Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Dylan Shiel

MC Gusto wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 7:25am
ausfatcat wrote: Tue 26 Sep 2023 10:31pm
MC Gusto wrote: Tue 26 Sep 2023 9:53pm Essendon don’t have a cap issue tho

Perhaps Essendon take gresh as reported we get first round
But we get Shiel for 0 salary cap impact in 24 but have to give the pick back

Essentially Shiel for $0 impact allowing us to hit the FA elsewhere

Either that or we keep Shiel and his salary and give back a later pick but I don’t think Essendon need cap relief so why would they do that??
So a 26 year old on a reported 600k in exchange for a nearly 31 year old on 800k+..... we lose

but sounds like a mega deal for Essendon that gets to Salary dump on a surplus player get pick 13 and get the free agent for nothing that they want.
No in the scenario I proposed it is us salary dumping. Lose gresh gain Shiel but for $0.
Supposedly Essendon have more cap space than us so I don’t know why they would be interested in salary dumping

In any event I would still rather just keep the compo pick don’t get me wrong. But I reckon Essendon would prefer Shiel over pick 31 so something doesn’t stack up
If Essendon are recruiting McKay, Gresham and Goldstein if not others I think cap space may be an issue.

If Essendon think Shiel is worth more than #31 at 31YO next season playing what 11 or 12 games this season they are dreaming.

If Gresham compo pick is low, we match the offer and they don't get him this season.
If Gresham compo is 1st round it means Essendon have paid overs and require some compensation.

Taking Shiel and his salary is compensation as he is reportedly highly paid, is 31 next season and is probably not in their best 22 next year.

The first round compensation pick going back is surely a joke.
This would mean Essendon get Gresham & a first round pick and lose a 31YO who is borderline best 22 on a large contract.

Saints lose Gresham, hand back his compo pick to Essendon and take on an over priced 31 year old.

Not possible in any scenario.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Essendon don’t have a cap issue tho

Perhaps Essendon take gresh as reported we get first round
But we get Shiel for 0 salary cap impact in 24 but have to give the pick back

Essentially Shiel for $0 impact allowing us to hit the FA elsewhere

Either that or we keep Shiel and his salary and give back a later pick but I don’t think Essendon need cap relief so why would they do that??
[/quote]

So a 26 year old on a reported 600k in exchange for a nearly 31 year old on 800k+..... we lose

but sounds like a mega deal for Essendon that gets to Salary dump on a surplus player get pick 13 and get the free agent for nothing that they want.
[/quote]

No in the scenario I proposed it is us salary dumping. Lose gresh gain Shiel but for $0.
Supposedly Essendon have more cap space than us so I don’t know why they would be interested in salary dumping

In any event I would still rather just keep the compo pick don’t get me wrong. But I reckon Essendon would prefer Shiel over pick 31 so something doesn’t stack up
[/quote]

If Essendon are recruiting McKay, Gresham and Goldstein if not others I think cap space may be an issue.

If Essendon think Shiel is worth more than #31 at 31YO next season playing what 11 or 12 games this season they are dreaming.

If Gresham compo pick is low, we match the offer and they don't get him this season.
If Gresham compo is 1st round it means Essendon have paid overs and require some compensation.

Taking Shiel and his salary is compensation as he is reportedly highly paid, is 31 next season and is probably not in their best 22 next year.

The first round compensation pick going back is surely a joke.
This would mean Essendon get Gresham & a first round pick and lose a 31YO who is borderline best 22 on a large contract.

Saints lose Gresham, hand back his compo pick to Essendon and take on an over priced 31 year old.

Not possible in any scenario.
[/quote]
If we are serious about drafting a 31 yr old whose best days were 4 + years ago then we are set for another year of mediocrity.

In red white and black from 73
Banger9798
SS Life Member

This trade keeps being spoken about, on the AFL app now....I can't really believe it's being countenanced.

Giving Gresham and pick 13 for Shiel???

If we do this, it is the dumbest trade ever.
As if we're desperate to get our hands on an aging injured ball butcherer???

Essendon would be pissing themselves laughing.

If it happens, I'm not renewing membership next year.

But I'm 99% sure it is bollocks

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Saints58
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 4:31pm This trade keeps being spoken about, on the AFL app now....I can't really believe it's being countenanced.

Giving Gresham and pick 13 for Shiel???

If we do this, it is the dumbest trade ever.
As if we're desperate to get our hands on an aging injured ball butcherer???

Essendon would be pissing themselves laughing.

If it happens, I'm not renewing membership next year.

