Changing coaches has been a failure, IMHFO.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changing coaches has been a failure, IMHFO.

realdeal wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:09pm
Otiman wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:01pm
realdeal wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:54pm Considering he inherited exactly the same team and then that said team has been decimated by injuries we're probably 3 wins ahead of where we should be!
Problem is we were 6 wins ahead at one point.
Shows how well he started then...

5 of our starting fwds have played under 25 games... We're up against it but some of our performances have been so unacceptable.

Really, its hard to judge until he's actually had a pre season with the team, until then who r ewally knows. But they'll definitely be changes come years end.
Correct
Ignore the hysterics
We are 18 games into a new coach
Let’s see how we look in 3 years like Ratten had
18 games with a middling list
Lots in this thread bookmarked

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

You are one out here. A lone voice. That was a really inept disgraceful performance which clearly shows that the side has gone backwards this year. I blame the coach but you can blame the players.

Bookmark what you like. i will prove to be correct, and not you.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

So what happened? The players heard all about how hard and tough Ross was, trained hard, worked hard, played hard. Found cuddly Ross at training and went back to old habits.

No more cuddly Ross.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:29pm So what happened? The players heard all about how hard and tough Ross was, trained hard, worked hard, played hard. Found cuddly Ross at training and went back to old habits.

No more cuddly Ross.
One would f****** hope so.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:29pm You are one out here. A lone voice. That was a really inept disgraceful performance which clearly shows that the side has gone backwards this year. I blame the coach but you can blame the players.

Reported for baiting

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:33pm
saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:29pm You are one out here. A lone voice. That was a really inept disgraceful performance which clearly shows that the side has gone backwards this year. I blame the coach but you can blame the players.

Reported for baiting
That's not baiting, that's just telling the truth.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:36pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:33pm

Reported for baiting
That's not baiting, that's just telling the truth.
Reported for baiting

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:33pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:24pm Only a failure if you genuinely expected to be playing finals this year.
Well, six or seven weeks ago I did.
Its a failure because we should be in the 8 at the end of the season and we wont be. And the club has been softening us up for the failure.
Can you honestly tell me any professional coach(s), other than ours, in AFL, including assistants and VFL, and development coaches could contrive to make our two all Australians into inept plodders and set up an attacking group/system that is quite so hopelessly, comically ineffective. They could not if you paid them.
Is a joke. There are big unseen problems at Linton Street. Although the results are obvious.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

So the Coach murdered the ball by foot, missed easy handballs, fumbled and made moronic decisions resulting in killer turnover?

Our midfield is the worst in the competition. Only Steele would get a game in most other midfields. Its no accident we became competitive, although the damage was done on the scoreboard, in the final quarter when Owens, Jones and Clark went in there.

Are the injuries on the Coach too?

The main issue is our midfield. Until that's fixed by adding personnel and Owens, Phillipou and Windhager getting games under their belt, we will not be a Top 4 team.

Oh, but its simpler and concise to blame the Coach. Who despite having a raft of injuries all year and a crap midfield, has won more games than he's lost.

realdeal
Club Player

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:06pm

So the Coach murdered the ball by foot, missed easy handballs, fumbled and made moronic decisions resulting in killer turnover?

Our midfield is the worst in the competition. Only Steele would get a game in most other midfields. Its no accident we became competitive, although the damage was done on the scoreboard, in the final quarter when Owens, Jones and Clark went in there.

The main issue is our midfield. Until that's fixed by adding personnel and Owens, Phillipou and Windhager getting games under their belt, we will not be a Top 4 team.

Oh, but its simpler and concise to blame the Coach. Who despite having a raft of injuries all year and a crap midfield, has won more games than he's lost.
Makes complete sense!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not a failure

It just hasn’t made any difference

As I clearly stated

Wouldn’t matter if Damien Drum or Alastair Clarkson coached this side - they win 10-12 games

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I noticed a lack of commitment especially in the
Marking contests Just uninspired.

Worst game this year. There were other terrible games but that was a shocker

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:06pm

So did Ratts last year but if he was still in charge today most of the posters on here would be calling for his head.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:50pm History will show that RTB inherited a side he had little respect for. "I can't take this lot anywhere," if rumours are true.

