Umpires this week.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Re: Umpires this week.

saynta wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 4:30pm Leigh Fisher. :cry:
Least he's male

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 10:00pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:30pm
saynta wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:04pm
Otiman wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 8:52pm Thankfully we didn't get the umpires from the Gold Coast-Melbourne game.
No, and there are f****** four of them these days. Gold Coast were robbed. Don't let anyone tell you the myth that maggots don't decide games. They decided this one. Two clear free kicks to Gold Coast players close to goal in the closing minutes were ignored by the umpires. Those sticking up for these clowns should be ashamed of themselves.

PS. A loss to the ski crowd would have been good for us.
Worst 5 minutes of umpiring I can recall.

When you think about the soft free kicks that are paid to the likes of Curnow, then look at the shockers not paid to Swallow and Chol it beggars belief.
I still don't know why Gawn was gifted the free and the goal in the lat quarter. Any clues? The Fox commentary team had a down the ground video replay but none of them saw an infringement from that.
No, beyond me. At the time I thought WTF.

happy feet
Club Player

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:33am
Least he's male
Ah, misogyny is alive and kicking here.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:12am Umpiring is getting worse but it’s easy to see why. From the beginning they are put on a pedastal and cannot accept criticism. New umpires off the street can ruin an entire game but the umpires cannot be scored graded or commented on. FFS the senior umpire or better of the won’t even over rule in case it upsets the other umpire. Ruin games and get to repeat it.
Maybe if umpires weren’t abused so much by you and those like you, they wouldn’t feel the need to be so protected and would be more open to constructive criticism.

Unbiased umpires and abused by biased supporters for not favouring their team, all the way from juniors up to the AFL.

Potential top umpires are driven out of the game well before they get to the AFL by supporters who then turn around and criticise the quality of umpiring.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:44am
Least he's male
Funny (or not) how sexism and racism go hand-in-hand.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:57am
CURLY wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:12am Umpiring is getting worse but it’s easy to see why. From the beginning they are put on a pedastal and cannot accept criticism. New umpires off the street can ruin an entire game but the umpires cannot be scored graded or commented on. FFS the senior umpire or better of the won’t even over rule in case it upsets the other umpire. Ruin games and get to repeat it.
Maybe if umpires weren’t abused so much by you and those like you, they wouldn’t feel the need to be so protected and would be more open to constructive criticism.

Unbiased umpires and abused by biased supporters for not favouring their team, all the way from juniors up to the AFL.

Potential top umpires are driven out of the game well before they get to the AFL by supporters who then turn around and criticise the quality of umpiring.
Don’t abuse them at all. I do how ever believe they need to perform to a standard and be open to being critiqued. This garbage that supporters can’t yell “ ball” or “ high “ is a joke. The fact they are considered untouchable is also a major issue and we probably lose more good umpires as a result.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 12:06pm Don’t abuse them at all.
Lol

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 12:17pm
Lol
What are you a 13 year old girl.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

If an umpire can't cut the mustard because of a few words or thoughts - they have no backbone for the gig

Source - as mentioned elsewhere - ex-junior umpire in some rough leagues - leagues where 40 years ago racial vilification was a hot topic - leagues where karate round house kicks only got 6 weeks.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Lol
Cab you point out a time or place that Curly directly abuses an umpire (aside from inferring they cheat as a group)?

I would take offence to that!

I personally agree with Curly - the inconsistencies are horrendous, the lack of 'skill' to adjudicate etc

However, it is not their fault - it is the AFL and their knee-jerk reaction to issues that causes so much angst
4 umpires - 4 interpretations - new rules - rules of the week - guesses at 15 metres - frees paid at one end but not the other

We spend billions on football - how about we make a key component of the game professional????? Just a thought

Also, how about a bit of accountability

How many frees were paid by which umpire
Where the frees were paid
To which team etc

BUT ABOVE ALL - let the AFL say we got 80% right, and the ones we didn't were because of ...... I hate it when you see a blatant free kick missed, or incorrectly paid and the AFL comes out with 'nothing to see ... move along' We all know umpires are human and make errors - and can accept it if we were not going to be patted on the head and told to run along.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 12:38pm
Lol
What are you a 13 year old girl.
LOL - you would know - I swear you and Dud are the same person or at least a married couple. :wink: Or possibly just best friends.

― Aristophanes

Templar
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 10:27am A google search shows Fisher owns a restaurant in Hampton called 'Cornerstone & Co' plus an Italian restaurant.
Heard that they get frequent complaints about maggots.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 1:08pm
WellardSaint wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 10:27am A google search shows Fisher owns a restaurant in Hampton called 'Cornerstone & Co' plus an Italian restaurant.
Heard that they get frequent complaints about maggots.
:lol:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 12:58pm
Lol
Cab you point out a time or place that Curly directly abuses an umpire (aside from inferring they cheat as a group)?
“Can you point out a time where he abused them, excluding all these times where he abused them”

Haha, I like that one SD.

