Carlton Woeful

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlton Woeful

I watched a few minutes, and I actually felt for that MacKay guy..

I saw Max King kicked 1.7 and 1.5 and every other guy like Members who just can't hit a barn under pressure.

I asked myself if we would have beaten both of those teams last night, and surprisingly, I admitted to myself, that yes..we would. We would beat both Sydney* and Carlton in Sydney last night.

Don't ask me again after today's match

*Injury-depleted Sydney with rusty Hickey...not full-complememnt with well-oiled Ruckman

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This is not specific to Carlton but one of the challenges with trading in “stars” or bigger name talent is that inevitably one has to engage in a bidding war and usually pay overs to get them.

Carlton appear to have a plethora of names, especially in the middle, that earn more than what their output suggests they’re worth.

Cerra
Kennedy
Hewett
Acres
McGovern

Possibly Saad and Doherty too? (Can’t remember if they were traded in)

That’s a huge portion of their salary cap and to be honest… none of those guys are consistently playing at the standard they should, though they have good patches here and there), to warrant being on A-Level money

I always thought one of the toughest jobs in football is negotiating to play players what they’re worth and not being afraid to let them go if they’re after crazy overs.

Hills pbly the obvious one for us that got brought in on super crazy money… but to be honest, I like his contribution, especially moreso lately, and he’s gotten better over time.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

They screwed themselves over big time with the McGovern deal.

They got Acres cheap but realistically ,he's playing the same zero impact football he played for us with just a few extra possessions thrown in

Cerra a talent and cost them plenty , but his output is inconsistent.

Saad is a great player.

Hewett is a workhorse

Their biggest problem is that their small and medium-sized forwards are just no good. It's Curnow, King, or bust.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 27 May 2023 1:17pm They screwed themselves over big time with the McGovern deal.

They got Acres cheap but realistically ,he's playing the same zero impact football he played for us with just a few extra possessions thrown in

Cerra a talent and cost them plenty , but his output is inconsistent.

Saad is a great player.

Hewett is a workhorse

Their biggest problem is that their small and medium-sized forwards are just no good. It's Curnow, King, or bust.
I see Carlton, with this lot, and including with Voss, getting it together and becoming much better. I see a potential top 4 finish, maybe not this year, but next.

Then I predict a middling decline, before Voss is packed off, and they start all over again.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 27 May 2023 12:57pm
Carlton appear to have a plethora of names, especially in the middle, that earn more than what their output suggests they’re worth.

Cerra
Kennedy
Hewett
Acres
McGovern

Possibly Saad and Doherty too? (Can’t remember if they were traded in)
Saad yes. He was recruited from Essendon. Carlton was also chasing another bloke and they managed to get him in from Gold Coast

He hasn’t played much…but he was enticed on very good money (he definitely qualifies as someone earning more than he’s worth)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/148890/blue ... ason-draft

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

They also paid heavily for Zac Williams. Don't think he's played more than a handful of games.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/06/ ... -cost-them

happy feet
Club Player

Never mind Carton being woeful……….

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
happy feet
Club Player

Never mind Carton being woeful……….

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 27 May 2023 4:01pm Never mind Carton being woeful……….
Replace with st kilda in thread title

saint4life
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Carscum might be woeful but so were we yesterday. Piss weak effort IMHFO.

Coaches seemed powerless to stop the Hawks run on too.

wally
Club Player

Yes I am guilty of hanging it on Carlton only to find our clubs performance making me hang my head.

BadRossco
Club Player

Carlton will probably tear us a new one next time we meet so wouldn’t be too critical at the moment.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Brian Cook, their CEO, knows the club has over committed to a handful of inconsistent or injury prone players, their list is flawed and their Salary cap is bulging.

Looks like we get to rejoice in their misery for a few more years. :lol:

There must come a point when even the most incompetent clubs realise that sacking the coach is not the complete answer.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Oh, what fun it is to see Carlton’s season go rapidly down the drain :lol:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 27 May 2023 12:42pm I watched a few minutes, and I actually felt for that MacKay guy..

I saw Max King kicked 1.7 and 1.5 and every other guy like Members who just can't hit a barn under pressure.

I asked myself if we would have beaten both of those teams last night, and surprisingly, I admitted to myself, that yes..we would. We would beat both Sydney* and Carlton in Sydney last night.

Don't ask me again after today's match

*Injury-depleted Sydney with rusty Hickey...not full-complememnt with well-oiled Ruckman
Yeah, we can beat Sydney this year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

By the tone of this thread anyone would think we'd won four of the last ten premierships.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Opposition coaches must see a match against Carlton as a week off for them: they don't need to put a lot of thought into their game plan. Carlton are easy to defend against because, although they are reasonably good at winning the ball and even keeping locked into their forward line, they don’t have many avenues to goal. Defences can focus on blocking Curnow and be confident that the rest, including Mackay, will rarely kick a winning score between them.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 7:57am Opposition coaches must see a match against Carlton as a week off for them: they don't need to put a lot of thought into their game plan. Carlton are easy to defend against because, although they are reasonably good at winning the ball and even keeping locked into their forward line, they don’t have many avenues to goal. Defences can focus on blocking Curnow and be confident that the rest, including Mackay, will rarely kick a winning score between them.
Curnow gets a lot of free kicks though, most of which end up as goals.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 12:02am Brian Cook, their CEO, knows the club has over committed to a handful of inconsistent or injury prone players, their list is flawed and their Salary cap is bulging.

There must come a point when even the most incompetent clubs realise that sacking the coach is not the complete answer.
Some learnings for us in there too.

We need to learn from others successes, and also others mistakes.

Clearly the answer is that we need some dodgy business deals to lure players, and have some lucky father/son picks.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 12:02am Brian Cook, their CEO, knows the club has over committed to a handful of inconsistent or injury prone players, their list is flawed and their Salary cap is bulging.

Sacking the coach is not the complete answer, but persevering with a sub-standard coach is worse.

Personally I take some perverse pleasure in Carlton's woe's, but really that's not the answer. We have enough challenges at St Kilda, and every effort needs to be made to get the Saints into premership contention.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 11:43am

Some learnings for us in there
Sorry, one of my pet peeves
You don’t learn a learning
You learn a lesson

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 2:14pm
Otiman wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 11:43am

Some learnings for us in there
Sorry, one of my pet peeves
You don’t learn a learning
You learn a lesson
Learning is a part of a planned lesson. You can take a learning and plan to learn without the need for a lesson. The outcome is not planned, its learnt.
We can take learning, and plan a lesson but, we will need to test the learning first.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The learning from last week’s lesson is that we can safely book a September holiday!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 3:13pm The learning from last week’s lesson is that we can safely book a September holiday!
No, that's a projection. Based on a 50% winning rate over the last 7 weeks.
Losses to Collingwood and Port are justified by form, but could easily have been wins.
Adelaide are in similar form to us, so no real reality in that lesson, but some great learnings for future planning.
The Hawthorn loss shook everyone but a close win would reflect on our system, not our form, we'd have pinched it by staying in it, not dropping it. We are just out of form.

Well that's the rational angle, anyway.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Sat 03 Jun 2023 3:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If we continue in a WL pattern we should have 13 wins. Don't book anything yet. Only Collingwood and Port have anything resembling peak form and we have credit with both of them.