Mids

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mids

Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:54pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:49pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:48pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:44pm As I said B M, best ignore.
Oh FFS please god I wish you would
Stop commenting on posters again on the site and stirring up shyte again …now toddle off to mids line u usually do or stick to gramma correction …more your level of footy knowledge
Like you do? Stop talking crap and I won't feel the need to correct your ignorance.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
This site doesn’t need a failed lawyer correcting anyone anything
Stick to footy or put me on foe like I’ve asked 2-3 times
You add NOTHING by way of good footy content and just stir the pot
Now do us all a favour and ignore away
Shoo fly, go away little boy. You must be looking inwards when you post as they reflect what you add to this forum.

Hell would have to have frozen over for me to anything then likes of you request. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:55pm Seb won’t be in our next flag, because we are miles off contending and he is 30 this year.

Not because he hasn’t got the ability to be part of a premiership team.

He just got drafted to the wrong club - as far as team success goes!
Are you chairman of his cheer squad?
Regardless we gotta evolve or we can forget flags
Players like Ross (who I thought was ok against Port) play their role now
That then go when the future comes and I don’t think it’s that far away …

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If I sat around with Tim and Seb I’d show them som fkn respect for having outstanding careers as loyal saints servants

Membrey 12 possessions 5 marks 1 goal
Cordy 1 possession 1 mark 1 goal

One of those was s*** - you decide which one

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:59pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:54pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:49pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:48pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:44pm As I said B M, best ignore.
Oh FFS please god I wish you would
Stop commenting on posters again on the site and stirring up shyte again …now toddle off to mids line u usually do or stick to gramma correction …more your level of footy knowledge
Like you do? Stop talking crap and I won't feel the need to correct your ignorance.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
This site doesn’t need a failed lawyer correcting anyone anything
Stick to footy or put me on foe like I’ve asked 2-3 times
You add NOTHING by way of good footy content and just stir the pot
Now do us all a favour and ignore away
Shoo fly, go away little boy. You must be looking inwards when you post as they reflect what you add to this forum.

Hell would have to have frozen over for me to anything then likes of you request. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
That post is incoherent to go with your incontinence
Now stop quoting me

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 7:00pm If I sat around with Tim and Seb I’d show them som fkn respect for having outstanding careers as loyal saints servants

:wink: 8-)

I for the life of me can't see what anyone sees in Cordy, no matter how many times he is mentioned by the coach.

Membrey had a poor game. Second game back is often like that.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 30 Apr 2023 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 7:00pm If I sat around with Tim and Seb I’d show them som fkn respect for having outstanding careers as loyal saints servants

I’ll let Ross decide
He mentioned Cordy doing all he’s asked of him in his presser and suggested Tim would get better (cause he has too)
You can sit around fawning over individuals all you like
I’m only interested in fawning over our 2nd Premiership side
Rest is BS

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And when are we winning this second premiership?

BTW
Everyone plays an average game - Crouch was poor vs Port - is generally good

How did you see Tim’s game the week before??

Interested???

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Neither was s***.
Membrey was more ordinary given role and butchered/ missed important opportunities. Hardly gave physical pressure on opponents. Would not be surprised to see him dropped soon. Living on a fading reputation.

Zaine would know he is just keeping a place warm - good journeyman. Zaine won't lose us a game. Tim will.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That statement doesn’t make sense - how does a player lose a game for a team? Playing poorly???

I think you mean
Zaine won’t win us a game, but Tim might???

One player has been a quality AFL hybrid forward for 8 seasons

150 odd games 250 goals

The other (not a journeyman- he’s only played at one club before us) an average defender, and woeful forward.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

RTB does praise Cordy in his pressers, probably because he is being asked to play a role that is beyond him and he is doing it as diligently as he can.
We are 5-2 so it hasn't been a total failure, but as soon as we have a better option, Cordy needs to go back to the reserves, because that is what he is , a reserve.

I hope we switch it around against North and we play Campbell instead.

Week after - Caminiti returns

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Getting back on topic. The mids were just as much to blame (if not more than the inefficient forward line and the mistakes by the backs)

The game was within our grasp. We were only 2 points down after Hunter kicked that beautiful goal in the last. Port only had about 7 entries for 3 goals while we had about 15 inside 50’s for 3 goals in the last qtr.

