Do we need to extend Lyons contract now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we need to extend Lyons contract now?

B.M wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 7:48pm Teflon

Why is was it Ratten’s fault when we lost in his reign

But it’s the players fault now?!

It’s a clear contradiction

I don’t get it

Btw
The so called leader has finished on the podium in the B&F 6 times and won 2 has finished top 3 in the Brownlow twice
All Australian twice
Averages 7+ tackles probably the best two way mid since Lenny Hayes at StK
To suggest he is no good is embarrassing

He had a poor game - he’s had 100 good ones
Outline to me how the weekends loss was Lyons fault??
Let’s hear what a senior AFL coa h failed to do that cost us the game from the cheap seats at Marty’s????
Put your obvious bias and disdain aside and stop being petulant you look silly…not the first time either 😂
Look forward to your reasons how Lyon cost us the game in the weekend….😂

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 8:39pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 7:51pm

I don’t get it

Btw
The so called leader has finished on the podium in the B&F 6 times and won 2 has finished top 3 in the Brownlow twice
All Australian twice

I'm sensing the response will be similar the one you'd expect from a Christian when asked why God allows evil and horrible things to happen in the world...

"because God works in mysterious ways"
Is that the line you’ve been using to explain Sherman’s great season so far?
The lord does work in mysterious ways…
Coops to be extended in 2024 - you might pay that debt then???
yeah nah, watch that big hug Sharman gives to an opponent in a very intimate way and hoped the statisticians would put it down as a tackle makes me think he's played his last game.

A hug is a hug, unfortunately the AFL don't keep stats on hugs.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I get the impression he doesnt want to coach any longer than his current contract. Plus Im thinking he is keen to transition the job to one of his assistants. Hopefully he hands over as a grand final winning coach.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Tue 08 Aug 2023 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 12:14pm I was surprised that he didn't get 5 from the get go. However, I think if he wanted 5 he would have got 5. So I think there was some agreement from Ross on the 4.

Don't know if we should extend, but if possible they should remove the 6 month notice clause required by the AFL. That would show a commitment to 4 years and stability.

I think Lyon took the 4 year deal, because he feels he can get it done in 4 years. He wants a Premiership almost as bad as we long suffering supporters do. Don't believe his spin at the time about not knowing the List excepting that they could run. Once he considered the job, he would've studied our List and known what he was getting into.

We don't need a rebuild, we need to build a good midfield. Owens, Phillipou and Windhager will end up there, they need games and preseasons. Max King is still nowhere near his peak. We've got an exciting batch of kids. Its not that bad, we're not that far away.
Good post
Yep rebuild has been avoided way too long
I’d give Lyon 5 think he’ll need the extra year or 2
It’s a mess let’s be honest
Crappy older senior top end
Mid list that either have t lived up to potential or been injured
Bottom end kids that look good
I think Gags , Leathers and Ratten have a bit to answer for tbh… top ups **** me

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 8:43pm I get the impression he doesnt want to coach any longer than his current contract. Plus Im thinking he is keen to transition the job to one of his assistants. Hopefully he hands over as a grand final winning coach.
Yeah there is a bit of that
He might not be there to finish it off but I think he’s be happy to see an assistant take the reigns
Either way he’ll need time to set us up

“Yeah….nah””
SaintWiki
Club Player

There is no indication that the club would look at his contract now and also no reason to act anyway. He has three years to provide positive changes but some supporters don't seem to understand the position and think themselves as vigilante lynchers after every loss in his first year. It's just knee-jerk hot air and makes no sense at all.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 8:43pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 8:39pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 7:51pm

I don’t get it

Btw
All Australian twice

I'm sensing the response will be similar the one you'd expect from a Christian when asked why God allows evil and horrible things to happen in the world...

"because God works in mysterious ways"
Is that the line you’ve been using to explain Sherman’s great season so far?
The lord does work in mysterious ways…
Coops to be extended in 2024 - you might pay that debt then???
yeah nah, watch that big hug Sharman gives to an opponent in a very intimate way and hoped the statisticians would put it down as a tackle makes me think he's played his last game.

A hug is a hug, unfortunately the AFL don't keep stats on hugs.
You gonna be there to hug when he signs that extension??
You might end up in a foetal position hugging yourself ..🤣

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 8:45pm There is no indication that the club would look at his contract now and also no reason to act anyway. He has three years to provide positive changes but some supporters don't seem to understand the position and think themselves as vigilante lynchers after every loss in his first year. It's just knee-jerk hot air and makes no sense at all.
Yeah I agree
It’s kinda weird the hate
I think he just rubs sone the wrong way
That real core woke St Kikda brigade who just love the beige Richo/Ratten years ….
Anyhoo Lyons a change agent we need change so let’s hoo he gets the tube to deliver

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saint2 wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 7:38pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 2:24pm
samoht wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 12:10pm Still, Crouch and Steele getting zero possessions in the last quarter.
And why was Owens moved out of the centre when he was doing well?

