Scapegoats v Overrated v Whipping Boys

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scapegoats v Overrated v Whipping Boys

B.M wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 5:22pm Higgins is goal hungry

There was 3 examples of selfishness from forwards

In a team first environment- that doesn’t happen

All three small forwards are selfish
Stands out like dogs balls doesn't it

older saint
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 2:14pm Fair call older saint but if we don't challenge our players to improve then we remain where we have been for the last 12 years. Too scared to drop / trade players "in case" they become the champion we dream of.

You mention Collingwood, a club not afraid to cast off players we would not entertain losing, their dodgy salary cap accounting forced their hand in two examples.

Sydney understand their list and have not been afraid to release players, unfortunately for us.

The side we just got embarrassed by have done it, Mitchell & O'Meara.

The only ones we have released, let go, given away were perennial whipping boys, Acres & Long (& Jack Steven)

Collingwood, Sydney & Hawthorn are very much the sum of their parts. A concept we have never really embraced, we lord Brownlows, Colemans and B&Fs.

We need to appreciate the entirety of our list and stop being seduced by individuals or more precisely, the potential of individuals. If their best isn't their new benchmark / standard then we are treading water, again!
Fair enough to a point we do have a "potential " complex on players at times. Unlike Collingwood we don't "have to " move people. Hawthorn did it but cut too deep and we are not in that position they are in. That said form does need to dictate selection. The issue we have had with this is generally not too many players have had 2 poor games in a row and it's a balance to show trust which with some we haven't before with the yo yo selection policy - good game in , bad game out. multiple poor weeks now will create the chance for change

Half way home a lot can change but could see Jones, Billings, McKenzie, all wearing different jumpers ( or non AFL ones ) as well as i am sure a few others.
In some ways it is a little like 2007 putting together pieces for the future. Have 1st rounders in 2023 & 2024 and want top end talent.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 10:32am

You can add Caminiti to that group.

Has the KBs about him.
That's a little unfair.
He takes possession running at the approaching ball often, finds space and dishes off quickly, regularly, when he could easily turn and snap. He has fed off a few goals this way. Butler gives them off too.
Gresham won't try to handball unless he is court on his 3rd step, and Higgins will go straight to the boot instinctively.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 10:32am

You can add Caminiti to that group.

Has the KBs about him.
That's a little unfair.
He takes possession running at the approaching ball often, finds space and dishes off quickly, regularly, when he could easily turn and snap. He has fed off a few goals this way. Butler gives them off too.
Gresham won't try to handball unless he is caught on his 3rd step, and Higgins will go straight to the boot instinctively.

ctqs
Club Player

Battle makes too many costly mistakes under pressure. I'd get rid of him in a heartbeat.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 3:09am Battle makes too many costly mistakes under pressure. I'd get rid of him in a heartbeat.
Opposition coaches have his number. Seems coaches have no alternative ìf they don't want Cordy. Not doing Josh or the team any favours but it seems it is what it is.

Templar
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 10:32am You can add Caminiti to that group.

Has the KBs about him.
In the last 2 games I had Caminiti to kick 2 goals in 2 multis. But in both games he kept dishing it off. I was shouting "stop doing the team thing and have a crack" to no avail.

Unlike his hunger for a goal before he was suspended.

So I disagree.

And two, I hope his hunger for a goal comes back after the bye.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Why, when we are going well it's the whole team effort, and when we are going poorly it's individuals.

Win as a team, lose as a team. Get caught up in individuals and we will be losers always.

Templar
Club Player

My point was that in the last two games Caminiti appeared to be focussed on the goal assist rather than the goal. Which is why I disagreed that he is a "KB".

Before his suspension I think he had a good balance between shooting for goal or setting up a goal. A balance that belied his lack of experience at AFL level.

Despite me screaming in the last two games for him to have a fricken ping to help my multi, I think that the balance between instinctive goal threading and team play can be upset, be it from outside criticism or coaching instructions.

How many times this year have we seen our forwards dishing it off in the name of team play instead of dobbing a gimme?

Kicking a goal helps the team too, just a bit...

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 5:14pm
How many times this year have we seen our forwards dishing it off in the name of team play instead of dobbing a gimme?
Membrey 30m out. Just kick the goal.