Why is it so difficult to accept umpires are people, people make mistakes? Why do u expect them to be perfect?

Can you point out a sports league anywhere in the world where the umpiring is perfect?

Can you point out any fan base who says “yep, we’re constantly favoured by the umpires/officials/league”?

Why would a person, let alone kid, sign up to a job where they’re constantly abused/attacked by idiots for doing their job correctly?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 1:57pm
Lol
“Can you point out a time where he abused them, excluding all these times where he abused them”

Why is it so difficult to accept umpires are people, people make mistakes? Why do u expect them to be perfect?

Can you point out a sports league anywhere in the world where the umpiring is perfect?

Can you point out any fan base who says “yep, we’re constantly favoured by the umpires/officials/league”?

Why would a person, let alone kid, sign up to a job where they’re constantly abused/attacked by idiots for doing their job correctly?

Still need to reach a level of competence at all levels. Feedback needs to be given and encouraged. This attitude that they’re only kids or only learning is great but feedback both positive and negative should be sort.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 1:57pm

Lol
I personally agree with Curly - the inconsistencies are horrendous, the lack of 'skill' to adjudicate etc

However, it is not their fault - it is the AFL and their knee-jerk reaction to issues that causes so much angst
4 umpires - 4 interpretations - new rules - rules of the week - guesses at 15 metres - frees paid at one end but not the other

We spend billions on football - how about we make a key component of the game professional????? Just a thought
I think to a certain extent we are singing from the same hymn book - but I just let Curly vent

― Aristophanes

Templar
Club Player

I don't think that the bulk of footy fans expect umpires to be "perfect". Most of us would be able to tolerate "reasonable".

Take the free kick in the Carlton game I think against Wilkie for the slightest grab of the jumper that did not impede the Carlton player in any way.

Compare to the Giants fwd in the dying minutes where the defender behind him had two hands grabbing the jumper AND then threw him out of the flight in marking contest. No free.

These two decisions when compared together are unreasonable.

Unreasonable umpires should not get a game at AFL level because it reflects badly on all umpires.

Respect is earned.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The NFL is the richest league in the world, with multiple refs that have very specific jobs, a million camera angles and slow mo replays, used with a comprehensive decision review system.

Have a guess if you think the fans are happy with the umpiring?

George27
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 12:51pm
If an umpire can't cut the mustard because of a few words or thoughts - they have no backbone for the gig

Source - as mentioned elsewhere - ex-junior umpire in some rough leagues - leagues where 40 years ago racial vilification was a hot topic - leagues where karate round house kicks only got 6 weeks.
Sainter Dad. You do a great job with the award for best player each week and each season, and make many fine contributions to this forum, but I absolutely totally disagree with you on this topic. Umpires should not have to face the rubbish that they cop in every game in every league. It is a sad sad reflection of our society. I do not always agree with The Dud , but on this topic I do.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Sub the Phillipou FFS, Ross

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 6:56pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 12:51pm

Sainter Dad. You do a great job with the award for best player each week and each season, and make many fine contributions to this forum, but I absolutely totally disagree with you on this topic. Umpires should not have to face the rubbish that they cop in every game in every league. It is a sad sad reflection of our society. I do not always agree with The Dud , but on this topic I do.
And Bankers
And Tax Agents
And Bus Drivers
And Nurses
And Police Officers

All get abused - more often than not with Nurses, Ambos, Police physically

A few words here and there should be water off a ducks back.

BUT - I will give you, now that you mentioned it, the abuse towards Non AFL Umpires should stop - the 'professional' Umpires get paid enough and are big enough and ugly enough to take it (or as Razor does revel in it). A 16 yo ump being abused by a gross (possibly drunk) old man is probably beyond the pale.

PS - what does the Award for the Player of the Year have to do with it - if you disagree with me - just say it

― Aristophanes

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 12:05pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:44am
Least he's male
Funny (or not) how sexism and racism go hand-in-hand.
And ageists.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lol

I would take offence to that!

Also, how about a bit of accountability

How many frees were paid by which umpire
Where the frees were paid
To which team etc

BUT ABOVE ALL - let the AFL say we got 80% right, and the ones we didn't were because of ...... I hate it when you see a blatant free kick missed, or incorrectly paid and the AFL comes out with 'nothing to see ... move along' We all know umpires are human and make errors - and can accept it if we were not going to be patted on the head and told to run along.
Just watching first crack, David King and Joey both agreed that the Suns were bent over by the maggots in the last few minutes when they refused to pay two obvious and clear free kicks against the Dees , either one of which would have changed the game result.

f****** dreadful in my opinion and they blighted the game and should be held accountable.
For the record I hate King but he got this one right.