Keep Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Keep Coffield

Otiman wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 9:29am
Coffield's asking price is a late first rounder or the first pick of second round.
Good luck with that.

Coffield is uncontracted so the club is not in a very strong bargaining position.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 9:36am
Coffield's asking price is a late first rounder or the first pick of second round.
Good luck with that.

Coffield is uncontracted so the club is not in a very strong bargaining position.
Let him go to the draft then.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 9:50am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 9:36am
Good luck with that.

Let him go to the draft then.
Clubs usually come to a deal.

Hopefully he stays put.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 15 Sep 2023 10:51pm
longtimesaint wrote: Fri 15 Sep 2023 10:04pm I think it would be one we would regret as he has the potential to be a very good intercept marker,
Don’t do another Acres.
Yep

Now let’s ask.

Could he BE another Acres?
He has shown he can play and will potentially get better. However, he's a half back or 3rd big defender, where does he get an opportunity staying with us?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he doesn’t have the endurance for a winger?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saint6709
Club Player

I’m happy to try to trade out

Clark, Gresh, Howard & maybe Billings

Keep Coff

Sanctorum
Club Player

Reported in the papers today that Clark is negotiating a new contract with St Kilda.

While I've had him listed as a possible trade, if the club believes he should stay that's fine.

It's quite possible that under Lyon's tutelage Clark will become a much more effective member of the team, he does have silky skills but if he can add a bit of grunt to his game he could be a gun outside mid because he certainly distribute the ball very well.

Clark and Coffield may yet become the talented duo picked up at 7 and 8 in the 2017 draft!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 6:09pm Reported in the papers today that Clark is negotiating a new contract with St Kilda.

While I've had him listed as a possible trade, if the club believes he should stay that's fine.

It's quite possible that under Lyon's tutelage Clark will become a much more effective member of the team, he does have silky skills but if he can add a bit of grunt to his game he could be a gun outside mid because he certainly distribute the ball very well.

Clark and Coffield may yet become the talented duo picked up at 7 and 8 in the 2017 draft!
I’m a Hunter fan but does he have breakaway speed? IMO his ball handling is kinda ‘silky-slow’ if that makes sense, but not particularly a runner and an outsider needs to be running fast, no?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 6:09pm Clark and Coffield may yet become the talented duo picked up at 7 and 8 in the 2017 draft!
I like your optimism, even if i think it's far fetched. :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Saints58
Club Player

Keep Coffield if we start to either delist our youth and trade some other young guys we will not have a core of players coming through we have plenty of 27+
But not that many 18-23 especially after we delisted Adams,Connolly,Peris,Bytel

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

You make a good point about age distribution. I have no idea what the ideal looks like but I know you can't do much with a list that's too old or too young.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 8:37pm You make a good point about age distribution. I have no idea what the ideal looks like but I know you can't do much with a list that's too old or too young.
It's the goldilocks effect.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sanctorum
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 6:44pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 6:09pm Reported in the papers today that Clark is negotiating a new contract with St Kilda.

I’m a Hunter fan but does he have breakaway speed? IMO his ball handling is kinda ‘silky-slow’ if that makes sense, but not particularly a runner and an outsider needs to be running fast, no?
Hunter has been likened to Nick Dal Santo in the way he glides through packs to deliver the ball to a team mate. Dal wasn't a fast runner either, he relied on his elite skills to have a telling impact.

The thing about Clark is that it has taken him a really long time to shrug off the effects of the severe head knocks he sustained and that's totally undertandable.

If he can avoid getting hit I fully expect him to 'break out' next year. Bear in mind too that he will have plenty of other suitors if the club decides he's no longer a required player.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 12:44pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 6:44pm

Hunter has been likened to Nick Dal Santo in the way he glides through packs to deliver the ball to a team mate. Dal wasn't a fast runner either, he relied on his elite skills to have a telling impact.

The thing about Clark is that it has taken him a really long time to shrug off the effects of the severe head knocks he sustained and that's totally undertandable.

