Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

B.M wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 2:05am You’re obviously not Tasmanian?

I am

Tassie Devils are native to TAS and are synonymous with the state

Perfect name

Maybe not as relevant the Sun, Giants or Power or Dockers… but identifiable as a brand
It’s just like I said…
It’s the most well known thing about Tassie and part of all the branding and has been for 50+ years. For me it’s boring. Same reference over and over again
Is every team in Tassie to be named after the same animal

No doubt it’s the favourite choice and is pbly what will happen

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Getting too creative over the obvious is a big mistake (same with drafting or selection!)

StK has been called the Saints for a long time - is that boring?!

It needs to relate and be connected to the brand and people

happy feet
Club Player

I wonder if the Warner Bros issue was the cause for the Tassie basketball team to be called the Jackjumpers.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

The huge, polka-dot elephant in the room seems to have been conveniently overlooked by the media. Everyone seems to be wearing rose coloured glasses, overlooking the dramatic drop in football participation in recent decades.

Many VFL / AFL players were recruited from the Tasmanian Football League, the Northern Tasmanian Football League (Association from 1996) and the North West Football Union. All three were regarded as equals and players considered good enough could pretty well get a game with a VFL club.

Today, there is just one premier league with only 7 clubs, Hobart cubs North Hobart, Clarence, Glenorchy, Lauderdale, Kingborough and Launceston based North Launceston and Launceston. Great clubs like Sandy Bay, New Norfolk and South Launceston (City-South merged with East Launceston) and others could not compete with the demands of the new State League that replaced the three major leagues and either wound up or moved to lesser leagues.

The North West Football League comprises 7 senior clubs; Devonport, Burnie, Wynyard, Latrobe, Ulverstone, Penguin and Circular Head.

The State League concept proved beyond reasonable doubt that Tassie did not have the population and financial resources to support the clubs at this level. This effect has flooded down through minor leagues and junior ranks. And, as we have experienced elsewhere, direct TV coverage of AFL games has delivered a devastating effect on attendances and income for community clubs.

The cruncher, as always, will be the ability of Northern and Southern Tasmanians to look each other in the eyes and accept the have been gifted, not earnt, an AFL licence and a brand new stadium built in the middle of Hobart, not Launceston, and that Cascade and Boags are equally fine drops. And accept that pettiness has cost Tasmanian footy deals in the past and cannot continue into the future.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

When I lived in Tasmania (Jan 1964 to Nov 1966) the three leagues were the TFL. the NTFA and the NWFU.

Whether the competition based in and around Launceston was ever called the NTFL is unknown to me but I can tell you that no one in Launceston ever drank Cascade which I regarded as worse than drinking cold piss.

I am biased though as the Boags were family friends and the brothers were visitors to our house. One of the children also worked for my dad.

I remember once swapping labels on a Boags bottle with one from a Fosters at a dinner party at home, but Mr Boag was very quick to correctly identify my attempt at deception.

Some of the original yeast used by the Boags Brewery came from Carlton and United Breweries so Boags had a head start on the piss from Hobart.

I played footy for an amateur team in Launceston which was also part of a very strong competition in those days.

Ian drake who was a life time friend of my father also used to stay at our house on his frequent recruiting trips to Tassie. Barry Lawrence and John Bonny come to mind.

When I was working there I came into frequent contact with Graeme (Gypsy) Lee and Roy Apted who I knew from the Junction Oval.

I loved Saints Tassie Footballers of who there were many.

So I am sad to hear of the general demise of footy in Tassie. Happily this should change now.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 06 May 2023 5:45pm, edited 2 times in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

wait...new norfolk are no longer a thing?
visited tassie for junior state rep hockey and went to a footy game way back in 81 and new norfolk were playing some team i've forgotten in hobart's main oval. discovered two things - new norfolk wore saints colours, and tassie's national pies were far, far better than those cruddy four and twenties.
vale new norfolk.
whilst i was there two sports journos had to jump off the pier and swim back as they'd mocked hudson's comeback from retirement and made the pledge sure he'd fail - he kicked a heap and they got wet. champion to the end.

as for the tassie devils - gotta be - they will be tassie's highest profile sporting team, anything else would be a compromise.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I don’t have a second side
I do now

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 5:40pm I don’t have a second side
I do now
Not me mate, no never. The giants have tried to rope people in Canberra in as Giant fans or as their second team. Hasn't worked.

For the record, in my humble opinion, you stick with your first love.

