Forum costs, maintenance and advertising

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Are you okay with advertising on the forum to assist with costs and maintenance?

Poll ended at Thu 03 Aug 2023 4:54pm

yes
86%
no
14%

Total votes: 51

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forum costs, maintenance and advertising

n1ck wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 10:30am
Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 10:21am
n1ck wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 8:28am
Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 7:22am So I’m guessing you have already had your legal rep contact the AFL to bed down the revenue sharing and commercial agreements?
Do you even know what this means? The fact you even raised this shows me you actually have no idea what you're talking about.

I deal with the AFL every day. I deal with revshares and commercial agreements every day. Neither of which are applicable at any level in this scenario.
So I can start a commercial entity and start making money off the AFLs back and they won’t mind….cool.

And it would seem they don’t mind their employees and contractors making some coin on the side too, even cooler.

What did you think about re running the poll with a question that isn’t loaded towards only supporting the profit making model?
You really are clueless. I am disengaging now.
Vortex would start an argument with a lamp post if he ran into one.

The rest of us fully support what you are trying to achieve.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Lamp post would win in two to three moves.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 11:20am Lamp post would win in two to three moves.
8-) :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 7:22am So I’m guessing you have already had your legal rep contact the AFL to bed down the revenue sharing and commercial agreements?
Do you even know what this means? The fact you even raised this shows me you actually have no idea what you're talking about.

I deal with the AFL every day. I deal with revshares and commercial agreements every day. Neither of which are applicable at any level in this scenario.
So I can start a commercial entity and start making money off the AFLs back and they won’t mind….cool.

And it would seem they don’t mind their employees and contractors making some coin on the side too, even cooler.

What did you think about re running the poll with a question that isn’t loaded towards only supporting the profit making model?
smart move

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight next time then.

Pffft!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 12:11pm

Pffft!
What a stupid, meaningless snip at nick. You brough SFA as usual.

It was you that was shown up as an unintelligent turd, not nick FFS.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Pffft!
You don't actually need n1ck in this argument. I reckon you should just keep going on your own, just don't slip your grip and shoot yourself with that pistol your packing. 🤣🤣🤣

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 12:30pm

Pffft!
You don't actually need n1ck in this argument. I reckon you should just keep going on your own, just don't slip your grip and shoot yourself with that pistol your packing. 🤣🤣🤣
I don't think it's a gun ,but his grip is turning his dick blue.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 12:30pm

Pffft!
Lol. No fear though he uses blanks. 😂

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Definitely not a troll…

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 10:32pm Definitely not a troll…
:lol:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 11:20am Lamp post would win in two to three moves.
mmm

an under estimation swimming in hubris
by the supporters of the lamp post

at least the Knight is exploring territory

not sucking c**k back in rank 'n file
like a prawn on a cucumber sambo

en garde

Bishops in left field

offer me power
offer me money
i don't care

the lamp post iS defeated in 2.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Surely with the low volume of traffic, no image hosting beyond some icons, and software that's 20 years old the ongoing costs would be quite cheap.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 9:15am
mmm

an under estimation swimming in hubris
by the supporters of the lamp post

at least the Knight is exploring territory

not sucking c**k back in rank 'n file
like a prawn on a cucumber sambo

en garde

Bishops in left field

offer me power
offer me money
i don't care

the lamp post iS defeated in 2.
V to lamppost base, bruises shin, applies vinegar and one of several brown paper PhD certificates kept in backpack for just such an event
Stray dog sniffs, pees on vinegar.
(no sucking was used in this tableau, no animals hurt)

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 9:56am Surely with the low volume of traffic, no image hosting beyond some icons, and software that's 20 years old the ongoing costs would be quite cheap.
I think (im not an expert in server tech or outaded forum tech!) that the site is quite resource heavy for what you've described - tech has advanced so much since this site was built that this infrastucture and setup is incredibly inefficient for what it is.

When referring to traffic I think it's key to point out the context. The regular community is small. The amount of regular posters is even smaller. But the site generates around 250k page views/loads per month (and I dont think this includes tapatalk/app data which im still trying to locate) throughout the season.

Is it small compared to BigFooty? Yes. Is it small compared to mainstream footy sites? Yes. Is it small compared to 95% of sites on the web? No.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 10:55am
Otiman wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 9:56am Surely with the low volume of traffic, no image hosting beyond some icons, and software that's 20 years old the ongoing costs would be quite cheap.
I think (im not an expert in server tech or outaded forum tech!) that the site is quite resource heavy for what you've described - tech has advanced so much since this site was built that this infrastucture and setup is incredibly inefficient for what it is.

When referring to traffic I think it's key to point out the context. The regular community is small. The amount of regular posters is even smaller. But the site generates around 250k page views/loads per month (and I dont think this includes tapatalk/app data which im still trying to locate) throughout the season.

Is it small compared to BigFooty? Yes. Is it small compared to mainstream footy sites? Yes. Is it small compared to 95% of sites on the web? No.
And so how do you increase contributing members?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 2:10pm And so how do you increase contributing members?
Asked and answered.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I happily(ignorantly) know absolutely nothing about these matters, but I do know that value is in obsolescence if you look for it.

I travel on an old country rail line to work on Friday's that hasn't had a penny spent on in since the 1970s. It's costs must be minimal, but the owners have a mission, to condition the users to prospect that closure is imminent. Local pollies rally to keep it running tho their luck will run out. We are one flood or landslide away from closure. (perfect excuse to close it - repair costs)

If that analogy works here, we have a footy forum. Forums, like all regional railways, probably lose money in the age of social media, which has left them behind, even if they are invested in? Does Big Footy make money?

I think the question is, do we want to develop and upgrade? Or do we want to limp along on subsidies and good will? And that flood or landslide could be a technical upgrade required after a crash.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 2:10pm

It might help if we could get rid of serial trolls/pests

asiu
Saintsational Legend

but

but

but

i like being a pest

it's my very nature :)

Save the Pests .... think of the children please

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 4:02pm but

but

but

i like being a pest

it's my very nature :)

Save the Pests .... think of the children please
Pfft your an amateur :wink:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

are u still doing sessions on the velvet lounge
counsellor ?

will it help
(besides restocking your beer fridge)

so many questions

so few sparring partners

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The fridge remains high priority but the couch is always available for those in need.

Although my success rate has been high with those that have availed themselves to the transcendental velvet davenport
i have failed miserably with one particular client ;)
as far as sparring partners
build it and they will come.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 2:45pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 2:10pm

It might help if we could get rid of serial trolls/pests
That could work, and maybe we could get rid of all the humourless, intolerant cranky old farts also and see if that helps bring in a few more members under the age of 70.

I love it when we come together in these thinktanks.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

get some of the old pests back ?

they were probably old then
so
they're basically older now

what is the target audience
besides well trained advertisement watchers

is that what 'all ages' ... means
Last edited by asiu on Fri 11 Aug 2023 7:13pm, edited 1 time in total.