But the playing group were sure sh*tscared of him,. We've all heard stories of players doing heaps of extra gym work and training in the off-season.

Voila. Season starts and the team plays well above itself. These are the glory days of high fives for RTB as he comes off the ground. CC-packets being handed around.

Seems a century ago now.

Because somewhere along the way the tream started to falter.

Enter "Mulligan" Ross. Still talking the team up. Saying they're giving maximum effort. Inventing excuses. Playing favourites despite conspicuously poor form. Looking very satisfied with himself.

Voila. Mulligan Ross is satisfied with mediocrity so we don't need to be sh*tscared anymore. We can safely return to all our bad habits.

Then comes the season-killing Male Depression Game. (This usually takes 8 weeks to recover from so I if it really has to be a fixture of the season I beg the club to get it over with in Round One next year and spare us another false dawn.)

I used to be an RTB fanboy. I alwasy said that in his first tenure at the Saints there were few if any half-hearted performances.

There have been many this year since Mulligan Ross entered the scene and I've lost the faith.
I concur
Watching some of the press conferences over the season and reading between the lines , I think Ross is working us towards our true position.
I'd just love him to tell the truth.
He's working out who to cut , who to trade and now he just needs to improve our draft position.
It was clear by mid season that we aren't good enough to contend for the flag , so what's the point of finishing in the lower half of the eight .
It makes us fans happy but let's face it the last thing footy clubs give a F@#$ about is the fans .
Draft pick 4 - 8 is much better than 10 - 14
I reckon that's what Ross is after .

In red white and black from 73
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:46pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:50pm History will show that RTB inherited a side he had little respect for. "I can't take this lot anywhere," if rumours are true.

But the playing group were sure sh*tscared of him,. We've all heard stories of players doing heaps of extra gym work and training in the off-season.

Voila. Season starts and the team plays well above itself. These are the glory days of high fives for RTB as he comes off the ground. CC-packets being handed around.

Seems a century ago now.

Because somewhere along the way the tream started to falter.

Enter "Mulligan" Ross. Still talking the team up. Saying they're giving maximum effort. Inventing excuses. Playing favourites despite conspicuously poor form. Looking very satisfied with himself.

Voila. Mulligan Ross is satisfied with mediocrity so we don't need to be sh*tscared anymore. We can safely return to all our bad habits.

Then comes the season-killing Male Depression Game. (This usually takes 8 weeks to recover from so I if it really has to be a fixture of the season I beg the club to get it over with in Round One next year and spare us another false dawn.)

I used to be an RTB fanboy. I alwasy said that in his first tenure at the Saints there were few if any half-hearted performances.

There have been many this year since Mulligan Ross entered the scene and I've lost the faith.
I concur
Watching some of the press conferences over the season and reading between the lines , I think Ross is working us towards our true position.
I'd just love him to tell the truth.
He's working out who to cut , who to trade and now he just needs to improve our draft position.
It was clear by mid season that we aren't good enough to contend for the flag , so what's the point of finishing in the lower half of the eight .
It makes us fans happy but let's face it the last thing footy clubs give a F@#$ about is the fans .
Draft pick 4 - 8 is much better than 10 - 14
I reckon that's what Ross is after .
I don't see much reason for RTB to tell the truth otherwise no one will walk through our Used Player Yard. Leave the truth for history to reveal.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The squad is not Ross's fault. He took on a team with poor skills and hasn't improved them in any way. Maybe he needs more time to improve the skills.
I do not blame the coach for our win loss record and I don't know if we would have won more or less with Ratts.
However, what cannot be excused is that he has come in and changed our style to be the hardest to watch in the comp. We play anti-football. I actually think that Ross hates the game because he seems to want to make it almost unwatchable.
I watched us get spanked week in week out in the eighties but even then I didn't hate watching football now with Ross I do. Let's not forget that in the end football and all sport is meant to be entertainment. Ross doesn't understand that and for that reason I would happily see the back of him.

Saint2
Club Player

Bassat as a Saint supporter wanted a quick fix and was prepared to throw a lot of money into the ring to relive the past- it was a flop as I expected. It reminds me of the oldies music circuit- pay a bunch of guys who have been out of the scene for years to play their old songs to make people happy, but in reality it's mostly cr@p

lewdogs
Club Player

The reason they sacked Ratten was because they believed he didn't set the standards required to make the long term improvements required by the club and players. He was at the club for three years and in that time we went nowhere.

