What the hell is going on with Membury?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: What the hell is going on with Membury?

Vortex wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 10:24am
MC Gusto wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 10:11am You can’t rely on the weeks away on the injury list until they are ‘test’

This is the same for most, if not all, clubs

Max has been 6-9 since he first injured the shoulder
The injury happened in the first week of Xmas, 9 weeks from there means he would have been available at the end of January.

The best way to determine the turn around is a Google search for the average return at AFL level for the specific injury, then from there you can apply a variation depending on how well the rehabilitation has progressed, some can return a little earlier, some can return a little later, even a lot later if there is a complication.

Take Steely's injury for example, a broken color bone is 8-12 weeks, last year Steely came back within 5 weeks and so the fact a fairly innocuous impact event obliterated the area of the original repair I wouldn't mind betting the doctors will be a little more conservative this time around, I'm guessing at least 8 weeks out this time around, at least. Why risk his long term career when a flag is not a realistic possibility this year.
He’s been on 6-9 since round 1 is my point

#1 Ryder fan
66Iwasthere
Club Player

About three weeks ago Tim was doing drills, running between cones, as part of his rehab. He appeared to be unhindered but I can only think now he pulled up sore. Whereas under previous regimes he would have played sore with 70% fitness, under Ross and Misson he will not return until he is 100% fit and is fully match conditioned. They are playing the long game.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 8:24am About three weeks ago Tim was doing drills, running between cones, as part of his rehab. He appeared to be unhindered but I can only think now he pulled up sore. Whereas under previous regimes he would have played sore with 70% fitness, under Ross and Misson he will not return until he is 100% fit and is fully match conditioned. They are playing the long game.
If that's actually the case then I'm completely comfortable with that. I would rather players return fit rather than rushed back.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 8:24am About three weeks ago Tim was doing drills, running between cones, as part of his rehab. He appeared to be unhindered but I can only think now he pulled up sore. Whereas under previous regimes he would have played sore with 70% fitness, under Ross and Misson he will not return until he is 100% fit and is fully match conditioned. They are playing the long game.
No they wouldn't have played injured. Not under Ratts. Provide proof

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Scollop wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 4:53am
WellardSaint wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 12:48pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 10:24am
MC Gusto wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 10:11am You can’t rely on the weeks away on the injury list until they are ‘test’

This is the same for most, if not all, clubs

Max has been 6-9 since he first injured the shoulder
The injury happened in the first week of Xmas, 9 weeks from there means he would have been available at the end of January.

The best way to determine the turn around is a Google search for the average return at AFL level for the specific injury, then from there you can apply a variation depending on how well the rehabilitation has progressed, some can return a little earlier, some can return a little later, even a lot later if there is a complication.

Take Steely's injury for example, a broken color bone is 8-12 weeks, last year Steely came back within 5 weeks and so the fact a fairly innocuous impact event obliterated the area of the original repair I wouldn't mind betting the doctors will be a little more conservative this time around, I'm guessing at least 8 weeks out this time around, at least. Why risk his long term career when a flag is not a realistic possibility this year.
There's already a plate there from last time, another plate going in. I hope they hold him back an extra week or 2 for his own sake
They need more flexible plates

..maybe the fact that plates are metal alloys that puts pressure on other bones and joints when there's impact.

...similarly...I remember hearing that they stopped taping up all players ankles because it created more risk of an acl injury
I think they're titanium.
There's a champion aussie BMX rider called Caroline Buchanan, she's been competing for years.
Maybe 4 yrs ago, she had to go under the knife for very extensive surgery, as she had several plates on her sternum, i think collarbone too, that hadn't done their job.
Needed removal and new ones.
Massive surgical job.
So yeah, surgery isn't 100% guaranteed.
I just hope he comes out the other side with no isues

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
St.Swannie

My old man and me have a theory .

They are actually adding a few weeks to the recovery to ensure that the injured players come back 110% strength and at 110% fitness to slot right back in, rather than have to build up some of their fitness base in game.
So Membrey could be back now, but he might be slightly underdone, and need to play a bit of fitness catchup, whereas they are pushing to ensure they are up with the same game day fitness and game plan sense so that they slot straight back in.

Just our theory, so looking forward to having these boys back soon.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St.Swannie wrote: Wed 05 Apr 2023 11:59am My old man and me have a theory .

They are actually adding a few weeks to the recovery to ensure that the injured players come back 110% strength and at 110% fitness to slot right back in, rather than have to build up some of their fitness base in game.
So Membrey could be back now, but he might be slightly underdone, and need to play a bit of fitness catchup, whereas they are pushing to ensure they are up with the same game day fitness and game plan sense so that they slot straight back in.

Just our theory, so looking forward to having these boys back soon.
I agree an if we were 0-3 I think we may have seen Membrey (as we would have in the past)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I agree with St Swannie.
When Windy was named as sub, I wondered why (as did many others).
It makes sense to hold guys back until they're at or near the level of the others.
If they're underdone, they can't run as much, so can't put pressure on and cover oppo, then they become a liability.
They can't perform their role for the whole game.
Having to spend too long on the bench to catch breath, will hurt our rotations.

The Injectors brought in Stringer after one VFL game, and named Hind as sub (41 possies in VFL) maybe cos Stringer is a burst player parked in F50, while Hind is a pure runner.

Remember Dal banging on about non-negotiables, plus Misson's extensive history with Ross and other teams.
Fantastic to see everyone on the same page.
Bloody unreal

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ozymandias

Doctor of Philosophy = PhD

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Apparently he did some running on Thursday, but he pulled up proppy at the end. Hopefully they can sort it before too much longer?