A lot to like about GWS.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

A lot to like about GWS.

Hope they beat the pies should be a cracker of a game .

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: A lot to like about GWS.

I hope they beat the Pies as well.

I'd like to see a GWS v Carlton Granny. :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Last Saturday night, having survived the death march through the barriers at Richmond station and the stampede onto the next available train (part of what the AFL calls my "match day experience"), I had enough time tor reflect on what I had witnessed at the 'G. Two much-maligned teams seeking to rub the noses of so-called AFL experts into the mud.

I felt St Kilda had finished the home and away season in a good place and were right to feel confident. However, the Giants had been low flying the last 10 weeks and, if their 20 goal win over Essndon in the last game was true to form, deserved to be favourites. And so it proved. When we fell 42 points behind in the second quarter my head said "head for the train" but my heart said stay. Of course, I stayed.

I commented to Saints supporters around me not to feel disheartened and don't vent their spleens on our players, as they were trying their hearts out. And give some credit to the opposing team, who were so well drilled, exceptionally skilled and possessing uncanny awareness as to a team mate's whereabouts.

As a result the Giants were able to continually able to kick into an uncrowded forward line and, during the second quarter, scored at will.

I mentioned this to a Saints-supporting couple who looked affluent, unlike my effluence, and might be understanding of me. Nah, they were glass half empty types. We were / are rubbish, the players are no good, etc. Mrs Affluent added she doubted Steele's credentials to be Captain and that he didn't show leadership qualities. I pointed out, to her surprise, that a 38-possession final suggested he'd show great leadership under extreme pressure. A great captain's game, no less.

As the train opened its doors at Caulfield, allowing my escape from les miserables, I offered Mr & Mrs Affluent, glass half-empty, shyte-canning Saints supporters, some sage advice to ensure they had a truly miserable weekend.

"The Giants will kill Port Adelaide next week, you watch" I said. It was my Nostradamus moment, for sure, as the match in Brisbane hadn't started.

And so it proved. The Giants systematically tore the Power apart in the first half, just had they done to St Kilda the previous week. Had GWS not been so inaccurate in the second quarter they could have been 10 goals up at half-time. At least our boys displayed some fight to be within striking distance at the break, the Power were drained.

Which raises the question - which Giants players WOULDN'T you like to see in the red, white and black? A difficult call. And I am sure the Magpies will need to be 100% fit and tuned in if they are going to proceed to the Grand Final. And I honestly could not have foreseen that at the bye.

Saint supporter since '62
spert
Saintsational Legend

I used to have an orange 1979 Falcon.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 7:38am I used to have an orange 1979 Falcon.
orange 78 vk kombi campervan. beautiful full wood layout. oh how i miss it.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 1:52am Last Saturday night, having survived the death march through the barriers at Richmond station and the stampede onto the next available train (part of what the AFL calls my "match day experience"), I had enough time tor reflect on what I had witnessed at the 'G. Two much-maligned teams seeking to rub the noses of so-called AFL experts into the mud.

I felt St Kilda had finished the home and away season in a good place and were right to feel confident. However, the Giants had been low flying the last 10 weeks and, if their 20 goal win over Essndon in the last game was true to form, deserved to be favourites. And so it proved. When we fell 42 points behind in the second quarter my head said "head for the train" but my heart said stay. Of course, I stayed.

I commented to Saints supporters around me not to feel disheartened and don't vent their spleens on our players, as they were trying their hearts out. And give some credit to the opposing team, who were so well drilled, exceptionally skilled and possessing uncanny awareness as to a team mate's whereabouts.

As a result the Giants were able to continually able to kick into an uncrowded forward line and, during the second quarter, scored at will.

I mentioned this to a Saints-supporting couple who looked affluent, unlike my effluence, and might be understanding of me. Nah, they were glass half empty types. We were / are rubbish, the players are no good, etc. Mrs Affluent added she doubted Steele's credentials to be Captain and that he didn't show leadership qualities. I pointed out, to her surprise, that a 38-possession final suggested he'd show great leadership under extreme pressure. A great captain's game, no less.

As the train opened its doors at Caulfield, allowing my escape from les miserables, I offered Mr & Mrs Affluent, glass half-empty, shyte-canning Saints supporters, some sage advice to ensure they had a truly miserable weekend.

"The Giants will kill Port Adelaide next week, you watch" I said. It was my Nostradamus moment, for sure, as the match in Brisbane hadn't started.

And so it proved. The Giants systematically tore the Power apart in the first half, just had they done to St Kilda the previous week. Had GWS not been so inaccurate in the second quarter they could have been 10 goals up at half-time. At least our boys displayed some fight to be within striking distance at the break, the Power were drained.

Which raises the question - which Giants players WOULDN'T you like to see in the red, white and black? A difficult call. And I am sure the Magpies will need to be 100% fit and tuned in if they are going to proceed to the Grand Final. And I honestly could not have foreseen that at the bye.

I'd like anyone from their midfield and forward line...and a couple from their backline.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’d be worried if I were Collingwood.

happy feet
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 11:16am I’d be worried if I were Collingwood.
Yep, and a dose of the COLLIWOBBLES is long overdue.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 7:38am I used to have an orange 1979 Falcon.
I used to be mates with their president.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we shouldn’t have appointed Kingsley as coach?!

That’s right he was s*** when he was with StK!!!

It took him to get out of StK to achieve success (Rich/GWS)

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 12:02pm Maybe we shouldn’t have appointed Kingsley as coach?!

Life is a learning experience, maybe he learned from us what not to do.

I wonder if Hinkley will survive.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or maybe he was excellent at StK

We just weren’t a good team?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 12:23pm
B.M wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 12:02pm Maybe we shouldn’t have appointed Kingsley as coach?!

Life is a learning experience, maybe he learned from us what not to do.

I wonder if Hinkley will survive.
Hinkley just re-signed up for 2 more years of failure, wish they had've signed him for 3 years of it.
They'll have more tall player options next year if they get Ratugolea, Zerk-Thatcher and Sweet.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Lennylegs
Club Player

Win this week and the giants will win the flag. I reckon it would be a travesty if their core group of superstars didn't achieve the ultimate. Makes sense if they went all the way.

Form team at the moment. Would back them to beat Brizzy at the G.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if they can overcome Collingwood who will be fresh, but I can't see GWS getting pantsed by any team right now

I think Kingsley deserves to be rated as coach of the year 2023 after earning the right to play in a prelim.

Rohan Connelly picked the GWS coach 6 weeks ago. The fact that they've won 2 finals strengthens the case for Kingsley

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... m-kingsley

Dwaynepipe had Kingsley at number 2 spot before the finals started. He had Lyon at number 1

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/02/ ... contenders

Carro picked Fagan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/coa ... 5dyts.html

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 7:33pm Not sure if they can overcome Collingwood who will be fresh, but I can't see GWS getting pantsed by any team right now

I think Kingsley deserves to be rated as coach of the year 2023 after earning the right to play in a prelim.

Rohan Connelly picked the GWS coach 6 weeks ago. The fact that they've won 2 finals strengthens the case for Kingsley

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... m-kingsley

Dwaynepipe had Kingsley at number 2 spot before the finals started. He had Lyon at number 1

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/02/ ... contenders

Carro picked Fagan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/coa ... 5dyts.html
Caro is a know all know nothing joke.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If they win the flag that will be 2 finals series in a row where we're knocked out by the eventual winner.