If he can avoid getting hit I fully expect him to 'break out' next year. Bear in mind too that he will have plenty of other suitors if the club decides he's no longer a required player.
Yeah, good point about Dal like…but here is the thing players like that need…absolutely pistol like accurate passing skills - a golden boot. Gotta be like Paul Rieffell, the original pistol Pete, bowling. Not fast, but incredibly precise.

Regarding getting hit..the longer he has the ball, the more he is a sitting duck I would guess, and that would lead him into developing fast hands at the expense of his silk…that’s a conundrum because how he exits the pack makes him special, provided he doesn’t end up squashed like a pancake.

So learning evasiveness would be good..If Banger Harvey can help it would be nice..He also needs to develop a Dusty Martin ‘don’t argue’ arm out.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Keep Hunter Clark.
Keep Nick Coffield.
If we can, try to hold on to Jade Gresham too.

I think we may lose a couple of our veterans now so we need to develop the talent we have - which definitely includes these three.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I agree, we are never going to move forward if we don't develop players like Clark and Coffield. Both are talented and brave footballers.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Who is Coffield going to replace in our team?
As I see it he is competing with Highmore as the backup for our 3rd tall interceptor - Callum Wilkie
He's not competing with Howard, Battle, Cordy as the tall back KP
He's not competing with Sinclair, Nasiah for the role of playmaking HBF
He's not competing with Webster, Stocker, Paton as the lockdown small defender.

His issue, IMHO, is that we discovered Callum Wilkie

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 3:50pm Who is Coffield going to replace in our team?
Turning circles into squares - not "lockdown small defenders".
More importantly, potentially a better player than all three ...IMO

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 4:14pm
Mr Magic wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 3:50pm Who is Coffield going to replace in our team?
Yes, naturally a better player than all 3
BUT
how would he have gone against :-
Charlie Cameron
Toby Greene
Toby Bedford
etc

the type of player that Webster/Stocker/Paton are selected to play on.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'd get rid of him for a draft pick in the 30s

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Killa
Club Player

There are some on here who call for Sinclair, with his skill set, to impact the midfield

How long can we afford for the developing Wanganeen-Milera to be parked on a half back flank?

Hill, remember is 30 so at veteran stage

And there is your progression for Number 7

Dal Santo was left foot dominant - Clark uses either foot proficiently

In regards List demographic, what Gallagher had to address in the initial stages was a lack of mid-aged players with mature bodies hence went to the State Leagues (where Wilkie remains)

These State league players were selected on their training regime - so as leaders on the track for the younger players

Do we want to go down that track again?

I think not - the lessons learned

You keep and build on good players

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Who said this?

“I feel like my best footy in the long run will be in the midfield, but I might just have to bide my time and play in another position to get senior experience until one day hopefully a door opens up or I’m good enough to get a game in there full time.”

Nick Coffield

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-do ... 7b8c401ea9

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 5:18pm Who said this?

“I feel like my best footy in the long run will be in the midfield, but I might just have to bide my time and play in another position to get senior experience until one day hopefully a door opens up or I’m good enough to get a game in there full time.”

Nick Coffield

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-do ... 7b8c401ea9
I understand the point you're trying to make
BUT
he needs to put his hand up to replace someone in the team because he's currently not in it.

His last few years it's been as a 3rd defender (when playing and not injured) and not as a big bodied midfielder.
If that's what he aspires to be then he has to show the coaches that he's worthy of that role in the team.
Would you pick him in that role in place of Owens?
Has he shown he's likely to be better in that role?
What about Phillipou, who's the new kid likely to grow into that role.

I'm struggling to see who he replaces in the current team (barring injuries)
He's not the required size to be a KP (either forward or back)
He's not dynamic enough to be a tall wingman (like Wood)
He's not better than Wilkie at the 3rd tall defender role.
He's never been tried as the third forward (Membrey style) so maybe that's a possibility. Would he be better than Sharman/Caminiti at that role?

So who are you leaving out for him?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

One of those players when they are injured

Finals are won by squads- not teams

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 4:14pm
Absolutely a class above. Also has obvious potential as a mid, wing and forward. Will walk into the starting line up.