Votes v Dees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Votes v Dees

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 4:54pm
Brynes and Wood also excellent

Got to say, that's the best we have played in weeks.
Got to get that I50 Kick sorted out, but still proud of the boys and that effort
Ryan Byrnes was our best player for the 3rd quarter, in my opinion. His desire and clean hands led to quite a few scoring opportunities for us. He hunted the loose ground balls and won contests in tight.

His last quarter was also good. He showed why the coaches have persisted with him. He'll get better as he gains belief.

With 6 minutes until the final siren we needed 4 goals- we were down by 20 pts. Every Saint showed urgency and we moved the football from one end to the other with good team work and (surprisingly) good skills as well. We got 1 back and now 5 minutes left.

The tv camera panned to Goody on the boundary and he seemed to be a bit panicked because he knew we weren't laying down.

if it wasn't for Gresham and his undisciplined act, Owens would have been lining up to put us within reach. In general, I think we play better when we have an attacking mind set.

Considering our lack of rotations and the time on ground for most of our players they were galant.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

5 RoMa
4 NWM
3 Howard
2 Steele
1 Byrnes

StPeter will be upset with me for leaving out Sincs.

Hey CURLY; Check out Ronnie's disposal efficiency

avid
Club Player

Marshall
Steele
NWM
Sinclair
Webster

StPeter
Club Player

5 Marshall
4 NWM
3 Sinclair
2 Steele
1 Webster

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Marshall
NWM
Steele
Webster
Byrnes

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

109 Marshall
73 Wanganeen Milera
62 Steele
40 Sinclair
20 Webster
8 Howard
7 Crouch
5 Byrnes
4 Wilkie
1 Gresham
1 Owens

Therefore:
5 Marshall
4 Wanganeen Milera
3 Steele
2 Sinclair
1 Webster

I think the is the absolute first time that one player has been voted BOG by EVERYONE!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 6:03pm 5 RoMa
4 NWM
3 Howard
2 Steele
1 Byrnes

He costs us countless times up forward his refusal to flick out quick hands is a liability.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 11 Jul 2023 9:03am
4 NWM
3 Howard
2 Steele
1 Byrnes

He costs us countless times up forward his refusal to flick out quick hands is a liability.
He swooped on the loose ground balls with speed. His ball handling and evasive skills went up a notch. He was clean with 4 inside 50's and 1 direct goal assist. His decision making was elite in this particular game

There are mistakes and negatives with many players and even the guys who usually get the best on votes. Have a look closely at Ronnie's numbers and compare them to some of the guys with multiple turnovers.

7 contested. 7 intercepts. 18 disposals at 100% DE. That's zero turnovers.

You're inability to see a kid improving his football will continue to cost you any credibility you may have had remaining

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Jul 2023 10:07am
4 NWM
3 Howard
2 Steele
1 Byrnes

He swooped on the loose ground balls with speed. His ball handling and evasive skills went up a notch. He was clean with 4 inside 50's and 1 direct goal assist. His decision making was elite in this particular game

There are mistakes and negatives with many players and even the guys who usually get the best on votes. Have a look closely at Ronnie's numbers and compare them to some of the guys with multiple turnovers.

You're inability to see a kid improving his football will continue to cost you any credibility you may have had remaining

Watch how many times he receives the ball and soon as he gets any contact just holds onto it. Never releases the ball to continue a scoring chain.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

4 NWM
3 Howard
2 Steele
1 Byrnes

Watch how many times he receives the ball and soon as he gets any contact just holds onto it. Never releases the ball to continue a scoring chain.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 11 Jul 2023 2:15pm
4 NWM
3 Howard
2 Steele
1 Byrnes

When you say 'watch how many times' are you saying he has a habit of doing it, and therefore it's something I should look out for next match...or what?

Be specific.

Are you talking about the Melbourne game?

Which quarter?

