Coach of the Year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Coach of the Year

Awarded to Adam Kingsley. Good on him.
It then follows Leon Cameron was a really terrible coach and that Richo, and the Board in his time, couldn't tell a diamond from a stone. As if we didn't already know.
Its clear to unbiased me the best coach for 2023 was Ross, he got everything from the list in finishing in the finals and seriously contending for the top 4. If a little luck had gone our way in a couple of games...Only one flogging.
Anyone can get across the board top shelf talent to perform (except Leon C.)
Ross got a dispirited rag tag group to realise their potential. Only way is up.
Worst coach of the year: I'd nominate Nicks and Voss given the talent they had, Dew a worthy contender.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coach of the Year

Had to be Kingsley.

We beat GWS in the Elimination final and that award goes to Ross.

No awards for worst, just sackings.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

RTB

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

A meaningless award because either Craig McRae or Chris Fagan will have the Jock McHale Medal hanging around their neck come Saturday night. And they won't give a damn about who won the Coach of the Year award, because they will be the one.

Saint supporter since '62
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 9:43am Awarded to Adam Kingsley. Good on him.
It then follows Leon Cameron was a really terrible coach and that Richo, and the Board in his time, couldn't tell a diamond from a stone. As if we didn't already know.
Its clear to unbiased me the best coach for 2023 was Ross, he got everything from the list in finishing in the finals and seriously contending for the top 4. If a little luck had gone our way in a couple of games...Only one flogging.
Worst coach of the year: I'd nominate Nicks and Voss given the talent they had, Dew a worthy contender.
Ross will be first to admit he had an easy draw and also many results from teams around us on the ladder go our way.

Sample size needs to be much bigger me thinks.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Is Fagan a good coach?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
King Max
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 11:27am
Ross will be first to admit he had an easy draw and also many results from teams around us on the ladder go our way.

Played 2 of the top four twice and 3 of the bottom four twice. Maybe that accounts for 1 extra win
Played 3 interstate finalists away from home and won two of them.

And those results from teams around us that went our way?
We beat Giants, Swans, Bulldogs, Bombers, Cats and Tigers. If you reverse all those results, we certainly don't make finals.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 12:34pm

Played 2 of the top four twice and 3 of the bottom four twice. Maybe that accounts for 1 extra win
Played 3 interstate finalists away from home and won two of them.

And those results from teams around us that went our way?
We beat Giants, Swans, Bulldogs, Bombers, Cats and Tigers. If you reverse all those results, we certainly don't make finals.
Yeah won’t be as easy next year as believe

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Kingsley must’ve been crap when he was at StK

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Coaches aren’t necessary.

We should ask the AFL if we can use the soft cap to employ a captain coach and employ RTB as the senior assistant.

We all know coaches are way overrated.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 11:56am Is Fagan a good coach?
Brisbane looked nicely tuned both times they beat us. Probably not luck. So yes.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ross will be the first to admit having King Membrey Hayes for more than a handful of games would have been beneficial. Having access to Coff Billings Jones McKenzie would have been nice to.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 1:45pm

Ross will be the first to admit having King Membrey Hayes for more than a handful of games would have been beneficial. Having access to Coff Billings Jones McKenzie would have been nice to.
Yeah those guys would have been handy for sure but I recon his plans for next season and beyond don’t rely too heavily on most of those you mention, probably King and Hayes and possibly Coff the only players likely to still be in the list in 2 or so years.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 2:01pm

Yeah those guys would have been handy for sure but I recon his plans for next season and beyond don’t rely too heavily on most of those you mention, probably King and Hayes and possibly Coff the only players likely to still be in the list in 2 or so years.

I'm sure he would have loved access to his best two forwards and nearly a third of his list this season.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 2:09pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 2:01pm

I'm sure he would have loved access to his best two forwards and nearly a third of his list this season.
From the sounds of it Members is not likely to return and so expect our forward line to still be a work in progress for some time to come, hopefully Hayes can become reliable in 24.

wally
Club Player

It’s voted on by the coaches so it’s probably more authentic than is suggested.
Apparently Kingsley was crap at the saints must have fast tracked improvement

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d suggest he was a pretty good coach at StK

He was one the the AFL assistant coaches chosen to do the level 4 coaching course.

Obviously didn’t have the cattle, look what happened when he went to a club well resourced with talent available to coaches
B2B premierships while he was there.

GWS always a sleeping giant