But I'm 99% sure it is bollocks

I just read on Cal Toomey post that we are doing exactly that giving Essendon Gresham his compensation pick and we get shiel and pay his wages what a bloody stupid deal.
Why are we so intent on getting a lot of older past there prime players and either delisting or trading ones who are younger.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I can see us not doing the Shiel trade after Essendon puts up the Gresham contract.

Armed robbery for sure, but couldn't happen to a nicer club.

ace
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda needs to ensure Gresham only goes (or stays) as a free agent.
That way St Kilda get a draft compensation pick.
If Shiel is also given as free agent that draft compensation is lost.

So St Kilda must trade for Shiel but trading away a good pick for Shiel is stupid.

I thought trading a first rounder for Carlisle was OK but his best days were at Essendon and where is he playing now.
St Kilda's draft pick used should be coming into his prime now.
Trading good picks for players with only a few years left to play gives you a sugar rush but that quickly subsides.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
realdeal
Club Player

Ths is the craziest trade proposal ive ever heard..

No way on earth would we give up Gresh AND pick 13 for Shiel. Surely they give us an extra pick if anything.

Andwhay do we care what compo pick we get if we just giving it back anyway, as if Essendon complain whatever pick it was..

And then we also pay his over inflated contract.. give me a break, is it April fools day or something!?

No way this trade takes place.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 5:56pm St Kilda's draft pick used should be coming into his prime now.
Trading good picks for players with only a few years left to play gives you a sugar rush but that quickly subsides.
Funny you should mention that.

The Carlisle trade in 2015 was:

Saints get:
Carlisle, Pick 14 (Gresham)

Essendon get
#5 (Francis), #24 (Morgan)

ace
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 5:09pm
I just read on Cal Toomey post that we are doing exactly that giving Essendon Gresham his compensation pick and we get shiel and pay his wages what a bloody stupid deal.
Why are we so intent on getting a lot of older past there prime players and either delisting or trading ones who are younger.
That's nuts Essendon get Gresham and Gresham's compensation pick for Shiel.
St Kilda get Shiel and his salary for Gresham.

Now this makes sense
Essendon trade Shiel for a late draft pick
St Kilda cops Shiel's salary hit
Now Essendon get Gresham with no resistance bid from St Kilda
St Kilda lets it happen and receive hopefully a second round draft pick

St Kilda gets Shiel and a second round compensation pick but lose Gresham
Essendon get Gresham and salary relief from Shiel and a late drat pick but lose Shiel

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SuperDuper
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 5:59pm Ths is the craziest trade proposal ive ever heard..

No way on earth would we give up Gresh AND pick 13 for Shiel. Surely they give us an extra pick if anything.

Andwhay do we care what compo pick we get if we just giving it back anyway, as if Essendon complain whatever pick it was..

And then we also pay his over inflated contract.. give me a break, is it April fools day or something!?

I can only guess that the bombers are offering Greesham band 3 or 4 salary, which would be at best pick 33.

So they say to saints that they will up the offer if we agree to give them the FA compo pick for Shiel. But for it to make the slightest bit of sense, it must also involve them giving us pick 27

So they say.. here are your options
1. you wlll get pick 33 for Gresham...
2 we do this deal and you get pick 27 + Shiel for Gresham

In that case, the saints need to determine whether to match or not, which will depend on whether Ross wants him or not (what he says in the media cannot be trusted as there is incentive to say he is happy to keep him, even if he wants him gone)

SinCitySainter
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 6:21pm
realdeal wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 5:59pm Ths is the craziest trade proposal ive ever heard..

I can only guess that the bombers are offering Greesham band 3 or 4 salary, which would be at best pick 33.

So they say to saints that they will up the offer if we agree to give them the FA compo pick for Shiel. But for it to make the slightest bit of sense, it must also involve them giving us pick 27

In that case, the saints need to determine whether to match or not, which will depend on whether Ross wants him or not (what he says in the media cannot be trusted as there is incentive to say he is happy to keep him, even if he wants him gone)
Even that deal makes little sense unless Ross is desperate for a 31 year old injury prone midfielder who has lost his principal weapon of pace.
That is basically a swap of picks in the thirties (after compo picks, F/S etc...) for a past it midfielder on a huge salary.
This only makes sense if we keep the compo pick.

I have said it a few times now but if we pay a FRDP for Shiel then Bassett must sack Lyon immediately.
Even Daniel Andrews would baulk at that deal.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

We hold all the leverage given we can match any offer they make to Gresham.

If they then make a big enough offer that we don't match we then hold the leverage as they will be looking to offload Shiels salary.

Anything that reads like a massive Essendon win simply isn't going to happen and is likely DoDo leaking to the media.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SuperDuper
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 6:35pm

Even that deal makes little sense unless Ross is desperate for a 31 year old injury prone midfielder who has lost his principal weapon of pace.
That is basically a swap of picks in the thirties (after compo picks, F/S etc...) for a past it midfielder on a huge salary.

I have said it a few times now but if we pay a FRDP for Shiel then Bassett must sack Lyon immediately.
Well the part where it makes sense is that we get 27 instead of 33
Shiel is the steak knives... And I think Essendon would be paying his wages as well...

Still, I am just speculating and dont know the details of any deal.

SuperDuper
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 6:44pm We hold all the leverage given we can match any offer they make to Gresham.

If they then make a big enough offer that we don't match we then hold the leverage as they will be looking to offload Shiels salary.

Anything that reads like a massive Essendon win simply isn't going to happen and is likely DoDo leaking to the media.
It depends if we want to keep Gresham... we may be happy to take 27 for him and send it to Fremantle for Henry
Then we get Shiel as steak knives and let Essendon pay his salary

I dont know if that is good or bad.. just saying it is not shocking... it depends how Ross et al. rate Gresham and whether they want to keep him

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The key point to me is that Shiel has negative trade value. He is a cap dump trade like Bowes.

It has nothing to do with the player and everything to do with salary cap.

ace
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 6:35pm

I wasn't aware Andrews resigned as premier to take the recruitment job at Essendon F. C.
St Kilda will are screwed whatever the deal.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 7:47pm The key point to me is that Shiel has negative trade value. He is a cap dump trade like Bowes.

well there are some reports that Essendon would actually pay Shiel salary if he moved to St Kilda... or at least some if it
So, I think there are mixed reports on this...

If he is steak knives, with salary paid by bombers, then that is ok IMO
The question is how do we get the best pick for Gresham... 27 is better than 33

Some will say to keep him in that sort of pick range and that is a fair opinion

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I hope the AFL knocks some of the ridiculous proposals for a Shiel deal into a cocked hat.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
SinCitySainter
Club Player

If the deal is just a 2nd round pick swap and they keeping Shield salary then fine. However, there is no incentive for Essendon to do that.
The only way this makes any sense for both parties is if we keep the Gresham compo and get Shiel and his salary for a third rounder.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is there any truth that Shiel is coming to the Saints?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 11:09pm Is there any truth that Shiel is coming to the Saints?
Didn't Tony74 say at the time, when we presented to Mr Shiel a few years ago and he was thought a prize, that he just walked out rather contemptuously. No respect. How the roundabout turns.

repta
Club Player

Dint deal with the devil

Ultimately Shiel was not in Essendons best this year.
Saints olayed finals essndon did not
Saimts poured games into youngens this year.
Shiel is the wrong age group.

Shiel body will only have one year left. 2 at the outside

Therefore what do you pay for a player that ultimately has 10-20 games left. May never actually make the saints team as not in best and has injury issues.
3-4 round at absolute best.

Two destinct trades.
Get the best for Gresham.
If Essendon want a salary dump take Shiel
But we need something in return
Therefore force first round comp
Give pick in 4 round.

Saints Get VFlL medical room player and pick 13
Lose gresham

Essendon get gresham and pick in 4 round
Lose a list clogger

Win win.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's all a crock!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Free Agency happens first doesnt it?
Can't we just take pick 13 as the compo pick.
End of.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
groupie1
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 8:29pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 7:47pm The key point to me is that Shiel has negative trade value. He is a cap dump trade like Bowes.

well there are some reports that Essendon would actually pay Shiel salary if he moved to St Kilda... or at least some if it
So, I think there are mixed reports on this...

If he is steak knives, with salary paid by bombers, then that is ok IMO
The question is how do we get the best pick for Gresham... 27 is better than 33

Some will say to keep him in that sort of pick range and that is a fair opinion
Yes, that's correct.

There are two ways this makes sense:
a/ Dons pay big $$ for Gresham to induce a pick 13 compo to us. In return we take Shiel and salary off Don's hands, but have to manufacture a pick that is NOT pick 13.
b/ Dons pay big $$ for Gresham to induce a pick 13 compo to us. We send it to Dons, get Shiel but they pay the bulk of his salary. So they buy the pick off us, essentially.

The other version floating around:
c/ Dons pay big $$ for Gresham to induce a pick 13 compo to us. In return we take Shiel and salary off Don's hands, and give Dons pick 13 IS A TERRIBLE IDEA AND I CAN'T SEE WHY THE CLUB WOULD DO. This one makes no sense at all.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga