Ross Lyon is a God

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon is a God

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:49pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:42pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:05am
The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:52am
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:07am
The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 9:59am
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:18am Just WoW!, I didn't see that coming, and neither did too many others, no body picked us so well done to this rag tag bunch.

Let's hope Steely's shoulder isn't too bad.
?? I saw it coming.. so your a Saints supporter again ?
Yeah but I bet you have never won a footy tipping competition either.

A Saints supporter again?...I'm a Collingwood supporter.
Well, maybe if you put the knitting down you will actually see what’s going on. RTB was an inspired decision
And yes, you come across as a Collingwood supporter
Firey me ole posting mate, I'm not sure what your excuse is, at least I'm happy to admit mine is knitting, (btw your scarf is coming along nicely), but I am a Ross fan, always have been, even followed his career closely at the Dockers, also helps I have an immediate family member that has a business relationship with him, so absolutely am a Ross fan.

Can I suggest you wipe your eyes of that blind hatred for me and start paying attention to what I post, my issue/concerns is about our list and what magic trick the club as for putting together a list capable of becoming a sustained top 4 side and winning a premiership even. I have made that clear so many times and I stand by it, I am reserving my right to hold judgement and wait for results to be delivered before I start buying to this whole belief in that all you need is a coach, 150 years of failure tells me the odds are against us in that regard, i.e. the Messiah Complex and thinking a coach can do it for us...Malcom Blight anyone.

In the mean time I respect your right to pick the Saints to win every week even if it means you will never win a footy tipping competition.

I think you are going to love the scarf, I'm trying to learn how to embroider portraits as I'm putting Cooper Sharman on yours, just below the words Captain Firey.
Good to see you changing your narrative as you go along

RTB fanboy now ? another huge challenge this week ? Anyway you can inform everyone of your knowledge after the fact… so predictable :)
you do realise there is a search feature on the internetty thing...not in the business of BS but hey knock yaself out Firey if you need to cling to that hate.

Anyway I have to get back to knitting your scarf.
Knit yourself a bib while you’re at it :lol:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:59pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:49pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:42pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 8:18am Just WoW!, I didn't see that coming, and neither did too many others, no body picked us so well done to this rag tag bunch.

Well, maybe if you put the knitting down you will actually see what’s going on. RTB was an inspired decision
Firey me ole posting mate, I'm not sure what your excuse is, at least I'm happy to admit mine is knitting, (btw your scarf is coming along nicely), but I am a Ross fan, always have been, even followed his career closely at the Dockers, also helps I have an immediate family member that has a business relationship with him, so absolutely am a Ross fan.

Can I suggest you wipe your eyes of that blind hatred for me and start paying attention to what I post, my issue/concerns is about our list and what magic trick the club as for putting together a list capable of becoming a sustained top 4 side and winning a premiership even. I have made that clear so many times and I stand by it, I am reserving my right to hold judgement and wait for results to be delivered before I start buying to this whole belief in that all you need is a coach, 150 years of failure tells me the odds are against us in that regard, i.e. the Messiah Complex and thinking a coach can do it for us...Malcom Blight anyone.

In the mean time I respect your right to pick the Saints to win every week even if it means you will never win a footy tipping competition.

I think you are going to love the scarf, I'm trying to learn how to embroider portraits as I'm putting Cooper Sharman on yours, just below the words Captain Firey.
Good to see you changing your narrative as you go along

RTB fanboy now ? another huge challenge this week ? Anyway you can inform everyone of your knowledge after the fact… so predictable :)
you do realise there is a search feature on the internetty thing...not in the business of BS but hey knock yaself out Firey if you need to cling to that hate.

Anyway I have to get back to knitting your scarf.
Knit yourself a bib while you’re at it :lol:
hey see there ya go, you are capable of laughter, so glad I could draw that out of you, next step is hugging.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:41pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:33pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:31pm It is frankly really disappointing to read so many individuals carrying on in such a juvenile way about old rivalries, sniping away at bitter enemies, especially after such a extraordinary win against the odds over the highly fancied and star-studded Bulldogs last night.

Isn't it better to just stay on theme, ignore what has flowed under the bridge in both the distant and recent past, and celebrate the win with positive comments on the coaches and players???

Yes, I was among those who vilified Ross Lyon after he walked out on St Kilda at the end of 2011, but I was also one of the first on this forum to heap praise on the Board for having the balls to realise that the team needed a radical change of direction and I was in no doubt that bringing Ross Lyon back was both audacious and inspired!

