The Silence: AFL’s Last Taboo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Silence: AFL’s Last Taboo

SaintPav wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 4:08pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:02pm
Rubyjo wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 11:31am The left are obsessed with sexuality just look what thay teach kids in primary school these days ..
And what do they teach kids in primary school?
Gender is a social construct and you can be whatever sex you feel like.
Is that really what they teach in primary schools? In what grade level are they learning about that?
You have actual proof of that?
It might be touched on at high school...maybe year nine level. But I'd be stunned if that was actually part of the cirriculum at primary school level.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 2:11am Who made the ABC the moral police?
Probably your best post ever
Print it

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Milligan?
I’d prefer a Mulligan
ABC left wing hatchet jobs - thank **** Saints said no thanks
There’ll be a QA episode soon, stacked audience with media watch denigrating anyone who disagrees
Privatise the rubbish - half them wouldn’t get jobs in mainstream media

“Yeah….nah””
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 9:24am
Devilhead wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 11:35pm Maybe some players are very comfortable and very happy not coming out publicly .... happy for their friends and family to know but not whole frigging world and all the hoopla and the pressure to be a gay icon that would come with it
Absolutey spot on. No idea why people think its their right to know other peoples private relationships.
It's not about that at all.

It's about can player x feel comfortable enough to take his boyfriend to the Brownlow or post something together on Instagram.

It doesn't happen and there is a reason. They don't feel comfortable yet.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How about treating individuals as autonomous and unique beings, rather than making assumptions and generalisations about an individual based solely on group membership?

There are within-group variations and individual differences like genetics and personality traits, life experiences, cultural backgrounds that drive attitudes, values, beliefs, and behaviors, leading to different personal choices.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 10:02am Milligan?
I’d prefer a Mulligan
There’ll be a QA episode soon, stacked audience with media watch denigrating anyone who disagrees
Milligan who has form for peddling false sexual assault allegations. Why would you talk to the nasty gossip monger?

The ABC need to become a subscription service and/or run ads. About half the country has no regard for them, yet has to pay for them.

As if the Clubs could talk about the issue, without talking about their employees. Did Milligan expect Clubs to talk to her about their employee's private affairs?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 11:49am
Teflon wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 10:02am Milligan?
I’d prefer a Mulligan
Milligan who has form for peddling false sexual assault allegations. Why would you talk to the nasty gossip monger?

The ABC need to become a subscription service and/or run ads. About half the country has no regard for them, yet has to pay for them.

As if the Clubs could talk about the issue, without talking about their employees. Did Milligan expect Clubs to talk to her about their employee's private affairs?
I am certainly in that half. ABC left wing crazies. You couldn't pay me enough to watch some of their shitthouse shows. Nasty bastards.

I am by no means a royal lover or a republican either for that matter, but the ABC's coverage of that recent coronation was a f****** disgrace.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 3:48am ‘Being gay’ is the label right there….

I know, I know, I hear ya..

Let me say, or rather ask, can you really decide about what you are judgmental about? Can you control it? Are you fully cognizant of it?
I don’t think you are, or any of us are, and we are certainly not in control of how others respond, and how group and social and political dynamics play out. A mob..

I don’t like the OP.

The ‘silence’ accusation….like a dark and dirty secret is ‘lurking’….that is itself like a kid just baying for blood too.. that is the beast in us..looking for a courthouse, to drag the guilty and the victims out into the town square, for us to gaze down upon and judge..

Let it be..

Why all the posturing now?
It is for good reason, right?
Can’t be helped. Fair enough.
We don’t wanna go back to 19 sixty something.

I just think Sexuality is not, or should not be a GPS ‘marking’, nor is it permanent or ‘decided’..that’s what I think..let it fly ..where it flys..

You are judgmental about sexuality, very much so…we all are..and we know the damage..intuitively…?
But society pressures people to ‘decide’ and hence ‘label’..they even push the ‘badge of honour’..
We feel much better if ‘we know’ …who is who…’I don’t mind’ (sub text…as long as they ‘admit it’) are you kidding? Go tell your boss you are bisexual.or your wife…or us here on this forum.
Some one will pop up and say, ‘I already did SG’..and then what?
Are we all free now?
We are briefly soothed…we have an honorable representative of our acceptance? Or theirs? And we feel better if we can point a stick at the devil, who is naturally the person, a protagonist of sorts, of the ‘old establishment’ and their evil lies.
So we feel better , briefly.

Now try it yourself.
What is easier?
Saying that ?
Or
Saying ‘I don’t judge’ .
Again. For good reason, explainable ..but it is not good, in a ‘good way’ if that makes sense. As far as I can see.
Being a basket case of a contrarian doesn’t help me make any case.
For racism , I am equally as difficult and I most and I most definitely am judgmental about race, as I believe we all are..in terrible and automatic ways.
When I see ‘I hate racists’ stickers, I know they mean well, but they seem so ignorant to me.
We won’t live long enough to know a better way..

