AFL 2023: Nailing trades can turn St Kilda into a contender

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL 2023: Nailing trades can turn St Kilda into a contender

CURLY wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 9:55pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 6:58pm Club recruiters reveal their true intentions to Twomey and co. prior to the National Draft

That's gold CURLY
Are you a complete fool or just trying to look ridiculous.
I know when it's time to stop conversing with a fool

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 9:59pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 9:55pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 6:58pm Club recruiters reveal their true intentions to Twomey and co. prior to the National Draft

That's gold CURLY
Are you a complete fool or just trying to look ridiculous.
I know when it's time to stop conversing with a fool

Your comments are both foolish and wrong but hey you keep going captain hindsight.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 8:02pm Ryder - played ok - although stifled Marshall who was better without Ryder
Maybe, but we were a far better team with Ryder and Marshall both playing.
What might be good for Marshall, might not be good for the team as a whole.

Our forward line suffered this season because we had injuries. It was astonishing to me that we never once thought of bringing in another ruckman (Campbell) and resting Marshall forward. Campbell was an emergency in almost every game. Why didn't it occur once to try him in the team? Even after the game when we realised that Marshall forward was a good option.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 9:46pm Different argument

I didn't say McCartin couldn't play

I said he clearly wasn't the best player in his draft year. How do you rate a player Number 1 when he doesn't even get out on the park consistently to perform in the U18's. Red flags everywhere. McCartin was also injured during the draft combine.

....and to mention Plugger and Buddy Franklin in the same breath....I suppose that's fine, you can have an opinion on that ....even though millions of people will disagree with you.
When building a List, you need good solid bookends. If you need key forwards and there's a quality key forward who is at least undisputed top 3 (which McCartin was) you take the big forward, they don't grow on trees.

If Melbourne had a good genuine key forward they would have dominated this season and would take some stopping to win another Premiership.

GWS took Cadman ahead of Sheezel, Phillipou and Wardlaw. The latter 3 will probably end up better players and I reckon GWS knew that, but they also would have known that you need a quality key forward which Cadman will probably be.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How is it not good for the team having the third best ruckman in the AFL playing ruck?

The Ryder/Marshall thing is a myth

Ryder was a good player - we didn’t need at the time - I know that’s not a popular opinion- but it’s true

Marshall with NO Ryder was dominant 2019 & 2023
Marshall with Ryder was average 2020-2022

The numbers in the ruck are startling

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 4:08pm Ryder was a good player - we didn’t need at the time - I know that’s not a popular opinion- but it’s true
The only thing true about that statement is that it isn't popular.
I'd be confident saying that we won around twice as many games when they boith played compared to when we only had one of them.
This article from May last year put the record at Played:25, won 18 for a 72% strike rate.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 2cf9f0dc6d

So since they came together for the 2020 season up until that article, we played 50 games.
Our overall W/L was 50-27-23 (54%)
With Ryder and Marshall, we were 25-18-7 (72%)
Without one or both, we were 25-9-16 (36%)
That's not opinion. That's fact. It remains true even if you don't believe it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BM - you're creating your own myth.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

You were happier with 2020, when we achieved our best result (covid considered) which Paddy contributed to significantly.

Briggs just schooled Marshall in the bounces, ball ups and throw ins.

I'm guessing the 9 clearances by Marshall looks impressive, but I wonder how a rushed bang on the boot helps forward structure?

Maybe he could win more taps and get less clearances. Take away Marshalls 9 clearances and things don't look good.

Then Marshall can go back and intercept and rack up defensive possessions.

Doesn't make sense.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Don't undersell Marshall's game. If a few other things went right on the day, we'd be celebrating his contribution.

Briggs didn't beat him. Briggs wasn't better than Marshall. The only St Kilda player to get coaches votes on the day was big Ro. How many votes did Briggs get?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1030427/gar ... erfect-10s

Saints58
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 8:20pm Trading picks for players didn't work for us 2018-2022 and it won't work now. The Hill and Crouch trades were short term options.

We need to go to the draft, trade out players for picks, and put out soft cap into player development.

I agree with you about spending more money on player development but when we delist 3 2year players without have at least 3/4 on list time to develop I would say that is not a priority.

Especially when players like Hayes, McKenzie, Allison, jones, coffield, membery, Ross,who are all mature players some have missed 1-2 years of football and they are not delisted our focus has changed to the older group not the kids.

All out of contract we still might see stocker, Heath, Highmore,and Patten as well should also go so we will have almost no young guys left.
Keeler was terrible this year van es was not great or hotten mc clenand as well so unless they improve drastically they are gone next year as well.
That would devastate our list if we lost all the young players that they are looking at.

bakes
Club Player

Don't write off McLennan, I reckon he'll do alright.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 4:20pm All out of contract we still might see stocker, Heath, Highmore,and Patten as well should also go so we will have almost no young guys left.
Keeler was terrible this year van es was not great or hotten mc clenand as well so unless they improve drastically they are gone next year as well.
That would devastate our list if we lost all the young players that they are looking at.
I live by the "hire fast, fire fast" motto.

It needs a keen eye for late developers, but overall is a better use of resources. Mids, wingers, and flankers get chopped quickly. KPP's and Rucks need a bit more assessment as they go to understand if they're going to make it.

of Keeler, Van Es, and Hotton, at least 2 of the 3 will play AFL, and at least one will be in our best 22 by the end of next year.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Fri 15 Sep 2023 9:03am
Saints58 wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 4:20pm All out of contract we still might see stocker, Heath, Highmore,and Patten as well should also go so we will have almost no young guys left.
I live by the "hire fast, fire fast" motto.

It needs a keen eye for late developers, but overall is a better use of resources. Mids, wingers, and flankers get chopped quickly. KPP's and Rucks need a bit more assessment as they go to understand if they're going to make it.

of Keeler, Van Es, and Hotton, at least 2 of the 3 will play AFL, and at least one will be in our best 22 by the end of next year.
I reckon it will be Hotton. The kid does some nice things when I watch Sandy. Wait until he has a full interrupted preseason under RTB and Goddard developing him. Kid will come good.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 11:13pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 9:14pm Don't think I'd have Acres in our side. He epitomises our issues with long bombs to opposition inside 50.
What rubbish. Did you miss the Elimination Final against Sydney?

His size and his running ability and work rate and contested ball winning abilities are made for finals.
Easily one of Carlton's best players and there'd be clubs lining up for his services.
Another outstanding game by Blake

Thanks again Lethers

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 15 Sep 2023 11:46pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 11:13pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 9:14pm Don't think I'd have Acres in our side. He epitomises our issues with long bombs to opposition inside 50.
What rubbish. Did you miss the Elimination Final against Sydney?

His size and his running ability and work rate and contested ball winning abilities are made for finals.
Easily one of Carlton's best players and there'd be clubs lining up for his services.
Another outstanding game by Blake

Thanks again Lethers
What did Lethers do?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 7:47pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 8:20pm Trading picks for players didn't work for us 2018-2022 and it won't work now. The Hill and Crouch trades were short term options.

We need to go to the draft, trade out players for picks, and put out soft cap into player development.
They were good trades, just the timing was premature, they are the types of players we need to bring in somewhere over the next 2 to 3 years when the list is only in need of some spit N polish.

By the time we possibly look like we have a list that can contend they will be just about ready to retire.
I agree with that, the trades/decisions were fair.