What About Our Coaches?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

What About Our Coaches?

A lot of column space in this place has, quite rightly, been devoted to the footballers who run on and present each week.

Posters have drawn attention to the mighty contributions from the up and comers and from some unlikely sources like Mason Wood. Clearly some of the young guys such as Owens, Windhager, NWM, the Pou, Hammer, Peris all have great futures and I could go on and on.

Injury has been cruel and continues to be so if Mason Wood is ruled out with a shoulder injury.

But that is not the point I am trying to make.

We are just so blessed with our coaches and I am not necessarily talking about RTB.

What I mean is the legends who’ve come back to the club and are now trying to conjure the premiership they were never able to attain when they played.

Lenny, Banger, BJ (although he’s hardly ever mentioned. I assume he’s still at the Saints) Enright, a legend with another club but he is doing great things with our backline.

I’m not trying to take anything away here. What’s being said about the players and Ross is great. Three zip is great. Beating the hoodoo Bombers even better.

Hayes, Harvey and Goddard were champion players for our footy club. Who can forget Lenny’s Norm Smith in a losing GF.

Now they are proving they were not just great players. They’re great coaches doing a great job when fit and healthy cattle are in short supply and getting shorter every week. What they are doing is working. Long may it continue.

Yesterday was a fabulous day for the club for all of the reasons you would expect. Emotional and sentimental reasons. It was great to secure a win for every player and supporter.

But if we can keep doing what we’ve been doing, and follow the game plane we now have, a Premiership is inevitable at some point in the future. Ross said this almost word for word at his post-match press conference. That was a significant moment for me.

I just wanted to say, having the old guard back as mentors and coaches is a fantastic and romantic St Kilda footy club story.

It’s also good for the heart of this supporter who’s barracked for the Saints for more than half a century..

Milne
Club Player

Re: What About Our Coaches?

I love how RTB is giving special mention to the teamwork provided by the entire coaching panel.

We've got the right people in the right roles, the rest of it is up to what the players do on the ground.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Nah coaches make zero real difference- just ask BM/Vort
It’s ALL list
Having a game plan where Everyone knows their role is just a nice to have ….let alone getting an entire list to mentally buy in to buy into what you’re doing…
Are we too 4 really? No
But all you ask for is effort and a semblance of a consistent approach- we have that in spades and great coaching delivers that.
A Blues mate agreed with me….they **** up not grabbing Lyon - he’d have turned that talent into genuine contenders (I’m not convinced on Voss….never have been..) …as he lamented Carlton heirarchy would’ve struggled with Lyon’s honest approach
Kudos to Saints and I think he’ll bring out the best in Harvey Hayes Enright …he’s an old Fox

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We’ll see where we end up.

We were 8-3 and top 4 last season

I agree the Game Plan is improved and the players are playing well, and a fit as f***!

Coaches are not irrelevant- but not as important as good player

Wilkie, Ross, Sinclair, Crouch, Higgins, Hill, Wood
Outstanding last night

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 12:30pm We’ll see where we end up.

I agree the Game Plan is improved and the players are playing well, and a fit as f***!

Outstanding last night
Lol you’ll get there buddy
Can’t recall playing as consistently over 4 qtrs last year as this year
And when we leaked…we leaked bad ..
That’s structure
List is not top 4 has 1/3 injured (much more than last year) and has beaten 2 finalist and a hoodoo side who pumped us last year to sit 3-0
I think good coaching goes all right..

“Yeah….nah””
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Outstanding last night
Travelling down to Marvel for round 1 I commented to my wife, that, considering or injury list, if we could win 3 of or first 8 games we could probably still make the top 8.

That we are three from three, albeit with a deeper injury list, tells me everyone involved with the club are doing their jobs extremely well.

