It’s a final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: It’s a final

So BM…

Why do you think Billings wasn’t selected?

bakes
Club Player

Take your meds big mart. Calm down.

As saints supporters we should be used to having patience. The club is in this for the long haul and your band-aid solutions would only give a short term sugar hit.

The young kids are the future and there are good lessons to be learnt , even in losing, even in not getting a kick. Philippou is made of tough stuff. Did Goddard deserve to get all these games as a scrawny 18 year old ? Hang in there, the premiership window is 2026-2028, not now.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 9:07pm Caminiti (who may indeed turn into a great player) was predictably all at sea, getting in the way and spoiling his own teammates as he tends to do.
It's funny because although he did do exactly what you say, if those other players weren't in his way he would have clunked all of those marks. Look at the replay. He's are the second pair of hands on all those he went for.

As a matter of fact I thought Pou should have been subbed out and Caminiti stay on but told to watch the leading patterns/marking contests.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 11:32pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 9:07pm Caminiti (who may indeed turn into a great player) was predictably all at sea, getting in the way and spoiling his own teammates as he tends to do.
It's funny because although he did do exactly what you say, if those other players weren't in his way he would have clunked all of those marks. Look at the replay. He's are the second pair of hands on all those he went for.

As a matter of fact I thought Pou should have been subbed out and Caminiti stay on but told to watch the leading patterns/marking contests.
He's just practising spoiling his team mates because next year...look out!!

Are you thinking Anthony is going to turn into Stewy Loewe and clunk all his marks soon? Should we start calling him Buckets even if he's not marking it?

I think he needs to be disciplined and certainly more aware of who is in front of him when he's flying for a mark.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 9:09pm What did they learn?

How not to get a kick in a final?

Typical apologist St Kilda supporter behaviour

Happy to play and lose in an elimination final - and hail it a success!!!!

Fk me

What a losing mentality
So you'd drop Windhager, Owens, Caminiti & Phillipou for.....?

In 2015 the Bulldogs played Adelaide in an elimination final at the MCG. A season where they had a new coach and weren't expected to finish top 10, let alone 6th. They lost that final, but played 11 players with less than three seasons under their belt, including Marcus Bontempelli, Caleb Daniel, Jake Stringer and Jack McCrae. You could say they put developing youth before winning a final.

12 months later they won the flag.

Luke Beveridge highlighted the experience of 2015 as being a key driver for the triumph of 2016.

And it wasn't a fluke, they went on to feature in six more finals and another Grand Final across the next six seasons.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

When I heard the news of the late out I knew we would be up against it, because GWS were in red hot form, and I believed that our improved form was due to getting back some bigger, experienced bodies into the forward line.

I was happy for Caminiti to come in because he has shown a bit this season and offered plenty when we needed it.
I am glad for him to have now had finals experience.
Marshall was probably our best player, and Caminiti helped him out in the ruck so I am okay with that.

The only other thing we could have done was play Cordy up forward and bring Howard in. I would have been okay with that too.
As it stands I don't think we would beat Port in Adelaide this week anyway, so to have had six of our younger up and coming players all in at the G in front of 70,000 in a cut throat final is the best experience money can buy.
For teenagers to have played 110 odd games this season has been great - and we only lost one game by 5 goals or more all season. We've been very consistent.

This is the most games we have won since 2011, so given injuries, by this measure 2023 has been a successful season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I’m all for playing the kids etc, but as the year went on no way Phillipou earned his spot in that team. Tbh, was a disgrace and the kid looked like he was on a different level to everyone else out there. Panicked, unsure, rushed, call it what you will. Just because he’s young and a first rounder doesn’t mean he deserves a game, and that’s the only basis I could see that he got a game. Did it cost us the game? Probably not but it meant with Caminiti ( which couldn’t be helped) we were basically playing 2 short.
Everyone banging on and on saying this kid is going to be a star, they may well be right, but I’ve seen far bigger certainties in my life. He’s going to need to harden up for starters….by a long way. We can only survive with one Brad Hill in the team

Bottom line, he didn’t deserve to play and his performance indicated as much.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 5:54pm I’m all for playing the kids etc, but as the year went on no way Phillipou earned his spot in that team. Tbh, was a disgrace and the kid looked like he was on a different level to everyone else out there. Panicked, unsure, rushed, call it what you will. Just because he’s young and a first rounder doesn’t mean he deserves a game, and that’s the only basis I could see that he got a game. Did it cost us the game? Probably not but it meant with Caminiti ( which couldn’t be helped) we were basically playing 2 short.
Everyone banging on and on saying this kid is going to be a star, they may well be right, but I’ve seen far bigger certainties in my life. He’s going to need to harden up for starters….by a long way. We can only survive with one Brad Hill in the team

Bottom line, he didn’t deserve to play and his performance indicated as much.
Reckon you're being a little harsh there.
I reckon you might have seen a non contest near the centre, but surely need more evidence before stamping a young player's papers?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We were 23 points up with momentum

The ball was kicked out to Phillipou on the Wing/HB

He dropped the mark, the ball bounced up to him, he fumbled it and a giants player won it and ran off, and Phillipou couldn’t go with him - he kicked it long and they goaled

29 points

Game over

If that was Jack Billings, Seb Ross or any other player on the list it’d be a scathing response

Everyone can see Phillipou can play, and will be a player, but at this point in time he is not up to finals footy!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

BTW

Goddard was a number 1 pick and future 300 gamer dual AA, B&F and Captain

Not sure Phillipou has anywhere near the potential of BJ

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 5:54pm We can only survive with one Brad Hill in the team
wish we'd had two last saturday.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 7:35pm We were 23 points up with momentum

He dropped the mark, the ball bounced up to him, he fumbled it and a giants player won it and ran off, and Phillipou couldn’t go with him - he kicked it long and they goaled

29 points

Game over

If that was Jack Billings, Seb Ross or any other player on the list it’d be a scathing response

Everyone can see Phillipou can play, and will be a player, but at this point in time he is not up to finals footy!
You’re hardly in a position to question a failed effort from a player.