Instead of the mids running and gunning which only happened once with Hunter Clark when he ran clear and demanded the footy late in the game, most of the time they kicked a tired long bomb to no one. After Hunter’s goal, Rowan actually got a clean ruck tap to advantage for the mids. Ball landed in Crouch’s lap and Brad took 2 steps and kicked forward straight to a Port player at Centre Half Back. We kept sabotaging our chances to gain back momentum

Steele made the blue of thinking he had time (not sure if the communication was good or if he didn't hear that he was 'hot') but that was costly. Also a sign that the team ethic and playing on instinct deserted us for most parts on Friday night. Instead of sharing the ball, too many of our players wanted to do it all themselves

After the Dixon goal it put them 8 points up. Ball goes to the middle and again we win a centre clearance. There's under 6 minutes to go at this stage

Marshall gets a clear tap to Sinclair who handballs to Steele who gets it to Crouch. Boak is on his hammer so Crouch kicks to the flank. There’s no clean possession until again Sinclair and Steel combine and Crouch is the beneficiary. Instead of Brad using his captain who is free on the wing near the boundary he bombs it into the half forward flank (for a pathetic shallow entry) and we wasted another inside 50.

Allir marks about 45 out from our goal and then Port start controlling the footy and looking for the loose man. Port are still 8 points up and basically they win most of the 50/50 ball. They were more desperate and they won the ground ball contests.

Our last inside 50 was a typically tired and wasteful entry from our mids. Marshall got a clear tap to advantage. Steele handballed to Sebby who kicked a lollipop up and under. Marked again by Allir

Some will have us believe the mids were doing the right thing, but by this stage late in the last they are AWARE that Cordy has been subbed off. Port scored 57% of the time they entered their forward arc compared to St Kilda's 33% for the quarter.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 01 May 2023 1:23am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 11:28pm RTB does praise Cordy in his pressers, probably because he is being asked to play a role that is beyond him and he is doing it as diligently as he can.
We are 5-2 so it hasn't been a total failure, but as soon as we have a better option, Cordy needs to go back to the reserves, because that is what he is , a reserve.

I hope we switch it around against North and we play Campbell instead.

Week after - Caminiti returns
Yep that’s how I see it
Martin thinks Ross talks out his bum cause only Martin knows footy …right?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 7:29pm

Neither was s***.
Membrey was more ordinary given role and butchered/ missed important opportunities. Hardly gave physical pressure on opponents. Would not be surprised to see him dropped soon. Living on a fading reputation.

Zaine would know he is just keeping a place warm - good journeyman. Zaine won't lose us a game. Tim will.
We’ll said
You’re only as good as you’re next game - reputation and what you did 3 years ago means squat
Membrey was a liability as no 1 forward in the weekend
No run no pressure no crash pack …just slow decision making and that weird little two legged jump that saw him easily brushed aside…
He’s not the future imo
He’ll bounce back against Nth
But we’ll see how he goes against top 4 opponents when the heats on like it was against Port

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmike65
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:37pm
B.M wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:22pm Recorded the third highest top end speed last season

Hill at 35.1 was obviously fastest
Surprisingly Kent was 2nd fastest at 34.5
And Seb 3rd at 33.9

He is an absolute power runner
Thanks mate. At least you know your footballing and footballers.

The amount of crap posted on here about Seb is unbelievable.

I think it is mainly from posters who wrote Seb off early days and are now f****** embarrassed.

Those posters opinions are just better ignored.
I don’t recall anyone bagging Seb for a while now..he’s been good all last season and this season!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Not sure who’s bagging Seb. He’s been a good player for a number of years.

Point is - mine at least - that we haven’t had a champion - genuinely elite - midfielder probably since Lenny.

Maybe it’s Owens

stkfc1
Club Player

Steele hasn't looked right since his return. Maybe the injury is hampering him either mentally or physically or even both. I think they've rushed him back too soon. Should have given him a run around in the 2s for a couple of games to get his confidence back and let Windy and Bytel get proper gametime into them. Think we missed an opportunity there.

saintbob
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 5:13pm Get Owens in there ASAP, which will be when King and “Kid Caminiti” are back.

Owens may put the wind up some of our more established midfielders, but I’m more mindful of what he will do to our opponents. He is ready and a real weapon
My thoughts exactly, unleash the beast!! 👍

Killa
Club Player

Ross has the reputation he has for good reason and over a long career

But competition is coming - Windhager, Owens and Phillipou for starters

Plus the likes of Sinclair and Clark

So who do these players put pressure on for midfield time?

