Bye bye Maynard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bye bye Maynard

Maynard’s not especially a thug.

But he should get time for that. It wasn’t just an attempted block of the kick, which involves jumping up and down on the spot . He propelled himself forward and led with his shoulder, which made direct contact with Brayshaw’s head.

Surely we’ve moved on from the days of Gia’s hit on Kosi. There must be some responsibly placed on players to avoid smashing into the head of opponents.

Should miss the GF, if there’s any justice. The Channel 7 combined effort to get him off is nauseating.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy Ryder says hello.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Can't believe what players were being suspended for at the start of the year compared to what they're being acquitted for now.
This would have been a clear suspension. Took him out, reckless 2-3 weeks.
Last edited by Banger9798 on Fri 08 Sep 2023 7:41am, edited 1 time in total.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
ace
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 9:39pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 9:32pm Looking at a few weeks there.
2 weeks...as in rest until he plays in the preliminary.

Pies in pole position for the flag....
2 matches he misses the prelim and the grannie.
He has duty of care to all opponents, instead he KOed an opponent.
Christian can not defend him just because he plays for his old club Collingwood.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Reckless, high contact, severe impact. 2 weeks min for both.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He can't get rubbed out for that. It was unlucky that he got him high.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 11:06pm If Maynard gets suspended for that the game should become non contact.

If he wanted to clean up Brayshaw he could have ran straight at him.

The fact he jumped showed his intent was to smother.

Very soft if he is rubbed out for that.
What you are arguing is that head injuries are acceptable. That seems against current medical and legal thinking. Probably immoral as well depending on your value system. He wanted to spoil the kick and hurt Brayshaw. He displayed no care for Brayshaw before or after hurting him. If he can't avoid causing major damage he should not be playing.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 11:56pm He can't get rubbed out for that. It was unlucky that he got him high.
He looked at him, turned his shoulder toward him and squared him up beautifully.
He had a number of ways to lessen the force.
From the initial side on view, he appears to actually lean into him.
Superman shoulder, basically.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Fri 08 Sep 2023 8:25am, edited 1 time in total.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Brayshaw: 8 weeks suspension & attend co-worker anti-violence seminar.

Maynard: Awarded AFL Bravery Medal & 52 weeks of intensive counselling support, 25 years of Therapy Dog access & free dental ( his teeth cant stop chattering & will be worn done in weeks)

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Could've braced with his hands to soften contact or leaned his right shoulder away from Brayshaw instead of into him. His hands were initially in position to make contact with Brayshaw's body but instead he lowered the hands and leaned in with the shoulder, collecting Brayshaw in the head. If the AFL is serious about a duty of care then he's gone.

ace
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 9:38pm This will be interesting, what just will Michael Christian do?
If he is smart he will send Maynard to the tribunal thus avoiding having to impose the penalty himself.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Paddy Ryder got suspended for 2 weeks for what ?
Based on that judgement Maynard gets life without the possibility of parole.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He jumped to smother the ball. He didn't intend to run through him. Van Rooyen is gone though. He lifted his elbow.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Maynard will get off, the AFL will accept he's a thug but can't oust him, unless they can get some something on his Viney face plant.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Should not be even charged by MRO

But will

Then will be cleared
Last edited by chook23 on Fri 08 Sep 2023 7:40am, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
King Max
Club Player

Lots of work for biomechanics experts in September.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 12:07am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 11:06pm If Maynard gets suspended for that the game should become non contact.

What you are arguing is that head injuries are acceptable. That seems against current medical and legal thinking. Probably immoral as well depending on your value system. He wanted to spoil the kick and hurt Brayshaw. He displayed no care for Brayshaw before or after hurting him. If he can't avoid causing major damage he should not be playing.
I disagree with your summation of my argument.

I believe that injuries of any nature are an unavoidable consequence of playing a contact sport.

The AFL has significantly changed the rules to reduce the risk and put the duty of care back on the players, and rightly so.

When you have big, strong, fit and fast men running at the ball and contest it is inevitable that serious injuries will occur. If this is not an acceptable risk, take the contact out of the game.

