Ross Lyon Haters???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon Haters???

Trade time is just around the corner, that’s when we get a glimpse of what Ross’s mindset is with regards to short term versus long term thinking.

He’s a good coach but needs a much better list.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 2:47am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 2:29am
Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 2:15am
The Fireman wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:54am was wondering..if we get to hold up the cup do the haters get to celebrate alongside the supporters ?
Genuine supporters will be supporting the club long after short term and long term employees have departed.

We are all here to support the club and the footy team and the players.

You and I both know many people, including yourself wanted Lethlean to be sacked or to resign in 2018 and 2019 (it's in historical posts)

Does that Mean supporters of the club aren't allowed to question the employees?

Does it mean you can't have doubts about people?
No. It just means you'd be wrong about doubting Lyon and his coaching abilities. He has won the highest % of matches of anyone who has coached St.Kilda for at least a season, your disrespect for that is extraordinary. He is probably our most successfully coach in your lifetime.
Nobody really wants you to miss out out on a flag celebration.
I realise you haven't conceded yet, but that probably says more about you, than it does about real supporters, as you describe them.
What are you on about?

Find a post of mine in the last 6 months where I have said that I believe that Lyon CAN NOT win a flag for us this time around. Or that I want him to fail.

Find a single post from any one who asks questions and has doubts (samoht, B.M, saynta or myself or others) where they don't want Lyon to succeed. I mean I’d understand that you don’t want players questioning him. I get the leadership thing and that buy in and belief in the coach and his decision making is paramount, but surely you don’t think players read the crap on here do you?

As I said. Rubbish thread, designed to bait people.
No one said you couldn't question him.
But if you won't take results into consideration as answers, and you continue a seperate narrative about nothing having changed since last year, then this thread was designed to nail you. Lol

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:54am was wondering..if we get to hold up the cup do the haters get to celebrate alongside the supporters ?
A definite yes to that. As the coach admitted he is just a small cog in a very big wheel.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 11:03am Trade time is just around the corner, that’s when we get a glimpse of what Ross’s mindset is with regards to short term versus long term thinking.

It won't take a lot to upgrade the list, considering the lack of onfield drive in recent years from our over 25 years leadership/high draft picks.
We've had to look to import it, but we have a solid base in Wilkie, Steele Marshall and Ross and encouraging signs from NWM, Mitchito, Windy and Pou.
Crouch Butler Battle and Higgins rate well consistently and just go about their business
The weeding will need to be selective, bail outs and low hanging fruit like Connolly and Highmore.

I also believe there is quality in the draft in the second round prospects. Most junior match winners end up disappointing. The real gold needs a little faith, commitment and good old hard work.

We won't lose run or pressure and our coach can enforce discipline and a game plan.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 9:55am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 2:29am
Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 2:15am
Genuine supporters will be supporting the club long after short term and long term employees have departed.

We are all here to support the club and the footy team and the players.

You and I both know many people, including yourself wanted Lethlean to be sacked or to resign in 2018 and 2019 (it's in historical posts)

Does that Mean supporters of the club aren't allowed to question the employees?

Does it mean you can't have doubts about people?
No. It just means you'd be wrong about doubting Lyon and his coaching abilities. He has won the highest % of matches of anyone who has coached St.Kilda for at least a season, your disrespect for that is extraordinary. He is probably our most successfully coach in your lifetime.
Nobody really wants you to miss out out on a flag celebration.
I realise you haven't conceded yet, but that probably says more about you, than it does about real supporters, as you describe them.
I can not believe Scallops is still arguing…bizarre
Saynta, yes missing few brain cells and just rants at passing cars, but Scallops at least appeared to have sone semblance of intelligence
I guess not
Anyhoo - for the Ross enthusiasts the RTB Fanboy Club will be organising a “Ross appreciation movie night” bring sone nibbles, your favourite fun filled RTB facts and stories and don’t forget to wear your “In Ross We Trust” paraphernalia.
More details to come in our newsletter
Give it a rest for f***'s sake ma'am. He's married. :wink: :wink:

And a bit of advice. There are more appropriate sites for the lovelorn than a site dedicated to football supporters.

Sanctorum
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 11:40am
Vortex wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 11:03am Trade time is just around the corner, that’s when we get a glimpse of what Ross’s mindset is with regards to short term versus long term thinking.

It won't take a lot to upgrade the list, considering the lack of onfield drive in recent years from our over 25 years leadership/high draft picks.
We've had to look to import it, but we have a solid base in Wilkie, Steele Marshall and Ross and encouraging signs from NWM, Mitchito, Windy and Pou.
Crouch Butler Battle and Higgins rate well consistently and just go about their business
The weeding will need to be selective, bail outs and low hanging fruit like Connolly and Highmore.

I also believe there is quality in the draft in the second round prospects. Most junior match winners end up disappointing. The real gold needs a little faith, commitment and good old hard work.

We won't lose run or pressure and our coach can enforce discipline and a game plan.
Did you intentionally leave Max King and Jack Sinclair out CQS???

Mason Wood, Jimmy Webster and Liam Stocker are alright and Bradley Hill isn't too bad either....that makes a total of 18, bring in a couple of guns from other teams (Liam Henry and Passy Dow) and we're almost there.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 2:45pm

Did you intentionally leave Max King and Jack Sinclair out CQS???

Mason Wood, Jimmy Webster and Liam Stocker are alright and Bradley Hill isn't too bad either....that makes a total of 18, bring in a couple of guns from other teams (Liam Henry and Passy Dow) and we're almost there.
I avoided naming Billings, Gresham, Coffield and Clark as disappointing for various reasons. Naming everyone but them would be tedious.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The great unknown in some of the names you mention is what their actual ceiling will be and that won’t be known until the sample size includes some good performances against top four sides around this time of year.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I had oysters for lunch.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Teflon wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 12:39am
markp wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 1:08pm ?

He also took them to their one and only gf appearance (and missed out by 15 points).

Nobody is saying a great coach can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

You're an 'adulator' if you think it better to have a superior coach to an inferior one?

Why do we have to choose between very good coach or very good recruiters... shouldn't we aim for both.
Way way too sensible for this board Mark…almost wasted on the masses excellent post
Samo just bangs the same drum like no one agrees with him..problem is ..everyone knows you need good recruitment…good players ….but you also need a good coach to get the best out if that talent
Lyon has extracted every bit from this list who all agree isn’t too 4
You have to look at the whole picture.

Lyon's also extracted every bit out of the opposition half backs.
Sicily single-handedly won the game for Hawthorn, for instance.

We should criticise our recruiters when they get it wrong, and the coach's game plan, if there's a flaw.

Our coaches have done well overall, and deserve some credit for that, but they have benefited from the recent good recruiting.
You need to take this into account, too.

Our improvement might have more to do with great recent recruiting than great coaching or a mix of both good recent recruiting and reasonably good coaching .
Last edited by samoht on Sat 26 Aug 2023 10:51am, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Of course it's a mix of *everything*.

The coach is the figurehead and face of the club, the coach often takes much more blame than they are given credit, the coach ultimately calls all the game day, gameplan, etc., shots, and has vast input on many levels.

In football codes around the world a superior head coach is highly valued and highly remunerated for good reason.

Kinda bizarre when some people want to mangle observable reality to fit a preconceived thought bubble.

"Coaches are overrated" (?)... no they're not.

And yep, sometimes *even* good coaches have bad days, and the results usually always reflect that.

Ergo and ipso facto coaches matter, a lot.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

But can we call a game plan that concedes big numbers to opposition halfback lines great - on the premise that it hopefully compensates for this by running numbers back?

Why wasn't RL highly valued at Freo - did they see enough at the end?

That's 4 years of bad days.

I think they made up their mind after that.

You need good recruiting above all - coaches come and go - and are all sent packing at the end.

I'm happy that we have Hayes, Harvey and Goddard involved, anyway.

RL will do ... I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. If we succeed by hook or by crook at the end, who cares.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

He was there for 7 years, 180 odd games, their best, longest serving, I'm sure highest paid coach.

But sometimes it's just time... or past time.

Like now it's time to get on the RTB train.

🚂💨
Last edited by markp on Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:05am He was there for 7 years, 180 odd games, their best, longest serving, I'm sure highest paid coach.

Sometimes it's just time... or past time.

🚂💨
I've always been on the RTB train ... Recruiting The Best!!

markp
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:06am
markp wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:05am He was there for 7 years, 180 odd games, their best, longest serving, I'm sure highest paid coach.

Sometimes it's just time... or past time.

🚂💨
I've always been on the RTB train ... Recruiting The Best!!
Very good!

:P

saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 7:45pm I had oysters for lunch.
Yuk....like eating snot.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

And here's a tribute to the unique and respected individual who goes by the username "scollop" ... a great choice.

In the realms of usernames, there's one that shines so bright,
A choice that's truly unique, a beacon of pure light.
It's "Scollop" in its essence, a name that stands alone,
For in its subtle charm, a special grace is shown.

Amidst a sea of usernames, some may jest and tease,
But "Scollop" stands undaunted, a name that aims to please.
It's not just a username; it's a badge of pride, you see,
A testament to individuality, as unique as can be.

In a world of usernames mundane, where many blend and merge,
"Scollop" is a reminder that it's okay to diverge.
For what makes us extraordinary is not just in a name,
But in the kindness and respect we share, in the username game.

So, here's to you, "Scollop," for your choice so bold and true,
A name that's all your own, a symbol of the real you.
Let's celebrate your uniqueness, and put aside the jest,
For "Scollop" is a name that truly stands the test.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

That's awesome! Enjoyed reading that.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Samoht is using Vorts chat bot

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 5:39pm Samoht is using Vorts chat bot
Yep

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What was the point of the last 6 pages?

Rubbish thread

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Why, does he have a monopoly on it?

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Why, does he have a monopoly on it?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Do you need chat bot to say;

Ross Lyon haters... Shove it!!

Coop haters...shove it!!

Oh, but you don't love Lethlean. Oh, but you don't love Lyon. Oh..but you don't love Brad Hill, oh but you think Webster, and Membrey and Byrnes are no good. Oh but you don't rate Howard.

Fancy a bunch of grown men thinking they're going to stop Saints supporters from barracking for their team and wanting success for the club

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 10:57am But can we call a game plan that concedes big numbers to opposition halfback lines great - on the premise that it hopefully compensates for this by running numbers back?

Why wasn't RL highly valued at Freo - did they see enough at the end?

That's 4 years of bad days.

I think they made up their mind after that.

You need good recruiting above all - coaches come and go - and are all sent packing at the end.

I'm happy that we have Hayes, Harvey and Goddard involved, anyway.

RL will do ... I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. If we succeed by hook or by crook at the end, who cares.
What a shyte post
How was the coaching on the return game when we comfortably beat an in form Hawks ??? You forget that …Sicily did **** all???
Honestly everyone knows you need good players …it’s not even worth stating
You’re like a broken record ffs give it a rest

“Yeah….nah””