Please don't make a general statement or expect me to watch the whole game again. I watched the replay before submitting my votes on this thread and I thought Ryan was exceptional in the second half.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I agree - Byrnes best performance since the Essendon game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When CURLY says; "costs us countless times up forward his refusal to flick out quick hands is a liability"... it all depends on the situation

If a player gets rid of the footy to green grass because they hear footsteps or they are surrounded by opposition, that is worse than hanging onto the ball and getting a stoppage out of it.

Most players who flick off a quick handball (to no one in particular) or try and kick and it gets smothered are being selfish imo. It usually results in a turnover.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 7:46pm When CURLY says; "costs us countless times up forward his refusal to flick out quick hands is a liability"... it all depends on the situation

If a player gets rid of the footy to green grass because they hear footsteps or they are surrounded by opposition, that is worse than hanging onto the ball and getting a stoppage out of it.

Most players who flick off a quick handball (to no one in particular) or try and kick and it gets smothered are being selfish imo. It usually results in a turnover.

In the forward 50 keeping the ball moving is more often than not essential to score. Curling up in a ball at the slightest contact and creating a stoppage is just what the opposition defenders want.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 10:16pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 7:46pm When CURLY says; "costs us countless times up forward his refusal to flick out quick hands is a liability"... it all depends on the situation

In the forward 50 keeping the ball moving is more often than not essential to score. Curling up in a ball at the slightest contact and creating a stoppage is just what the opposition defenders want.
Be specific. When did Ryan do it? Which match? Which quarter?

You're making a general statement. It sounds more like what Billings used to do. Maybe that's why Ross wasn't keen to rush him back in.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 10:40pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 10:16pm

Be specific. When did Ryan do it? Which match? Which quarter?

You're making a general statement. It sounds more like what Billings used to do. Maybe that's why Ross wasn't keen to rush him back in.

The Melbourne game it was noticeable. He’s just not a smart footballer.

Swings on his left which is another poor habit.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you want to make general statements to justify your preconceived bias that's fine

Debate over mate.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 10:47pm If you want to make general statements to justify your preconceived bias that's fine

Debate over mate.
I’m not going through the entire game again giving you the exact moments. Watching the game it was obvious as he repeated it a number of times.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bullshiitt

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 10:52pmBullshiitt
No it’s not.

You’re either biased or don’t know what you’re looking at.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 6:51am
No it’s not.

You'd be hopeless in a court room

First quarter we jumped out to an early lead. We were dominating territory. We also got most of the frees. I can understand why you were frustrated because even though we had double the i50's, (Yes- Double) Melbourne ended up being in front at quarter time

In that first quarter, you whinged about a few things mostly umpire related, including the call from the arc which was a rookie error (and Mattaes knew he stuffed up) but you said nothing about Crouch's turnover which led to an easy goal to them. You said nothing about Howard's turnover which also cost us another goal.

You said nothing about the crap kicks inside 50 from Sinclair and the one from Steele which gave May an easy sit on Cordy's head. Turnovers or loopy kicks inside 50 from Wilkie and these senior players went unnoticed or at worst, were accepted as errors.

Second quarter as soon as you sight Ronnie Byrnes (2 minutes in) you take your frustration out on him and fabricate something THAT ACTUALLY DIDN'T HAPPEN THE WAY YOUR MIND thought it happened.

Byrnes picked up the loose ground ball and Niel-Bullen was right there to hold him up. Ronnie had no other option. If he tried to handball it would have been smothered. Your perception is sadly clouded by your normal tendency to blame an umpire or a player you don't like.

I challenge any one to watch it again. If you have Kayo you can also go to slo-mo mode to see how close the Melbourne player was.

It was 2 minutes into the second quarter and it had no bearing on a turnover. It DID NOT RESULT IN A GOAL TO MELBOURNE. Again...I can understand you were frustrated because it came shortly after Gresh was penalised for playing on and he got caught red handed. The ump called play on correctly after Gresh chose to accept the handball from Mason Wood...BUT you were WRONG about the umpires call against Gresh and you are wrong about Byrnes too.

