Friday night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Friday night

Ross admitted in the presser that the coaches muzzled the players, which might sound strange (go for the kill normally) but it makes sense to save the boys for a short turnaround.
Someone showed the TOG for several players, they were 75% or less.
Good coaching.

Being at Marvel, it's better than interstate.
I don't watch any Power games so I have no idea how they match up on us, but I think we're favourites.

I trust the coaches to do their homework and I trust the players to put in their best efforts.

What's everyone expecting?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Friday night

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 11:33am Ross admitted in the presser that the coaches muzzled the players, which might sound strange (go for the kill normally) but it makes sense to save the boys for a short turnaround.
Agree with your take on it, others thought we 'muzzled' the opponents. But listening to Ross he was talking about pulling the reigns in, so clearly a coaching strategy to ice the game.

I'm confident we will be cherry ripe for Port, who have similar forward line Injury worries as we had in Round 1 (no Georgiadies, Marshall, with Dixon doubtful). Also Jonas out hurts them.

Byrne-Jones (aka Coffield's twin) should play which is rough as he is a good player for them against our strategy.

older saint
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 11:33am Ross admitted in the presser that the coaches muzzled the players, which might sound strange (go for the kill normally) but it makes sense to save the boys for a short turnaround.
Good coaching.

I don't watch any Power games so I have no idea how they match up on us, but I think we're favourites.

I trust the coaches to do their homework and I trust the players to put in their best efforts.

Bogey side, although like a lot of things very different approach this year.
Port are going well, although a few injuries. That said their best is very good but when they are off they can be poor - Showdown.

IF we keep the intensity up and continue to wear teams down so they run out of puff late in the third and final qtrs should be ok.

As has been specked may without injuries may not be changes or minimal. Perhaps Windy gets a full game at Sandy and Bytel as sub?

outside66
Club Player

older saint wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 11:58am
Good coaching.

Port are going well, although a few injuries. That said their best is very good but when they are off they can be poor - Showdown.

IF we keep the intensity up and continue to wear teams down so they run out of puff late in the third and final qtrs should be ok.

As has been specked may without injuries may not be changes or minimal. Perhaps Windy gets a full game at Sandy and Bytel as sub?
Sandy have a BYE this week. Would like to see Bytel rewarded and brought in for Windy - Windy looks like he could do with a reset.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We've won just 1 of our last 12 vs Port Adelaide, and we've not beaten them at Docklands since 2010.

One year ago we we're 5-1, we played Port and went in as warm favourites. Lost by a point.

They are our bogey side. We need to make a statement this week.

stkfc1
Club Player

Playing them here for the first time in forever, defintley helps our cause.
Jonas is a big out for them. Farrell also gives them drive off HB so he'll be missed. Need to keep Allir honest. He likes to zone off for the intecept. Reckon we match up well aginst them around the ground. Hopefully Dixon doesnt come up but we can cover him if he does.
Adelaide showed that they dont like pressure. They got sloppy and turnovers aplenty, which we are now the masters of scoring from.
Just gotta bring the pressure and we'll be right in it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 11:57am
Agree with your take on it, others thought we 'muzzled' the opponents. But listening to Ross he was talking about pulling the reigns in, so clearly a coaching strategy to ice the game.

I'm confident we will be cherry ripe for Port, who have similar forward line Injury worries as we had in Round 1 (no Georgiadies, Marshall, with Dixon doubtful). Also Jonas out hurts them.

Byrne-Jones (aka Coffield's twin) should play which is rough as he is a good player for them against our strategy.
https://www.saints.com.au/video/1314880 ... 2243287001

I'm not sure that you are right.

' Last 10 minutes I thought we could keep going, but we tightened the reins on them, muzzled them a bit."
Last edited by saynta on Wed 26 Apr 2023 2:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 1:14pm Playing them here for the first time in forever, defintley helps our cause.
Jonas is a big out for them. Farrell also gives them drive off HB so he'll be missed. Need to keep Allir honest. He likes to zone off for the intecept. Reckon we match up well aginst them around the ground. Hopefully Dixon doesnt come up but we can cover him if he does.
Adelaide showed that they dont like pressure. They got sloppy and turnovers aplenty, which we are now the masters of scoring from.
Just gotta bring the pressure and we'll be right in it.
I reckon Marshall missing and Georgiadis looking like missing to come in is a big problem for them. If Dixon ends up missing we are surely in the box seat. Just have to keep doing what we're doing

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Someone on Fox (I think) said we scored 50 goals off turnovers, the highest in the comp by far.
As long as we apply pressure on them, hopefully we keep up our good forward play and score

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
ace
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 1:02pm
older saint wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 11:58am
Good coaching.

Sandy have a BYE this week. Would like to see Bytel rewarded and brought in for Windy - Windy looks like he could do with a reset.
Maybe the unused Saints players could have intra club match among themselves, instead of 6,6,6 then could play 1,1,1.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well it's unfortunate Port won't have R. Gray, it's not at Cazaly's, and there won't be a quagmire, but nevertheless we should cope.
Who's umpiring. Hopefully one that lets Battle use his strength.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Predictions (doesn't need another thread)

First goal
Gresh
Most goals
Higgo (3)
Most possies
The Mullet (35 same as his number)

Margin (NFI)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 1:12pm We've won just 1 of our last 12 vs Port Adelaide, and we've not beaten them at Docklands since 2010.

One year ago we we're 5-1, we played Port and went in as warm favourites. Lost by a point.

What's with the we're? You are not the only one to commit that particular grammatical sin though.

We're is short for we are. I am sure you mean 'were'.

quidnunc
Club Player

Very true saynta. But we've can be short for we have. Just saying!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote: ↑Thu 27 Apr 2023 6:56am Very true saynta. But we've can be short for we have. Just saying!
Not in this instance:
Beno88 wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 1:12pm One year ago we we're 5-1, we played Port and went in as warm favourites. Lost by a point.
I bet you saw the first two - but missed the third

β€œYouth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
quidnunc
Club Player

Very true = my humble apologies.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 7:55pm
Beno88 wrote: ↑Wed 26 Apr 2023 1:12pm We've won just 1 of our last 12 vs Port Adelaide, and we've not beaten them at Docklands since 2010.

What's with the we're? You are not the only one to commit that particular grammatical sin though.

iPhone predictive text at it's finest. It's a pet hate of mine as well.

Although, I'm a strange target for your outrage (given some on here can't even spell the player's names correctly), I challenge you to find another error in my 2,100 posts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote: ↑Thu 27 Apr 2023 7:47am Very true = my humble apologies.
:twisted:

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I listened to port v eagles on radio last week while working. Port were in complete control till half time - 36 up then two quick goals at the start of the third. All set to win by 100 and boost their %. But the eagles fought it right out till the end with a depleted team. Rozee was BOG but he was against kids perhaps. Port are a good team but I think we should win. At the moment our wins have been like - β€˜ok, beat us. Do your best to beat us.’ Only the filth have done that. Our system works and works very well.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

But can he spell JosΓ©???
saynta wrote: ↑Sun 23 Apr 2023 3:52pm for the record I do know how to spell Josa. :roll: :roll:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: ↑Thu 27 Apr 2023 9:05am

Although, I'm a strange target for your outrage (given some on here can't even spell the player's names correctly), I challenge you to find another error in my 2,100 posts.
Bingo. Another error.
'Predictive text at it's finest' πŸ˜†πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜³

It has to be 'its' with no apostrophe.
It's - is purely a shortening of 'it is'.

This is possessive case. Look it up
πŸ˜†πŸ€”

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Also...you should've written
"the players' names"

Apostrophe after the 's' because of the plural.

You're welcome πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜†

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:50pm

"the players' names"

:wink:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:50pm

"the players' names"

F**k me dead. Get a life you pathetic clown.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

We could all use a bit of grammar tuition...why take it personally?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi