Today's Herald Sun every StK player rated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

Today's Herald Sun every StK player rated

For those of you who can't access this article, every AFL player was rated 1-10. Here are the Saints as rated by Glenn McFarlane and Mick McGuane.

Jack Sinclair
All-Australian defender who must back up his breakout season with another big year. Hopefully he realises one swallow doesn’t make a summer. He is well suited in defence, but could be used more often as a midfielder. Suspect he will attract more attention from opposition teams this season. How he handles it will define him.

Jack Steele
We love what this bloke stands for. He will become an extension of the coach and will respond to a stronger, more accountable system. He will lead from the front. Another big year expected, let’s hope he gets some more help from his teammates. It’s time he got a chop out.

Max King
Would almost certainly be rated higher if he hadn’t suffered a preseason injury that will sideline him for the early part of the season. St Kilda’s next premiership assault might sit on his shoulders in the coming years. Can he turn a 52-goal year into 70 goals in a full season? Must nail the goals that matter. Can’t wait to see him back.

Callum Wilkie
Almost unheralded outside of Moorabbin, but that’s not the case inside Linton St, as his second place in the best and fairest revealed. Such an important and reliable player. Suspect there is still more to come with him.

Brad Crouch
Finally got some continuity to his game in 2022 after some body issues in recent seasons. His tackle count went through the roof, through the middle and the forward 50. The Saints’ highest clearance player, he loves the heat of the contest. Has he got another gear to go to?

Rowan Marshall
Is Ro the real deal? We’re about to find out now that he is St Kilda’s No.1 ruckman. It’s an area of the ground he must own and impact, and his importance is huge. He’s now 27 and has a deal that runs through until the end of 2026. Didn’t finish the top 10 of the B&F last year. For the Saints to improve, he must change that in 2023, and become the elite player he is capable of being.

Josh Battle
Was a revelation last season when he played in defence. Looked comfortable but importantly possesses a weapon with his efficient kicking. As good as he was down back in 2022, we know he can be utilised in attack if needed, and, let’s face it, that might be the case in the early stages of the season.

Jade Gresham
Arguably the Saints’ most gifted player. Let’s hope he matches his natural talent with work rate because his ability to impact the game is crucial. Suspect Ross will use him forward a bit more early in the season. The coach will push him hard to become a more consistent player than he has been. Out of contact at year’s end.

Seb Ross
Ultra-consistent, work ethic-based footballer who brings a reliability that the Saints so desperately need. Loyal and reliable on and off the field. Is edging towards 200 games after being a very good servant of the club.

Jack Higgins
A pure footballer who plays on instinct and flair, something that Lyon won’t try to coach out of him. He’s a cheeky, vibrant fella who plays footy with a smile on his face. Had 55 shots at goal last year and must aim to kick 45 goals this season, which can be done if he improves his conversion. Higgins, Butler and Gresham can form a formidable trio of small forwards.

Tim Membrey
Had minor knee surgery last month and may miss the start of the season. In the absence of Max King, he is the Saints’ No.1 key forward, so the sooner he comes back, the better for St Kilda’s attack. Kicked 34 goals last year and his recovery could determine part of the club’s early season fate.

Marcus Windhager
Looks to be a fitness freak who spent most of his holiday period at Moorabbin. Has a great attitude and consistently looks to improve. Rossy loves a tagger, and we have seen that he can play this role to perfection. Just ask Lachie Neale and Tim Kelly! But it won’t all be about defence. This young Saint has the tricks to win his own ball and create havoc. Broke a bone in his hand in the last practice match.

Brad Hill
Can Lyon help Brad Hill rediscover the magic? He can be used on the wing and running half-back as he brings elite running and good kicking to a team that desperately needs it. The Saints will want the ball in his hands. It’s time for St Kilda to start getting value for money.