Saint supporter since '62
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

have a look at the collective talent in the Coaching ranks...it's off the chart..surely some must rub off.

and not to mention Banger has had a decent grounding

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 12:08pm Nah coaches make zero real difference- just ask BM/Vort
It’s ALL list
Having a game plan where Everyone knows their role is just a nice to have ….let alone getting an entire list to mentally buy in to buy into what you’re doing…
Are we too 4 really? No
But all you ask for is effort and a semblance of a consistent approach- we have that in spades and great coaching delivers that.
A Blues mate agreed with me….they **** up not grabbing Lyon - he’d have turned that talent into genuine contenders (I’m not convinced on Voss….never have been..) …as he lamented Carlton heirarchy would’ve struggled with Lyon’s honest approach
Kudos to Saints and I think he’ll bring out the best in Harvey Hayes Enright …he’s an old Fox
Did you catch Ross's presser last night, did you catch the bit about him saying something like for us to improve and be contenders we need to get more talent into the club, and the rest is about processes he recons, meaning process comes after having players who can execute it.

A list capable of contending is still the most important ingredient because it is the hardest to procure.

Even Clarko will be another coach on the long list of sacked coaches if North can't get its hands on the right players.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The coaches have clearly made a huge difference, the game plan is evident.

So many times last year we had no idea what the plan was.

Imagine when we have an almost full list to pick from.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

So far, so good! The coaching has helped to restore some belief in the players who were struggling last year. Would love to see the likes of Billings and Jones also respond accordingly, after they come back from injury.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintWiki
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 1:12pm So far, so good! The coaching has helped to restore some belief in the players who were struggling last year. Would love to see the likes of Billings and Jones also respond accordingly, after they come back from injury.
Pretty sure they'll already know that. So they'll have to train the house down and look bloody good in the 2's

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 1:05pm The coaches have clearly made a huge difference, the game plan is evident.

correct
Anyone banging on about list talent- no one I’ve read here has ever suggested you need an A grade coaching group and crap list…it’s an obvious point
Facts are right now the list we have to put on the park is not top 8 standard yet here we are 3-0
Nice to have players who KNOW and have bought into the plan
Last year was fits n spurts and when the whips cracked late in season our plan fell apart ..

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 2:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 1:05pm The coaches have clearly made a huge difference, the game plan is evident.

correct
Anyone banging on about list talent- no one I’ve read here has ever suggested you need an A grade coaching group and crap list…it’s an obvious point
Facts are right now the list we have to put on the park is not top 8 standard yet here we are 3-0
Nice to have players who KNOW and have bought into the plan
Last year was fits n spurts and when the whips cracked late in season our plan fell apart ..
spot on

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The first thing that’s happened is the structure is sound. Players playing where they should.
Gresh more forward than mid
Butler still forward but the main one trusted to deliver the ball inside F50

The back 6 largely settled minus Webster’s injury with Paton coming in and subbing…

And opportunities have come to the right players…
Caminati and Phillipou have been commendable
Bytel did when in his first match
Byrnes was given a chance early that surprised a few but he has largely rewarded the faith l.

Game plan is really holding up well defensively and restricting opposition movement…
We’re at times a little light on the scoring capability ourselves but I think that’s more a result of the injury crises then anything else.

I’m still not as sold on Cordy as most… good game vs the Doggies and finished strongly vs the Dockers after a slow start… but he has a tendency to be absent for large periods of games. Had 4 quarters of 11 where he hasn’t actually touched the ball.
Still… I think maybe last night just wasn’t the type of night that suited him and goodness knows we need his size + plus his good moments have been great. I still think his fitness is an issue.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 12:51pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 12:08pm Nah coaches make zero real difference- just ask BM/Vort
It’s ALL list
Are we too 4 really? No
Did you catch Ross's presser last night, did you catch the bit about him saying something like for us to improve and be contenders we need to get more talent into the club, and the rest is about processes he recons, meaning process comes after having players who can execute it.

A list capable of contending is still the most important ingredient because it is the hardest to procure.

Even Clarko will be another coach on the long list of sacked coaches if North can't get its hands on the right players.

When is our drinks night or are you going to welsh on it?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I was worried it was jobs for the boys, but I've been proven wrong. Even SOS adding value early with Stocker and Caminiti selections.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 3:17pm

It's on all week, started last night, but I thought you were a teetotaler?

