Astute trading

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Astute trading

If we ended up with Henry, Dow and Jordan whilst keeping our first round pick and our out of contract players (Gresh, Clark, Coff) I'd be pretty happy with the offseason.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Tue 19 Sep 2023 2:11am If we ended up with Henry, Dow and Jordan whilst keeping our first round pick and our out of contract players (Gresh, Clark, Coff) I'd be pretty happy with the offseason.
If we take Jordan we don’t want to lose Gresh as it will negate our FA compensation (I think?).

Does Dow & Jordan improve us?
I’m not really sure about whether they do or not.

Henry at least has a real weapon being pace and upside.

Dow is a lesser version of Crouch/ Seb style.
Haven’t seen much of Jordan TBH.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Don’t disagree, but I think both dow and Jordan could have unfulfilled upside - they could be better than seb and crouch NOW - we just don’t know

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

An easy win trading strategy is to look at the teams with the best of a certain player type, and pick an upcoming talent who can't break in. Jordon fits that, Dow fits that too.

From our end, I wouldn't be surprised if people are looking at Paton, Highmore and Coffield for this very reason.

damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 11:15pm Someone mentioned Hugo Ralphsmith.

Is he worthy?
Pretty sure his old man played for the Saints not that it's of any significance. I read the same op. The thinking is someone like Ralphsmith's run and carry would free Sinclair to move into the midfield. Maybe that is what the club is thinking. I'm sure the powers that be have their eyes on some and all will be revealed. Personally, I like Elijah Hollands. His style of play is what we need.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Tue 19 Sep 2023 11:07am An easy win trading strategy is to look at the teams with the best of a certain player type, and pick an upcoming talent who can't break in. Jordon fits that, Dow fits that too.

From our end, I wouldn't be surprised if people are looking at Paton, Highmore and Coffield for this very reason.
Exactly!

That’s what I suggested Ralph Smith. GWS are super keen on him, can’t break into the side and he’s got pace to burn. Ross identified we need midfielders and players who can run. Ralphsmith and Henry would be those players. Henry was left out of the side most of the first three years too. Heaps of talent left there.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 7:01pm If we are pinning our improvement on a C Grade midfielder

We are in strife

He’s nowhere near as good as Billings or Jones
He’s younger and he’s not a bad player. Jones especially is injury prone, struggles to consistently find the ball in the midfield, and turns it over constantly. If we delisted Jones would anyone pick him up?

As for Billings, he’s had 10 years or thereabouts in the system. He’s ok, but if we’re talking about players that are taking us to a flag, he’s not it imo. His field kicking is only average as is his kicking for goals. The two things we drafted him for. I notice you mention a lot that his average possession count is high for the position played. I would prefer his possessions actually counted, ie set goals up was creative etc rather than more often than not he kicks down the line.

My opinion, Jordan is worth a crack for a 3rd rounder

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If you can turn over all of your D graders on the list and make them C graders, we are better off.

The challenge lies where you have young talent who can't get in because your C graders who have peaked are 'blocking' their spot and development.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 19 Sep 2023 12:00pm My opinion, Jordan is worth a crack for a 3rd rounder
He is an unrestricted free agent as he was delisted and redrafted at some point.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ?year=2023

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Dow I think improves us as he has the ball winning capabilities very similar to Crouch and Seb but with more pace than either.
He is a bit of a ball butcher though.
He is though a clearance player which is an area where we struggle.
Henry I personally just don't see the value, outside runner with pace but average disposal and doesn't win his own ball.
If we do go after him I hope to be proven wrong.
Jordan as free agent makes some kind of sense as he will cost nothing except that he could water down anything we get if Gresham leaves.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Tue 19 Sep 2023 1:34pm Dow I think improves us as he has the ball winning capabilities very similar to Crouch and Seb but with more pace than either.
He is a bit of a ball butcher though.
He is though a clearance player which is an area where we struggle.
Henry I personally just don't see the value, outside runner with pace but average disposal and doesn't win his own ball.
If we do go after him I hope to be proven wrong.
Jordan as free agent makes some kind of sense as he will cost nothing except that he could water down anything we get if Gresham leaves.
You make good points about Henry but I don’t look at it as fix to our midfield. I look at Henry like I looked at Bobby Hill at Collingwood. Bobby Hill is electric, was left out of the side at GWS for his disposal, got a second chance with Collingwood, Macrae put a rocket up his ass and he’s one of their consistent best players. He left Ginnivan an Anzac Medalist and third highest goal kicker the year before out of their side most of the year.