My headline after watching last night's match was: "NO KING, NO MEMBREY, NO 3 or 4 OTHER EXPERIENCED PLAYERS....NO PROBLEM!!!

In one of his first interviews after being appointed coach, I recall Lyon saying that he met with his three assistants and instructed them to sit down before the players started the pre-season and present him with with a plan for season 2023. This was in part because he felt that after 3 years away from the game he considered they would be better placed to develop strategies, and he was now quite content to "stay out of the weeds".

At last night's post-match press conference Lyon made special mention of his three assistants, giving them much of the credit for getting the team to play so well in the first two games.

No, Ross Lyon is not a God, but by God, he has started the season well, and in just 2 games he has managed to engineer a rag-tag collection of mostly nobodies, including a handful of young kids, into a finely tuned machine that look like they have been playing together for years...that's no small thing!
All good points, wasted in this thread.
that's a silly thing to say, all content should be welcomed.

I even want to see more from you on academic theories of psychopathy and how they relate to anonymous posters on footy forum.

embrace the rich tapestry I say.
Don't you welcome his comments, I did. They were good points, wasted in this thread, I'm here and we won, and I'm enjoying this. Psychopathy, I mentioned PTSD, but I find your reference to psychopathy interesting, come lay down on the couch, I put on replays of the last 2 games, and you can tell me more about it. I'll even pay you, I'm working on a new paper and this could be mutually gratifying.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:21pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:31pm It is frankly really disappointing to read so many individuals carrying on in such a juvenile way about old rivalries, sniping away at bitter enemies, especially after such a extraordinary win against the odds over the highly fancied and star-studded Bulldogs last night.

Isn't it better to just stay on theme, ignore what has flowed under the bridge in both the distant and recent past, and celebrate the win with positive comments on the coaches and players???

Yes, I was among those who vilified Ross Lyon after he walked out on St Kilda at the end of 2011, but I was also one of the first on this forum to heap praise on the Board for having the balls to realise that the team needed a radical change of direction and I was in no doubt that bringing Ross Lyon back was both audacious and inspired!

My headline after watching last night's match was: "NO KING, NO MEMBREY, NO 3 or 4 OTHER EXPERIENCED PLAYERS....NO PROBLEM!!!

In one of his first interviews after being appointed coach, I recall Lyon saying that he met with his three assistants and instructed them to sit down before the players started the pre-season and present him with with a plan for season 2023. This was in part because he felt that after 3 years away from the game he considered they would be better placed to develop strategies, and he was now quite content to "stay out of the weeds".

At last night's post-match press conference Lyon made special mention of his three assistants, giving them much of the credit for getting the team to play so well in the first two games.

No, Ross Lyon is not a God, but by God, he has started the season well, and in just 2 games he has managed to engineer a rag-tag collection of mostly nobodies, including a handful of young kids, into a finely tuned machine that look like they have been playing together for years...that's no small thing!

I even want to see more from you on academic theories of psychopathy and how they relate to anonymous posters on footy forum.

Don't you welcome his comments, I did. They were good points, wasted in this thread, I'm here and we won, and I'm enjoying this. Psychopathy, I mentioned PTSD, but I find your reference to psychopathy interesting, come lay down on the couch, I put on replays of the last 2 games, and you can tell me more about it. I'll even pay you, I'm working on a new paper and this could be mutually gratifying.
should we start a separate thread for all the psychopathy chit chat to avoid annoying those you don't posses as many PhDs as you and I?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:27pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:44am
Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:22am
saynta wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:20am

You have nothing to roll eyes about you hate RTB remember? He’s a scumbag ???
Onboard now r we??????
That figures ..
I've come to learn hate is just how Stinga shows his love. Deep down he's very in touch with his feminine side, very misunderstood.
Or just old. Things start to slip …let’s call it now.
Close to being reportable. Ageist comments are so pathetic.

I, like the club am able to separate the man from the coach.

Ross as a coach is easily in the top echelon, but RTB as a human being is another matter altogether.

Like skeptic, I decided that since the boss was the saints coach, I would refrain from making adverse comments about him personally. I don't s*** on saints officials. Never have and never will.

