Practice Thread for Practice Match Saints v Bummers 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: Practice Thread for Practice Match Saints v Bummers 2023

Only watched it on telly. Am I right in thinking that the pre-game mindful zen breathing affirmation visualisation meditation routine is now totally done with?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 6:06pm Figjam is no saints fan
Never was and I despise that clown David King.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

1971 wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 6:16pm I had constipation until I heard David King today.
:wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 6:55pm
saynta wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 6:53pm Couple of very unhappy looking boys sitting on the bench in Highmore and Sharman. Neither got a run which is f****** mean but par for the course from our retreaded coach.
Should have been out there
yep

Rubyjo
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:41pm
StPeter wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:14pm
saynta wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 6:53pm Couple of very unhappy looking boys sitting on the bench in Highmore and Sharman. Neither got a run which is f****** mean but par for the course from our retreaded coach.

Very disappointed that Sharman didn't get a run. I am sure he can provide more than Cordy who has shown nothing in the two practice matches.
yeah Cordy for some reason hasn't endeared himself to some of the fan base for some reason but at least he's AFL grade.
Runs like a bear with a broken leg but if he gets hold of you look out .

Templar
Club Player

The cramp on Phillipou was probably a good thing. Keep him from getting ahead of himself the cocky little champ.

I know its only two practise matches but compare to the debut of two 1st/2nd rd draft picks Kozzie and Riewoldt, wow, how good a player does he look!

I sincerely hope his ambition of being a one club player comes true. And I have no hesitation of going early on this.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Templar
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:59pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:41pm
StPeter wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:14pm

Very disappointed that Sharman didn't get a run. I am sure he can provide more than Cordy who has shown nothing in the two practice matches.
yeah Cordy for some reason hasn't endeared himself to some of the fan base for some reason but at least he's AFL grade.
Runs like a bear with a broken leg but if he gets hold of you look out .
True. And with so many youngsters potentially running about we do need some beef. He definitely doesn't mind letting his presence be known.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It’s not kinder pass the parcel where everyone gets a prize
RTB had a reason - he’s either not seen what he wants from them or they’re being saved
Who cares
FFS team moved the ball with some purpose
Stopped Dougal long bombs kick outs
Stopped dumb backline transfers
Brought the ball through the middle
Some players showed signs
Good improvements against ordinary opponents

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Good performance from the team . Once again the windy conditions made it tough to score.
The druggies should have kicked 4 or 5 in the first , but didn't so in the end it was a comfortable margin to us .
Our mids still stuffed up alot under pressure but unlike last week's relentless pressure from the dees , Essendons ebbed and flowed which allowed us to look good at times . So who knows what we'll dish up come round one , fingers crossed 🤞 a win .
Was standing near players race , saw Windy walk out having changed and carrying a bag of ice , thought that's no good , a bit later he walked back without the ice and spoke to a couple of young blokes, didn't seem too upset . Later I saw him in a sling , so hopefully whatever bone that is broken in his hand is not one that will prevent him from playing.

In red white and black from 73
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I was really impressed with Mason Wood’s game. He could be a player who has found his spot in a game plan that suits him. Was excellent today. He looks an endurance beast. Sincs and NWM off half back, Wood and Hill on the wings.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:42pm Sharman a lock for round one .
Wood was good
Rowan was good
Clark was good
Byrne did enough
Wood Rowan and Clark are what I would classify as the true definition, the other two not so much.

Although one poster over at BF suggested the reason Lyon didn't play Sharman was to protect him from injury because of our desperate situation with tall forwards, it's possible I suppose.

starsign
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 9:28pm I was really impressed with Mason Wood’s game. He could be a player who has found his spot in a game plan that suits him. Was excellent today. He looks an endurance beast. Sincs and NWM off half back, Wood and Hill on the wings.
ditto re Wood.I love the way he has come on. He reminds me a lot of Tigers Richardson when he played later on the wing and ran down to take grabs in the forward line and also down back often as a match winner often for them

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting game.
If the bummers convert the first few shots and we are down by 5 goals at qtr time,
Do we drop our heads or do we fight back?
Do they get their tails up and run all over us and we lose confidence?

