Do we need a tagging midfielder?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Do we need a tagging midfielder?

When midfielders go quiet, they get given run-with roles. This seems to be the current method to keep struggling midfielders in the side.

If we are struggling for good clearance mids, it is a waste to keep our good players tied up in shut-down roles. If they are not fit or in form, just drop them to the VFL.

Make space for our mids, provide blocks, hunt the man and not the ball. We are lacking this at the moment and the roles are a bit over the shop.

Do we need a genuine negating midfielder, and if so, who are the top candidates?

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Do we need a tagging midfielder?

Jack Steele and Marcus Windhager are proven.

wally
Club Player

I was thinking if windy is having trouble grasping running patterns as mentioned in another thread then he should be playing as a run with player not neccessarily a hard tag but he will learn where to run to by following and hopefully nullifying key opposition

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Steele and Windy too good/valuable to be taggers. Was thinking Paton and Byrnes.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Not as much as we need attacking/goal kicking ones.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I think we need mids that can get their hands on the ball at a contest

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Any dominant midfielder would be a bonus!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Meant to be Steele

He’s our skipper, dual AA and A Grade mid

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 4:53pm Not as much as we need attacking/goal kicking ones.
Exactly! We need one who can break lines and can chip in with the odd goal. None of our mids are attacking in the least.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 5:09pm I think we need mids that can get their hands on the ball at a contest
The problem is the ones we have are being used defensively.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 9:01pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 4:53pm Not as much as we need attacking/goal kicking ones.
Exactly! We need one who can break lines and can chip in with the odd goal. None of our mids are attacking in the least.
Good posts
Goal kicking line breaking mid required
That’s not Steele btw 🤦‍♂️

“Yeah….nah””
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 2:21pm
Sainternist wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 9:01pm
Good posts
Goal kicking line breaking mid required
That’s not Steele btw 🤦‍♂️
Sadly, Steele is not that type of midfielder. But having said that, we shouldn’t think of him as being under par. He came to St.Kilda as a rookie midfielder from GWS who had their outstanding group of midfielders prevent him from getting a game. I think it’s fair to say, Jack exceeded our expectations. Steele is more in the ilk of a Lenny Hayes-type mid who gives hard-nosed contests at ground level and is always at the bottom of the pack.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

I find it rather strange that even though in 2022 Marcus Windhager made a name for himself as a first class tagger/negater of opposition midfielders, epitomised by the job he did keeping Lachie Neale quiet, he's been relegated to the twos "to work on running patterns"....

Wouldn't it have been better to get him to perfect that skill playing in the AFL side?

Is this an admission by the coaches that the team lacks strong onfield leadership from the senior players who would normally be expected to guide the young blokes?

Isn't his role as a proven tagger more important than learning running patterns, it all sounds a bit sus to me.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We don’t have taggers of defensive forwards due to team defence

Leaves a hole in zone lines if a player is following an oppo player

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 4:42pm I find it rather strange that even though in 2022 Marcus Windhager made a name for himself as a first class tagger/negater of opposition midfielders, epitomised by the job he did keeping Lachie Neale quiet, he's been relegated to the twos "to work on running patterns"....

Wouldn't it have been better to get him to perfect that skill playing in the AFL side?

Is this an admission by the coaches that the team lacks strong onfield leadership from the senior players who would normally be expected to guide the young blokes?

Isn't his role as a proven tagger more important than learning running patterns, it all sounds a bit sus to me.
I think the club believes he has more to offer than being a mere tagger … and he’s since been starting to show that at Sandringham with high-possession games and goals.

Hopefully he gets a shot very soon. Look, if he’s a going to be a high-possession, goal-kicking midfielder I’d prefer that than him being pigeonholed as a run-with player.

I’ll start to be concerned if he can’t get a game with Clark out and after our existing mids having had their pants pulled down and been spanked by Hawthorn.

Owens, I think, has to play a prominent role in the starting midfield. His contested ball stats are off the charts and he looks every bit the big, explosive, powerful midfielder we’ve been looking for. Would be handy if ultimately Windy can join him
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 05 Jun 2023 12:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 4:42pm I find it rather strange that even though in 2022 Marcus Windhager made a name for himself as a first class tagger/negater of opposition midfielders, epitomised by the job he did keeping Lachie Neale quiet, he's been relegated to the twos "to work on running patterns"....

I’ve read elsewhere tge running patterns plus defensive side of his game is what he’s agreed he needs to work on
It’s also be said they don’t want to just relegate him to B a tagging role as last coach - they want him to develop to ball winning mid in his own right and free from AFL pressure to learn that
As Lyon has stated - he’ll play senior footy they kniw he has ability
I like that the coaches have committed to working with him - we whinge we don’t develop players…first sign we are and people still whinge ..

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 6:25pm We don’t have taggers of defensive forwards due to team defence

Leaves a hole in zone lines if a player is following an oppo player
Did you mean OR defensive forwards.

Saint2
Club Player

We need midfielders who can get their hands on the ball first, and dispose cleanly.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 11:30pm

I’ve read elsewhere tge running patterns plus defensive side of his game is what he’s agreed he needs to work on
It’s also be said they don’t want to just relegate him to B a tagging role as last coach - they want him to develop to ball winning mid in his own right and free from AFL pressure to learn that
I like that the coaches have committed to working with him - we whinge we don’t develop players…first sign we are and people still whinge ..
35 plus possessions with Sandringham shows that he has a well developed ball winning ability already but
the master coach knows better. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Saint2 wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 4:01pm We need midfielders who can get their hands on the ball first, and dispose cleanly.
Exactly, so why use them defensively when you can have a tagger role.

Teams with good midfields get the luxury, but we don't.

repta
Club Player

I hope Windy doesn't become the new Luke Ball.
Unloved and under utilised by Ross Lyon.

Tagging / run with is a great way of learning the midfield role. Done right with good balance it can be encorporated into a team defence. Especially against the big possession players.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 6:50pm

35 plus possessions with Sandringham shows that he has a well developed ball winning ability already but
I agree. Time for Seb to get a run in the VFL and make room. Seb can still come back if he can get 35 in the VFL. 😉

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 9:51am
saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 6:50pm

I agree. Time for Seb to get a run in the VFL and make room. Seb can still come back if he can get 35 in the VFL. 😉
Lol bang on CQ
Master coach will see to it I think !

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did Seb get dropped?

Either you’re wrong

Or

The coach’s wrong

Which is it??

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 7:07pm Did Seb get dropped?

Either you’re wrong

Or

The coach’s wrong

Which is it??
I like Seb on the bench. Think he could extend his career well there. He's been swimming between the flags and now he can sit in the lifeguard tower in between paddles.