Changes v paper baggers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Changes v paper baggers

bakes wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 10:06am We only lost by 6 points against very good opposition. Yes, some players had bad games, but they have enough points in the bank from the first 4 rounds to have another go. Changes should be minimal.

Out: Caminiti (suspended), Byrnes (omitted)

In: Membrey, Steele

Membrey will need to play tall.

Campbell will only come in if Marshall is injured.

Bytel or Byrnes play as the sub.

Byrnes did some good things but his disposals were panicked and not enough polish. He wasn't the only one, but to me he stood out.
Absolutely no chance Byrnes is getting dropped. Been fantastic this year. Was excellent again on the weekend with 22 touches, 4 tackles and a goal.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes, Bytel, Owens, NWM, Windhager, Caminiti and Matteas all need to stay in the side until either injury, suspension, or fatigue forces them out.

It is as important to the club's future as keeping Clark, Paton and Gresham in the 22 is.

They may have games where they are not as good as others, but playing in all of these games in front of big crowds with big pressure is fast tracking their development.

I'd be keeping the new recruits, Stocker and Cordy, in as well. Team balance seems to be going well on the face of it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
wally
Club Player

I reckon Campbell for Caminiti provide a contest and give Roma a chopout. Membrey replaces Corey. Gresham out for Steele although I wonder if he would be a good impact as a sub

axcellence
Club Player

Saad is an important out for the Blues

wally
Club Player

Cordy replaced by Membrey

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 1:45pm I reckon Campbell for Caminiti provide a contest and give Roma a chopout.
Not a bad shout, Play Marshall at FF for a game.

stkfc1
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 1:46pm Saad is an important out for the Blues
Without Saad the Blues are now treacle slow. They were slow already.

Im going to be very disappointed if we drop this game. Our outside run should have them well and truly covered.

They'll come out breathing fire to answer for last week's debacle but they just don't have the leg speed to go with us all day, so as long as we don't get 4-5 goals kicked on us to begin with (which I honestly can't see happening with the way we play), then we should really be able to run them off their feet. Especially on a deck as quick as Marvel.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 12:07pm Byrnes, Bytel, Owens, NWM, Windhager, Caminiti and Matteas all need to stay in the side until either injury, suspension, or fatigue forces them out.

It is as important to the club's future as keeping Clark, Paton and Gresham in the 22 is.

They may have games where they are not as good as others, but playing in all of these games in front of big crowds with big pressure is fast tracking their development.

I'd be keeping the new recruits, Stocker and Cordy, in as well. Team balance seems to be going well on the face of it.
Respectfully disagree Samurai

In fact, I am very concerned there will be a Softening’ now as the media saturate the airwaves with stories of how th saints are the ‘real deal’ or that they have ‘made it’.

I think we need to maintain the rage in the machine..and for doing that, the prospects for individuals long term development (eg they need an extended run in order to develop) should be sacrificed on the alter of getting 4 points and being as aggressive and fresh and not to mention, difficult for oppo coaches to match up with.

If I were an oppo coach and I could ‘smell’ the scent of players been given games ‘for development’ I would pounce and attempt to exploit it.

So unless Windy gets more involved , either by dent of strategy, will it luck, I’d say he won’t stay. Jones will impact and replace Bytel for a few weeks and then Bytel comes back. That kind of thing.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Killa
Club Player

Caminiti may not have had possession numbers but what he has supplied is a crash and bash presence in the contests, marking some but otherwise causing a ground ball

Membrey is not like for like

Membrey does not jump into marking contests

So a change of game plan and structure to accommodate Membrey over Caminiti?

Owens and Phillipou are both taller than Membrey

So there is our attack

Players at 191cm and shorter

So will they consider Heath?

At 204cm

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 2:52pm
samuraisaint wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 12:07pm Byrnes, Bytel, Owens, NWM, Windhager, Caminiti and Matteas all need to stay in the side until either injury, suspension, or fatigue forces them out.