I may have lived there once but my dislike is still keenly felt.

Unless you are born there you are never accepted and in my experience there is no such thing as a wanna be Taswegian.

All the same I am glad they now have a team but I will be really pissed off if it wins a premiership before the Saints next one.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I hearya and it is always the saints

But I have a soft spot for tassy and unless we play them I will barrack for them

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

There has been a significant drop in people playing organized team sports for decades, not only across Australia, but across the UK and America. Even with the populations of these places growing. It’s a wise move from that perspective too.

I see it as a consolidation move, like damming a river that is draining itself into the sea off computer gaming and other stuff kids (and adults) do.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=decli ... ent=safari

Edit: I am assuming that they have computers in Tasmania.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Roy and HG suggested the name be the Tassie Roadkill

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 3:43pm
StK has been called the Saints for a long time - is that boring?!
Do you really think that’s an apples to apples comparison?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 6:17pm There has been a significant drop in people playing organized team sports for decades, not only across Australia, but across the UK and America. Even with the populations of these places growing. It’s a wise move from that perspective too.

I see it as a consolidation move, like damming a river that is draining itself into the sea off computer gaming and other stuff kids (and adults) do.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=decli ... ent=safari

Edit: I am assuming that they have computers in Tasmania.
You are also assuming that they have electricity.

When the family first flew into Tassie (Devonport) in 1964 in an old DC4 (TAB from memory) my first thoughts when I saw street lights from the air was, thank god they have power..

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 5:06pm The huge, polka-dot elephant in the room seems to have been conveniently overlooked by the media. Everyone seems to be wearing rose coloured glasses, overlooking the dramatic drop in football participation in recent decades.

Many VFL / AFL players were recruited from the Tasmanian Football League, the Northern Tasmanian Football League (Association from 1996) and the North West Football Union. All three were regarded as equals and players considered good enough could pretty well get a game with a VFL club.

Today, there is just one premier league with only 7 clubs, Hobart cubs North Hobart, Clarence, Glenorchy, Lauderdale, Kingborough and Launceston based North Launceston and Launceston. Great clubs like Sandy Bay, New Norfolk and South Launceston (City-South merged with East Launceston) and others could not compete with the demands of the new State League that replaced the three major leagues and either wound up or moved to lesser leagues.

The North West Football League comprises 7 senior clubs; Devonport, Burnie, Wynyard, Latrobe, Ulverstone, Penguin and Circular Head.

The State League concept proved beyond reasonable doubt that Tassie did not have the population and financial resources to support the clubs at this level. This effect has flooded down through minor leagues and junior ranks. And, as we have experienced elsewhere, direct TV coverage of AFL games has delivered a devastating effect on attendances and income for community clubs.

The cruncher, as always, will be the ability of Northern and Southern Tasmanians to look each other in the eyes and accept the have been gifted, not earnt, an AFL licence and a brand new stadium built in the middle of Hobart, not Launceston, and that Cascade and Boags are equally fine drops. And accept that pettiness has cost Tasmanian footy deals in the past and cannot continue into the future.
Bump.

Unfortunately, the last paragraph of my post proved prophetic today with two Liberal members of the Tasmanian parliament resigning from the party today forcing the Government into a minority. Among their several issues was the cost of the new Hobart AFL stadium and the undisclosed secrecy about the deal.

The Tasmanian House of Assembly is based on the five Federal electorates with five MP's elected for each division.

The two that have quit the Liberals represent the divisions of Bass and Lyons. Bass covers North East Tassy along Bass Straight while Lyons covers a huge area of the state including much of the East Coast and all of the Midlands to just south of Launceston.

Would these two MP's have quit if the Premier, PM and Gill had announced the money was for a major upgrade of York Park instead of a new stadium in Hobart? No bloody way.

These muppets do not deserve an AFL team.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

And some would have you believe that the north south hatred was dead and buried. Yeah sure it is and pink pigs can fly.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 5:36pm wait...new norfolk are no longer a thing?
visited tassie for junior state rep hockey and went to a footy game way back in 81 and new norfolk were playing some team i've forgotten in hobart's main oval. discovered two things - new norfolk wore saints colours, and tassie's national pies were far, far better than those cruddy four and twenties.
vale new norfolk.
whilst i was there two sports journos had to jump off the pier and swim back as they'd mocked hudson's comeback from retirement and made the pledge sure he'd fail - he kicked a heap and they got wet. champion to the end.

as for the tassie devils - gotta be - they will be tassie's highest profile sporting team, anything else would be a compromise.
New Norfolk is still going but in a minor league. I grew up on the great Four 'N Twentys when the factory was in Union Rd, Ascot Vale. Straight out of the oven, beautiful. I first encountered National Pies in Tassie in 1976, horrible square things good only for chocking a ar with a dodgy handbrake. I guess rivalry and biases have as much interstate rivalry as beer, you remain loyal to.what you grew up with.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

lucky me . I have always been a Saints fan. And for what it's worth, love a pie at the footy. So does the missus.4 'N' 20s of course.

Despite my dislike of Tasmania and some Tasmanians , I still like Boags beer. Cascade? In your dreams.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 13 May 2023 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

so what happens in 20 years time and a second Tasmanian team comes in to make it a 20 team comp. What are they going to call them?
It's a bit silly calling the new team The Tasmanian Devils.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think the 20th AFL team will come from either WA or South Australia who are both Aussie rules states and their population is growing strongly

Interesting ( & prophetic) read by Trev from the Bush. I read the post from 6th of May because I hadn't visited this thread for a week and then Whamo!!

That's big news

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 12 May 2023 11:07pm
desertsaint wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 5:36pm wait...new norfolk are no longer a thing?
vale new norfolk.

New Norfolk is still going but in a minor league. I grew up on the great Four 'N Twentys when the factory was in Union Rd, Ascot Vale. Straight out of the oven, beautiful. I first encountered National Pies in Tassie in 1976, horrible square things good only for chocking a ar with a dodgy handbrake. I guess rivalry and biases have as much interstate rivalry as beer, you remain loyal to.what you grew up with.
haha quite true. i was unfortunate enough to grow up on gibbs pies (only pie that shipped up to alice in those days) - not good, even when forced from childhood. but we ate them just the same. was looking forward to my first four and twenty as a teen visiting melbourne - so rather disappointed when i actually bit into one. you can buy national pies at woolies now (fridge not freezer) so i recently bought some to see if my memory was favoured by the environment (cold tassiie winter day at the footy) - the chicken (don't do red meat anymore) family gobbled them up including a foreign wife not really keen on pies. not exactly gourmet but pretty good for a factory pie. gave them four and twenty once - they refused to finish them. as bad as a i remembered. i wouldn't dream of poisoning them with a gibbs. best pie i've ever eaten was a scallop pie from tassie just south of hobart. heaven. never had a good one outside of tassie -even the ones shipped up from there - guess nothing beats a freshly made pie.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
asiu
Saintsational Legend

I first encountered National Pies in Tassie in 1976, horrible square things good only for chocking a car with a dodgy handbrake.
:D

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:54pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:49pm Federal funding should not be given.

If the AFL want the stadium tbey should kick in their own cash. A condition of thier tax free exemption is they must provide the facilities for the sport.

2 perfectly good stadiums that could be utilised.
Their, FFS. :roll:

And who said the AFL get a tax free exemption?
At least an attempt was made - all the correct letter are 'there' just not in the correct order

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

$$$$$$

Bellerive and UTAS stadiums look really good to me.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 12:22am so what happens in 20 years time and a second Tasmanian team comes in to make it a 20 team comp. What are they going to call them?
Call them the Tassie Flynns!

As in 'In Like ...'

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 4:38pm
magnifisaint wrote: Sat 13 May 2023 12:22am so what happens in 20 years time and a second Tasmanian team comes in to make it a 20 team comp. What are they going to call them?
Call them the Tassie Flynns!

As in 'In Like ...'
lol
ChatGPT

There are a few considerations to keep in mind when naming a Tasmanian football team "The Flynns":

The phrase "in like Flynn" is said to have emerged in the early 1940s during Flynn's peak popularity. It is believed to have originated in reference to Flynn's alleged ability to easily attract and seduce women, suggesting that he had no trouble winning their favor or being accepted by them. Over time, the phrase expanded in usage to more generally convey someone's swift success or favorable reception in different contexts.

Association with Errol Flynn: Since "The Flynns" directly references the last name of the actor Errol Flynn, it could lead to associations with him and his legacy. While Flynn was a renowned actor, his personal life was also marked by controversy and scandal. It's essential to be aware of these associations and consider whether they align with the desired image and values of the team.

Didnt Chopper Reid move to Tassie?

How about ‘The Choppers’?

The Tassie Choppers…
Has a nice connection to logging…another Tassie favorite
And helicopters, for their use on Bass Strait gas rigs

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!