In for next week against Rooboys - Four at least

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

Re: In for next week against Rooboys - Four at least

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 7:38pm I am not sure about Heath at this stage, but I would definitely play Highmore ahead of Howard. Bytel ahead of a clearly injured duo of Jones and Wood. And Campbell/Hayes on the bench. Take your pick.

Yes I would also play Higgins ahead of Peris. Clark is already in the side.

Does any one watch Highmore in the 2s I do he gets the ball and turns it over a lot his kick efficiency is shocking that's why the gets so many disposal because he can not get the ball out of the back line.
He does read the play well and marks well but disposal is horrendous.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Also take a lot of kick outs which pads his stats

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Saints58
Club Player

Killa wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 8:21pm From what I could ascertain yesterday, Wilkie had King (conceding 14cms and 10kgs, King with 12 disposals and 3 marks), Howard had Casbault (size match up and Casbault kept to 3 disposals and 0 marks) and Battle had Lukosius (size match up and Lukosius with 4 goals from 10 disposals and 6 marks)

So why the knock on Howard?

What we do need is assistance for King (forward), Howard (back) and Marshall (Ruck)

Marshall had 19 disposals, 4 marks and 26 hit outs.

Witts, who I would put was THE point of difference feeding his mids as he did from the contests, had 15 possessions, 2 marks and 39 hit outs.

In secondary ruck roles, Casbault had 10 hit outs

Apart from Marshall, no St Kilda player recorded a hit out.

So GCS doubled our hit outs, and that was game, set and match.

Against a side which is very dangerous on their own patch (or in Darwin) with the number of high end Draft Picks they have had.

The fact that their side, with the advantages it has had from high end Draft picks - noting those who have left and for where resulting in further high end Draft picks - is not making a larger footprint on the competition has seen them sack their Coach.

If you look down the stats as indicative, Atkins had 32 and 2 goals, Ainsworth 21 and a goal, Anderson 25 and a goal, Flanders 33, Miller 25, Rowell 22 .

Fed by Wicks - and that was the game.

But stick to bashing Howard.

Simply, pending Adams and Van Es, Howard is the only tall option we have in defence.

Highmore is 193, the same size as Battle who is undersized for a key defender.

Highmore in not a replacement for Howard, never has been and never will be.

I thought we got Cordy who is 195cm played as a KD in a grand final team I think was on buddy and had over 100 games he should be playing as a KD and leave him there with his experience he would help Howard and Willkie exactly what we need but we don't play him and when we do its KPD against Melbourne then forward.
If Howard gets some decent assistants in KPD like cordy he will not feel he is trying to do to much I really thing Howard does a great job.

flack
Club Player

It really doesn't matter who comes in or who goes out, Ross has given up on developing any sort of progress in the team when he acknowledges in his press conference that some players have been making mistakes for a long time. I was angry when I heard that because its his job to get rid of errors in playing style. He needs to start dropping people based on performance not their deodorant. If they've run out of puff give them a break, we have a few spare, but I get the impression holidays have already been booked for September.

lefty
Club Player

Killa wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 8:21pm From what I could ascertain yesterday, Wilkie had King (conceding 14cms and 10kgs, King with 12 disposals and 3 marks), Howard had Casbault (size match up and Casbault kept to 3 disposals and 0 marks) and Battle had Lukosius (size match up and Lukosius with 4 goals from 10 disposals and 6 marks)

So why the knock on Howard?
When that turnover occurred from Sinclair, what was Howard doing? He was standing ball-watching around CHF, whilst an opponent was on the flank free, who took an easy mark and kicked it long to a free player basically in the goal square.

There was another play, where he HAD to grab that ball and hold it in, and he didn't, he got mild contact and the ball went loose, and resulted in a goal. That's just not good enough.

Anytime someone leads on him, their basically guaranteed a mark. He's too slow.

Give me Jason Blake, Dempster, Fisher, etc all day everyday even with the downsize in height and weight.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Peris takes Butler's spot when Higgins returns IMO.

older saint
SS Life Member

Higgins in
Cordy in

Howard - out
Pho - out
Peris - out

Battle to CHF

North dont have Big forwards as such.

nobhead
Club Player

older saint wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 4:47pm Higgins in
Cordy in

Howard - out
Pho - out
Peris - out

Battle to CHF

North dont have Big forwards as such.
Cordy,hayes ,higgins in
Battle fwd ,hayes full forward,dont care if he's not match fit we need him in.bytel sub and clark in the 22 .
Webster howard wilkie
Sinclair cordy nwm
Hill steele wood
Higgins battle byrnes
Butler hayes camminiti
Marshall owens clark
Crouch pou windy gresham

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We're going back to the packet of Arnott's Assorted Creams, but the Monte Carlos, Shortbread Creams and Orange Slices are all gone.

It's out of Higgins, Cordy, and Hayes. I can't see any other player getting a gig. I think Ross gas put a line through Paton, and Bytel's inclusion would only come at the expense of an injured Steele or Crouch.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

flack wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 12:17pm It really doesn't matter who comes in or who goes out, Ross has given up on developing any sort of progress in the team when he acknowledges in his press conference that some players have been making mistakes for a long time. I was angry when I heard that because its his job to get rid of errors in playing style. He needs to start dropping people based on performance not their deodorant. If they've run out of puff give them a break, we have a few spare, but I get the impression holidays have already been booked for September.
Good post. Lyon is too ready to play his favorites and also injured players.Steele and Wood are obviously playing injured and their output has dropped off.

A bit more selection integrity would be greatly appreciated. By me anyway.

Ratts was canned on here for continuing to play Hill last year. This year things are decidedly worse, imhfo.

groupie1
Club Player

Out with the injured, tired, and out of form and in with those showing a bit or who we think have a future. Selection statement game.

Higgins Sharman Hayes
Keeler Caminiti Butler
Hill Crouch Jones
Highmore Sinclair NWM
Connolly Wilkie Van Es
Marshall Owens Windhager
Clark, Bytel, Peris, Cordy
EM: Ross

Steel, Wood injured
Gresh, Byrnes butcher it
Pou for a rest
Howard bad form
Stocker losing confidence
Webster, replaced by Connolly

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 8:02pm
Webster, replaced by Connolly
You have put this comment in the wrong thread, when you get a chance could you please relocate it to the "rock bottom" thread.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Connolly is injured.