Ross's Presser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintDippa
Club Player

Re: Ross's Presser

Suns 52 I50s for 26 shots. Saints 48 for 13 looks.
Same old for the past months.
Can't win if the opposition know how you enter and have a plan to run it out.
Surely it's as simple as a strict instruction to kick to someone open 35/40 out in space rather than the rubbish deep entries that is the ingrained norm.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 1:08pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:55pm Why oh why isn't Ross Lyons magic wand working I hear you all bleet.

FFS he wasn't even here during the trade period and the draft.

The effort and system are absolutely stacking up. We're 6th and have had opportunities to win most games. Despite several challenges and a 6th to 12th quality list. (as it was last year)

IMO we are tracking to the below.

This year 6th to 12th
Next year 4th to 8th
2025 2nd to 6th
Teams have worked out how to play against us

Agree with this, earlier this year we were able to get away with poor execution at times. Now we can not.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
older saint
SS Life Member

Loved it, honest and direct.
He clearly came in knowing where the list was at , however is also well aware of the expectation from members and fans and the inflation of ability that us mugs in the stands have at times about players.

interesting comments were:
Jones still learning the game plan going lateral too often - he will learn this (clearly a Ratten strategy)
Same players making the same skill errors by hand. Ok but who is there available to come in who is AFL ready? We will know who he means if a surprise change this week.
could tell was probably more annoyed than any other point this season, knows at best we are a 6-8 side and perhaps more 9-11.

Hopefully Higgins and Cordy fit to provide experience forward .
Huge ask for Hayes to come back in off 1 Sandy game after 12 months plus out
Heath not ready for AFL , IMO

If Fit higgins and Cordy in, Clark to stay in

Outs: Peris , Phillipou, .....

By the way although improved does Howard play footy wearing mittens? Never seen a player mishandle the ball as much as he does

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Howard stands around too much. He's not a smart footballer. He's too flat footed.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Well, RTB's comment about being unable to fix this team until the pre-season is all over the media now.

Effectively waving the white flag on season 2023.

Not much point showing up now.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 6:11pm Well, RTB's comment about being unable to fix this team until the pre-season is all over the media now.

f****** madness. Never seen a coach do something so soul destroying in my 70 odd years of watching football.

Talk about trying to protect one's reputation as a coach at the expense of his team.

I can see memberships being halved next year.

You are right about waving the white flag.

Some poster on here was talking about who you would want or wouldn't want in the trenches with you.

I for one would be extremely wary if the trench dweller with me was our chicken hearted coach.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 5:29pm Howard stands around too much. He's not a smart footballer. He's too flat footed.
Howard, Byrnes and the poo need to be dropped.

There are ready made replacements in Highmore, Bytel and if fit, Billings or Higgins.

If the coach was telling the truth about this being a year of discovery, then lets discover what the rest of the list has to offer .

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Bytel has had more discovery this year than many other players.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I'll make this observation :-
Whatever Lyon said in his presser.'

those that are fanboys would love it

those that hate him would loathe it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 6:47pm Bytel has had more discovery this year than many other players.
what, one full game where he did alright but got injured?

Sure he has. :roll:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 7:22pm I'll make this observation :-
Whatever Lyon said in his presser.'

those that are fanboys would love it

those that hate him would loathe it.
Looks some truth but as Secretary of the RTB Fanboy Club, supporting our President Firey, I’m also not against being critical of the great man.
Put it this way….our forward entries needs to be fixed …I don’t think Harvs is a forward coach but it’s up to Lyon to get it right
What I will do is give him till end next year - if team is still kicking 2 goals a qtr and no attempt has been made to drastically change the structure/make up of the list …I will be no 1 candidate for “remove Ross Lyon” fan club

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 6:11pm Well, RTB's comment about being unable to fix this team until the pre-season is all over the media now.

People want honesty he’s honest ….not happy
Maybe he should’ve adopted Ratten approach….just tell us the effort wasn’t good enough for 10 weeks straight with no clue
I’m ok as my expectations this year wasn’t finals
I think a few mugs got caught up in this lists 2 card trick…get fit ..come out if the blocks….by June…feet up

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 1:18pm
sks023 wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 1:08pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:55pm Why oh why isn't Ross Lyons magic wand working I hear you all bleet.