In fact, I am very concerned there will be a Softening’ now as the media saturate the airwaves with stories of how th saints are the ‘real deal’ or that they have ‘made it’.

I think we need to maintain the rage in the machine..and for doing that, the prospects for individuals long term development (eg they need an extended run in order to develop) should be sacrificed on the alter of getting 4 points and being as aggressive and fresh and not to mention, difficult for oppo coaches to match up with.

If I were an oppo coach and I could ‘smell’ the scent of players been given games ‘for development’ I would pounce and attempt to exploit it.

So unless Windy gets more involved , either by dent of strategy, will it luck, I’d say he won’t stay. Jones will impact and replace Bytel for a few weeks and then Bytel comes back. That kind of thing.
I think players will come in and out of the side, no doubt, but my point is that probably five of the players on the injury list are highly unlikely to play in the senior team in 2023. They haven't done a pre-season, not a proper one anyway, and haven't had any match conditioning.

Several of them barely played last season which makes the likelihood of them playing this season risky. If they break down again, as many of them already have this year, in trying to prepare to play again, it will just mess up their pre-season for next season too.

To quote your example, I really rate Jones and all of my posts are about his ability to be creative and an individual who can turn the momentum of games our way, as well as being incredibly courageous, but he has been chronically injured and re-injured, and because I am a huge fan of him, I think it's better to let him get his body right I reckon, instead of rushing him back in.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
axcellence
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 18 Apr 2023 5:02pm According to yesterday's updated injury list on sportingnews.com.au Jack Steele is still 1-2 weeks away which would appear to me to be more than likely.....wonder if Lyons is playing mind games with Voss?

If Steele is cleared to play then he and Membrey are obvious Ins, probably for Bytel (sub) and the likely suspended Caminiti.

If Blues #1 ruckman Marc Pittonet recovers from his eye injury I'm wondering if selectors will look at bringing Tom Campbell in, as he's been dominating in the seconds, which as someone has pointed out will give St Kilda a chance to have another strong big man up forward.

This will depend on whether or not there is provision in the coaches' "system" and game plan for two ruckmen, and given how well the team has performed this year, maybe not....
Ross confirmed in the presser today that Steele will play against Carlton.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Can't see Cordy being dropped with Caminiti unavailable, nor will Byrnes lose his spot, his running has been elite.

They'll need to allocate someone to stop Sam Walsh from dominating, doubt they'll repeat the mistake with Nick Daicon given far too much latitude last Sunday, so for mine that assignment should be given to Marcus Windhager, Bytel sub again....

Talking about the game against Carlton, I was surprised to see that their gun forward Charlie Curnow is only 192cm, he appeared much taller to me, so you'd think Josh Battle who has been in fine form will play on him.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Campbell was doing a bit of goalkicking at training today, they had him at Full Forward in one of their drills, he was the last link in the drill, his job, kick it between the big sticks.

Not sure if it means anything for the Carlton game ?

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 4:41pm Can't see Cordy being dropped with Caminiti unavailable, nor will Byrnes lose his spot, his running has been elite.

They'll need to allocate someone to stop Sam Walsh from dominating, doubt they'll repeat the mistake with Nick Daicon given far too much latitude last Sunday, so for mine that assignment should be given to Marcus Windhager, Bytel sub again....

Talking about the game against Carlton, I was surprised to see that their gun forward Charlie Curnow is only 192cm, he appeared much taller to me, so you'd think Josh Battle who has been in fine form will play on him.
I agree that Cordy and Byrnes will stay. I also agree that Windhager might be useful in a tagging role. But then who comes out for Steele?

Like Membrey, Curnow plays taller than his height and is deceptively quick. Curnow has the added advantage over Membrey of being big and strong and thereby able to crash packs. McKay and Curnow vs Howard, Wilkie and Battle will be well worth watching.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
older saint
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 4:41pm Can't see Cordy being dropped with Caminiti unavailable, nor will Byrnes lose his spot, his running has been elite.