So...you are making up stuff. You are also trying to paint a picture of it happening multiple times. It didn't. The only thing that happened multiple times was our dumb kicking i50 to May.

We had about 5-6 entries after the ball up when Byrnes was tackled by Neil-Bullen. We had 3 shots at goal for 3 behinds. We had Sinclair, Crouch, Jones, and Billings doing the same old same old loopy kicks to the hot spot where Lever and May kept mopping it up...and yet...the only thing you complained about was something you fabricated and thought was real...Perception IS REAL in your mind...but the video evidence tells a different story

Byrnes had a very good game. He played a ripper in the second half. He was close to BoG for us in the 3rd. 100% disposal efficiency.

Byrnes, Howard and Crouch scored similar votes for the Saintsational Eastern Memorial trophy this week...and yet CURLY comes on here with crap like this
He costs us countless times up forward his refusal to flick out quick hands is a liability"

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 12:25pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 6:51am
No it’s not.

You'd be hopeless in a court room

First quarter we jumped out to an early lead. We were dominating territory. We also got most of the frees. I can understand why you were frustrated because even though we had double the i50's, (Yes- Double) Melbourne ended up being in front at quarter time

In that first quarter, you whinged about a few things mostly umpire related, including the call from the arc which was a rookie error (and Mattaes knew he stuffed up) but you said nothing about Crouch's turnover which led to an easy goal to them. You said nothing about Howard's turnover which also cost us another goal.

You said nothing about the crap kicks inside 50 from Sinclair and the one from Steele which gave May an easy sit on Cordy's head. Turnovers or loopy kicks inside 50 from Wilkie and these senior players went unnoticed or at worst, were accepted as errors.

Second quarter as soon as you sight Ronnie Byrnes (2 minutes in) you take your frustration out on him and fabricate something THAT ACTUALLY DIDN'T HAPPEN THE WAY YOUR MIND thought it happened.

Byrnes picked up the loose ground ball and Niel-Bullen was right there to hold him up. Ronnie had no other option. If he tried to handball it would have been smothered. Your perception is sadly clouded by your normal tendency to blame an umpire or a player you don't like.

I challenge any one to watch it again. If you have Kayo you can also go to slo-mo mode to see how close the Melbourne player was.

It was 2 minutes into the second quarter and it had no bearing on a turnover. It DID NOT RESULT IN A GOAL TO MELBOURNE. Again...I can understand you were frustrated because it came shortly after Gresh was penalised for playing on and he got caught red handed. The ump called play on correctly after Gresh chose to accept the handball from Mason Wood...BUT you were WRONG about the umpires call against Gresh and you are wrong about Byrnes too.

So...you are making up stuff. You are also trying to paint a picture of it happening multiple times. It didn't. The only thing that happened multiple times was our dumb kicking i50 to May.

We had about 5-6 entries after the ball up when Byrnes was tackled by Neil-Bullen. We had 3 shots at goal for 3 behinds. We had Sinclair, Crouch, Jones, and Billings doing the same old same old loopy kicks to the hot spot where Lever and May kept mopping it up...and yet...the only thing you complained about was something you fabricated and thought was real...Perception IS REAL in your mind...but the video evidence tells a different story

Byrnes had a very good game. He played a ripper in the second half. He was close to BoG for us in the 3rd. 100% disposal efficiency.

Byrnes, Howard and Crouch scored similar votes for the Saintsational Eastern Memorial trophy this week...and yet CURLY comes on here with crap like this
He costs us countless times up forward his refusal to flick out quick hands is a liability"
Nice tangent. The fact is the issue is real and you refusing to acknowledge it doesn't change anything.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I can't change your PERCEPTION. I acknowledge that.

Your statements about Ronnie are wrong

I'm simply presenting evidence from the match and letting others decide who is right

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 1:43pm I can't change your PERCEPTION. I acknowledge that.

Your statements about Ronnie are wrong

I'm simply presenting evidence from the match and letting others decide who is right
What my opinion on any other event in the game is it doesn't change the glaring faults in Byrnes game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend