Meh to the Sharman doubters.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Meh to the Sharman doubters.

Cooper absolutely needs to hone his skill set to continue being picked.

He has great potential (no doubt), and he is currently in the fringe selections where he could find himself out of the team on matchups, form, or availability.

If Membrey comes good, I think he takes his spot. It's a tough decision. Membrey has plenty of tickets in the bank but is coming off a long injury and poor form at VFL.

Forget about the crap of him being developed as a wingman, he is a marking forward. Natural player in that part of the ground and is at home there. For the same reason Battle is not a forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2023 8:32pm Caminiti is Key Position size

Sharman is not

Therefore they are different
Agree. Sharman is more your "third tall " type. He could well be our replacement for Membrey.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2023 8:44pm Cooper absolutely needs to hone his skill set to continue being picked.

He has great potential (no doubt), and he is currently in the fringe selections where he could find himself out of the team on matchups, form, or availability.

If Membrey comes good, I think he takes his spot. It's a tough decision. Membrey has plenty of tickets in the bank but is coming off a long injury and poor form at VFL.

Forget about the crap of him being developed as a wingman, he is a marking forward. Natural player in that part of the ground and is at home there. For the same reason Battle is not a forward.
I like Sharman a lot but he needs to stick those marks - not the Cazaly type stuff, although that would be fantastic - but just the overhead marks. He dropped a few of those on Sunday. Maybe needs some of that grippo stuff. I remember King earlier on they just kept throwing footy's at him to mark before a game.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2023 9:49pm
B.M wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2023 8:32pm Caminiti is Key Position size

Sharman is not

Therefore they are different
Agree. Sharman is more your "third tall " type. He could well be our replacement for Membrey.
Sharman is as tall as Nick Riewoldt and 5cm taller than Membrey.

I think he’ll be able to make it work as a key forward.

(Caminiti is 3cm taller than Sharman)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2023 10:33pm
Otiman wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2023 8:44pm Cooper absolutely needs to hone his skill set to continue being picked.

I like Sharman a lot but he needs to stick those marks - not the Cazaly type stuff, although that would be fantastic - but just the overhead marks. He dropped a few of those on Sunday. Maybe needs some of that grippo stuff. I remember King earlier on they just kept throwing footy's at him to mark before a game.
Leaping for mark of the century at every attempt but not being able to do the basics will eventually lead to the coach calling you in for a chat. The other issue you see if you watch the replay is he gets caught out of position a few times, mostly behind the pack, as he attempts to position himself for a leap at mark of the century and leaves the ground ball setup out numbered which allows the opposition to take the ball away easy. Fortunately we were playing 3rd last.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

V, you will find that the coaches probably told Cooper to fly for his marks to take Sicily out of the equation. It was a deliberate tactic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

"Grudge of the Century" new reality show where contestants bag their own team players to try to convince otherwise sane people and themselves black is white.
Goebbels (pronounced go balls) would be proud of the unrelenting disassembly.
Its logic attrition like you've never seen.
At first a bit amusing in a back handed way, then grindingly boring and ludicrous.
Probable cause of site going down. Stupidity filter overload.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 9:14am "Grudge of the Century" new reality show where contestants bag their own team players to try to convince otherwise sane people and themselves black is white.
Goebbels (pronounced go balls) would be proud of the unrelenting disassembly.
Its logic attrition like you've never seen.
At first a bit amusing in a back handed way, then grindingly boring and ludicrous.
Probable cause of site going down. Stupidity filter overload.
yep it has been tiresome for awhile now.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 7:35am

Leaping for mark of the century at every attempt but not being able to do the basics will eventually lead to the coach calling you in for a chat. The other issue you see if you watch the replay is he gets caught out of position a few times, mostly behind the pack, as he attempts to position himself for a leap at mark of the century and leaves the ground ball setup out numbered which allows the opposition to take the ball away easy. Fortunately we were playing 3rd last.
I think the coach realises that the only forward not getting pushed around at the moment is Cordy. He can hold ground.

He was instructed to play from behind. It was mentioned quite clearly. I think the coach was the one asking him. Robert Harvey I think they call him.
You can't get shoved out the way if you aren't in the way but if you can leap, you can getfirst touch and bring the ball down.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 10:06am
Vortex wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 7:35am

I think the coach realises that the only forward not getting pushed around at the moment is Cordy. He can hold ground.

He was instructed to play from behind. It was mentioned quite clearly. I think the coach was the one asking him. Robert Harvey I think they call him.
You can't get shoved out the way if you aren't in the way but if you can leap, you can getfirst touch and bring the ball down.
Going to be interesting to see how we perform with Max back because I think he creates too much predictability with our entry and so how will the coaches structure up now they will be spoiled for choices in the Talls department over the next month.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s not just about HT in cm that makes you a KPP

It’s size - it’s strength- it’s overhead ability

I don’t take any notice of HT and WT that listed either. I look at them in comparison to each other.