That’s how I feel about it at this point..progress but fake progress, but progress.
In the pursuit of a change in social or political ideologies, it is impossible to remove consequences Shane. Their will always be consequences.
Acceptance is freedom. It begins with one's self.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Being gay, being black, be white or being Irish can only be relative to the subject of the label. Ideologies aren't real, especially those that are not based in truth and knowledge.
Humans are animals, that form mobs.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The ABC should be abolished because it doesn’t serve the interests of Australians and is no longer fit for purpose. It’s become practically unwatchable over the last ten years.

It’s a cess pool for politicians, talking heads, academics and so called experts and other intellectual wannabes and wankers. Sometimes I just want to watch the idiot box to be entertained and not to be preached to. The ABC should stay in their own lane. If I wanted to be preached to on a daily basis I would go to church.

I always laugh when people make fun of the propaganda of other systems not realising the obvious brainwashing happening in front of their own eyes. It’s becoming like the Soviet Union, except in the USSR everyone knew they were being bullshitted to. Here everyone is completely credulous.

Like fish who can’t see the water.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Maybe, just maybe players haven't felt comfortable "to come out" because there is always a lot of noise about it.
News pieces, articles in papers, threads in forums, Rumours etc.
Who Cares?
Let's just let people live their own lives and butt out.
I couldn't give a toss about any player in the AFL and who they are dating - Male or Female.
What we should care about is football related and that's it.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 5:41pm I've always wondered why an AFL player is yet to come out. There are about 800 AFL players, a number of them must be gay.

I don't believe it has anything to do with social attitudes today and is a bit of a mystery.
I think it's just because it's no-ones business.
Unfortunately, players give up enough of their personal life already when they join the AFL.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Logging off now
Last edited by IluvHarvey on Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Edit - Stupid lagging Internet and submitting four times!
Last edited by IluvHarvey on Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This is the sort of s*** the idiot journos want to report on!
https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ ... 88815caf42

What is newsworthy about this?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:00pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 3:48am ‘...
Sorry
Don't drag this on
It should go to the general forum

But CQ,

I think that is a cool slogan..
"Acceptance is freedom. It begins with one's self."

It is not as offensive as, "Arbeit macht frei" (Work/dedication sets you free") which is what the Nazis put in iron lacing on the gates of Auschwitz, but it has utility.

Telling people to accept themselves is not for them.
It is for us.

There is no freedom.

Society will judge, the mob will judge. You are not free because you 'accept yourself'. We are co-dependent in this society and we need to belong to the flock, in order to eat, sleep, let alone thrive. To be part of that flock, to be accommodated, we will be typecast. best to get in fast and first, before people begin to label you...to 'suspect' you.. The kids in the sandpit are right at now, sorting each other out. The folks in prison same..The more institutionalized, the faster and more brutal I think. Perhaps the arts have the most room to maneuver, but even then they'll come to getcha.

I think we need to do this to survive as a society.

We do it here, right here on Saintsational.

I don't think anyone accepts themselves, ever, period.

The guy who shaves his balding head clean off, looks like he has accepted baldness. It works for 'us' as a gambit. But that doesn't mean he hasn't changed the stakes at the business end. When he goes on Tinder etc.. he knows too well, that no level of 'self-acceptance' will penetrate the brutal reality. He is but a photo, and probably around these parts, just another bald, middle-aged white guy, like you see millions of down at Southland (or whatever it is called. Now he can 'accept' the situation and 'call it a day if he wants and if he can. But that won't slow Propecia and Minoxidil sales down one bit.

I will try to leave this thread in peace..Sorry every one.

Ya know, there was a Howard Stern video I saw on YouTube, that left me so conflicted, I laughed, I was entertained, I was disturbed, disgusted all at once..It is from 2006ish...

on my way out the door, check YouTube 'MrT and Beetlejuice' and tell me (no don't tell me) if you are not conflicted. It has race, class, disability, homophobia, hard drugs, love and it is mashed into a single episode. I think Howard Stern looks like a real prick in it, but I actually think he means well. Wow...OK..

My gosh..thank God it is Friday

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 1:07pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:00pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 3:48am ‘...
Sorry
Don't drag this on
It should go to the general forum

But CQ,

I think that is a cool slogan..
"Acceptance is freedom. It begins with one's self."

It is not as offensive as, "Arbeit macht frei" (Work/dedication sets you free") which is what the Nazis put in iron lacing on the gates of Auschwitz, but it has utility.

Telling people to accept themselves is not for them.
It is for us.

There is no freedom.

Society will judge, the mob will judge. You are not free because you 'accept yourself'. We are co-dependent in this society and we need to belong to the flock, in order to eat, sleep, let alone thrive. To be part of that flock, to be accommodated, we will be typecast. best to get in fast and first, before people begin to label you...to 'suspect' you.. The kids in the sandpit are right at now, sorting each other out. The folks in prison same..The more institutionalized, the faster and more brutal I think. Perhaps the arts have the most room to maneuver, but even then they'll come to getcha.

I think we need to do this to survive as a society.

We do it here, right here on Saintsational.

The guy who shaves his balding head clean off, looks like he has accepted baldness. It works for 'us' as a gambit. But that doesn't mean he hasn't changed the stakes at the business end. When he goes on Tinder etc.. he knows too well, that no level of 'self-acceptance' will penetrate the brutal reality. He is but a photo, and probably around these parts, just another bald, middle-aged white guy, like you see millions of down at Southland (or whatever it is called. Now he can 'accept' the situation and 'call it a day if he wants and if he can. But that won't slow Propecia and Minoxidil sales down one bit.

I will try to leave this thread in peace..Sorry every one.

Ya know, there was a Howard Stern video I saw on YouTube, that left me so conflicted, I laughed, I was entertained, I was disturbed, disgusted all at once..It is from 2006ish...

on my way out the door, check YouTube 'MrT and Beetlejuice' and tell me (no don't tell me) if you are not conflicted. It has race, class, disability, homophobia, hard drugs, love and it is mashed into a single episode. I think Howard Stern looks like a real prick in it, but I actually think he means well. Wow...OK..

My gosh..thank God it is Friday
I stubbed my toe when I was about 10. At the time, it was profound.

I gained a new appreciation for putting my shoes on to play and also, for staying out of mums rock gardens bare-footed. I was going to change my world.

I did it again about a week later. The temptation of a catch and wicket was too much.

Immediately, I was totally amazed, how Id hardened the f*** up, quite remarkably, in just a week.

When mum died, I thought about ripping out the rock garden. But little boys do what little boys do.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:26pm Maybe, just maybe players haven't felt comfortable "to come out" because there is always a lot of noise about it.
News pieces, articles in papers, threads in forums, Rumours etc.
Who Cares?
Let's just let people live their own lives and butt out.
I couldn't give a toss about any player in the AFL and who they are dating - Male or Female.
What we should care about is football related and that's it.
Well said.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 9:41am
asiu wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 6:57pm
What is the fluidity of sex and gender?
The concept of sexual fluidity means that sexuality can change over time and in different situations. ‌For example, you may identify as straight but develop an attraction to someone who is genderqueer. You may or may not act on that attraction.
that just seems like freedom of choice to me
and meeting Life openly in the moment

whats the problem ?
Let’s see how that works out for civilisation… :lol:
well

we are seeing how it works out already
when people seek their 'special needs' in secret

not sure how it could be any worse

the chicks with dicks 'n guys with tits thing
i can't get my head around

but sexual fluidity says more about existing reality
than some utopian/ dystopian sexual future

most , i assume , see man/woman as structurally heterosexual
thus ... 'the' normal

i see the nature of the beast as bi-sexual
.... 'n what follows as choice

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

since the dawn of wisdom

rule #1 has been Know Your Self , ACCEPT Your Self

hello !

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hows your toe now mate ?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 5:00pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 9:41am
asiu wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 6:57pm
What is the fluidity of sex and gender?
The concept of sexual fluidity means that sexuality can change over time and in different situations. ‌For example, you may identify as straight but develop an attraction to someone who is genderqueer. You may or may not act on that attraction.
that just seems like freedom of choice to me
and meeting Life openly in the moment

whats the problem ?
Let’s see how that works out for civilisation… :lol:
well

we are seeing how it works out already
when people seek their 'special needs' in secret

not sure how it could be any worse

the chicks with dicks 'n guys with tits thing
i can't get my head around

but sexual fluidity says more about existing reality
than some utopian/ dystopian sexual future

most , i assume , see man/woman as structurally heterosexual
thus ... 'the' normal

i see the nature of the beast as bi-sexual
.... 'n what follows as choice
Line 6.

Interesting choice of words.

😂👍

asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha ... oh yea

thats a Muriel Moment

anyways ... u know what i meant

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 5:08pm hows your toe now mate ?
Well and truly stubbed. Thanks for asking.

ctqs
Club Player

For all of those asking "why should they have to come out" etc, the real question is why can't they be themselves publicly? Why should they have to hide the one they love? Why should they have to worry about turning up to a function with their partner on their arm? Why can't they post "couples moments" on social media? The reason is because they don't feel like they can without fear of some sort of retribution or backlash. And that is appalling. We need to make changes so they can feel comfortable enough to enjoy the basic human rights we take for granted.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.