If we can do that to Henry and make him this crafty winger, half forward who continues our half back turnover play we will be good.

If you watch our game, we are so good at turning it over at half back and then Sinclair, Naz, Hill, Stocker or Wood gets us going out of the back line but as soon as we get it to the forward half we can’t keep the run going. Players like Henry will continue this flow and make us more dashing like Collingwood and GWS. That’s my opinion. I get why people dislike Henry though because of his reel at Freo. But think Henry can’t flourish under a slow ball movement that Longmuir has made. Even Walters look s*** there. Imagine Henry under run and gun Ross the Boss. Kid will flourish I promise.

lewdogs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Sep 2023 2:54pm Goalkicker

FFS
He’s kicked 17 goals in 57 games
Average 11.7 possessions per game in 2023

Premiership player?
There has been many a bog average footballer win an afl premiership and many a champion footballer not!
Definitely not a gauge on individual ability!!!

Wasn’t he delisted at one point by Melbourne?!
He has played a lot as the sub this year so those possession numbers are fairly skewed.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why did he play as a sub?

Oliver missed a big chunk of the year - he was still fringe.

I might be wrong but he seems like a gop who’ll play at Sandringham

A replacement for Bytel

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote: Tue 19 Sep 2023 12:16pm If you can turn over all of your D graders on the list and make them C graders, we are better off.

The challenge lies where you have young talent who can't get in because your C graders who have peaked are 'blocking' their spot and development.
Yes but runs the risk of just making Sandringham a better side.
I'd like to see us go hard at a top 5 pick. Try and draft a gun midfield prospect.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think we have the ball winning midfielders and can win clearances especially with Marshall's 8-10 a game.

The problem is that our first delivery after the clearance is poor due to mids lack of ability to spread to receive in space and deliver without being under pressure. This is partly pace, partly strategy, and partly footy instinct (trained or untrained).

I don't think 'ball butchers' are necessarily players with bad footskills, but those who can't find clear space. Gresham is a good example of this. Hunter Clark an example of the opposite.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]12YGiwni9NZd5-KWuig45hRKGqvkjmlqml5rzjdrX2vQ[/MEDIA]

Can someone open this?

Nice table shows draft picks

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If that's the one from Bigfooty i'll post a snip of it. The one over there is constantly updated.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 20 Sep 2023 8:34am Why did he play as a sub?

Oliver missed a big chunk of the year - he was still fringe.

I might be wrong but he seems like a gop who’ll play at Sandringham

A replacement for Bytel

Whats GOP an acronym for?

I know in the USA its Grand Old Party...in Russia is slang for female genitals...in computing...Well, you get it.

Whats it mean?

Also not sure why we are interested in Jordon, he is avg or below avg in every career stat except disposal effeciency...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Good Ordinary Player

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to know if we all had a similar discussion about Jack Steele when we were looking to get him from GWS.
Fringe midfielder, struggled to get a game in a struggling team.

We need players that can get the ball and use it well.
It's no disgrace being behind Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney, Hunter, etc.
He'll come to us for nothing, would not impact our draft strategy, and would be an upgrade on the players we will delist.

Some here have the mentality that if the player isn't an out and out gun, then they're not worth having. There are very few out and out guns in the AFL. Most are GOPs with some strengths and weaknesses.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

GWS had no less than 20 first round draft picks!

Most of them top ten picks

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

If we end up with Dow, Henry and James…
And the cost is what we’ve given up so far, Gresh, Billings and Jones (for cap relief) and somehow retain Clark/Coff/Paton…
Huge win IMO

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Why not just keep Dan McKenzie. Get him physically right. He can play and has pace to burn.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
nobhead
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 21 Sep 2023 10:17am If we end up with Dow, Henry and James…
And the cost is what we’ve given up so far, Gresh, Billings and Jones (for cap relief) and somehow retain Clark/Coff/Paton…
Huge win IMO
Agree ,what would be even better is if gresham and howard both recieve good offers and we can use those 2 picks along with our frdp to move up the dreft order.something like a a pick inside the top 10 and a second round pick.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just because a player is injured this season or last, does es that mean he will be injured next season?

Robert Harvey was injured 200-2002 playing under half the games and was 31yo

Should we have go rid of him?

Went on to be AA in 2003 won a final of his own boot in 2005 and played until 2008 (37yo)