If you want to continue to see Ross cast in only a good light, I would suggest you refrain from insulting those that are not altogether in his corner.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:36pm

should we start a separate thread for all the psychopathy chit chat to avoid annoying those you don't posses as many PhDs as you and I?
This is an anonymous platform. There is no annoying anyone.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I doubt that someone who can't spell has a PHD in anything.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:41pm

I doubt that someone who can't spell has a PHD in anything.
His misspellinges are like cheese to a rat, but we all know rats don't like cheese anymore. It mostly highly processed bulls*** that sprays out of a can, but it smells the same.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:30pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:19am
Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:20am How many RTB fanboys creeping out of the woodwork tonight????
I didn’t see that coming - I’m just super wrapt it did!
Finally some of the prized idiot Lyon haters on here get to eat some crow…
Coach doesn’t matter - we can sack them all won’t change our players….pfffft …what a load of HORSESHYTE
Lyon’s efforts in 09/10 were only cause he had good players….pffft…..post above blows that out of the water and I contend IF Grant Thomas had of got out of the way much earlier, been a caretaker coach only (as he promised he was) and we had Lyon with Hamil, Gehrig, younger Harvey, Hudgton in prime we’d have that flag or 2 already…that’s why I despise the GT cretin …as one of his ex assistant coaches said to me directly “he **** your club”
Lyon brings discipline- we need it
He brings coordination and organisation- god knows after choose your own pre season adventure Brett…we need it
It’s early days ….give him 12 months and some more draft talent…then we ride for top 4
The Saints Are Coming…
Not entirely true. I swore that I wouldn’t admonish RL this time based on his performance as version 1.0.
I’m open to the possibility that he has merely gotten better since then.
What’s incorrect???
GT stated he was a caretaker then suggested he was THE ONLY one who could do the job? (is he Russian?)
Don’t think that’s incorrect..
Not that. Just the idea that he was great all along. Anyway… I’m just being cheeky.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

RTB. Is the man.

Some had the nouse to spot that earlier than some :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Coincidentally, we haven't played that well and with such ferocity since Lyon was coach the first time around.

And if we beat the drug-cheats, it'll be the first time we've won the first 3 games since we did so in the consecutive years we played in gf's, also under Lyon.

He's either very good or very lucky.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 5:17pm RTB. Is the man.

Some had the nouse to spot that earlier than some :wink:
Bang on Firey!!
The naysayers and doubters are backtracking beautifully…worse than an Italian tank in WW2 !!
I kept getting asked about this Ross Lyon magic dust….sprinkled over the list….lol I think he’s tipped a truckload over the club !!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:39pm

Onboard now r we??????
That figures ..
I've come to learn hate is just how Stinga shows his love. Deep down he's very in touch with his feminine side, very misunderstood.

Ross as a coach is easily in the top echelon, but RTB as a human being is another matter altogether.

Like skeptic, I decided that since the boss was the saints coach, I would refrain from making adverse comments about him personally. I don't s*** on saints officials. Never have and never will.

If you want to continue to see Ross cast in only a good light, I would suggest you refrain from insulting those that are not altogether in his corner.
Report away - it’s never stopped you running squealing in the past.
Now it’s “Ross the man” you detest….you need to make up your mind….
As I be said at start of the year - you’re a bandwagoner ….you’ll lay the boots in after the sides first loss
Fair weather supporters don’t do much for mine..

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

WTF! I didn’t say that. Why don’t you go back to ignoring me like you constantly claim you are rather than misrepresenting what I say.

My position is… I stand by everything I’ve said about RL. Every critique I’ve made over the years. Unequivocally and no question.

The thing is… I don’t actually have a personal dislike of him at all.
I’ve just always felt that across the 08-12 era his performance was overrated for a variety of reasons that are well documented.

Those observations however, right or wrong, are not relevant to RL and St.Kilda in 2023. If I think he’s doing a crappy job and my old concerns pop up again and definitively allow me to say I told you so… it’s coming. BUT… I have no desire to see him or the club fail. I want us all to succeed and hope that version 3.0 is newer and improved.

To this point in time… nothing is proven but one can only comment on what has been put before us and hyperbole not withstanding (I mean obviously he’s not really God he hasn’t definitively proven anything so no need to keep pointing it out)… he has done very well so far.
Last edited by skeptic on Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 6:49pm
WTF! I didn’t say that. Why don’t you go back to ignoring me like you constantly claim you are rather than representing what I say.

My position is… I stand by everything I’ve said about RL. Every critique I’ve made over the years. Unequivocally and no question.

The thing is… I don’t actually have a personal dislike of him at all.
I’ve just always felt that across the 08-12 era his performance was overrated for a variety of reasons that are well documented.

Those observations however, right or wrong, are not relevant to RL and St.Kilda in 2023. If I think he’s doing a crappy job and my old concerns pop up again and definitively allow me to say I told you so… it’s coming. BUT… I have no desire to see him or the club fail. I want us all to succeed and hope that version 3.0 is newer and improved.

