Billings?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Captain Impossible
Club Player

Billings?

Am I missing something? Still not being selected despite being a great user. Hitting targets seems to be an issue at the moment and his ball use is usually excellent. Has his VFL form been that bad? Who's getting the nod ahead of him?

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Billings?

Captain Impossible wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 5:47pm Am I missing something? Still not being selected despite being a great user. Hitting targets seems to be an issue at the moment and his ball use is usually excellent. Has his VFL form been that bad? Who's getting the nod ahead of him?
Batchelor's VFL review (see other thread), gives some insight. Played the whole game for the first time last week, plenty of running referred to, so he has fitness targets to reach. Probably almost there now so will be back shortly I would think.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Adding to what takeaway said…

Given his history, you sure as heck wouldn’t want to try and play Billings into fitness or risk him if his recovery isn’t up to scratch.

As it stands… Jones looks finished, McKenzie is a long shot away and the reality is that Billings is one hamstring away from forced retirement. I wouldn’t take any risks

B.M
Saintsational Legend

McKenzie is a week or two away and is in full training

Billings has now played 3 games and been in full training for 6 weeks

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

At 27 and with his injury history, you would get a 3rd rounder for him or a 2nd round pick exchange at best.

We will need to drop a number of players this year for the draft and only Campbell is at retirement age but should go another year.

I'd be looking at trading out players for picks, rather than delisting. As much as I hate to say it, Gresh going in a FA deal would be a good thing.

Highmore would be a good pickup for another club.
Connolly needs to show something this year.
The only other player with a question mark for me is Adams, but I've not seen enough of him and you'd want to think hard about delisting a 19 year old, 197cm KPD.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What’s the odds of a 3rd rounder (pick 37-54) being as good as Billings?

Not very imo

StD Kilda list management 101

Take a first round pick

And 7 or 8 years later turn them into a third round pick!!!

Now that’s the key to success

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings
Gresham
Clark

All offloaded for worse selections than they were originally selected

So we can f*** those pick up too

It’s a never ending cycle of mediocrity

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 9:32am McKenzie is a week or two away and is in full training

Billings has now played 3 games and been in full training for 6 weeks
Good news on DMac, very underrated.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 6:33pm
Captain Impossible wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 5:47pm Am I missing something? Still not being selected despite being a great user. Hitting targets seems to be an issue at the moment and his ball use is usually excellent. Has his VFL form been that bad? Who's getting the nod ahead of him?
Batchelor's VFL review (see other thread), gives some insight. Played the whole game for the first time last week, plenty of running referred to, so he has fitness targets to reach. Probably almost there now so will be back shortly I would think.

Yes spot on. It is probably only after this weekend that Billings would truly be ready/available for senior selection. = MATCH FITNESS Plus after no games he will be finding touch and getting used to match play.

Whether he gets selected or not then is a separate issue. = His DEMONSTRATED FORM vs DEMONSTRATED FORM of other players in the 22 for him to push out.

A little earlier in the season, one of the points that Lyon discussed was "legacy" injury issues with a number of St Kilda players and that the club was seeking to take a longterm approach of getting the players back so that when they came back, that they would stay available rather than the in and out yo yoing we have had with a bunch of players in recent seasons.

DMac will most likely go through the same process of needing several games back before he may be considered to push out say Byrnes, or maybe Stocker. Sotocker I feel has been pretty good though. And Wood is a lock on one wing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Stocker and Wood are prepared to put their head over the footy and put their body on the line.

Billings got into some bad habits under Richo and he was dishing off rather than holding on to the footy. If a player handballs quickly and it goes directly to the opposition it kills your team on the turnover.

Better to get caught holding the ball and at least your team mates have time to set up and defend.

If JB learns to accept that he's being paid to accept bruises every time he puts on the jumper, then he'll be a better team player. Not sure if he's changed in this regard...hard to remember with how much footy he's missed

I think last year he also missed a fair chunk of games