FFS he wasn't even here during the trade period and the draft.

The effort and system are absolutely stacking up. We're 6th and have had opportunities to win most games. Despite several challenges and a 6th to 12th quality list. (as it was last year)

IMO we are tracking to the below.

This year 6th to 12th
Next year 4th to 8th
2025 2nd to 6th
Teams have worked out how to play against us

Agree with this, earlier this year we were able to get away with poor execution at times. Now we can not.
I think the pressure early gear was off the chart
We saw in Melb game (our best for a while) it was back and we looked a far far better side ….still not finishing our work but the game was played on our terms
GC? We don’t turn up and get pressured and crumbled
Skills fell away
Up n down tells us we don’t have enough quality in the team to sustain the level for a season
Solution?
Get better players /more talent on the list weed out duds

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 3:06pm Loved it, honest and direct.
He clearly came in knowing where the list was at , however is also well aware of the expectation from members and fans and the inflation of ability that us mugs in the stands have at times about players.

interesting comments were:
Jones still learning the game plan going lateral too often - he will learn this (clearly a Ratten strategy)
Same players making the same skill errors by hand. Ok but who is there available to come in who is AFL ready? We will know who he means if a surprise change this week.
could tell was probably more annoyed than any other point this season, knows at best we are a 6-8 side and perhaps more 9-11.

Hopefully Higgins and Cordy fit to provide experience forward .
Huge ask for Hayes to come back in off 1 Sandy game after 12 months plus out
Heath not ready for AFL , IMO

If Fit higgins and Cordy in, Clark to stay in

Outs: Peris , Phillipou, .....

By the way although improved does Howard play footy wearing mittens? Never seen a player mishandle the ball as much as he does
I agree he’s refreshingly honest
1 thing he said that stuck out to me about our forward entries that he mentioned he told players …”when going forward…I don’t know what you are going to do…..”
Lyon likes predictability …that doesn’t mean we have the same build up every time we go forward…but he wants predictability in decision making and skill execution…right now this teams up n down like a yo yo abs he knows he needs to turn it over with better skilled players to get a level of predictability
It’s interesting…if you look at our list through that predictability lens…guys I feel confident are 9/10 going to make a decent decision:
NWM
Sinclair
Wilkie
Billing’s

Maybes
Wood???
Clark…occasionally??

Outside that ????

Chooklotto majority …could be awesome ….could be out on full …could hit an opponent on the chest … then you have the “heart in mouth” brigade ….

Howard ….I squeeze my ass cheeks every time he has the ball …I cracked a walnut on Saturday watching him ..
Byrnes….getting better…but gee …fumbles a lot
Jones….much better when take 1st option and handball
Hill - drives me nuts….gets caught a lot …runs in circles a bit
Marshall - love the grab from ruck….but the bomb forward rarely lands to our advantage

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

White flag raised for this season apparently

Let’s wait until next year?? But reality is, we may go backwards so next years out of the question too

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 10:46pm White flag raised for this season apparently

Let’s wait until next year?? But reality is, we may go backwards so next years out of the question too
Where did Lyon say the coaches or team would stop trying this season?
I’ve watched it twice didn’t hear it

“Yeah….nah””
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 9:17pm

Maybe he should’ve adopted Ratten approach….just tell us the effort wasn’t good enough for 10 weeks straight with no clue
I think a few mugs got caught up in this lists 2 card trick…get fit ..come out if the blocks….by June…feet up
I'm an RTB fan and I'm cvertainly not calling for him to be sacked.

But a team that's 8-4 and then can't even be nursed into the finals makes for a carbon copy of last year's lamentable season. With an easier draw, too.

And suddenly I start asking questions.

Why in "an exploratory year" do we have the fewest number of players used?

Why did Mulligan Ross take over from Ruthless Ross just when the team needed to be really challenged?

Why are blindingly obvious peoblems -- like forward line inefficiency -- not addressed and corrected ASAP?

Why are first-year players Caminiti and Phillipou gifted games while the likes of Windhager, Bytel and Sharman have to learn their craft in the reserves?

Most importrantly, why is effort -- RTB's claim to fame -- so clearly lacking in recent weeks (the honourble loss to Melbourne excluded)?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 12:08am
Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 9:17pm

I'm an RTB fan and I'm cvertainly not calling for him to be sacked.