I don’t think the bummers adapted to the conditions, and I wouldn’t think it’s much of an indication of what will happen in round 3. Both teams very scrappy and we are both finishing out of the 8 based on what I saw.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
flack
Club Player

I liked what I saw, the same number of scoring shots with double the score. Improved pressure acts across the paddock. No-one walking round with hands on hips. They all appeared invested in the game and put in a four quarter effort (except the first few minutes). Hopefully we start getting people back from injuries but at this rate they'll need to earn their spots in the team. Well Done boys.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

When Ross was interviewed, he mentioned that last week we were passive around the ball. I think that's where things improved this week. Once we step into the proactive mindset, we are a much better team.

Our midfield and our forward half will be really tested once the season gets underway and if our players spend their time worrying about what the opposition are doing rather than being proactive about we are doing, we will get thumped.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Why? Caminetti has already gone past Sharman. And Highmore isn’t playing unless Battle or Wilkie gets injured.

Also - what’s a retreaded coach ?

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 9:28pm I was really impressed with Mason Wood’s game. He could be a player who has found his spot in a game plan that suits him. Was excellent today. He looks an endurance beast. Sincs and NWM off half back, Wood and Hill on the wings.

Yes I was a huge fan of Wood last season.

And yes agree that playing wing is perfect for him , and that I think it suits him better than be a full time forward. As you say, he has found his spot that suits him.

He is perfect for the modern wing role.
-Huge tank
-quick
-good defensively when he pushes back
-forward threat when he runs forward including as a marketing target
-hard at it physically
--high workrate
-his height is an asset
-handy mark
-does many team things. ie often taps the ball to others, or uses his body to shield

-

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So who plays on Fyfe Round One, presuming he is now a super forward. ??

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
footynut
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 12:37am So who plays on Fyfe Round One, presuming he is now a super forward. ??
Simple... Wilkie!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 11:15pm
Why? Caminetti has already gone past Sharman. And Highmore isn’t playing unless Battle or Wilkie gets injured.

Do you know what a retreaded tyre is? New rubber on an old worn out tyre.

If RTFB wasn't going to play either boy, why not let them play for Sandy. f****** mean I say.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 10:29am

If RTFB wasn't going to play either boy, why not let them play for Sandy. f****** mean I say.
Well, you still needed to have players on the bench and they were on the bench.

As for Sandy - if you’ve spent any time watching Sandy (esp at Sandy) they might as well be sitting on the bench. Sandy’s poor team and even worse ground (esp in wind like that yesterday) means that they gain nothing from playing there (except a chance at getting an injury).

It’s so simple seeing what we’re doing for the 1st month. Cordy is a target man told to bring the ball to ground; Caminetti is the other roaming tall (& he’s surprisingly good - in a gangly giraffe kind of way. He’s mobile and aggressive in a way Cooper isn’t. He’s also excellent below his knees from what I’ve seen - unlike Cooper. And I’m in the Cooper fanboi camp too).

And as a general FYI - my takeaways from yesterday at the ground were that Wood is our most important player (the link in all the chains); Paton is way more effective as a def forward than a defensive defender; Stocker is better at playing Paton’s defender role. Phillipou is already our best utility and won’t be long before our best mid.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 10:45am

As for Sandy - if you’ve spent any time watching Sandy (esp at Sandy) they might as well be sitting on the bench. Sandy’s poor team and even worse ground (esp in wind like that yesterday) means that they gain nothing from playing there (except a chance at getting an injury).

It’s so simple seeing what we’re doing for the 1st month. Cordy is a target man told to bring the ball to ground; Caminetti is the other roaming tall (& he’s surprisingly good - in a gangly giraffe kind of way. He’s mobile and aggressive in a way Cooper isn’t. He’s also excellent below his knees from what I’ve seen - unlike Cooper. And I’m in the Cooper fanboi camp too).

And as a general FYI - my takeaways from yesterday at the ground were that Wood is our most important player (the link in all the chains); Paton is way more effective as a def forward than a defensive defender; Stocker is better at playing Paton’s defender role. Phillipou is already our best utility and won’t be long before our best mid.
I still fail to see the logic. Both could have been given minutes. As I said f****** mean of the coach, but par for the course.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From george on bigfooty.

"That was our first win against Essendon at Moorabbin in 43 years (Round 4, 1980 - the game where Carman went nuts).

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Haters are going to hate but I thought Hunter Clark stuck it up his detractors.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 10:53am
Saintmatt wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 10:45am

I still fail to see the logic. Both could have been given minutes. As I said f****** mean of the coach, but par for the course.
You sound like a parent at an u15’s game, not a supporter of a professional sports team in a billion dollar industry.

Those boys will get their chance