So are we better than last year ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint2
Club Player

Re: So are we better than last year ?

If we end up playing finals, then yes a better season than last year, we are playing more consistent footy and improved in a lot of areas no doubt, but otherwise if we don't make the finals, then we end up in a pack of ten clubs all in the same boat- trying to get it together for the next season to contest finals.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Apparently a complicated question.

:lol:

And for all those nervous about our still making the finals... we're currently $1.02.

Also, if you put all the things that need to happen for us to miss in a multi, it's paying $15.37... maybe not a bad insurance bet.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yes we are.
Sharman is a significant contributor to that. And a few other things of course.
The orchestra is now playing in harmony.

SaintWiki
Club Player

I don't know whether we are better, too many variables, but I feel better about our development and future. I've enjoyed watching games more this year too, however, skill errors for some and goal kicking will have to improve a lot if we start thinking about winning a final or two if we make it.

In the second half of last year it looked like some players were not giving their all - especially the captain's body language at times, and it's still not 100% comparing previous to the last couple of years, but that could be this old buggers memory I suppose.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 10:45am Yes we are.
Sharman is a significant contributor to that. And a few other things of course.
The orchestra is now playing in harmony.
You back on board the Ross train?
Bold.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 11:01am I don't know whether we are better, too many variables, but I feel better about our development and future. I've enjoyed watching games more this year too, however, skill errors for some and goal kicking will have to improve a lot if we start thinking about winning a final or two if we make it.

In the second half of last year it looked like some players were not giving their all - especially the captain's body language at times, and it's still not 100% comparing previous to the last couple of years, but that could be this old buggers memory I suppose.
We are 2 games better already
Almost a lock for finals
Massive kid development
Smashed by injury all year and haven’t left the 8
And you STILL dont know if we are better??
Maybe go watch the Dogs 112 point demo of us last year to get a sense check…

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 10:41am Apparently a complicated question.

:lol:

And for all those nervous about our still making the finals... we're currently $1.02.

Also, if you put all the things that need to happen for us to miss in a multi, it's paying $15.37... maybe not a bad insurance bet.
It might help ease the potential pain next week 😂

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

well I find it odd that some still can't see the improvement.
Is it a case of not wanting to appear to be wrong ?

after watching our boys dismantle the Cats last night in such a manner I am convinced this side has improved a great deal. The skills and match ups were there for all to see (bar the Goal kicking)
whether or not it has anything to do with the coach is up for debate, I think that answer is yes but the title of the thread is a much simpler question.

I for one am enjoying the improvement and opposed to last year I cant get enough of my mighty Saints.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 11:12am
SaintWiki wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 11:01am I don't know whether we are better, too many variables, but I feel better about our development and future. I've enjoyed watching games more this year too, however, skill errors for some and goal kicking will have to improve a lot if we start thinking about winning a final or two if we make it.

Almost a lock for finals
Massive kid development
Love your enthusiasm and I have always supported RL, especially after not seeing any other obvious replacements for Ratts at the time of the announcement of getting the job. It's great to see how things have developed so far, but I hesitate to allow myself some of the excitement demonstrated by many others yet. Round 23 demonstrated that the pussies are too old and tired to meet with our speed and enthusiasm and we'll get a better picture of where we really are next week. ie: Can we have the composure to kick goals instead of points when in such a super speedy head space? ... and Can we beat the teams who have many players who can kick enough fast, accurate and low balls to a target, yet?

Have a laugh at my expense if you want.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Simple answer to OP question is yes.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 12:45pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 11:12am

Almost a lock for finals
Massive kid development
Love your enthusiasm and I have always supported RL, especially after not seeing any other obvious replacements for Ratts at the time of the announcement of getting the job. It's great to see how things have developed so far, but I hesitate to allow myself some of the excitement demonstrated by many others yet. Round 23 demonstrated that the pussies are too old and tired to meet with our speed and enthusiasm and we'll get a better picture of where we really are next week. ie: Can we have the composure to kick goals instead of points when in such a super speedy head space? ... and Can we beat the teams who have many players who can kick enough fast, accurate and low balls to a target, yet?

Have a laugh at my expense if you want.
The question isn’t “are the Cats too old” (who pushed Pies week before..)
The question is: is the side playing now and over the past month ahead of the side last year
I think that’s an emphatic yes
Even with the injuries
Does that mean the dude will beat Lions at home next week - no chance
But I KNOW that last years dude would’ve wilted under the expectation already..
It’s fairly obvious…if you want it to be

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

The basic facts speak for themselves, of course St Kilda is playing better this year than in 2022.

That this is entirely due to Ross Lyon being senior coach is an exaggeration, rather it has been the overall improvement in all of the off-field backroom football operations.

We tend to forget that Geoff Walsh had a very big hand in engineering the vast changes in the backroom, and his role was crucial because the veteran AFL administrator knew exactly what would be required to make St Kilda 'relevant' in the competition.

But there's no doubt in my mind that Ross Lyon's vast experience and proven success at the highest levels has been pivotal in improving the way the players go about their business both on and off the field. He knows what is required for a team to be consistently successful, he doesn't focus on outcomes, he simply indoctrinates his players to follow a process that is formulated between himself and his assistants.

And in following these processes and executing every game plan the players have shown they understand what they have to do to deliver the outcome supporters are so keen to witness.

So in reality the improvement in 2023, compared to 2022 is very much a team effort, the players, the coaches and support staff!

And....this was entirely due to Andrew Bassat and the Board of St Kilda Football Club!!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 4:02pm The basic facts speak for themselves, of course St Kilda is playing better this year than in 2022.