We have more depth now with Owens, NWM and Windhager maturing - and even with Byrnes benefitting from another pre-season.
Our injury list is shrinking.

Stocker has also done well, but RL doesn't like him?

We definitely have more depth than last year, and we're better placed injury-wise.

This "turd of a list" has "more polish" than last year.

We should win the next two games at Marvel - hopefully that's what happens.
So again ….
Crouch and Steele get zero touches and it’s coaching fault??
You think the coach instructed them not to touch the ball last qtr?
Owens (who’d been ok but not match winner) is your answer ??
How many games has Membrey and King played in sane side this year compared to last year …while you’re telling us how good our injuries have been??
DMac ?
Jones ??
Actually throw in Howard now??
I think you’re looking for excuses and avoiding real issues
It's about how the players are being used, but some of it is down to players too
I can respect that but think Crouch and Steele
Midfielders
Played as midfielders
Can’t see their use excusing them from 0 touches in last qtr
They just need to own that

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

RTB can take me for the ride.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda​

Under the watch of Stephen Silvagni, the Saints could be ready to make moves and be more aggressive as Ross Lyon also prepares for his first trade window back at Moorabbin. Silvagni has missed out on luring Tom De Koning to Linton Street but is said to have another Blues player Paddy Dow potentially in his sights. The Saints also missed out on Port Adelaide backman Miles Bergman and are also seen to be among the pack chasing Ben King ahead of the final year of his deal. Fremantle forward Liam Henry has been tied with the Saints as he weighs up his future in WA. St Kilda have several of their own senior players still without a deal for next year, including free agent Jade Gresham.

“Yeah….nah””
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 8:43pm I get the impression he doesnt want to coach any longer than his current contract. Plus Im thinking he is keen to transition the job to one of his assistants. Hopefully he hands over as a grand final winning coach.
I can't see that, he wants a Premiership too bad. If we're close in 3 or 4 years, I can't see him walking away.

Roos did that at Melbourne (and I think they would have got there quicker if he'd stayed). The difference is, Roos had already won one.

SaintWiki
Club Player

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 11:56am
I can't see that, he wants a Premiership too bad. If we're close in 3 or 4 years, I can't see him walking away.

Roos did that at Melbourne (and I think they would have got there quicker if he'd stayed). The difference is, Roos had already won one.
Yeah RL must be absolutely desperate to get a Premiership under his belt and no matter what his haters and fair-weather supporters say he won't be taking his eyes off that challenge. He is keeping his eyes on his goal (and ours) and the club leadership will be well aware of that and what it takes.

Although he hasn't achieved everything we want on game days so far he has achieved quite a lot, including keeping us in the eight in the year so far and he has stuck with game time for the youngsters who will be showing more of their real worth next year. I am expecting us to continue with our smart inclusions in recent times from the trade and draft as well. It's hard on all supporters losing matches, but to keep Carlton, the most in-form team out of the game for a half of footy with his inherited batch of players and the youngsters with 'L' plates is on par for the course regarding a more successful future I reckon.

I have never uttered the term or acronym 'Ross thee Boss' and was skeptical when he got the job, and he will never live down dumping us for cash for me - but I support the football club and understand why they went with him. I decided not to bag him unless he lets us down again and contrary to some bitter supporters apparent belief's that is certainly not yet. Surely everyone deep down realises that we were not going to clean up the competition overnight no matter who got the job.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

2003-6 Grants fault
2007-11 Ross gets credit
2014-19 Richardson fault
2020 - Player credit
2021-22 -Ratten’s fault
2023 - Player fault

I actually don’t get it Teffers?

You can’t blame the coach for performances in one period and blame the players in another!

Either you jump on board my LONG HELD view that players make coaches and win games. Or have the view that coaches are responsible?
If the latter is the case - Ross takes responsibility for s*** performances

He prepares and selects the midfield that you lambast
One of those players is Jack Steele who is a proven star who is a shell of the player that won two AA jumpers

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 1:01pm 2003-6 Grants fault
2007-11 Ross gets credit
2014-19 Richardson fault
2020 - Player credit
2021-22 -Ratten’s fault
2023 - Player fault

I actually don’t get it Teffers?

You can’t blame the coach for performances in one period and blame the players in another!

Either you jump on board my LONG HELD view that players make coaches and win games. Or have the view that coaches are responsible?
If the latter is the case - Ross takes responsibility for s*** performances

He prepares and selects the midfield that you lambast
One of those players is Jack Steele who is a proven star who is a shell of the player that won two AA jumpers
It’s like talking to a 2 year old it really is…
I mean …is your house black n white????
If coach “x” has cattle to work with and gets cattle into big dance said cattle must execute …especially after dominating HT …missing sodas for goals…said cattle shyte the bed ..
If coach “y” has said cattle but fails multiple times to get into big dance/flag winning position (failing to manage injuries where he can) said coach Y has failed
If coach “d” doesn’t have cattle ….but tells Board/club we are “in the window” and after 6-9 years still has **** all youth (apart from last draft/academy luck) said coach is a dead shyte and deserves to be sacked
You see ….circumstances matter

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

That is a pure ramble… trying to justify your inconsistency

I’ll tell you straight

This is a 9-12 list

Guess where we are going to finish?

Last year it was a 9-12 list

Guess where we finished?

Pretty simple - the master coach has made f*** all difference

That’s the fact!

It was the review that misread the tea leaves

We resigned Ratten prematurely

We overrated the list and thought - like the zombie like industry - a new mystical coach would make a difference

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Whoever believes In legendary coaches is myths-taken.

But, re: Recruiters, who we don't talk about enough ... I don't think there are enough superlatives to ascribe to the good ones. They make the difference.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Can’t believe people engaging seriously with an obvious piss-take!
Bloke has found a way to stir this place up and continues doing so.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, I'm prepared to support the current coach and his staff, despite him not being MY choice for the gig. The way I look at it, is that if the club appoint a coach, then we back that decision (short of it becoming a COMPLETE disaster)

I'm still uncertain as to how it is, that any comment containing even the minimal amount of criticism of Ross Lyon, is responded to with such angst (and in some cases, nastiness). In my opinion, it's a darned good job that Ross has a thicker skin, and a better attitude toward criticism, than some posters on this forum. Ross may well be the man to take us to higher performance levels (and the ultimate prize?) I sincerely hope that he does.

I'll repeat (at the risk of being shot down again) my previous view that he is NOT a "Messiah" (I'm not sure he himself would want to be lumped with that description) He is (based on 2023 results) a "hope for better times". With this in mind, I would suggest that a call for extending a FOUR year contract, (after just 20 games of the first year) is just a WEE bit premature.

Others may disagree.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 3:04pm That is a pure ramble… trying to justify your inconsistency

I’ll tell you straight

This is a 9-12 list

Guess where we are going to finish?

Last year it was a 9-12 list

Guess where we finished?

Pretty simple - the master coach has made f*** all difference

That’s the fact!

It was the review that misread the tea leaves

We resigned Ratten prematurely

We overrated the list and thought - like the zombie like industry - a new mystical coach would make a difference
Gee thanks for “telling me straight Rd 21 what this list is”
Nostradamus related ???
Ratten TOLD the Board start 2021 this list was not far off top 4?????
He was sacked cause standards (as Roo said) were becoming a joke
He and Richo told Saints Board what they needed to hear to keep their job
Lyon won’t
THATS probably the biggest difference

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 5:01pm Whoever believes In legendary coaches is myths-taken.

But, re: Recruiters, who we don't talk about enough ... I don't think there are enough superlatives to ascribe to the good ones. They make the difference.
Here we go again
Mate you’re like a broken record
We all know that
Time for a new tune??
Don’t need coaches in your world…all the sane…ask Buckley and McRae…,righto..,🤔

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 5:59pm Can’t believe people engaging seriously with an obvious piss-take!
Bloke has found a way to stir this place up and continues doing so.
Spot on!
Jog on people!
I still think an extension warranted

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 6:23pm For what it's worth, I'm prepared to support the current coach and his staff, despite him not being MY choice for the gig. The way I look at it, is that if the club appoint a coach, then we back that decision (short of it becoming a COMPLETE disaster)

I'm still uncertain as to how it is, that any comment containing even the minimal amount of criticism of Ross Lyon, is responded to with such angst (and in some cases, nastiness). In my opinion, it's a darned good job that Ross has a thicker skin, and a better attitude toward criticism, than some posters on this forum. Ross may well be the man to take us to higher performance levels (and the ultimate prize?) I sincerely hope that he does.

I'll repeat (at the risk of being shot down again) my previous view that he is NOT a "Messiah" (I'm not sure he himself would want to be lumped with that description) He is (based on 2023 results) a "hope for better times". With this in mind, I would suggest that a call for extending a FOUR year contract, (after just 20 games of the first year) is just a WEE bit premature.

Others may disagree.
Respectfully, what about the nonsense spewed out purely cause people dislike the bloke????
No mention???
Great to be balanced though right ???
Clubs backed him I’m ok with that
If he fails, he goes
But the constant “I hate him he cost us 09” cr@p is juvenile
Criticise away - but te us all where/how he’s failing and what you’d do to correct it??

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 6:45pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 6:23pm For what it's worth, I'm prepared to support the current coach and his staff, despite him not being MY choice for the gig. The way I look at it, is that if the club appoint a coach, then we back that decision (short of it becoming a COMPLETE disaster)

Others may disagree.
Respectfully, what about the nonsense spewed out purely cause people dislike the bloke????
No mention???
Great to be balanced though right ???
Clubs backed him I’m ok with that
If he fails, he goes
But the constant “I hate him he cost us 09” cr@p is juvenile
Criticise away - but te us all where/how he’s failing and what you’d do to correct it??
Just to clarify my attitude toward Mr Lyon. I do NOT "hate" him.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Thou shalt not take the name of the lord Ross in vain.
Teffers posts to the juveniles 2023, archives.
(but would those juvies listen? Anyway it came to pass......)