Dan Butler
Will become a big part of Ross Lyon’s forward-half pressure game which will be strictly enforced. Needs to be the Saints’ forward 50 tackle barometer. He was one of only six small forwards rated elite last season in tackles and forward pressure. He kicked one goal per game last season, but if he can add an extra half a goal per game, he elevates himself.

Mattaes Phillipou
Get excited Saints fans, this kid has what it takes. He has special attributes and qualities, which means he could make an immediate impact. Don’t confuse his confidence with arrogance. He believes in his own ability, as he should. Pick him for Round 1, Rossy!

Dougal Howard
Lost his competitive urgency at stages of last season and there is no better coach than Lyon to extract it back. The Saints need him back to his best so he can play on the opposition’s best forwards and win or halve the all-important one-on-one contests. Spent time forward in the first of the match sim games.

Zaine Cordy
Could this unrestricted free agent end up becoming Ross Lyon’s next Zac Dawson? He was chosen for a reason with the Saints struggling for height down back, but he might even pinch hit in attack in King’s absence, as we’ve seen in the trial games. Mature player who should be entering the prime of his footy career. Worth the punt.

Mitch Owens
Appears to have the attitude to improve himself, which generates positive energy to the rest of the group. It is uplifting to see a young man fight hard to win a spot in the team, and he is working towards that. Might be used as a pinch-hit forward initially (he is 191cm) but don’t be surprised to see him challenge as a big-bodied mid before too long.

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Blokes who can pierce the game with precision kicking, especially out of the back half, can help change games. He has the skills and speed to do that, and with another year in the system, he will be stronger and more prepared in 2023. Saints, just give him the footy!

Hunter Clark
Has obvious talent which was why North Melbourne was so keen to entice him to Arden St. Ultimately, he stayed. Injuries have cruelled his career so far, so he needs the footy gods to bring about a change of luck. Reads the ball well across half back and the Saints will back him in. He is quick of mind, but is his on-field speed a concern? We’ll soon find out.

Ryan Byrnes
Good ball user who is quick and lively. But it’s time to graduate from being the sub (which he was on six occasions last year) to being a starting position player. It’s a crunch year, given he is in the final year of his contract.

Jack Bytel
It won’t be an easy midfield to break into with Jack Steele, Seb Ross and Brad Crouch commanding top billing, but this bloke provides power at the ball as a relief onballer. The challenge for him is to leapfrog from bit player (zero games last year) to permanent fixture.

Nick Coffield
Missed the entire 2022 season as he recovered from a serious knee injury. It’s a challenge coming back from an ACL. Playing as a defender will help him as he will have the game in front of him. Big year ahead for the talented one-time pick 8.

Zak Jones
Has plateaued a bit with 13 games in each of the past two seasons. St Kilda requires his speed at the stoppages as he adds a point of difference, but they need him back to his best. Can he follow his brother Nathan whose willingness to compete never waned over time?

Ben Paton
Defender who can be relied upon after coming off a consistent season. There are no frills or fuss to his game and he has a good capacity to win uncontested ball.

Liam Stocker
Love this pick-up. We expect him to be played in the role he was originally drafted for at Carlton, as a midfielder. He has upside if played in the right area and could quickly become a permanent fixture in the Saints’ team. Can he prove the Blues wrong? We reckon he can. (Rookie)

Jimmy Webster
Experienced defender who stays under the radar and gets the job down without much fuss. He is no star, but he can be relied upon at half-back.

Daniel McKenzie
Played an important wing, outside ball user role in most of his games last season, averaging a career-high 16.5 disposals per game. Has never played more than 15 matches in a season, so he needs to play more consistently to lock in a spot.

Mason Wood
Will likely get his chance early due to injury issues in attack, but if there is any drop off in work rate or consistency (as we have seen before), he’ll be out again. Had a solid year last season, but can he go again?

Jack Billings
Is he ever going to catch a break? This was meant to be the year where Billings consolidated a permanent role in the team after 10 seasons and more than 150 games of experience. Instead he will be sidelined for the best part of two months with a hairline fracture to his right fibula after the match simulation against Melbourne.

Jack Hayes
Came on with a blaze of glory last year kicking three goals and scoring a Brownlow vote on debut before tearing his ACL in Game 6. Has succumbed to injury this preseason. Takes on Paddy Ryder’s No.18 this year. He gives the Saints another forward option when he returns. (Rookie)

Tom Highmore
Has the capabilities to bed down an intercept-marking role in defence. But his three games last year was a disappointing return as he was overlooked for others. Must look to become a permanent part of the Saints’ defence. Over to you, Tom.

Cooper Sharman
Has upside and can be used at both ends, which is something the Saints need. He looks as if he will respond under strong systems and educational coaching. (Rookie)

Matthew Allison
An obvious talent as a forward but he must ensure that he works to overcome the stress fractures which will keep him out of action for most of the season.

Tom Campbell
Twelve AFL seasons across three clubs yet he has still only played 56 games. He’s been a survivor and once again gets another year on the list mainly due to a dearth of ruck stocks. With Paddy Ryder’s departure and injuries to Max King and Jack Hayes, he might be required to assist Rowan Marshall until the cavalry returns. At 31, time is running out.

Leo Connolly
Can provide rebound, but does he calculate the game as well as he should? He must eliminate those decision-making/skill errors which hurt. Doesn’t appear to be in the best 23.

Anthony Camitini
Nineteen-year-old forward who was a late rookie pick-up through the SSP period as some insurance, which might be needed after the injuries to key personnel down there. We saw glimpses of his talent in the last practice match against Essendon. (Rookie)

Oscar Adams
Long-term key defensive project who is yet to play an AFL game. He’s putting on size but will still be given more time to mature, especially given the recruitment of Zaine Cordy.

Isaac Keeler
Young key forward who was a third round draft selection from last November. A cousin of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, his first AFL preseason has been hindered by a knee issue. Not ready yet and will need to bide his time.

James Van Es
Defenders who can jump (and this bloke can … look at his running vertical jump record from the draft combine) are so valuable. Pick 31 in the national draft, so there is no urgency, but his size and big body might give him a chance for a 2023 cameo.

Olli Hotton
Last year’s pick 35 will spend most of the year on the sidelines after suffering a preseason stress fracture of the back. A need for patience.

Max Heath
Long-term 204 cm ruck prospect who needs time to develop. No need to rush him. (Rookie)

Angus McLennan
Medium-sized defender who is another of the Saints’ NGA prospects, he won’t be rushed. Plenty of time on his side. (Rookie)

Jack Peris
Learned a fair bit at VFL level last season and is still a work in progress as a speedy wing/half forward. It’s no surprise given his genes that he has some athletic gifts, but he is still light and raw and won’t be rushed. (Rookie)

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Today's Herald Sun every StK player rated

Good article
Will be interesting to see where these ratings are by seasons end.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was an accurate review up until they rated Byrnes

Ryan Byrnes versus Jack Bytel. Ryan is obviously more of an outside mid but here’s the comparison on averages.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

I’d have Webster, Billings, Wood and McKenzie above Byrnes

Definitely have Coffield above Byrnes too.

RoMa, Dougal and Hunter Clark should be higher too. If these 3 have an uninterrupted year we’ll go ok

Josh Battle and Gresh would be happy reading that…they may even demand a pay rise :mrgreen: :wink:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Anyone surprised by the relative high standing of Zaine Cordy?

More likely to get games than Stocker?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I think the journo asked Chat GPT to write that review.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I checked on ChatGPT.

‘As an AI, it is not within my remit to make subjective comparisons about individual players or teams. However, I am able to make general suggestions pertaining to sports in general. I suggest you check Shane Grambeau’s brilliant suggestion for a competition about selection. This will sort the men from the boys, the woman from the girls, but most of all, it give those excellent contributors to this forum, to show their real insight and intelligence.’

I was surprised, to be sure, but Mr Vortex, I would be fascinated to see you choices in such a game. Name 8 players most likely to be picked

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 8:33pm I checked on ChatGPT.