But a team that's 8-4 and then can't even be nursed into the finals makes for a carbon copy of last year's lamentable season. With an easier draw, too.

And suddenly I start asking questions.

Why in "an exploratory year" do we have the fewest number of players used?

Why did Mulligan Ross take over from Ruthless Ross just when the team needed to be really challenged?

Why are blindingly obvious peoblems -- like forward line inefficiency -- not addressed and corrected ASAP?

Why are first-year players Caminiti and Phillipou gifted games while the likes of Windhager, Bytel and Sharman have to learn their craft in the reserves?

Most importrantly, why is effort -- RTB's claim to fame -- so clearly lacking in recent weeks (the honourble loss to Melbourne excluded)?
All good questions
I’d ask you to take a look at our forward line Saturday - an 18 year 3x 19 year olds and Sharman who’s player 20 games. So I’d start by directing your forward queries there
Related to poor forward work is how the ball comes in - how many times have you seen our midfield this season win a clearance , burst from stoppage and kick to the ADVANTAGE of our forward ? Do you think our forward line inefficiency could be improved if we actually had a functional midfield?
Do you think that will be fixed before seasons end??
I don’t. It requires personnel changes. RTB knows it too.
Fewest players used?….. umm…have you looked at out injury list? I mean really …..there’s f’all sitting round in twos
These aren’t excuses they’re facts
Actually do yourself a favour - go take a look at the side Ratten had at his disposal last year just before the wheels fell off….he had 3 kids in it…..the rest was all our senior core players available…then ask how many times mulligan Ross has had that at his disposal this year ?????
Facts are list he has at his disposal right now compared to last year isn’t remotely the same
Had Ratten had the injuries we’ve had this year we’d have had a few more 112 point belting’s to go with previous smashing a from Bombers and Tigers
Good to ask questions…but the answers are there ..

“Yeah….nah””
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's been injuries since day one of the season with a group of players who've barely played. Three of them are our preferred tall forwards in King, Membrey, and Hayes. Seven games between them.

We've been playing with equally the worst performing (and credentialed) midfield in the comp and the most inexperienced forward line. It's not a great combination for success.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

People say that every team has injuries, but…..there are injury lists and then there are injury lists or in the spirit of Crocodile Dundee, that’s not an injury list, THAT’S an injury list.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coast players, looked bigger, stronger and taller.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Gameplans can be tweaked during the season, not overhauled or changed significantly. That can only happen over a preseason. That's all Lyon was saying, not white flag waving, just a statement of fact.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 1:34pm

Gameplans can be tweaked during the season, not overhauled or changed significantly. That can only happen over a preseason. That's all Lyon was saying, not white flag waving, just a statement of fact.
Agreed
But won’t stop the anti Lyon hysteria

“Yeah….nah””
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 2:56pm

Agreed
Well I suppose its not as bad as some of the hysteria they hear from commentators. A few weeks ago, on the back of a couple of competitive efforts by North. Commentators who should have known better were speculating that perhaps Ratten would be a better Coach for the youngsters at North than Clarkson!!!

Click bait nonsense. These anti Lyon reactionaries need to get off social media and the 24 hour knee jerk cycle. Our Coach's are fine, Lyon knows what it takes, our systems are fine. We need class in the middle simple as that. If we had De Goey & Parish, we'd be a contender, up to our armpits in it. No need to panic, at least now there is clarity about where we are and need to go.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 3:27pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 2:56pm

Agreed
Well I suppose its not as bad as some of the hysteria they hear from commentators. A few weeks ago, on the back of a couple of competitive efforts by North. Commentators who should have known better were speculating that perhaps Ratten would be a better Coach for the youngsters at North than Clarkson!!!

Click bait nonsense. These anti Lyon reactionaries need to get off social media and the 24 hour knee jerk cycle. Our Coach's are fine, Lyon knows what it takes, our systems are fine. We need class in the middle simple as that. If we had De Goey & Parish, we'd be a contender, up to our armpits in it. No need to panic, at least now there is clarity about where we are and need to go.
Bang on - 100%
I’m not at all worried about coaching
I am worried about getting hands on the talent..

“Yeah….nah””