Battle more likely to take Silvani or McKay (Howard) as he pushes much further up the ground. Curnow more stays in 50 as he is a better kick for goal than McKay and that is where i think Wilkie will go.

I think the non tag of Daicos was as much about a true test of the system rather than a mistake. Walsh second game back (always tougher than first) but class player. depends if he lines up in the square or wing.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 4:58pm I think the non tag of Daicos was as much about a true test of the system rather than a mistake.
Interesting point. It is also the case that a good coach doesn't reveal their entire hand in regard to their game plan for dealing with a key competitor during the home and away rounds.

Which suggests that Lyon is prepared to consider the possibility of the Saints meeting the Pies again in a final this season. Dare I suggest that I find this idea "pleasing"?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
B.M
Saintsational Legend

At least with Cordy in

There’s no confusion/decision over who to sub out!

3q time
2k 3hb 4HO

Better bring in someone who can have some kind of influence?!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 5:10pm
older saint wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 4:58pm I think the non tag of Daicos was as much about a true test of the system rather than a mistake.
Interesting point. It is also the case that a good coach doesn't reveal their entire hand in regard to their game plan for dealing with a key competitor during the home and away rounds.

Which suggests that Lyon is prepared to consider the possibility of the Saints meeting the Pies again in a final this season. Dare I suggest that I find this idea "pleasing"?
He said in the presser that he will do something different about Daicos next time

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 5:45pm At least with Cordy in

There’s no confusion/decision over who to sub out!

3q time
2k 3hb 4HO

Better bring in someone who can have some kind of influence?!
Perhaps Gresham could be subbed on & try to show some interest, even if it's 5 minutes of interest.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Blues have a number of defenders waiting in the wings..from their reserves team...report on AFL .com

"The watch will be on Mitch McGovern, who was a late withdrawal last week due to calf tightness but has had 10 days to respond. Marc Pittonet (eye) should play but Adam Saad (hamstring) will miss having failed to finish last week's match. Alex Cincotta (37 disposals, eight marks) is pushing for an AFL debut and could replace him across half-back after continuing his solid run of reserves form. Key defender Sam Durdin (26 disposals, 16 marks) made an impressive return from a hamstring injury through the VFL, while midfield duo Jaxon Binns (30 disposals, 11 marks) and Paddy Dow (27 disposals, one goal) were also solid. Brodie Kemp (31 disposals, 11 marks) is finding some form down back."

I don't know if these guys are good, but they may change the potential matchups for St Kilda's forwards.

Cincotta is super quick.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

This one won’t be easy. Blues have a fair bit of star power - Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering for a start.

Their list suggests a top four side, but I think the jury is out on their coach - for what that is worth.

In: Steele, Membrey
Out: Caminiti, Bytel

older saint
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Thu 20 Apr 2023 2:45pm This one won’t be easy. Blues have a fair bit of star power - Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering for a start.

Their list suggests a top four side, but I think the jury is out on their coach - for what that is worth.

Bytel was the sub so not in the 22 - someone else will need to go out

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 20 Apr 2023 4:45pm
bigcarl wrote: Thu 20 Apr 2023 2:45pm This one won’t be easy. Blues have a fair bit of star power - Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering for a start.

Bytel was the sub so not in the 22 - someone else will need to go out
I know. Maybe Paton. Thought about Gresham - who was completely out of sorts last week - but we know he can be very damaging. Probably have to back him in

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 2:52pm

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Pittonet is named then that's another reason for Cordy to stay in the team to support Marshall

Cordy/Marshall/Owens v Pittonet/Dekonning/Silvagni

Cordy might also be needed in defence to support our talls

I'd be inclined to bring in Highmore for NWM. I know Nas is a beautiful kick, but he hasn't been defending too well recently. Tommy can just dish it off to Sincs or Hilly or Callum Wilkie. Even Dougs is a good kick out of defence

Not sure about Windy. If they have a tagging job for him he stays, otherwise Bytel gets to start and Windy is named as the sub