That this is entirely due to Ross Lyon being senior coach is an exaggeration, rather it has been the overall improvement in all of the off-field backroom football operations.

We tend to forget that Geoff Walsh had a very big hand in engineering the vast changes in the backroom, and his role was crucial because the veteran AFL administrator knew exactly what would be required to make St Kilda 'relevant' in the competition.

But there's no doubt in my mind that Ross Lyon's vast experience and proven success at the highest levels has been pivotal in improving the way the players go about their business both on and off the field. He knows what is required for a team to be consistently successful, he doesn't focus on outcomes, he simply indoctrinates his players to follow a process that is formulated between himself and his assistants.

And in following these processes and executing every game plan the players have shown they understand what they have to do to deliver the outcome supporters are so keen to witness.

So in reality the improvement in 2023, compared to 2022 is very much a team effort, the players, the coaches and support staff!

And....this was entirely due to Andrew Bassat and the Board of St Kilda Football Club!!!
Good post.

And the boss has better assistants and more players available at the pointy end of the season

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 10:14am
Scollop wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 6:14am
The Fireman wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 11:13pm Have the ones that reckon the change of coach was a bad decision had a change of heart ?
Not yet. If there's some surprise outcomes in September and we play one of the top 4 and beat them, I'll let you know.

Sydney and Geelong were Grand Finalists. Richmond and Fremantle made finals last year. Did changing coaches at St Kilda affect them as well.

We've beaten these teams this year and so have a lot of other teams. But...did you also realise we beat them last year? I think most people would agree that last year they were all stronger.

It's a bit of a tricky subject. Do you isolate win/loss ratios and forget about other factors?

The point is that it's not as simple as saying Ross Lyon is better than Brett Ratten. I think the club as a whole is doing well. I think Ross is not the only person responsible for us having a relatively good year.

Some people thank God every time they sit down for a meal. Some people don't
Just concede, mate. It's okay to be wrong. Replacing Ratt with Ross was unequivocally the right decision. Poorly handled, but ultimately correct.

It's not even a discussion now. Under Ratts we were capable of getting pumped by 80 points every third week. Successful clubs don't put up with those standards. This year we've been in every game bar one.
Our footy club is in the business of making finals and hopefully winning our next premiership. Let's assess in 3 years time at the end of Lyon's 4 year contract

Maybe I'll change my mind in 2 years time. I'm happy when we win. I'm happy we have a good leader in Ross Lyon, but...

We beat Geelong last year at Marvel didn't we?
They were better and more powerful and less injury prone in 2022 weren't they? Does that mean Ratten is a better coach? I suppose some simpletons would conclude it does

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Well this year we play finals so yes we have improved

Congratulations to RTB his staff and the boys.

Go saints

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Yes, but the jury was still out until a few weeks ago.

You only need to go back to a few of the meltdown threads to see.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 4:59pm Yes, but the jury was still out until a few weeks ago.

You only need to go back to a few of the meltdown threads to see.
If you go through my posts you’ll find I was confident of playing finals and was stating we were a better side for most of the season
Calling out the negativity especially with the toxic troll

The meltdown threads I disagreed with at the time. So as a member of the jury I was out early
I am not big noting , just a bit disappointed with some fellow supporters who didn’t have the faith and the appreciation of what we have
Kudos to posters like Teflon and others who flew the flag

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

22 we finished 10th.

23 We may finish 8th or 6th
We are up 2 or 4 spots.

24 I'll take 2-4 spots up the ladder from this year!

In 23, plenty of people have pointed to the ongoing youth positive development...the fact we have a great coach with amazing new assistants. A fresh vibe, new training standards and a game plan that actually looks like its being implemented ( falls & rises but its getting better). I often couldn't discern who was coaching who and what Ratts plan was...

RTB very cleverly came out of the gates firing a small forward, hi intensity tackling machine, choking the opposition in the mid...ala...his days at Sydney when it was all tackle & stifle. Caught everyone off guard for 4 rounds. Those early wins saved our season.

Pure genius with limited seniors due to injury.

I think under Ratts we'd be 11-14th right now.
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Mon 21 Aug 2023 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctorum
Club Player

One of the main reasons St Kilda is a better team this year than last is that Ross Lyon is an ardent disciple of the late Sir Alex Ferguson, arguably the most successful manager in the English Premier League who famously proclaimed "Attack wins games, defence wins titles".

Tight, strangling, suffocating defence across all lines has been characteristic of Lyon's coaching career, and implementing this philosophy in his team this year has been instrumental in them winning 13 games so far.

Not a single AFL commentator had tipped St Kilda to play finals this year, and to be honest, I thought with the current list that was a reasonable call.

Full focus will soon turn to what the list will look like in 2024 and there is every reason to believe that St Kilda will do even better next year.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Darth Vader
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 1:26pm One of the main reasons St Kilda is a better team this year than last is that Ross Lyon is an ardent disciple of the late Sir Alex Ferguson, arguably the most successful manager in the English Premier League who famously proclaimed "Attack wins games, defence wins titles".

Tight, strangling, suffocating defence across all lines has been characteristic of Lyon's coaching career, and implementing this philosophy in his team this year has been instrumental in them winning 13 games so far.

Not a single AFL commentator had tipped St Kilda to play finals this year, and to be honest, I thought with the current list that was a reasonable call.

Full focus will soon turn to what the list will look like in 2024 and there is every reason to believe that St Kilda will do even better next year.
News to Sir Alex.