With Ross, he tends to stand still with the ball so not surging with it, is almost exclusively left foot but not to Woods delivery level because he is mostly “around the corner” not run and straight hence very few goals plus he is not strong overhead (so can’t go forward or back)

Then, is he in front of the Captain and Crouch?

For these reasons I see Ross as the first point of competition - and that is an outcome which will see an improved St Kilda

Which it is all about going forward - not looking back

Sanctorum
Club Player

Question: with a weaker opponent next Sunday, should selectors pick both Windhager and Bytel to play against North, and if so, who should miss out??

The reason I'm thinking this way is that both these young midfielders have yet to play a full game in the seniors and deserve the opportunity to show why they should feature in the best 22 on a regular basis. Would they have been more effective in nullifying the dynamic Jason HF in Friday night's game, or disposing of the ball more precisely than did Brad Crouch?.

For mine, as much as Byrnes has been favoured for his elite running, I believe the strong-bodied Bytel is overall a better player, he's a really solid inside mid. And perhaps a short rest might help Crouch to work on his disposal skills in readiness for the game against his former team the following week.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 01 May 2023 12:07pm Not sure who’s bagging Seb. He’s been a good player for a number of years.

Point is - mine at least - that we haven’t had a champion - genuinely elite - midfielder probably since Lenny.

Maybe it’s Owens
I think that’s right
When we need a critical clearance from middle we simply don’t have that big bodied bull mid who can also burst clear ska JHF/Petracca/Bont
Our midfield is capable but let’s face it the other night between Boak, JHF , SPP and Wines they got beaten up during that 2nd/3rd qtr where the game was won
I’m praying Owens …in time Windhager and Pou but also for sheer ball use class into 50….Sinclair get to spend more time there

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:22pm Recorded the third highest top end speed last season

Hill at 35.1 was obviously fastest
Surprisingly Kent was 2nd fastest at 34.5
And Seb 3rd at 33.9

He is an absolute power runner
At 32.9kph a runner covers 9.139m in a second
If he runs 1kph faster 33.9kph he will cover 9.417m in a second putting a gap on an opponent of 0.278m.
Enough to evade a tackle at a distance of just under 10m.
At 35.1kph Hill would evade a Ross tackle at 33.9kph in under 10m.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 8:28pm That statement doesn’t make sense - how does a player lose a game for a team? Playing poorly???

I think you mean
Zaine won’t win us a game, but Tim might???

One player has been a quality AFL hybrid forward for 8 seasons

150 odd games 250 goals

The other (not a journeyman- he’s only played at one club before us) an average defender, and woeful forward.
Yes you are correct.
Tim missed/muffed chances, allowed Port defenders to dominate at critical times.
If he had performed his role as he is charged with as a key forward we would not have lost. He played poorly.
Btw, didn't Cordy kick as many goals as Tim.
I think you understand- it's about discharging system roles. Zaine is a great team player, Tim isn't.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Members not being a team player is provocative

Isn't he in the leadership group

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 01 May 2023 7:38pm
Tim missed/muffed chances, allowed Port defenders to dominate at critical times.
If he had performed his role as he is charged with as a key forward we would not have lost. He played poorly.
Key forward? Tim is a massive 188cm tall! Owens and The Poo are both taller.

He is an exceptional mark for his size, but he is not a key position forward.

Tim is a "third tall" which is code for a player who is a good mark, but does not have the size to play as a key forward.

He needs to the foil to the dual act King and Caminiti. Or at least one of them.

With Cordy the supposed Key Position Decoy to much load goes on to Tim.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 01 May 2023 8:13pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 01 May 2023 7:38pm
Key forward? Tim is a massive 188cm tall! Owens and The Poo are both taller.

He is an exceptional mark for his size, but he is not a key position forward.

Tim is a "third tall" which is code for a player who is a good mark, but does not have the size to play as a key forward.

He needs to the foil to the dual act King and Caminiti. Or at least one of them.

With Cordy the supposed Key Position Decoy to much load goes on to Tim.
It will be interesting if they play all of Tim Caminiti and King together… Long term I think Tim gets pushed out and that’s a good thing as it means we’ve developed

“Yeah….nah””