Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Gresham

1966 wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 2:46pm There is no way we would be handing over the 1st round compo pick for Shiel.
By taking his salary I would think a 2nd round pick at best.

Deal makes sense;
Saints
Get - 1st round pick, Shiel
Lose - Gresham, 2nd round pick and Shiels salary.

Essendon
Get - Gresham. 2nd round pick, salary dump
Lose - Shiel

To be the 1st round compo I think we have to take Shiel rather than him being the target.
That is my understanding of what they proposed , paying Gresh enough to get 1st round compa, freeing up money for McKay for Essendon and gettni g Sheil off the books,

Next step to me is then approaching CG and packaging 12 and 13 for 4 not sure exact points but whatever gives them what they need.
We need top line class not good foot soliders who may end up very good or may not and if you believe the scouts after 15 ( inc 3 academy kids and a FS) it is is very even and a drop off.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Thu 21 Sep 2023 10:54pm Hill played mainly as a High Half Forward this season
To a contrarian, that sounds a lot like a wing.

Saint supporter since '62
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

older saint wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 3:42pm
1966 wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 2:46pm There is no way we would be handing over the 1st round compo pick for Shiel.
By taking his salary I would think a 2nd round pick at best.

Deal makes sense;
Saints
Get - 1st round pick, Shiel
Lose - Gresham, 2nd round pick and Shiels salary.

Essendon
Get - Gresham. 2nd round pick, salary dump
Lose - Shiel

To be the 1st round compo I think we have to take Shiel rather than him being the target.
That is my understanding of what they proposed , paying Gresh enough to get 1st round compa, freeing up money for McKay for Essendon and gettni g Sheil off the books,

Next step to me is then approaching CG and packaging 12 and 13 for 4 not sure exact points but whatever gives them what they need.
We need top line class not good foot soliders who may end up very good or may not and if you believe the scouts after 15 ( inc 3 academy kids and a FS) it is is very even and a drop off.
This!!! Agree x1000

How do we get Henry and Dow though, plus our NGA boy?

Does Coffield go?

I’m thinking we package up 12 and 13 to Gold Coast Pick 4 and a future second rounder (sameish points) and we give Freo the second rounder for Henry. How do we get Dow in though?

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 21 Sep 2023 10:23pm
silverhalo wrote: Wed 20 Sep 2023 10:29pm

I'm really not interested in Dow, not the player we need
Well it sounds like he is coming anyway.
Dow is so much like Billings.
Both taken at number 3 in the draft based on skills but never became the stars they should.
Billings has played comfortably to be in the best 22 but never said to himself someone has to take this game by throat and win it, and that someone is me.
Dow never even gone that far
Prepared to run but always within themselves because they need to have some run left at the end of the game.
Don't want to be spewing in the third because you gave everything you have.
Never just went for the ball and burst through the pack, always playing within themselves.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
silverhalo
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 21 Sep 2023 10:23pm

Well it sounds like he is coming anyway.
Yes it does

ace
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 9:44am
Jacks Back wrote: Thu 21 Sep 2023 10:33pm
Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 21 Sep 2023 6:12pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 20 Sep 2023 10:52am From HS this morning

Moneyball: All the latest player movement, contract and free agency news
The latest on the Bombers attempt at a double free agency strike, North’s options if Todd Goldstein departs, how a Crow can unite with his brother and more trade news here.

Jon Ralph,Jay Clark and Glenn McFarlane

St Kilda will be prepared to match a free agency bid from Essendon on Jade Gresham depending on how much the Bombers are prepared to pay him and the compensation pick it triggers.

The Bombers are circling Gresham as well as North Melbourne stopper Ben McKay as part of a double free agency strike to help lift Essendon for next season.

The Saints are keeping their options open on Gresham to see whether a move to Essendon could deliver the Saints a second-round compensation pick.

Out-of-contract defender Nick Coffield, who finished fifth in the 2020 best and fairest but has not played a senior game over the past two seasons, has also attracted interest from Western Bulldogs.

If Coffield remains at St Kilda it would be on a considerable pay cut given his nightmare run of injuries in recent years.

Saints’ list manager Stephen Silvagni is keen to recalibrate the club’s salary cap following a series of big-money moves to attract mid-tier players and retain some high draft picks.

Gresham, 26, is one of the highest paid players at the Saints but was used in a mainly forward role this season, kicking 21 goals from 23 games.

While McKay is yet to make a decision on his future, the Saints are prepared to wait on Gresham’s future until the free agency window opens on Friday October 6.

The Bombers have about $2 million in salary cap room to spend on talent if they wish including a new key defender to bolster the defence and a ready-made livewire midfield-forward to hit the scoreboard.

Essendon coach Brad Scott is keen to explore the free agency market to add more talent at the Bombers without sacrificing their top draft pick (eight).

The Saints wanted to bank more early draft picks this year, but crashed through to the finals in the first year under Ross Lyon, meaning their first pick is further back than many expected at No. 12.

But that could fall past pick 15 due to the three stand-out academy players Gold Coast will take in the first round, shuffling clubs back in the draft order.

It means the Saints could be open to a Gresham move if it can land the club another top-25 draft choice.

The club is keen to add more top-end young talent to add to the wave of a-grade youngsters including Mattaes Phillipou, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager.

AND

DOW SET TO BE ON THE MOVE

Paddy Dow seems destined to find his way to St Kilda as the Blues’ late-season charge gives them trade collateral to get back into the national draft for the second straight year.

Carlton expects Dow to find his way to St Kilda and Zac Fisher to play at Arden Street next year, with both players out of the side but having benefited from recent surges in form.
Depth replace for Ross? Surely wouldn’t cost to much
Why would you go to another club so you can play VFL there like you already are at your own club?
Ask Luke Dunstan.
Because it pays better than a real job, especially if you have no more skills than a minimum pay shelf stacker.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Sanctorum
Club Player

I'd be very surprised if St Kilda would entertain Essendon receiving anything more than a 3rd rounder (50) for Dylan Shiel, given his age and frigility, he missed at least 30 games (out of 60+) in the past 3 years through injury. That said, if that's all he'll cost I think he would be an upgrade in terms of skill and impact on Seb Ross and get quite a few games.

Comparing Paddy Dow to Jack Billings is far too early in their respective careers. Dow's problem has been that there were some classy mids at Carlton that were considered better, but in the games he's played in the latter part of the season, for example while Sam Walsh was injured, I noticed Dow played quite good football, he's got pace, good disposal skills, tackles well and elusive.

There's not been a single A grade midfielder linked with St Kilda in the forthcoming trade periods so Shiel and Dow would be as good as you'd get, if they do indeed land at Moorabbin. By the same token St Kilda currently have Owens, Windhager and Phillipou who are all likely to play midfield so the cupboard is not bare. Ronnie Byrnes has potential, if he can develop a tank and improve his disposal skills, to become a midfielder as well, he can certainly run!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A first rounder for Dylan Shield? 🤦😆

If were lucky enough to get a first rounder would we be dumb enough to use it on Dylan Shield?

This would be a totally pointless deal and trade.

Ridiculous!!!

Shield is shyte!

Dylan SHIELD?

More like Dylan Vulnerability!

That article is pure fantasy.

😂😂😂😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

My understanding is this (no ITK just intuition and reading between the lines):

Shiel is on a big deal and Essendon need cap space chasing McKay.
We take Shiel for pick 30'ish
Essendon offer Gresham a deal worthy of first round compo.

We get Shiel and Pick ~15, and give up Gresham and our second rounder. And take a bit of a hit to our salary cap.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I agree Shiel is past it. Not worth the asking price.

He only played 12 games this year, with some as a sub in a s*** team.

Don't deal with the druggies Saints, they are as f****** dishonest as they come.

Remember Lovett.

happy feet
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 7:00pm I agree Shiel is past it. Not worth the asking price.

He only played 12 games this year, with some as a sub in a s*** team.

Don't deal with the druggies Saints, they are as f****** dishonest as they come.

Remember Lovett.
I agree with you 100% Saynta, they sold us a complete dud with Andrew Lovett, I remember Hird giving the club a positive reference. Also, don’t forget when Carlisle landed he had the drug issue we had to deal with.

Shiel is past it, find someone else anywhere else except from Essendope.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
realdeal
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 6:11pm My understanding is this (no ITK just intuition and reading between the lines):

Shiel is on a big deal and Essendon need cap space chasing McKay.
We take Shiel for pick 30'ish
Essendon offer Gresham a deal worthy of first round compo.

We get Shiel and Pick ~15, and give up Gresham and our second rounder. And take a bit of a hit to our salary cap.