I doubt any of us can really comment on the intent of Maynard and what went through his mind in that very short period of time.

Watching the footage Maynard appears to try and smother/ block the kick by jumping as Brayshaw kicks it. The momentum of Maynard and Brayshaw bring them together where Maynard braces, tucks his shoulder and collects Brayshaw.

If Maynard’s intent was to hurt Brayshaw, my opinion is he would have straight lined him with his shoulder, not jumped to smother the kick.

I don’t care if he gets suspended for 10 weeks, but I don’t think he should get rubbed out for that incident.

If he does get suspended, what is next?
On Saturday Sharman flies for a mark and knees an opponent in the head doing so and gets rubbed out for concussing the player.

Each to their own opinion, but can’t see how he gets suspended here.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

What steps did Maynard take to avoid collision?
Zero
In fact he turns his shoulder towards his opponent so they do hit. He could have rolled off to the left to avoid /minimize contact.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 7:40am

I believe that injuries of any nature are an unavoidable consequence of playing a contact sport.

The AFL has significantly changed the rules to reduce the risk and put the duty of care back on the players, and rightly so.

When you have big, strong, fit and fast men running at the ball and contest it is inevitable that serious injuries will occur. If this is not an acceptable risk, take the contact out of the game.

I doubt any of us can really comment on the intent of Maynard and what went through his mind in that very short period of time.

Watching the footage Maynard appears to try and smother/ block the kick by jumping as Brayshaw kicks it. The momentum of Maynard and Brayshaw bring them together where Maynard braces, tucks his shoulder and collects Brayshaw.

If Maynard’s intent was to hurt Brayshaw, my opinion is he would have straight lined him with his shoulder, not jumped to smother the kick.

I don’t care if he gets suspended for 10 weeks, but I don’t think he should get rubbed out for that incident.

On Saturday Sharman flies for a mark and knees an opponent in the head doing so and gets rubbed out for concussing the player.

Agree with all of this.

Bedford had significantly more choice in his actions than Maynard.

Also those who are saying Maynard didn't care about the outcome- listen to him post match and do a little research- they are mates.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
takeaway
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 7:40am

Good post, fully agree. If players get weeks for these type of incidents, we may as well change it to non contact, and lose our great game.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Initial intent is irrelevant.

He launched off the ground at full tilt and directly at Brayshaw, then tucked and turned his shoulder into his opponent, who in that moment was utterly helpless... and most significantly knocked the guy clean out.

He could've tried to fend off or reduce impact with his hands, or even to sort of catch and turn (like they do to avoid sling tackles now).

It was very ugly.

If duty of care applies to sliding and taking someone's legs out, or swinging a player in a tackle and them hitting their head, then it has to apply here.

But it likely won't, because the afl is all about expediency.

(Would Brayshaw playing have made an extra 8 point difference to the dees?)

How many would they give Caminiti if he did the same in a h&a game?

Should be at least 2-3 weeks.

Bin Chicken
Club Player

First full game I’ve watched for a couple of years lol. I was bored with the PS4. Had the sound muted naturally.

Game has been softened for awhile now which is why I don’t watch it anymore. Maynard gets a hand to the ball I think - if he fully smothered it and still crashed into Brayshaw then what? Play on? Brayshaw might’ve not got hurt as bad.

Finna
Club Player

Obviously if we were to somehow sneak through to a PF against the pies then it would be good to have him on the sidelines however if he gets suspended for that it is a disgrace. As others have said it may as well be a non contact sport...he was trying to smother and could not possibly do anything while in the air. Touch AFL anyone?

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure if it was a sainter this thread would look very different.

For the integrity of the game, he must not get rubbed out for that.

Maynard poor judgement for sure, but not malicious or with any intent other than to brace himself.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Astonishing that people think it wasn't intentional.

That scenario happens so many times in a match, almost always the defender jumps into the attacker with their hands or they jump past them completely, as Pickett did in the final quarter.

Maynard attempted to smother knowing he was going to follow through with his shoulder, regardless if he smothered the ball or not.

Maynard doesn't accidentally clean blokes up. He's tough, but he walks a fine line, which he clearly crossed. 4 weeks minimum.