I like the team without Jones in it.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

I like the team without Jones in it.

Doesn't seem a good fit never did . Brynes seems a better replacement .

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: I like the team without Jones in it.

too injury prone and turns the ball over. I like his intensity at the ball, but our team is playing with that sort of tenacity atm.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to see how jones would go in this environment

I think he would go ok. Either way….more depth

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

How far away is he from returning?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

what an odd thread

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I think Byrnes is his replacement
Both iffy kicking
Byrnes has more upside
Keep playing Byrnes

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

As far as I’m concerned, Jones and Billings are done. Put a line through them. Have completely run out of patience with 5 years of ‘they’ll come good when they have a decent run with injury’.

They’ll both return to Sandy after the bye. Give me 7 weeks of playing every week, peak fitness, with those guys hammering down the door to get a game til they can be ignored no more… and I might think about playing one of them if whoever they would replace is struggling

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Saw Byrnes place some beautiful eye of the needle type passes the last few games. His kicking has improved.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 9:09pm As far as I’m concerned, Jones and Billings are done. Put a line through them. Have completely run out of patience with 5 years of ‘they’ll come good when they have a decent run with injury’.

They’ll both return to Sandy after the bye. Give me 7 weeks of playing every week, peak fitness, with those guys hammering down the door to get a game til they can be ignored no more… and I might think about playing one of them if whoever they would replace is struggling
The challenge is finding a critical mass of players who are capable of standing up in the closing minutes of a GF, our list is well short of a full compliment but I'm holding off until we have a much bigger sample size before saying Byrnes is the prototype for a GF appearance.

And it's strange that we would cut a player like Jones on the basis he is injury prone because if that is the criteria then Steely and King should be worried as both these players have lost way more footy through injury. I've got a feeling Jones could become a Lyon favorite as he fits the Lyon mould, competitive beast and can run and is incredibly strong defensively, Billings not so much but Ross may sprinkle magic dust on him so I'm reserving judgement until both players have played some footy under Ross.

like I say it's a strange thread, cocky even, I hope after a few wins some fans aren't anointing the current side as GF ready, the side will look totally different in 2 to 3 years time.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Jones seems more like a burst runner, whereas Byrnes more an endurance runner.

And I think RTB's game plan prefers the endurance runner, Dan McKenzie is another.

Billings has a lot of class and is creative, and would add value to our half forward line.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He makes us better

When he’s on, he’s a game breaker

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

We’ll be in a good spot if Jones is available and we don’t need to pick him.

When up and firing I think he’d fit well in to the current RTB system.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
murray 66
Club Player

Yeah Agreed.. I think Jones, Billings wont get back in. They will need a good spell at Sandy and need to bang the door down to have any chance.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 9:41pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 9:09pm As far as I’m concerned, Jones and Billings are done. Put a line through them. Have completely run out of patience with 5 years of ‘they’ll come good when they have a decent run with injury’.

The challenge is finding a critical mass of players who are capable of standing up in the closing minutes of a GF, our list is well short of a full compliment but I'm holding off until we have a much bigger sample size before saying Byrnes is the prototype for a GF appearance.

And it's strange that we would cut a player like Jones on the basis he is injury prone because if that is the criteria then Steely and King should be worried as both these players have lost way more footy through injury. I've got a feeling Jones could become a Lyon favorite as he fits the Lyon mould, competitive beast and can run and is incredibly strong defensively, Billings not so much but Ross may sprinkle magic dust on him so I'm reserving judgement until both players have played some footy under Ross.

like I say it's a strange thread, cocky even, I hope after a few wins some fans aren't anointing the current side as GF ready, the side will look totally different in 2 to 3 years time.
Look you’re not wrong but the comparison with Steele and King is not a good one as both have shown an ability to stay on the park when fit. They’re not chronically injured.

I’m not advocating for either to be cut but am just tired of this
B.M wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 10:11pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 10:23pm

When is all we get with them

Killa
Club Player

Jones has played several match defining games, over 30 disposals with pace and aggression the feature

But yes, with the likes of the youth shaping up as mid field contributors positions in our mid field will be on merit

So hopefully Jones has challenges to resume his AFL career

Because that will mean we are well resourced and well positioned

The fact we have injuries to Jones plus others has given opportunity to at least those who have replaced Steele, Membrey, Billings, King and Coffield

Those who have received opportunity include Cordy and Stocker recruited from other Clubs to give us depth

So who is in front between Stocker and Paton?

Noting Wanganeen-Milera is establishing in the back 6

So are both Stocker and Paton in for a fight when Coffield returns?

Byrnes has always impressed me with his pace, strength and neatness off both feet

He is now confirming that opinion as a vital player in this line up

We are a better side with the running abilities of Hill and Byrnes on the wings - and their disposal

Rubyjo
Club Player

Jones played some good games under Ratts but was a headless chook most of the time ..Lyon may sprinkle some fairy dust on him if that what it takes . I'm sure it's not ...but I'm positive he doesn't have the discipline...he is Hanneberry Sydney toasted .

B.M
Saintsational Legend

All teams pick a back 7

A front 7

And 8 mids (inc ruckman)

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 8:43pm what an odd thread
This is a fan forum.
She's expressing an opinion.
Totally fine by me

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
takeaway
Club Player

Jones has always been injury prone, but is an impact player, breaks lines and could be very valuable as the year progresses.