I like the thinking here however, if we're helping Essendon clear space for McKay by taking a bad contract we need to get better compensation than this...

We shouldnt even be giving them a pick back in return..

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 7:13pm I like the thinking here however, if we're helping Essendon clear space for McKay by taking a bad contract we need to get better compensation than this...

We shouldnt even be giving them a pick back in return..
AFL has to approve it, so it's gotta pass the sniff test.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

There is one thing worrying me. How do we orchestrate a trade involving free agencies, contracts, compensation picks, and draft picks with a club like Essendon with a history of shady deals.

What's the chance we do the trade and they don't follow through with the Gresham offer?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 8:12pm There is one thing worrying me. How do we orchestrate a trade involving free agencies, contracts, compensation picks, and draft picks with a club like Essendon with a history of shady deals.

What's the chance we do the trade and they don't follow through with the Gresham offer?
The whole scenario would have to be approved by the AFL so the question might also be, would the AFL approve them getting Gresham and then reneging on the rest of the deal ?
Another point is they will have offered Gresham x amount of dollars to sign, we would decline to match the offer if it was sizable and then receive a compensation pick that the AFL's secret herbs and spices formula
determined we were entitled to, which is the first part of that shady deal anyway.

If they reneged on the rest of it, then they keep Shiel and we automatically win the deal. :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Shiel still suffering from concussion a la Cochin?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I’d be happy with the trade in getting Shiel. He would add some much needed midfield depth.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I didn’t want Shiled when he left GWS

Hugely overrated player

A big NO for me

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 8:30pm The whole scenario would have to be approved by the AFL so the question might also be, would the AFL approve them getting Gresham and then reneging on the rest of the deal ?
I dunno, trades and free agent contracts seem like totally separate transactions.

SuperDuper
Club Player

People saying no to this deal do not seem to understand it...

If approved by the AFL and agreed by Essendon, then the deal is
St. kilda:
Out: Gresham, Pick 50
In: Pick 13, Shiel

Essendon:
Out: Shiel and his high salary
In: Gresham + pick 50

The pick 13 is created by free agency.

So it looks to me like both teams are big winners in this scenario.
They get Gresham without giving up any draft pick. They free up salary space.

We get pick 13 and Shiel for Gresham and pick 50... We wont get that much for Gresham in any other deal

If Shiel does little, it does not really matter because we get 13 for Gresham anyway...

but who knows, maybe Shiel can give us something for 2 years. As a No risk bonus.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 10:10pm People saying no to this deal do not seem to understand it...

If approved by the AFL and agreed by Essendon, then the deal is
St. kilda:
Out: Gresham, Pick 50
In: Pick 13, Shiel

Essendon:
Out: Shiel and his high salary
In: Gresham + pick 50

The pick 13 is created by free agency.

So it looks to me like both teams are big winners in this scenario.
They get Gresham without giving up any draft pick. They free up salary space.

We get pick 13 and Shiel for Gresham and pick 50... We wont get that much for Gresham in any other deal

If Shiel does little, it does not really matter because we get 13 for Gresham anyway...

but who knows, maybe Shiel can give us something for 2 years. As a No risk bonus.
How does getting a plonker like Shiel help the team, it doesn't, that's another reason why history shows we are losers, incompetence at free agency, trade and draft time.

Shiel has done almost nothing since he's been at the Bummers, leave him there i say.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 9:57pm
bobmurray wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 8:30pm The whole scenario would have to be approved by the AFL so the question might also be, would the AFL approve them getting Gresham and then reneging on the rest of the deal ?
I dunno, trades and free agent contracts seem like totally separate transactions.
Let's see how it pans out, if we indulge in a crap deal like that then we are incompetent.

Shiel, what a joke.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we got

Shiel and a FRDP and gave up our second and Gresham

Giving us 12 & 13

I’d do it - moreso for extra FRDP - if we got 50 games out of Sheil it’d be a bonus

bakes
Club Player

If we got pick 13 and Shiel for Gresham then bloody oath I’d take it .

Then look to trade picks 12 and 13 for pick 7 and get Sanders.

footynut
Club Player

Thanks the shiel dead, then get Chol & pick 4 for our 2nd, 3rd & 4th round picks. Then we can take 3 picks to the bank with 4, 12 & 13. Image that injection of young talent.
Plus Chol and Shiel who could be useful along the journey