Cooper is not KPP size - he is a 3
Tim Membrey is shorter but bigger and stronger - he is a 2
Nick Reiwoldt is taller and a better mark - he was a 1

Caminiti will be huge when he fills out in the upper body.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 11:15am

Amen brother, amen.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 11:15am It’s not just about HT in cm that makes you a KPP

It’s size - it’s strength- it’s overhead ability

I don’t take any notice of HT and WT that listed either. I look at them in comparison to each other.

Cooper is not KPP size - he is a 3
Tim Membrey is shorter but bigger and stronger - he is a 2
Nick Reiwoldt is taller and a better mark - he was a 1

Why use data when you can just use BM vibes!

Sharman is the same size as Jack Gunston, that's the kind of player he needs to be.

At this point he's a smarter forward than Caminiti, a better kick for goal, better mark and more explosive.

In a few years we could have a very handy forward line of King-Sharman-Caminiti if they all continue to improve.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is not a quick, agile, or as good at ground level to compare the Gunston

But size wise - yes it’s a good comparison

Playing style he’s more like Todd Marshall from Port

He is very much a mark-kick player

If he was 196-200 he’d be a gun. At 193 and light - he either needs to get bigger and stronger or better at ground level!

Killa
Club Player

May, the cornerstone of Melbourne’s defence, is how tall?

But he weighs in at over 100kg’s

How does Sharman, as a key forward match up on May?

KPP’s also need to be able to hold position

So go man on man to command the ball drop zone including when it is multiples against one

My take anyway

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 11:04pm May, the cornerstone of Melbourne’s defence, is how tall?

But he weighs in at over 100kg’s

How does Sharman, as a key forward match up on May?

KPP’s also need to be able to hold position

So go man on man to command the ball drop zone including when it is multiples against one

My take anyway
We might not play Melbourne for a long time; the way to deal with May is to run him away from the ball; and next year AC is going to be a big impressive unit. Won't come down to Coops having to do all the heavy lifting.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2023 11:42am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 31 Jul 2023 2:04pm He’s earned his spot in the team.

When Byrnes (I think) coming thru the centre hit him lace out on a lead I nearly creamed myself, when do we ever see that?!

Better than Caminiti at this stage.

They practice lowering the eyes going into forward 50 a lot at training..nice to see it in a game, thought a couple of bullets from Byrnes was terrific!
Yeah really good call
I’m no Byrnes fan but his foot skills were excellent
Sone great longer hit up kicks
Great to see that coke through in a match
Good coaching
Good player’s execution

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 02 Aug 2023 5:11pm He is not a quick, agile, or as good at ground level to compare the Gunston

But size wise - yes it’s a good comparison

Playing style he’s more like Todd Marshall from Port

He is very much a mark-kick player

If he was 196-200 he’d be a gun. At 193 and light - he either needs to get bigger and stronger or better at ground level!
Gunston or lead up Fritz for mine
Has a future clearly
Only a moron playing games would argue otherwise

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

MId size leading-marking forward. We haven't had many of them in history. I think guys like Gunston (already mentioned), Fritsch, etc.

Higgins tries to be one at times but is often beaten in the air.

StPeter
Club Player

Interesting that he is selected in the side this week against Carlton with all the following medium to tall forwards (who have played that position this year) available-

Caminiti, Phillipou, Cordy, Owens,( all selected) and arguably King, Membrey, Holmes( returning from injury)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Fri 04 Aug 2023 12:43am Interesting that he is selected in the side this week against Carlton with all the following medium to tall forwards (who have played that position this year) available-

Caminiti, Phillipou, Cordy, Owens,( all selected) and arguably King, Membrey, Holmes( returning from injury)

Holmes??? Is that you nickname for Hayes?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 03 Aug 2023 7:13am MId size leading-marking forward. We haven't had many of them in history. I think guys like Gunston (already mentioned), Fritsch, etc.

Higgins tries to be one at times but is often beaten in the air.
You have to be agile to be a mid size leading forward, the turning circle of the titanic doesn’t help your cause.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Titanic is a silly comparison.
We don't play 4000ft below sea level.
Not sure the Titanic ever turned in a circle above water. If it did and there is a record of what it was, I'd back Coops to beat it.

King Max
Club Player

The Pies would kill for a Cooper Sharman.

NickyDal
Club Player

Sharman will be a 250 game player for the Saints!!!!!

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: