak Jones are average to poor by foot.
6) Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has class but....raw ..
7) ..Brad Hill....too easy to be shut down...
8) Then there’s the forward line. What a mess .....Zaine Cody and Dougal Howard... ineffective.
9) ...Mattaes Phillipou...ready to go for Round 1.
10) Bassat...risk...foolish,...Lethlean has a lot riding on the decision....desperately needs Lyon Mark II to work.
11) ...Hinkley...honest.. “I thought it was terrible... it’s not for me to pass judgment on."
12) St Kilda ...won’t get away with it if they finish bottom four.
13) I was shocked..
I like it. Any chance to get distracted from my job...
Let`s look at the key points, it gives us a chance to type in clever words like "riposte".

1) ..duh..
2) Maybe, maybe not. No doubt the definition of 'trouble' will go up and down like the boom gates in Hampton street as the season rolls out.
3) ??
4) yes, fair enough
5) Windy is a crap kick? Whaddaya say folks? Steele?
6) So what? He's great
7) Let's see how he goes on the wing...and at what expense to the oppo?
8) Yes, I am afraid..cheap shot, but yes.
9) good.bravo
10) not a chance..hang on..yeah, it is possible Footy Classified will fan those flames..I doubt it. St Kilda were crap under Ratten and Kane knows it.
11) Cheap shot journo..Hinks dismisses his own comment..unless he is being a sneaky bugger, if so fair play..have a go mate, we kill Port this year.
12) They will get away with it IMO
13) relly Kane...blow your Kano Kano!.Go for it!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'm beginning to think that if we finish higher than 18th on the ladder we'll have done alright.
We've had shedloads of players injured already and as history shows us the teams with the most injuries finish down the ladder whilst the premiers and top four have the least.
And now we're being written off all the footy scribes .
Of course every journo has a " slag off the saints " article ready to go at this time of the year.

In red white and black from 73
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 11:51am Starting threads about Kane Cornes' opinions should be grounds for a ban.
I thought you were going to say...grounds for a beating...but ban is good, yes yes a ban is much better.. beating? What was I thinking? It's not 1974.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 11:51am The decision to sack ratten was the correct decision even if we win the spoon this year.

He was a completely incompetent game day coach who preached a fraudulent game style. Ruined us and Carlton.
Yep that’s my take too
Ironically if this side comes good, makes a final …no one (cause all AFL media/admin are in bed together) will come out and say
“Good move by Saints to sack Brett”
As for calling for bans cause a little ole Kane beat up scares you……peerleeaasse

“Yeah….nah””
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Reading into preseason form is a nonsense. How many times have we seen bottom 4 teams, actually 18th placed teams, come out and smash their preseason matches?! Happens all the time.

Yes injuries are a worry and ball use needs improving but let’s not overcook the relevance of preseason results

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I take as much notice of that dropkick Cornes as I do with Elbowsleasey.

Trixilver
Club Player

Where was Kane when we destroyed teams in the pre seasons a few years ago. Didn't lose a game one of those years. Surly that meant we were premiership favourites based on how much it means to us now.