Nick Walsh Quits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Walsh Quits

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 5:24pm
saynta wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 11:31am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1321285/ ... rts-saints

"Nick has brought a high-level of professionalism and dedication to the role which has seen him win great respect with staff and players.

“Nick indicated to us this week that he wanted to take a break from his role at the Club and look to what’s next in his professional career. We fully support his decision to do so and wish him all the very best.”

Weird, very weird.

You don't walk out on a club a third of the way into a season, you just don't.
Saynta, you're not the only supporter who was unimpressed with Ratten's sacking and disenchanted with Lyon's appointment as head coach who will see some sinister or ulterior motive in this latest development at Moorabbin.

I get that, but feel a bit sorry for you because nursing ill-feelings towards Ross Lyon serves no purpose other than to make you feel miserable and ignores the reality that RTB is here to stay. After all, the club in its infinite wisdom was only doing what they judged to be best for the future of our footy teeam.

There have been many reports in the media that the players have great respect for Lyon and by virtue of the way they are playing that is patently obvious. If this is good enough for the players it should also put supporters' minds at rest.

It is also important to remember that neither Misson nor Lyon make decisions about senior staff appointments without the full backing of the CEO and Board.

But I also acknowledge that it is still too soon to know if Misson/Lyon has been the right decision.

I personally believe it is and that ultimately this will result in St Kilda performing much better than it has in the past 12 seasons....it's a matter of opinion.
Hey mate, love your posts as a rule but this one is so far of the mark that it made me laugh. I voice an opinion that Nick quitting 1/3 into the season was weird, and it is. Wasn't even thinking about RTB at the time. Thought that their might have been tension between Misson and Walsh is all.

Save your sympathy for someone else as I am more than happy how this season is progressing, aside from injuries.

Oh, ps, I accepted RTB as coach a long time ago, before Christmas even.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 03 May 2023 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 9:00pm
saynta wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 11:31am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1321285/ ... rts-saints

"Nick has brought a high-level of professionalism and dedication to the role which has seen him win great respect with staff and players.

“Nick indicated to us this week that he wanted to take a break from his role at the Club and look to what’s next in his professional career. We fully support his decision to do so and wish him all the very best.”

Weird, very weird.

Saynta, you're not the only supporter who was unimpressed with Ratten's sacking and disenchanted with Lyon's appointment as head coach who will see some sinister or ulterior motive in this latest development at Moorabbin.

I get that, but feel a bit sorry for you because nursing ill-feelings towards Ross Lyon serves no purpose other than to make you feel miserable and ignores the reality that RTB is here to stay. After all, the club in its infinite wisdom was only doing what they judged to be best for the future of our footy teeam.

There have been many reports in the media that the players have great respect for Lyon and by virtue of the way they are playing that is patently obvious. If this is good enough for the players it should also put supporters' minds at rest.

It is also important to remember that neither Misson nor Lyon make decisions about senior staff appointments without the full backing of the CEO and Board.

But I also acknowledge that it is still too soon to know if Misson/Lyon has been the right decision.

I personally believe it is and that ultimately this will result in St Kilda performing much better than it has in the past 12 seasons....it's a matter of opinion.
Hey mate, love your posts as a rule but this one is so far of the mark that it made me laugh. I voice an opinion that Nick quitting 1/3 into the season was weird, and it is. Wasn't even thinking about RTB at the time. Thought that their might have been tension between Misson and Walsh is all.

Save your sympathy for someone else as I am more than happy how this season is progressing, aside from injuries.

Oh, ps, I accepted RTB as coach a long tome ago, before Christmas even.
there FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex you create multi quoted text and needlessly extend others.

sorry mate but you are a pest.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 9:02pm
saynta wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 9:00pm

Weird, very weird.

Oh, ps, I accepted RTB as coach a long tome ago, before Christmas even.
there FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:
Got me. :oops: :oops: :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Weird, very weird.

Excellent post - well said.

“Yeah….nah””
The Craw
Club Player

Maybe Walsh wasn't happy with the state of injured players being pushed forward to start training again but was told to train them anyway.

There is a big difference between rehab and strength and conditioning. If the body is not ready of course it will break down.

It makes it very hard to do your job properly if that is the case and most of these injuries have occurred after time in rehab which he has, as far as I am aware not his area of expertise.

Not Craw, CRAW!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 1:49pm Maybe Walsh wasn't happy with the state of injured players being pushed forward to start training again but was told to train them anyway.

There is a big difference between rehab and strength and conditioning. If the body is not ready of course it will break down.

It makes it very hard to do your job properly if that is the case and most of these injuries have occurred after time in rehab which he has, as far as I am aware not his area of expertise.
Could be although I think tony has poured cold water on any criticism of Walsh.

We are just speculating.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The injuries are obviously topical. Walsh is the strength and conditioning man.
Lyon has praised his staff when they deserved it and has said he lets the assistants do theor job.
Perhaps Walsh was questioned and didn't have the motivation to provide an answer and decided to leave. He's done a fair jobs with a lot of players, others seem chronically injured.
As long as he same criteria is applied to the chronically injured I'm fine with that.
Carrying injured players who can't rehab effectively, isn't good.
There millions of dollars that we can't get on the field.
At least it appears the questions have been asked, now the solutions need to be found. Misson and Lyon are now responsible for fixing it.

outside66
Club Player

https://www.saints.com.au/video/1321870 ... 3086212001

Loving the transparency of Ross. Basically said that Walsh didn't/doesn't fit his model and his role was changed with the new leadership regime coming in. Walsh not satisfied with that and moved on as a result. Sounds like we've got someone from another club locked in.

loris
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 4:57pm https://www.saints.com.au/video/1321870 ... 3086212001

Loving the transparency of Ross. Basically said that Walsh didn't/doesn't fit his model and his role was changed with the new leadership regime coming in. Walsh not satisfied with that and moved on as a result. Sounds like we've got someone from another club locked in.
Yes Ross spent a fair amount of time explaining situation- some won’t believe it, they’ll have their additional conspiracy theories.
Which club did Sean Dempster go to? Was it Hawthorn? I know he was part-time with Saints whilst he was doing his Masters
Maybe ‘The Dumpster’. Will be re-United with the old team?

outside66
Club Player

loris wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 5:13pm
outside66 wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 4:57pm https://www.saints.com.au/video/1321870 ... 3086212001

Yes Ross spent a fair amount of time explaining situation- some won’t believe it, they’ll have their additional conspiracy theories.
Which club did Sean Dempster go to? Was it Hawthorn? I know he was part-time with Saints whilst he was doing his Masters
Maybe ‘The Dumpster’. Will be re-United with the old team?
That would be the perfect outcome!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly, Dempster was going to join the Saints in 2020 but I think Covid stalled those plans. Could he oversee the program though? Misson's handpuppet maybe, a collaborator, who is already in tune with the system.
Long-shot perhaps, but a fair consideration.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It seems as though they have appointed someone else already

Must have been poached

Waiting for OK from anode club to release them from their contract!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 6:40pm It seems as though they have appointed someone else already

Must have been poached

Waiting for OK from anode club to release them from their contract!
Gee what it does seem like is Lyon has a fair say in “the model” to the point of being in discussion with whomever they’re poaching…
Far cry from Coach has nothing to do with strength and conditioning roles lol
Hope GT was watching ….
“Training Services…” …..peerleease

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

High Performance- please

What the name got to do with it?!

Misson would be the one who sought this guy out.

Are you saying Lyon is a megalomaniac and has to control everything and hire only who he sees fit

Far cry from when GT let people do their jobs

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it was around terminology.
"Indefinite " has a ring of foreboding.
Hint of no idea, but trying stuff, when used in the context of an injured player recovering.
We had a few Indefinites I think, and the spectre of recent sore point daddy of indefinites in Dan Hannebery hanging around.
Maybe if the classification was something like " about 6 months" there is at least a faint light at the end of the tunnel.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The press conference today shines some light on the situation.

Soft cap (good for us, it seems)
Less specific roles as a result of the soft cap
Also brought in footy analyst and sports scientist
Want to bring in a senior "Footy GM" role to oversee, or free up Misson to do this.
Clearly something had to give in the soft cap
Wasn't forced but decision linked to job satisfaction (read: We made his life hard enough so he decided to leave)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 04 May 2023 8:28am The press conference today shines some light on the situation.

Soft cap (good for us, it seems)
Less specific roles as a result of the soft cap
Also brought in footy analyst and sports scientist
Want to bring in a senior "Footy GM" role to oversee, or free up Misson to do this.
Clearly something had to give in the soft cap
Wasn't forced but decision linked to job satisfaction (read: We made his life hard enough so he decided to leave)
It's not about individuals. Walsh clearly decided he was not the right fit.

I wonder what Gresham will decide? I'm guessing we are going to see the best he has, or we will see him fall into the mould of the system and occasionally have match winning quarters.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Alex Sakadjian

Is the new guy

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 04 May 2023 10:34am Alex Sakadjian

Is the new guy
Know anything about him?

El Wood
Club Player

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Should be good with pharmacology then!

Templar
Club Player

8 years at demons (inc with misson), started at bombers late October 2021, Saints supporter.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hang on.......weren't Essendon hopelessly unfit in 2022?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 04 May 2023 12:55pm Hang on.......weren't Essendon hopelessly unfit in 2022?
Don't know the answer to that. They look ok this year.