I would welcome the opportunity to watch you get drunk.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 9:32am A lot of column space in this place has, quite rightly, been devoted to the footballers who run on and present each week.

Posters have drawn attention to the mighty contributions from the up and comers and from some unlikely sources like Mason Wood. Clearly some of the young guys such as Owens, Windhager, NWM, the Pou, Hammer, Peris all have great futures and I could go on and on.

Injury has been cruel and continues to be so if Mason Wood is ruled out with a shoulder injury.

But that is not the point I am trying to make.

We are just so blessed with our coaches and I am not necessarily talking about RTB.

What I mean is the legends who’ve come back to the club and are now trying to conjure the premiership they were never able to attain when they played.

Lenny, Banger, BJ (although he’s hardly ever mentioned. I assume he’s still at the Saints) Enright, a legend with another club but he is doing great things with our backline.

I’m not trying to take anything away here. What’s being said about the players and Ross is great. Three zip is great. Beating the hoodoo Bombers even better.

Hayes, Harvey and Goddard were champion players for our footy club. Who can forget Lenny’s Norm Smith in a losing GF.
BJ is still at the Saints, he is a development coach, working for Damian Carroll and an Assistant coach at Sandy on match days. Not sure if he is at Sandy during the week.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Outstanding last night
Those blokes have always stood out. Steel was standing out too. You left Marshall out.

But somehow we evened up centre clearance and let stoppages direct our defensive pressure to the areas we knew we controlled, where our numbers lined up on turnover and we smashed them.
That looks like pretty good coaching to me.

Sanctorum
Club Player

At the 9 minute mark of the last quarter when Essendon drew level with 2 quick goals I thought "here we go again, they're going to get run over".

But Lyon & Co have drilled this team so well that the players took it on themselves to respond, and boy, did they respond!! Five goals on the trot to put the result beyond doubt.

This was one of the best wins by St Kilda for years, and in my view this was entirely due to the changes in coaching personnel during the off-season. No way known would the 2022 team have withstood the strong pressure applied by Essendon in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Since last year the side has lost Paddy Ryder (a massive loss at that) and have really only gained 2 'FAQ' AFL players in Zaine Cordy and Liam Stocker, on top of that they were without at least four of their regular best 22 players in Steele, King, Membrey, Billings (and a few others) and still they played as well if not better than last year's team.

Surely that has to be attributed ENTIRELY to Lyon, Harvey, and Hayes sitting in the coaching box, with the sole survivor from 2022 in Corey Enright!

Yes, players are the major factor in the success of a footy team, but you can't tell me that they will achieve success without a bloody good senior coach to mastermind the game plan!!!

St Kilda now has one.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Outstanding last night
Surely you jest? Do you really believe we would be 3 nil, with Ratten coaching and our current injury list? King and Steele are important players yet we are still winning. Perhaps you are someone who has never coached or lead a group of young men. Either way its an ignorant attitude.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 02 Apr 2023 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 3:37pm
saynta wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 3:17pm

It's on all week, started last night, but I thought you were a teetotaler?

I would welcome the opportunity to watch you get drunk.
Where abouts??? Or are you full of s***?

loris
Saintsational Legend

[quote=Vortex post_id=2000196 time=1680400298 user_id
[/quote]

and the rest is about processes he recons, meaning process comes after having players who can execute it.

[/quote]

Dearie me, I’d use the word ‘reckons’ not ‘recons’, easier to follow your meaning. :wink:

ace
Saintsational Legend

3 Nil
And top of the ladder after 3 rounds (by about one behind).
Stop the season NOW and award the premiership flag & cup to the leading team.

Something has changed.
And I doubt it all due to list improvement
With so many players out the available list is probably the worst it has been for years.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 2:24am 3 Nil
And top of the ladder after 3 rounds (by about one behind).
Stop the season NOW and award the premiership flag & cup to the leading team.

Something has changed.
And I doubt it all due to list improvement
With so many players out the available list is probably the worst it has been for years.
Yep but what will be fascinating as sides work us out…does Lyon have other gears …

“Yeah….nah””