Caminiti

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Caminiti

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 11:26am
Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 8:55am
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 11:12pm Caminiti has been instant, albeit delayed from his draft year. The kind of injured kid you make promises to. His impact against the Dogs shouldn't be overestimated but when you look at the way he went about it, he is certainly one we will all enjoy watching.
I tend to agree with Riewoldt for impact,SO FAR, and he is in good company when we look back at our forward who had instant impact. Lockett, Loewe and Rod Owen, come to mind.
Sheez shouldn't we let the dust settle on the last instant hero before we anoint his successor.

I'm not saying we shouldn't get excited about the young guys getting a game but let's give the kid at least one full season before we go mentioning his name in the same sentences as Lockett?

I
I agree with you Vort. I am aware I am expressing myself, using the vibrations I'm feeling in the short hairs that rose up on my forearms, every time he went near the ball.
His possession count is not the impressive bit for me.
It's the athleticism he exhibited in his latest match, and has, since he first stepped out on the grass at RSEA merely a moth ago.
Those vibrations, fell familiar, and I'm not usually hesitant to share my intuition for fear of looking silly later, so I appreciate the advice and take note what I am risking.
As a student of the game I always say it's a fine line between taking a risk and expressing yourself so when in doubt...be the tight rope.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 12:55pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 11:12pm Caminiti has been instant, albeit delayed from his draft year. The kind of injured kid you make promises to. His impact against the Dogs shouldn't be overestimated but when you look at the way he went about it, he is certainly one we will all enjoy watching.
I tend to agree with Riewoldt for impact,SO FAR, and he is in good company when we look back at our forward who had instant impact. Lockett, Loewe and Rod Owen, come to mind.
Sheez shouldn't we let the dust settle on the last instant hero before we anoint his successor.

I'm not saying we shouldn't get excited about the young guys getting a game but let's give the kid at least one full season before we go mentioning his name in the same sentences as Lockett?

I
I agree with you Vort. I am aware I am expressing myself, using the vibrations I'm feeling in the short hairs that rose up on my forearms, every time he went near the ball.
It's the athleticism he exhibited in his latest match, and has, since he first stepped out on the grass at RSEA merely a moth ago.
Those vibrations, fell familiar, and I'm not usually hesitant to share my intuition for fear of looking silly later, so I appreciate the advice and take note what I am risking.
As a student of the game I always say it's a fine line between taking a risk and expressing yourself so when in doubt...be the tight rope.
Fair enough. You've taken the tight rope on Sharman and to date, I think you are on the ball.
The trapeze usually has a safety net, walking the rope is not the risk, falling is.
Where's that net?Caminiti will just get better.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 1:33pm

I
Fair enough. You've taken the tight rope on Sharman and to date, I think you are on the ball.
The trapeze usually has a safety net, walking the rope is not the risk, falling is.
The one difference I can see if we are comparing Sharman and Caminiti is what he might be capable of without ball in hand, he looks like he has second efforts in him, he also looks like he might have some agility and physicality about him at ground level. Not sure if you've heard this, but Coops has got great running patterns, that's all I'm going to say on that.

Funnily enough in the lead up to R1 I was challenged about my view as to why I would have Owens in the forward line ahead of Sharman and it was because of what I thought he could do when ball not in hand -- and my gosh has he delivered in spades on that one, the kid is a competitive beast (to use an old Lyonism) and I bet he's already a Lyon favorite, he's like a freaking cheater cat when he hits the deck, the kid springs up lightening fast and gets angry for the next contest.

Just some light N shade on why I feel Sharman is way off the pace, he's still got time and the things he needs to work on have very little to do with natural skills, except maybe say for agility which can be a genuine physical limitation.

But long way to go on Caminiti but in his 2 games it looks like knows what the basics are.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 1:49pm

I
The one difference I can see if we are comparing Sharman and Caminiti is what he might be capable of without ball in hand, he looks like he has second efforts in him, he also looks like he might have some agility and physicality about him at ground level. Not sure if you've heard this, but Coops has got great running patterns, that's all I'm going to say on that.

Funnily enough in the lead up to R1 I was challenged about my view as to why I would have Owens in the forward line ahead of Sharman and it was because of what I thought he could do when ball not in hand -- and my gosh has he delivered in spades on that one, the kid is a competitive beast (to use an old Lyonism) and I bet he's already a Lyon favorite, he's like a freaking cheater cat when he hits the deck, the kid springs up lightening fast and gets angry for the next contest.

Just some light N shade on why I feel Sharman is way off the pace, he's still got time and the things he needs to work on have very little to do with natural skills, except maybe say for agility which can be a genuine physical limitation.

But long way to go on Caminiti but in his 2 games it looks like knows what the basics are.
I dont think anyone thought Owens shouldn't play. You're guiding your lilly on that one.

We all thought Owens would do what he did. I wasnt certain Higgins and Butler wouldn't do what Sharman could have.

That was drawing the attention of a fourth tall defender, which somewhat backfired, but Higgins' mobility lent itself to the, run them off their legs, strategy.

As the purveyor of doom, you wrote off Sharman, a 3rd tall, as incapable of representing as a AFL standard footballer, as I said earlier, no need to repeat it. The recruiting of Caminiti and Cordy put pay to that.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 2:21pm
I dont think anyone thought Owens shouldn't play. You're guiding your lilly on that one.

We all thought Owens would do what he did. I wasnt certain Higgins and Butler wouldn't do what Sharman could have.

That was drawing the attention of a fourth tall defender, which somewhat backfired, but his mobility lent itself to the, run them off their legs, strategy.

As the purveyor of doom, you wrote off Sharman, a 3rd tall, as incapable of representing as a AFL standard footballer, as I said earlier, no need to repeat it. The recruiting of Caminiti and Cordy put pay to that.
I was showing a rare moment of diplomacy and not mentioning it was Skeptic who couldn't see my point of view with regards to Owens being the better option in the forward line, in the context of having no talls left to select from other than Sharman.

Damn, now look what you made me go and do.

And just a small correction: as a student of the game I always say there is a fine line between being the purveyor of doom and being objective...be the repeater.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 2:30pm

That was drawing the attention of a fourth tall defender, which somewhat backfired, but his mobility lent itself to the, run them off their legs, strategy.

I was showing a rare moment of diplomacy and not mentioning it was Skeptic who couldn't see my point of view with regards to Owens being the better option in the forward line, in the context of having no talls left to select from other than Sharman.

And just a small correction: as a student of the game I always say there is a fine line between being the purveyor of doom and being objective...be the repeater.
Hehe.

Im not such a fan of the game.
Too many rich clubs. Too many cheating umpires. Too many unfair advantages for interstate teams. Too much racism, misogyny and homophobia. 😁

I just enjoy doing systems analysis and managing human resources and I spent 40 years playing and coaching and as a spectator, I'm still learning new stuff, every week.

Wow, I take it back. Im a student of the game too.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 2:54pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 2:30pm

Hehe.

Im not such a fan of the game.
Too many rich clubs. Too many cheating umpires. Too many unfair advantages for interstate teams. Too much racism, misogyny and homophobia. 😁

I just enjoy doing systems analysis and managing human resources and I spent 40 years playing and coaching and as a spectator, I'm still learning new stuff, every week.

Wow, I take it back. Im a student of the game too.
You are most definitely a student of the game sir, I'm always on the watch for when you go deep into the weeds on the nuances of the game.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Mar 2023 8:57am
Moods wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 11:05pm
1971 wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 10:42pm
Moods wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 12:23pm
SuperDuper wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 8:09am 9 marks in his second game, playing as a KPF as a teenager.
If was a top 10 pick we would be pretty happy right now.
Showed more than the 2 bulldogs KPFs taken at pick 1 and 2 in 2020 and 2021 respectively
Spot on! Was saying the same thing to my mates. This kid has it. His number 1 quality which is essential as a KPP at this level is he’s bloody aggressive at the ball and he doesn’t fumble. Id go as far as to say he’s the most exciting KP fwd I’ve seen at the Saints since Roo
More so than Max King? Wow. 🤔
In my opinion yes. Max is genetically more gifted and could be anything, BUT he still ducks his head going for marks and just doesn't have that natural aggression. I've got no doubt he'll be a 200+ gamer and an excellent AFL footballer. Just reckon after 2 AFL games this kid could be anything. He's barely done a pre-season. To think we suddenly have a CHF and FF for the next 10 years with tall athletic mids/fwds in Phillipou and Owens. The mind boggles considering we couldn't even get our #1 pick right 8 years ago.

The best thing that ever happened to the saints in 12 years is all these injuries. Suddenly youngsters are playing games and showing us the future. I haven't been this excited about the Saints since 2004
And the opposition haven't had a good look at him and worked out how to play him. He'll he hasn't even worked thst out. I hope we don't create Sharman Mk2 and over hype the kid.
Sharman has a great leap but I can't see much scope for improvement beyond that. I sat behind the goals last year in a game and was appalled at his lack of 2nd efforts, as well as the fact that if the game isn't on his terms he just can't get involved. He also showed his good form at the end of 2021 when the season was over and teams were going through the motions when playing us because we were no threat. Big difference in games that are played to decide top 8 positions and games that are over at halftime against a team no longer a threat. I'm always sceptical on that. Carminetti has done it at the start of the year when everyone is competing hard.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

A very nice story.
Unlucky breaks and raising the steaks: New Saint's wild ride to the top - https://www.afl.com.au/news/892093

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 31 Mar 2023 3:03pm A very nice story.
Unlucky breaks and raising the steaks: New Saint's wild ride to the top - https://www.afl.com.au/news/892093
yes, a lovely story. The boy has ability.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 31 Mar 2023 3:36pm
Loved it. Thanks for drawing our attention to it Magnifisaint.

Saintmike65
Club Player

I

Some very good points you make, one thing I don’t agree with is Sharman having time.
He’s behind 5 forwards at this point & is playing for his career.
Not sure of him being a successful defender at AFL level either!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I

Cheetah cat FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 11:03am

Cheetah cat FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I was referring to a different cat, you can read about it here: www.cheatercat.org

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No thanks. I will just accept that you are poorly educated and can't spell. Probably not really your fault. :wink:

Gershwin
Club Player

He plays like he thinks he’s a star. And long may he play like that.

summertime and the living is easy ........
asiu
Saintsational Legend

how good
was ... the rest of the team

patiently

standing in a mob waiting to exit the ground whilst the
young fella was high fiving , signing autographs , taking selfies
'n generally being genuinely lost in that moment of celebration
100 metres away

i'll remember that till death day

may you become an absolute saints legend young man
... well done.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Kids got leader written all over him. Just ask the people behind him.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i did hear Ross laying the foundations for 'more kids'
in his presser

which also means playing the ones he's got

(kept the pressure off the poo)

i slept well
after a very toey day
... quite the content little Sainter .
Last edited by asiu on Sun 02 Apr 2023 11:18am, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 4:22pm
He plays like he thinks he’s a star. And long may he play like that.
The coach loves him as well.