Only 1 former Saint left in the finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Re: Only 1 former Saint left in the finals

Otiman wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 9:23am
CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 12:43am Who can tell maybe he’s uncoachable and runs his own race.
This was the point I was going to make. He appears to have licence to roam with Carlton which he'd never get under Ross.

If you go back to our threads on him when he played for us, I'm sure his tackle count would have come up.

I could sum up his career with us in three bullet points.
  • Doesn't tackle
    • Doesn't apply pressure
      • Ineffective long bombs into F50
Don't agree at all with your 3 point summation there.

We had plenty of others on the list that did that, who did not have the physical attributes and upside of Blake.

A badly run club only would have let him go, such as St Kilda and Freo, as BM put it.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Acres had good periods playing for us and Freo, and then his form dropped away. Carlton looked like rubbish a few months back, and now they are looking much better:
although the Swans were not much chop: shouldn't have been in the final, and Melbourne basically blew it last night.

I think the decision to let him go was reasonable at the time it was made. He had not performed partiuclarly well for us for quite some time. There are far more important things to regret from the past two decades: missing Judd, Milne's last minute kicks not going through the big sticks in 2004 against Port and 2010 against Collingwood, driving Luke Ball away while recruiting Andrew Lovett, failing to hang onto Ross Lyon, losing NDS and BJ, trading McEvoy, missing the Bont (but we weren't Robinson Crusoe with that one), recruiting McCartin ahead of Petracca, etc, etc.

The departure of Acres doesn't really rate in that list.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Another player not deemed good enough by us that goes on to have a big impact in a successful team, what a shock we’ve done basically nothing in over a decade!

There was no need to throw him in as steak knives to Freo, a lot even said so at the time. Freo then didn’t want to pay him what he thought he was worth and now he’s playing in a prelim.

It was clear to see he had the talent, and also that we refused to use him correctly. How many ruck contests did he compete in last night?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Acres .....Carlton hero.

wally
Club Player

I think the other disappointing thing is that he was I think pick 18 and Dunstan 17 both no longer at the club these are the ones we need to get at least decent guys who play 150 games+

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 10:40am Another player not deemed good enough by us that goes on to have a big impact in a successful team, what a shock we’ve done basically nothing in over a decade!

There was no need to throw him in as steak knives to Freo, a lot even said so at the time. Freo then didn’t want to pay him what he thought he was worth and now he’s playing in a prelim.

It was clear to see he had the talent, and also that we refused to use him correctly. How many ruck contests did he compete in last night?

Again I will ask how do you know what the deal entailed? Did Arcees ask to get home did he want out did Freo want him and only him?

You don’t know

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 9:23am
CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 12:43am Who can tell maybe he’s uncoachable and runs his own race.
This was the point I was going to make. He appears to have licence to roam with Carlton which he'd never get under Ross.

If you go back to our threads on him when he played for us, I'm sure his tackle count would have come up.

I could sum up his career with us in three bullet points.
  • Doesn't tackle
    • Doesn't apply pressure
      • Ineffective long bombs into F50
Remember at the end of 2018 when the St Kilda captain told his coach that the coach was too focused on negatives?

Is your name Alan Richardson?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 11:54am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 10:40am Another player not deemed good enough by us that goes on to have a big impact in a successful team, what a shock we’ve done basically nothing in over a decade!

Again I will ask how do you know what the deal entailed? Did Arcees ask to get home did he want out did Freo want him and only him?

You don’t know
After ample posturing Bradley Hill has been traded from Fremantle to St Kilda.

The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.

Acres, who was reluctant to the trade, only underwent a medical with Fremantle late on Tuesday night.

We got reamed.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 1:20pm

You don’t know

The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.

Acres, who was reluctant to the trade, only underwent a medical with Fremantle late on Tuesday night.

We got reamed.
It’s obvious that Blake was reluctant to leave Melbourne and happy to come back and continue his career here. He was out of contract and so Fremantle had no option and just got whatever the market was paying at that time. They let him go, comfortable in the knowledge that he came to them as part of that huge bounty they swindled from St Kilda

“Acres, who is uncontracted with the Dockers beyond this season, has already expressed his desire to be traded back to Victoria and has identified the Blues as his preferred destination”

https://www.afl.com.au/news/852039/insi ... oing-again

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Dead set had to get Hill at any cost!