You’ve made it very clear that in selective cases it’s ok.

You sat Ross doesn’t need to go for a spoil. I say Pou can fumble. How was Ross’ set shot at a pivotal point in the game? Approaching that with the same straight bat?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 7:38pm
B.M wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 7:35pm We were 23 points up with momentum

29 points

Game over

You’re hardly in a position to question a failed effort from a player.

You’ve made it very clear that in selective cases it’s ok.

You sat Ross doesn’t need to go for a spoil. I say Pou can fumble. How was Ross’ set shot at a pivotal point in the game? Approaching that with the same straight bat?
We? They

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bakes
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 7:38pm [quote=Moods post_id=2030858 time=<a href="tel:1694415287">1694415287</a> user_id=18525]
We can only survive with one Brad Hill in the team
wish we'd had two last saturday.
[/quote]

Yes 100% agree. Brad Hill has been putting his body on the line and even took an intercept mark deep in the backline ! Sinclair may be hearing Hogans footsteps replaying in his mind for a while though .

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Media carrying on like GWS have won the flag.

We must be a really good opposition then.

Morons.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 7:37pm BTW

I hope this forum is simply an outlet for you BM. If your negativity here is a symptom of the rest of your life I feel for you.

Imagine tearing down a kid who just turned 18 because you're frustrated.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

When did he just turn 18?

Last December???

Multiple times I have mentioned he will be a player - absolute potential

You conveniently forgot to mention that

Do I think he’ll be a 300 game Champion possibly? But probably not??? That ok, few are… he will be a good player from what I see.

BJ was the best kid in the country easily in his draft year. Was destined to be a champion.

It’s not negativity with me, it’s reality!

If people want to live in fairyland that’s their thing!

I’ve followed this club for 40 years and have been right with my ‘negativity’ more than wrong!

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Sounds like you've not enjoyed the experience. Why stick with it?

Nothing wrong with demanding better but when it's literally everything about the place- perhaps it is you.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

They highlighted on footy classified tonight some of our weak efforts. Multiple players, including some of the senior players. I’m glad it was done, and they basically said it needs to be reviewed hard and not swept under the carpet.

I’m of the firm belief that the players were distracted with the Membrey thing. I know that sounds like an excuse and it probably is and the good thing is the club isn’t using it as an excuse. But some of those efforts were uncharacteristic and I believe meant that some players didn’t have their minds on the job.

My initial post on young Pou was pretty hard, but the context is he has been picking and choosing all year. I reckon many are watching with blinkers on. He dropped a simple chest mark against Brisbane in the last quarter Rd24 because he was worried about contact. 60 seconds later he took a brilliant courageous mark that set up a goal.

BM is correct in this instance imo. We’re playing finals, the most important thing for this group would have been to actually win a final, not learn from playing in it

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 11:38pm When did he just turn 18?

Last December???

Multiple times I have mentioned he will be a player - absolute potential

You conveniently forgot to mention that

Do I think he’ll be a 300 game Champion possibly? But probably not??? That ok, few are… he will be a good player from what I see.

BJ was the best kid in the country easily in his draft year. Was destined to be a champion.

It’s not negativity with me, it’s reality!

If people want to live in fairyland that’s their thing!
I’ve followed this club for 40 years and have been right with my ‘negativity’ more than wrong!
NOOB I think is what the youngies would call you, some of us had suffered for 20 or more years before your 40!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If you’ve followed the cub 20 years longer than me you have had a premiership in your lifetime

My first four years following StK were wooden spoon seasons

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 9:48am If you’ve followed the cub 20 years longer than me you have had a premiership in your lifetime

My first four years following StK were wooden spoon seasons
I was 3 years old in 1966 so can’t remember a thing about our only Premiership. At the opening of the Danny Frawley Centre my sister and I let Matt Finnis know we are sick and tired of waiting for another.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

If we bang the table and demand better then they will get better, don’t you know that’s how it works

Instead of focusing on Pou and Caminiti, ask these questions

Ross went at 45% efficiency up until midway 3rd quarter
How did Hunter Clark go, was he effective?
Crouch double grabbed everything
Higgins was ineffectual
Butler did not kick a goal
Sinclair was way down
Kings defensive efforts were ordinary

As usual our leadership on ground was terrible

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

He's going be better than BJ.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 2:55pm

He's going be better than BJ.
That remains to be seen. Hope you’re right, but supporters telling each other how good certain players are going to be without any real evidence so far, is fraught with danger.

Nick Cox was GOING to be a superstar after 2021. Jaidyn Stephenson was GOING to be a star after 2018, the list goes on and on. I’ve been reading on here for decades how good our young players are going to be. Most of the time it’s speculation based on one or two great games. Billings a classic example. Some of our kids have shown legitimate star qualities for the first time since 2003, but Pou isn’t one of them. NWM and Owens are