As supporters we want the quick turnaround of course we do, but realistically we won't know if the coaching change was a success for a couple of years.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:09pm Shows how well he started then...
I'm still yet to put my finger on those performances.

Did our opponents underestimate us?
Did we have a structure that was eventually worked out?
Did the emotional tickets with a new coach run out?
Did we start drinking our own bathwater?
Were we actually good?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 9:58pm The reason they sacked Ratten was because they believed he didn't set the standards required to make the long term improvements required by the club and players. He was at the club for three years and in that time we went nowhere.

As supporters we want the quick turnaround of course we do, but realistically we won't know if the coaching change was a success for a couple of years.
We should know if it's a success well before then, but we won't know if it's a failure until then.

JR23
Club Player

RTB is an old school coach and hasnt adapted .
Plays favourites , stubborn to fault and cant change plans no matter how bad we play.
And he assembled a cronie coaching group that are too scared to challenge him when things go wrong

Thats what we hired and he hired ..... unfortunately

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This is just emotional, hysterical BS.

Now I’m no RTB fan boy… in fact, unlike the many who jumped on the bandwagon after RL left, forumites in this thread included… I fell off early 2010 and was critical even when we were making GFs.

That said… you cannot possibly make a measured and informed decision 18 rounds into the season. The man hasn’t even had a trade period yet or the opportunity to seriously adjust the list as he sees fit.

We started well and have fallen away. Given the injuries we’ve had and the youth coming through… calling what’s happened a failure is just out of step with reality.

Even comparisons with last season are illogical because it’s not entirely the same list/draw and RTB came on after the trade.
The earliest opportunity to really make a realistic assessment of where we are going will be after the draft + trade as that will give us an indication of what he’s properly seen as the changes to make and/or the direction take is going to be taken.

What I’m seeing right now is inconsistency, erratic play, injuries, youth, better fitness… the very definition of a complete mixed bag and transition.

Get a grip every one

Richo had 5 years and ppl were complaining when he was pushed
Ratts had 3 years and is heavily defended right now

RTB has had 18 games and the same ppl think it’s a disaster

This is emotional rubbish
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Changing coaches has been a failure...

Depends

What are you looking at? The ladder? Win loss ratio? Have training standards improved? Have injury rates declined?

Do we look like we're playing better football than 2022?

If you're in the membership and sales departments are they happy?

Is Lethlean and Bassatt happy?
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:34pm This is just emotional, hysterical BS.

Now I’m no RTB fan boy… in fact, unlike the many who jumped on the bandwagon after RL left, forumites in this thread included… I fell off early 2010 and was critical even when we were making GFs.

That said… you cannot possibly make a measured and informed 18 rounds into the season. The man hasn’t even had a trade period yet or the opportunity to seriously adjust the list as he sees fit.

We started well and have fallen away. Given the injuries we’ve had and the youth coming through… calling what’s happened a failure is just out of step with reality.

Even comparisons with last season are illogical because it’s not entirely the same list/draw and RTB came on after the trade.
The earliest opportunity to really make a realistic assessment of where we are going will be after the draft + trade as that will give us an indication of what he’s properly seen as the changes to make and/or the direction take is going to be taken.

What I’m seeing right now is inconsistency, erratic play, injuries, youth, better fitness… the very definition of a complete mixed bag and transition.

Get a grip every one

Richo had 5 years and ppl were complaining when he was pushed
Ratts had 3 years and is heavily defended right now

RTB has had 18 games and the same ppl think it’s a disaster

This is emotional rubbish
I think people are sick of constant failure, that happens regardless of changes made, regardless of the BS that emanates from the club, in order to get supporters to recommit for the following season.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Richmond were lower than us in 2016. The following year they won the flag (In fact, we flogged them in Rd 15 of that same year.)

Melbourne were lower than us in 2020 (we made the finals and they didn't). The following year they won the flag.

Collingwood were lower than us in 2021. Now they're flag favourites and we're loking likely to drop out of the eight.

Who from the lower ranks is going to fly past us next year? GWS?? Hell, maybe this year?

Why this weary cycle of treading water? Or worse, false dawns followed by total collapse?