Byrnes and Paton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes and Paton

Anyone still want to defend these two?

One of the final plays showed why they must go.

Paton gets it has NWM riding shotgun for the hands but Paton refuses to give it to him. Then he handballs to which Byrnes stands flat footed allowing it to bounce then gives a garbage hand ball to Paton who screws a kick on his opposite two meters to an Adelaide player.

Both are putrid and need to go

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Byrnes and Paton

Byrnes kicked a goal. 69 % disposal efficiency

Paton was as average as most others. Same disposal efficiency as Seb Ross

Maybe drop Seb and see if Ronnie can step up with the extra responsibility. I reckon he has upside where as Seb has plateaued and the cliff is close...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 5:01pm Byrnes kicked a goal. 69 % disposal efficiency

Maybe drop Seb and see if Ronnie can step up with the extra responsibility. I reckon he has upside where as Seb has plateaued and the cliff is close...

I could do that kicking 15 meter kicks.

Both get smothered both by hand and foot. Both use the wrong option time and time again

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I know about Seb and Brad Crouch, but what about Ben and Ronnie?

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon Byrnes has been quite good this year, he's provided great endurance rum on the wing which is the key to Lyon's game plan.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon Byrnes has been quite good this year, he's provided great endurance rum on the wing which is the key to Lyon's game plan.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 5:01pm Byrnes kicked a goal. 69 % disposal efficiency

I'd drop all three along with Sharman and obviously Membrey out with concussion. Membrey, Byrnes, Ross, Sharman, Paton and Bytel (unlucky) for King, Windhager, Billings, Webster and Gresham.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So from hardly any change we are all of a sudden going to replace 6. That's how you build cohesion

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 6:18pm So from hardly any change we are all of a sudden going to replace 6. That's how you build cohesion

Only because we had no one to bring back.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Ben Patton is a dud. Simple as that. He should be moved on asap. Ryan Byrnes is still young, and goes hard at the ball and has done well this year. He, like many other, lacks the physical strength to compete against the top echelon. His kicking lacks penetration. Sometimes, a kick just has to be 5 metres longer than usual to a avoid blocking opposition. Once again, top players can do this. His handball needs work. I don't think we have any better players for his position at the moment.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes has been having a good season. Not sure why need to put him under the microscope.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross had a bad day but Dougal was just shocking. He seemed to be bird watching all day. He has no clue. I wish he could be replaced. I'm not sure what Port Adelaide saw in him. Calling him a future captain is laughable.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 7:26pm Byrnes has been having a good season. Not sure why need to put him under the microscope.
He has had a few good games but he is hardly consistent or reliable and is a bit of a headless chook

At least that's my feeling watching him

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes deserves some scrutiny.

He’s come along in leaps and bounds this year but the gap between best and worst is just too big atm. If I was an opposition coach, 100% he’s one of the mids I’d target as I would know he could be effected. Am not suggesting he be cut… but I reckon he’s given an opportunity for a Bytel, Windhager or Billings to have a try instead
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 15 May 2023 12:14am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

As for Paton…
Straight drop for Webster hopefully

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Ross should not be kicking the ball into the forward 50 period

Just a classic loopy bomb it forward player .... under no pressure as well

Opposition back men must love seeing him stream forward through the center

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 8:49pm Ross should not be kicking the ball into the forward 50 period

Just a classic loopy bomb it forward player .... under no pressure as well

Opposition back men must love seeing him stream forward through the center
Bang on
Against good sides gets found out

“Yeah….nah””
saintkev
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 8:40pm Seb Ross had a bad day but Dougal was just shocking. He seemed to be bird watching all day. He has no clue. I wish he could be replaced. I'm not sure what Port Adelaide saw in him. Calling him a future captain is laughable.
Too right! He’s a lazy, lolloping waste of space with appalling body language. He telegraphs his passes and is inept at following up his blatant errors. He lacks a football brain. Why he chooses to wrestle stronger forwards than him is beyond comprehension. He gets done every time.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

At Paton’s size, you need to be able to play on the zippy small forwards. He seemingly can’t do that and has average to poor kicking skills and not big enough or quick enough to play as a midfielder.

Was going ok before his broken leg as I’m sure he had more speed, but has come back nothing like that player.

At this stage, now seemingly a list clogger.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 6:18pm So from hardly any change we are all of a sudden going to replace 6. That's how you build cohesion
We've been crap for a month. Time to mix it up

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintkev wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 11:14pm [Why he chooses to wrestle stronger forwards than him is beyond comprehension. He gets done every time.
Then what's he supposed to do against a player like Walker? Step back and let them take an uncontested mark? He certainly wouldn't look like as much of a gumby as he does trying to wrestle them, but that's surely not the point.

I agree he isn't strong enough to handle the likes of a Taylor Walker. Few fullbacks are. The answer to Walker was therefore to try something different than simply leaving Howard to deal with him. That was a failure on the part of Lyon and Enright.

One strategy might have been to bring Cordy in to play on Walker and shuffling a few other players around, but Ross will rarely do anything like that. Another option might have been to have strategies for double-teaming Walker in crucial contests: but that takes us back to Cordy, because the personnel we had on the park yesterday weren't really capable of keeping Walker under control.

And Walker was always at the core of the threat that Adelaide posed to us. Not only was he a dangerous target himself, he also made space for other dangerous players like Rankine.

The way Adelaide put it all together yesterday, we were never going to beat them. But better strategising by the coaches and the selectors would have enabled us to do better than we did.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sanctorum
Club Player

It can certainly be said that Ryan Byrnes has improved this year but despite his impressive running he has little overall impact, I believe the other banana, Bytel, should replace him next week as he has been very impressive in the 2s, has a much stronger body and penetrating kick.

I agree that Ben Paton is just a shadow of the player he was before he smashed his leg, lacks pace and suffers from poor disposal skills. Jimmy Webster will surely replace Paton next week.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes has been terrific this season. I’m amazed he’s under any scrutiny. He’s the most improved player at the club and has saved his career.

I’ve almost expired on Paton. I’d rather we gave Highmore a go now; it’s a shame Coffield has been out of action for so long. Connolly, too, deserves a go. I’m happy to let Webster move on as he’s not part of the future.

It’s a season of exploration so let’s explore who has a role to play going forward.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saintmike65
Club Player

3 changes is sufficient..King, Webster & Windhager in

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Loathe to drop Byrnes because he’s quick and the game has gone lightening quick now. He can spear through congestion and snatch it. Disposal not the best but maybe that deficiency can be trained or worked with…i.e. do pass this way don’t pass that way etc., but pace can’t be trained?

We’d have to ask , what could these guys have define bettter? Adelaide looked like they were taking amphetimines

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!