‘As an AI, it is not within my remit to make subjective comparisons about individual players or teams. However, I am able to make general suggestions pertaining to sports in general. I suggest you check Shane Grambeau’s brilliant suggestion for a competition about selection. This will sort the men from the boys, the woman from the girls, but most of all, it give those excellent contributors to this forum, to show their real insight and intelligence.’

I was surprised, to be sure, but Mr Vortex, I would be fascinated to see you choices in such a game. Name 8 players most likely to be picked
So...this competition of yours is probably a bit like Supercoach.

Except they're offering $1000 per week and $50K for the overall winner

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 8:21pm Anyone surprised by the relative high standing of Zaine Cordy?

More likely to get games than Stocker?
Gobsmacked.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 9:13pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 8:33pm I checked on ChatGPT.

So...this competition of yours is probably a bit like Supercoach.

Except they're offering $1000 per week and $50K for the overall winner
Oh no Senor Scollop,

This offers much, much more.

I suggest that the winner had serious credence among the peers in Saintsational.

I think this is serious credibility.

Although we are histrionic, silly 😜, reactionary, proud, defiant, damaged souls, I have been impressed (that’s brilliant Shane) by our contributions, including yours. Behind all the nonsense (not yours, in general) is a genuine passion and understanding of our St Kilda thing.

And as a counter-point to the ‘authority’ of our posturing, this comp give a chance to everyone to roll the dice, based on their hunches.

And I for one, am most fascinated to hear what you and everyone really has to say. Because it’s a bit of raffle at the best of times, for Ross, for players and coaches, sponsors, punters etc., to try to anticipate what could happen.

And so, you have to bank on your instincts.
Who will get picked?
It’s a great challenge.
Stock market ?

Most of us are just jostling for this and that..but now, put your pride on the line..let’s establish who is good at guessing with one eye closed. Because none of us can predict - even the best of us, what will unfold.

I am curious.

Club Player

Thanks for posting 'the oracle'.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the hun.

ST KILDA

Tier one: 2

Tier two: 4

Tier three: 27

Tier four: 11

Tier three is stacked with too many underperformers which is Rossy Lyon‘s biggest challenge. Rising a handful of them up a level will at least get the Saints heading in the right direction. A lot depends on the two big men, King and Marshall, pushing into the elite category.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lots of GOPs

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If Mason Wood is played on a wing and is given a licence to run and use his aerobic and athletic ability, he'd be closer to a 7.0.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 11:35amLots of GOPs
To be fair, we were a GOP team for the last 4 years. Before that we were a POS team.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

All up, not an unfair review - actually pretty generous in places, I thought. Probably Membrey deserves a higher ranking. He's vital to our success.
Scollop wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 7:59pm I thought it was an accurate review up until they rated Byrnes
Exactly my thoughts - Byrnes is notoriously wayward with his disposal under pressure. That's a problem for him, because as an inside player, he won't get much time.

He should be watching tapes of Joel Selwood to find his place. He's got to crack in and become insanely tough if he wants to make it.

Anyway, he'll get his chance in 2023 - hopefully 6-8 games at a minimum - and we can find out whether he's genuinely good enough.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

theoracle wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 6:12pm Jack Higgins
A pure footballer who plays on instinct and flair, something that Lyon won’t try to coach out of him. He’s a cheeky, vibrant fella who plays footy with a smile on his face. Had 55 shots at goal last year and must aim to kick 45 goals this season, which can be done if he improves his conversion. Higgins, Butler and Gresham can form a formidable trio of small forwards.
That's a low ranking. His pressure, and hustle are second to none at the club.
Watch him in the practice game against Essendon and it's there for all to see.
Can get a bit goal focussed at times, but he is a small forward in the team to kick goals. He kicked 30 goals from 18 games (which was, essentially, 16 games because of the concussion)...On averages, he's our 2nd best forward and was 2nd in goal assists behind Butler.