Something old, something new.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Something old, something new.

And that’s what I’m talking about?!

I loved the

It’s the voting system that was wrong, and why he was underserving!!!

Or

Until recently… like he’s suddenly improved and is ok now

Perhaps watch some tapes from 2017 - he was ok then too

The arguments just don’t stack up I’m sorry and are easily refuted- because history is written

Like it or not

He hangs up his boots tomorrow - great career!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 11:44pm Oh

And they haven’t changed their mind

They just pretend they never potted him, and justify their bulls***!
If only the 'I'll drop my eyes, shorten my kicks and swim between my flags' article was never written.

Seb's own word's mind you.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

At his most prolific, Seb got more than Dangerfield, at his best, he is quite effective but not as good as Dangerfield, clearly.

He did get his numbers so high at one point, he was picked with 20 other midfielders in a AA Squad.

Saintmike65
Club Player

I’m sure we can all agree Seb’s been good the last season and a bit but he and Crouch aren’t our future, let’s focus on our young core of mids!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It seems to me that if the entire forum solely blamed Seb for our results over the past 8 years, it would be quite easy to litter us with quotes by posters.

You pointed the finger at me as one who continually potted Seb. I asked you to quote me, as you ask people to quote you when they claim you alleged something. I am still waiting.

Here's a hint, I am on record as saying when Seb becomes our 4th, 5th or 6th most important midfielder, we will be a Top 4 side.

B.M., you roll your defence of Seb up into examples you have perceived, then manifest that into the entire forum's view. You then claim that no one else has spoken of poor recruiting, poor administration, poor player development and poor list management. Instead they solely blame Seb.

All this does is pump up your tyres that you know all the answers and the rest of us blindly lay it at the feet of a single player. Simply rubbish.

You can happily criticise a kid, find fault in his game but heaven help anyone who criticises the game of someone who has won an individual trophy or got some Brownlow votes.

SaintWiki
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 4:49pm
B.M wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 4:45pm He’s to blame for some lean years

I don’t care if he was the best player, it was his fault!!!

Would never get a game in a good team!!!!

StKs worst ever dual B&F
:wink: :evil: :twisted: 8-)
There's some poor sick buggers in this world

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 1:43am
B.M wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 11:42pm That’s exactly it

When we were poor, someone needed to be responsible

Allan Richardson, Seb Ross, MAV Weller and Jack Newnes were to blame

Not
Woeful list management decisions that meant we had a lot of poor players on the list
Poor recruiting
Injuries to key players
Poor player development

We wanted to put our frustrations on individuals

Seb was one of those who was blamed

Just read this forum to see that
Garbage BM.

Simply garbage bordering on delusion. Injuries, poor development and recruiting are universally accepted on this forum as issues that we’ve had to deal with and things that we’ve done poorly. List management too.

Like everything else with Seb, you play favourites and twist things to justify you’re own bias.

This would be contender for worst post of the year
And then again, team was losing, so some supporters pick scapegoats and twist things to justify their own bias. Seb was playing good footy in an inconsistent team with a partially imbedded game plan, but some supporters see a couple of helicopter kicks and come to a hasty generalisation. His disposal stats AND disposal efficiency were better then than now.

Seb is still playing good footy in a much better drilled team, with more support all around the ground. Nearly up to his 2016-19 standards, not a superstar by any means but a very good and consistent footballer. I guess biases tend to stick for some.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:54am

Not
Woeful list management decisions that meant we had a lot of poor players on the list
Poor recruiting
Injuries to key players
Poor player development

Garbage BM.

Simply garbage bordering on delusion. Injuries, poor development and recruiting are universally accepted on this forum as issues that we’ve had to deal with and things that we’ve done poorly. List management too.

Like everything else with Seb, you play favourites and twist things to justify you’re own bias.

And then again, team was losing, so some supporters pick scapegoats and twist things to justify their own bias. Seb was playing good footy in an inconsistent team with a partially imbedded game plan, but some supporters see a couple of helicopter kicks and come to a hasty generalisation. His disposal stats AND disposal efficiency were better then than now.

Seb is still playing good footy in a much better drilled team, with more support all around the ground. Nearly up to his 2016-19 standards, not a superstar by any means but a very good and consistent footballer. I guess biases tend to stick for some.
The claims back in the day by the Seb Ross cheer squad, was that he was elite.
His numbers were elite, if his skill set was elite, he'd have been much more damaging.

He is a true professional, a reliable leader, he tries his guts out, he is an elite runner.
He is a good footballer. He ranks in the top 10 of the last decade at the club. He won 2 B&F's.
Jack Steven was a slob. Didn't like training, didn't like leading, didn't like meetings, had drug and alcohol issues and we assume had some serious mental health problems.
How many B&F's did he win?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 10:40am

Not
Poor recruiting
Injuries to key players
Poor player development

Garbage BM.

His numbers were elite, if his skill set was elite, he'd have been much more damaging.

He is a true professional, a reliable leader, he tries his guts out, he is an elite runner.
He is a good footballer. He ranks in the top 10 of the last decade at the club. He won 2 B&F's.
Jack Steven was a slob. Didn't like training, didn't like leading, didn't like meetings, had drug and alcohol issues and we assume had some serious mental health problems.
Imagine Jacks skill with Sebs attitude

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
takeaway
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 10:40am

Not
Poor recruiting
Injuries to key players
Poor player development

Garbage BM.

Can't recall anyone saying Seb was elite. Jack Steven? Probably some of your description is true, so what? He could play football, and in his prime was a gun. Fully deserved the B & Fs, they are an achievement no matter who you play for.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

My opinion of Seb Ross:

- Tough
- Fit
- Durable
- Leader, professional
- Hard runner and disciplined
- Solid B-B+ AFL mid, A grade at best
Current A graders would be Wilkie, Sinclair, Steele & Wood (current form) IMO
- Very Good AFL player, very good career, got the most out of himself to date and will continue
- Best 22 player at most if not all clubs, depending midfield strength
- Plus 200 game career
- Like Steven 4 X B&F, Seb being a 2 X B&F flatters him a little due to the relative average teams he played in.
I think that is fair comparing him with AA guns like Gehrig, Milne, Dal, Joey, Goddard who won 1 or none due to the strength of the teams they played in.

A handful of posters here have way underrated Seb, suggesting he is not best 22 is ridiculous IMO.
However a certain poster has taken the above comments and now perpetuates the myth that other than he and saynta "ALL" posters think Seb is a hack who is unworthy of a game, and constantly posts this rubbish on any thread where Seb is mentioned. Ghost Like got it right!

I think most posters would agree Seb is a good AFL midfielder, tough, fit and strong, that his disposal is generally solid but is prone to the odd helicopter and turnover, and this is what separates him from gun A grade mids.
I think perceptions formed of Seb stopping and propping and going sideways, are unfair as this was game plan related under Richo.
He follows the Ross requirement to the letter.

I'd bet Seb will be top 6 this year in the B&F and would be one of the automatic selections every week and this is recognized by most contributors on this site.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:42am My opinion of Seb Ross:

- Tough
- Fit
- Durable
- Leader, professional
- Very Good AFL player, very good career, got the most out of himself to date and will continue
- Plus 200 game career
- Like Steven 4 X B&F, Seb being a 2 X B&F flatters him a little due to the relative average teams he played in.
I think that is fair comparing him with AA guns like Gehrig, Milne, Dal, Joey, Goddard who won 1 or none due to the strength of the teams they played in.

A handful of posters here have way underrated Seb, suggesting he is not best 22 is ridiculous IMO.
However a certain poster has taken the above comments and now perpetuates the myth that other than he and saynta "ALL" posters think Seb is a hack who is unworthy of a game, and constantly posts this rubbish on any thread where Seb is mentioned. Ghost Like got it right!

I think most posters would agree Seb is a good AFL midfielder, tough, fit and strong, that his disposal is generally solid but is prone to the odd helicopter and turnover, and this is what separates him from gun A grade mids.
I think perceptions formed of Seb stopping and propping and going sideways, are unfair as this was game plan related under Richo.

I'd bet Seb will be top 6 this year in the B&F and would be one of the automatic selections every week and this is recognized by most contributors on this site.
Was a good post until you mentioned me. Next time, leave me out of your rants please. 8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

My favourites are simply good players that get it done

Jack Steven, Seb Ross, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair, Marshall, Wilkie

I won’t hear a bad word - why

Because they get it done - week after week

Which is why they are decorated

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Every inside mid, at AFL level turns the ball over

It’s a high pressure, high velocity position

Danger, Fyfe

Brownlow medallist who are ordinary kicks

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:45am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:42am My opinion of Seb Ross:

- Tough
- Fit
- Durable
- Leader, professional
- Plus 200 game career

Was a good post until you mentioned me. Next time, leave me out of your rants please. 8-)
Ha fair enough…the old “certain posters” hack..

So the rumors that Seb Ross was ‘For Sale’ in 2019ish with no bidders…is rubbish..??? I don’t know, I was going by media reports…I mean what else can you do?

Other than slander other posters and pose as the good guy waving a high preposterous priest flag on top of Mt Noble.!!

I think Seb was a surprise package last year, certainly lifted intensity and consistency wise.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just changed back to his best position - surprise packet?

Missed watching him 2016-2019?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Seb’s disposal isn’t great, comparing it to Danger and Fyfe is laughable.

Kicking out of congestion is one thing, running towards 50 with little pressure is another.

I also don’t think you’ll find a mid who kicks less goals than Ross.

Good not great, very handy cog in a better team.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 5:05pm Seb’s disposal isn’t great, comparing it to Danger and Fyfe is laughable.

Kicking out of congestion is one thing, running towards 50 with little pressure is another.

Do you reckon he’s improved more recently Dud?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 5:08pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 5:05pm Seb’s disposal isn’t great, comparing it to Danger and Fyfe is laughable.

Do you reckon he’s improved more recently Dud?
I think he’s always at a pretty consistent level, but looks better in a better team with others doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s not accurate

History proves as much

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

How’d he look today, above criticism?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:18pm How’d he look today, above criticism?
In a dour game that I think would have suited Ross - 12 disposals (6/6) and 42 AF points - 10 at Half Time

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:26pm
In a dour game that I think would have suited Ross - 12 disposals (6/6) and 42 AF points - 10 at Half Time
Cordy-like numbers

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:27pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:26pm
Cordy-like numbers
Worst game I’ve seen from him in a while.

Hopefully just a down week as he’s been great hubs for a while and we’re not going back to 2020-21 where he’d have a stinker like this all too regularly.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I thought he had a tagging role on LDU today
LDU didn’t dominate so maybe the coaches are relatively content with Ross’ contribution?