As for Billings, for the six years up until last year he averaged 20 games a year, so hardly injury prone. He did play a lot of 2021 with a foot injury, which may well have contributed to his issues since. 1.5 years yes, not 5. I think he will get back in the team after a one or two games with Sandy.

In fact, I think Jones and Billings will improve substantially as players on this forum once we lose a couple of games.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Shortsighted and blinkered thinking to be putting a line through anybody at this stage, particularly as we are currently very short for replacements. In a long season, they will be more than handy replacements that provide depth and competition for spots.

The players currently in the team need to know that there are talented and experienced players who can come in and take their spots if they don’t continue to do what is required.

List management at the end of the season is going to be very interesting if you consider that there isn’t much left to select from and the need to turn ~ 4 spots over to fit new players in for the trade period and December draft. Some of these guys are playing for their careers.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 10:34pm

Look you’re not wrong but the comparison with Steele and King is not a good one as both have shown an ability to stay on the park when fit. They’re not chronically injured.

I’m not advocating for either to be cut but am just tired of this
B.M wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 10:11pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 10:23pm

When is all we get with them
A full sample size could take Lyon until he has seen players after a complete stress test which may include some finals games:

Take Aaron Fiora for example, Lyon took over in 2007 and Aaron played all 22 games, in Lyons second year he only plays 10 games and one of 3 finals which just happened to be the prelim, Ross cut him after that game.

The moral of the story is the full stress test is for a player who can stand up in the closing minutes of a GF so Lyon is most likely going to find some players who look like rocks stars until they play in a game that counts for something. These first 4 games haven't proved much especially when it comes to a fringe player like Byrnes, and it may mean little also for a player like Billings who also looks like a rock star when things are going his way in games but goes missing in games when he's needed the most.

Out of Byrnes, Billings and Jones, if I had to guess who Lyon might prefer in his team it would be Jones because he is a competitive beast and possibly the most trustworthy.

So a bit hard to know who survives, but a fair bit of water to go under the bridge yet in terms of Lyon procuring a list he thinks can get him to the closing minutes of a GF hence why I thought this thread was odd, just going waaaaaaay too early.

Sample size...much bigger for mine.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 11:16pm

Jones played some good games under Ratts but was a headless chook most of the time ..Lyon may sprinkle some fairy dust on him if that what it takes . I'm sure it's not ...but I'm positive he doesn't have the discipline...he is Hanneberry Sydney toasted .
Wait until the magic dust comes out, if the magic doesn't happen after that then you can assume the axe will come down, way too early to call until Lyon gets a good look at all of the players on the list and have been put through the full stress test. The sample size is way too small.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 8:00pm Doesn't seem a good fit never did . Brynes seems a better replacement .
I think we all forget how good players are when they are constantly injured - Billings and McKenzie are others. When Jones is fully fit and in form he makes our midfield better, but he just hasnt had a decent run at it. Byrnes is playing very good footy but he also is playing on a wing, where Jones rarely plays. Byrnes would be competing with Billings and McKenzie when fit.

When these blokes finally return there is going to be some huge pressure for spots, which is great for the club. To think we have Steele, Jones, Membrey, Billings, Webster, Coffield, King and possibly McKenzie & Hayes to fit into the current side. Then we will also get see the kids like Keeler, Hotton, Allison and McLennan run around. Makes for some exciting times ahead to be a Saints supporters, hoping we have NO MORE injuries.

Im even looking forward to the trade/draft at seasons end, because finally we have a very good recruiting team!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Jones's first season with us was his best, but has had personal and injury issues over the trip, and a lot of his more recent games he would get the ball, hold on to it too long then run into trouble trying to take the opposition on- needed to use his burst pace to run out of congestion like he did in his first season- maybe Lyon can fix that. He would struggle to push Byrnes out of the team right now. He has been out for a long period, same as Coff, Billings and Dmac, and these guys are going to have to find form at Sandy.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 11 Apr 2023 2:24pm
A full sample size could take Lyon until he has seen players after a complete stress test which may include some finals games:

Take Aaron Fiora for example, Lyon took over in 2007 and Aaron played all 22 games, in Lyons second year he only plays 10 games and one of 3 finals which just happened to be the prelim, Ross cut him after that game.

The moral of the story is the full stress test is for a player who can stand up in the closing minutes of a GF so Lyon is most likely going to find some players who look like rocks stars until they play in a game that counts for something. These first 4 games haven't proved much...

So a bit hard to know who survives, but a fair bit of water to go under the bridge yet in terms of Lyon procuring a list he thinks can get him to the closing minutes of a GF hence why I thought this thread was odd, just going waaaaaaay too early.
I totally agree that finals is the ultimate test of each player and their worth, but...

Sometimes players (especially those with under 80-90 games) need a second chance.

The same should be said of the head coach. He was a relatively young head coach with us in 2009/2010. He made mistakes and he's acknowledged that

I have no doubt that he's a better coach now. He also improved with all the experience gained with his time at Fremantle

Especially his last 2-3 years there where they were essentially rebuilding the list.

I'd love for our youngsters to get the opportunity to play finals this year to wet their appetite but there will be some tough games soon against tough opposition where the coaches will work out who has the goods

When we come up against finals capable opposition like Collingwood this week and then Geelong and Sydney and Brisbane and Melbourne....That's where Ross and his assistants can start planning list management decisions.