After all he has 66% of the Brownlow votes (having played 2 extra years) of the bloke m(15) many on here would throw on the scrap heap!

In before I get told he was amongst our best last week, how many good/great games in total?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 10:16am Acres had good periods playing for us and Freo, and then his form dropped away. Carlton looked like rubbish a few months back, and now they are looking much better:
although the Swans were not much chop: shouldn't have been in the final, and Melbourne basically blew it last night.

I think the decision to let him go was reasonable at the time it was made. He had not performed partiuclarly well for us for quite some time. There are far more important things to regret from the past two decades: missing Judd, Milne's last minute kicks not going through the big sticks in 2004 against Port and 2010 against Collingwood, driving Luke Ball away while recruiting Andrew Lovett, failing to hang onto Ross Lyon, losing NDS and BJ, trading McEvoy, missing the Bont (but we weren't Robinson Crusoe with that one), recruiting McCartin ahead of Petracca, etc, etc.

The departure of Acres doesn't really rate in that list.
Both the Luke Ball and McEvoy deals hurt even more when we saw them up on the dais collecting their premiership medallions.

Hurt is too soft a word. It was like a dagger!

Let’s hope we don’t get to see Blake up there as well

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 1:05pm Remember at the end of 2018 when the St Kilda captain told his coach that the coach was too focused on negatives?

Is your name Alan Richardson?
Lucky I'm not a coach then.

Acres deficiencies were there for all to see, and instead of exploiting his strengths we let him play to his weaknesses.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Sep 2023 1:20pm

You don’t know

We got reamed.
Nah, we got Plugger Hill.

😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That makes sickening reading.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Good article and well worth the read .

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 4852914464

"Blake Acres was the Blues hero on Friday night but has he always been? Sam Landsberger tracks his career at three clubs, the quirky pranks and his recent success.
Sam Landsberger

AFL: Carlton have defeated Melbourne in the final minute of play, the victory ensures Carlton are through to their first preliminary final since 2000 and now head to the Gabba to take on Brisbane.
AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.

At St Kilda they called Blake Acres “Shakes”.

Last year at Fremantle he was rebadged “Sheriff” after Acres wore a sheriff’s badge to Rory Lobb’s western-themed birthday party and then seized control of the club’s fines system.

That nickname followed Acres to Carlton. But it might need another refresh.

Sam Walsh is becoming Mr September, but Acres is the poster boy for their finals fairytales so far.

The Blues’ social media team posted: “Build the man a statue” about Acres on Friday night after he gifted the club’s army of supporters memories that will last a lifetime.

It is hard to fathom that the man traded for a pick that will fall between 51-54 in this year’s draft has kicked the Blues into a semi-final, and then kicked them into a preliminary final.

The question not even coach Michael Voss could answer is how did Acres find himself alone in the goalsquare with one minute remaining on Friday night?

Well, with a crippled collarbone, Acres attempted to smother Jake Lever’s kick at half-back, and then sprinted forward.

He rolled the dice, and when Carlton pieced together the perfect play he hit the jackpot.

The Weitering- Hollands-Docherty-Acres chain was perhaps the best the MCG has seen since the McGovern-Vardy-Ryan-Sheed link-up that unlocked West Coast’s 2018 premiership.
Blake Acres kicks the matchwinning goal against Melbourne. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Blake Acres kicks the matchwinning goal against Melbourne. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

It was fitting that Eagle Jeremy McGovern’s brother, Mitch, was next to Acres when he dribbled the ball through to steal the semi-final.

McGovern had also pushed forward, which created that two-on-one contest for Docherty to kick to as Acres completed Carlton’s play of the century.

Bayley Fritsch had tracked McGovern and, ironically, the Demons’ leading goalkicker of the past four seasons was the only defender in sight.

Acres, 27, reckons he just sneaked the goal in by about half a metre to the right of the post.

And he opted to play on because he would’ve been “pooing” himself taking a set-shot.

The wingman knows all too well how fickle his third AFL club’s fanbase can be.

Early this season it seemed like every one of his often-skied kicks would fall into the opposition’s lap.

So when the Bluebaggers merely became baggers – and started booing their own recruit – Acres sat down with Carlton’s sports psychologist Dr Tarah Kavanagh to help process the public feedback.

It was a rough initiation for Acres, too.

Remember the round 1 draw against Richmond?

Acres spilled a mark outside half-forward and seconds later the siren sounded with scores level.

Acres was in space that night because he hadn’t rolled the dice.

Opponent Liam Baker sprinted forward at the final centre bounce to try and steal the game for the Tigers, leaving Acres alone, and when Carlton won the clearance the ball came his way.

Did that memory of Baker stick with Acres when he made the bold call to roll forward on Friday night?
Blake Acres celebrates with teammates after Carlton’s semi-final win. Picture: Michael Klein
Blake Acres celebrates with teammates after Carlton’s semi-final win. Picture: Michael Klein

It took Acres several days to get over that round 1 error.

But the next week he stood in the hole and took a defensive mark with Geelong spearhead Tom Hawkins charging his way.

“I thought I owed the ‘Baggers’ family one from last week,” Acres said after that win against the reigning premiers.

“I dropped one that I was pretty disappointed with, so I got to work on it. I really wanted to commit to those marks when I got my chance.”

It’s been a crazy ride for the 27-year-old, who is also well-known inside Melbourne’s camp.

Demons football boss Alan Richardson coached Acres at St Kilda and he was drafted to the Saints with onballer Luke Dunstan, who is now on Melbourne’s list.

Acres was traded cheaply to Carlton and Fremantle.

The Saints, too, thought they had a bargain when they selected him at No.19 in 2013.

“We were very surprised he got through. We anticipated one of the West Australian clubs would select Blake,” Saints footy boss Chris Pelchen said at the time.

“He had an injured shoulder … but we think he’s the prototype of the modern-day AFL footballer.

“Blake is 190cm, he’s got both speed and endurance, and so for us to have a player who can come in and play a number of positions – in a similar mould to Brendon Goddard – complemented our selections nicely.”

The Eagles were always taking Dom Sheed at No.11 that year while Carlton took another West Australian, Patrick Cripps, at pick 13.

Fremantle opted for Victorian Michael Apeness at 17, leaving Acres for the Saints at 19.

It was the famous ‘Buddy’ pick, the pick 19 compensation awarded to Hawthorn for free agent Lance Franklin’s defection to Sydney.

The Hawks then traded Shane Savage, picks 18 (Dunstan) and 19 (Acres) to the Saints for Ben McEvoy and picks 24 (Billy Hartung) and 59 (Jon Ceglar).
Blake Acres had a tough start to his career at the Saints. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith
Blake Acres had a tough start to his career at the Saints. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith

Acres arrived at Seaford as a lanky kid with pimples on his chin and an infatuation for Red Rock Deli honey soy chips.

And it was a slow burn.

In his first two years Dunstan and Jack Billings – the two boys he was drafted with – combined for 60 AFL games.

Acres played just 10, and his first was a 145-point loss to the Hawks that came with a dose of torture from Cyril Rioli.

Nothing came easy for Acres. He seemed to start every game on the bench and then spend five minutes forward, five minutes on the wing and then five minutes at half-back.

Not to mention six-minute quarterly bursts of 110kg opponents crashing into him as the Saints’ second ruckman.

His game time was low and he was never settled into the same spot.

Off the field, the son of a police officer was also the resident prankster.

One time he hid a fish under teammate Ben Paton’s car seat and filled his glovebox with seafood marinara.

The sight of Paton leaving training with his head out the window was prolonged because while the fish was found, it was weeks until he checked the glovebox.

But Acres was also on the receiving end. One time shortly after his housekey went missing his bedroom started to smell.

When cleaning and lighting candles didn’t solve the stench it was sourced to similarly fishy products that had been shoved into a pair of sneakers at the back of his wardrobe.

The kicker was can of mussels emptied into Acres’ shower gel at the same time, and the prime suspect was Dunstan.
Fremantle wasn’t prepared to match Carlton’s contract offer to Acres at the end of 2022. Picture: Michael Klein
Fremantle wasn’t prepared to match Carlton’s contract offer to Acres at the end of 2022. Picture: Michael Klein

Acres was close to tears when Fremantle came calling the day before the trade deadline in 2019.

He never wanted to be traded and was contracted for one more season.

He had always wanted to be a one-club player and was searching for success with the Saints.

But Dockers coach Justin Longmuir told Acres he wanted to lock him on to a wing and his agreement brokered the Bradley Hill trade.

It turned into a win for Acres because he finally had his own position. The sausage dog-lover lapped up pre-season last year as he built a bigger tank.

Acres learned running patterns and defensive systems that the Blues identified from afar last year.

And when the Dockers lowballed Acres to clear cash for Luke Jackson, he was effectively out the door.

“We weren't prepared to go to the length or term of contract offer that Carlton offered,“ Fremantle list boss David Walls said last year.

“We feel we are well positioned to cover his departure on the wing.

“Nathan O‘Driscoll played really well this year and guys like Liam Henry, Michael Frederick, Matthew Johnson and Karl Worner have the capability to step into that role.

“We also have a number of half-backs who we might look at moving up the ground in Jordan Clark, Hayden Young or Heath Chapman.”
Blake Acres’ finals heroics will go down in Blues folklore. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
Blake Acres’ finals heroics will go down in Blues folklore. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

On Friday night Acres clocked 16km, a game-high 25 sprints and a game-high eight repeat sprints.

His secret? Skipping most of the on-field warm-up to save his legs.

He has proven a mighty upgrade and it was appropriate that locker buddies and wing buddies Hollands (No.14), Docherty (No.15) and Acres (No.13) shared the Sherrin in that famous play.

“It’s pretty funny being a journeyman, to be honest. I keep ticking off all the clubs,” Acres told the Herald Sun earlier this year.

But the Saints – who are now searching for speed – and Dockers must be blue they let Blake go.

And wherever Acres’ journey goes he will always have those two special September nights at the ’G."

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Marinara in a mate's glove box.
Can see why he was not valued.
Born for Lygon St.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Frustrating read

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 9:37pm Frustrating read
As that female red headed Qld pollie would say." please explain"?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The following is frustrating for us Saints supporters and also disturbing at the same time...

This is NOT how you help a young guy gain confidence to develop into an AFL footballer
"Nothing came easy for Acres. He seemed to start every game on the bench and then spend five minutes forward, five minutes on the wing and then five minutes at half-back.

Not to mention six-minute quarterly bursts of 110kg opponents crashing into him as the Saints’ second ruckman.

His game time was low and he was never settled into the same spot."

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Frustrating in the fact that he never wanted to leave

We axed him

He is playing in a preliminary final

We absolutely did not need to include him in an already exorbitant price for Brad Hill

It was a shocking trade

saintkid
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 10:38pm Frustrating in the fact that he never wanted to leave

We axed him

He is playing in a preliminary final

We absolutely did not need to include him in an already exorbitant price for Brad Hill

It was a shocking trade
This sure was a shocking trade. Add the incomprehensible Hannebery deal also by the moron who was inexplicably gifted the CEO position and no wonder the club continued in the doldrums.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 17 Sep 2023 10:33pm The following is frustrating for us Saints supporters and also disturbing at the same time...

This is NOT how you help a young guy gain confidence to develop into an AFL footballer
"Nothing came easy for Acres. He seemed to start every game on the bench and then spend five minutes forward, five minutes on the wing and then five minutes at half-back.

His game time was low and he was never settled into the same spot."
And wasn’t this something everyone was screaming at the time??

What an absolute balls-up 🤦‍♂️

SuperDuper
Club Player

If Acres put in that performance for us last week, replacing Caminiti in the side. we would have won.
He was influential in Carlton´s win, he just keeps running up and down the ground

But the worst part is that we are supposedly going to trade in James Jordon, who had a similar psuedo midfielder role as Acres, but was aweful.
He was way off the pace of the game and him playing that role in place of Brayshaw played a role in the demise of the demons

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jordan is BOG average

If he was any good

Melbourne would keep him

Another Dean Kent