To this point in time… nothing is proven but one can only comment on what has been put before us and hyperbole not withstanding (I mean obviously he’s not really God he hasn’t definitively proven anything so no need to keep pointing it out)… he has done very well so far.
"

Post by skeptic » Sun 26 Mar 11:19 am

Teflon wrote: ↑Sun 26 Mar 10:20 am
How many RTB fanboys creeping out of the woodwork tonight????
I didn’t see that coming - I’m just super wrapt it did!
Finally some of the prized idiot Lyon haters on here get to eat some crow…
Coach doesn’t matter - we can sack them all won’t change our players….pfffft …what a load of HORSESHYTE
Lyon’s efforts in 09/10 were only cause he had good players….pffft…..post above blows that out of the water and I contend IF Grant Thomas had of got out of the way much earlier, been a caretaker coach only (as he promised he was) and we had Lyon with Hamil, Gehrig, younger Harvey, Hudgton in prime we’d have that flag or 2 already…that’s why I despise the GT cretin …as one of his ex assistant coaches said to me directly “he **** your club”
Lyon brings discipline- we need it
He brings coordination and organisation- god knows after choose your own pre season adventure Brett…we need it
It’s early days ….give him 12 months and some more draft talent…then we ride for top 4
The Saints Are Coming…

Not entirely true. I swore that I wouldn’t admonish RL this time based on his performance as version 1.0.
I’m open to the possibility that he has merely gotten better since then."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 5:31pm
saynta wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:39pm

Onboard now r we??????
That figures ..

Report away - it’s never stopped you running squealing in the past.
Now it’s “Ross the man” you detest….you need to make up your mind….
As I be said at start of the year - you’re a bandwagoner ….you’ll lay the boots in after the sides first loss
Fair weather supporters don’t do much for mine..
Unlike the real fair weather supporters like yourself, I have never sunk the boot into the saints, its players or current officials, and you are scrapping the barrel suggesting I will. Just goes to show that you have NFI. :roll: :roll:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon is one of the most important figures in the history of St Kilda.

He may not win us a second flag, or he might win us our next three.

Either way, he is a sensational coach, and I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of our football club as we celebrate our 150th anniversary.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 7:03pm Ross Lyon is one of the most important figures in the history of St Kilda.

Either way, he is a sensational coach, and I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of our football club as we celebrate our 150th anniversary.
I will go on record as saying that I don't disagree with your post.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Is RTB the "Alan Jeans" of our era?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 7:03pm Ross Lyon is one of the most important figures in the history of St Kilda.

Hear bloody hear
And for some to suggest he’s not a good person when they have never met the bloke says a whole lot more about them
Either way he’s at our club and I’m super glad

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The real miracle is that Alan Richardson was allowed to coach six seasons at our football club and is our second longest serving coach of ALL-TIME.

Ross will move past GT in six weeks' time, and past Richo in 16 weeks.

GT had a huge impact on our footy club. Richo's was negligible. Lyon is only second to Jeans; let's hope he matches AJ's great feats.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

markp
Saintsational Legend

If you include finals, Lyon is on 122, GT is 123, Richardson is 126.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/stkilda.html

Of all our coaches, only Brendon Lade has a better winning % than Lyon.

:P

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:40pm If you include finals, Lyon is on 122, GT is 123, Richardson is 126.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/stkilda.html

Of all our coaches, only Brendon Lade has a better winning % than Lyon.

:P
If you include finals, Richo has an unfair advantage.

Sanctorum
Club Player

It is patently obvious that the reincarnated Ross Lyon has adopted a totally, (radically even) approach to coaching in the AFL, which I expect he would have outlined to the Board before he won the job.

Lyon has retained his hallmark high pressure zone/team defence but added fast ball movement and swarming field positioning to deliver the ball into attack and score.

That the players have bought into this so quickly is astonishing, especially with so many experienced players unavailable, and was not even evident in the two practice matches...it could be argued that perhaps this was made easier by the fact that under previous coaches St Kilda's game plans were barely discernible!

In both the Fremantle and Footscray encounters the Saints game plan has left opposition coaches totally perplexed and when their players had the ball they were unable to escape the immense pressure applied by St Kilda.

Inevitably other coaches will try to unravel St Kilda's game day strategies, but I'm confident that if Plan A fails Lyon & Co will roll out plans B, C, D or E, depending on circumstances prevailing at the time.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist