Dow officially nominates Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dow officially nominates Saints

samoht wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 5:37pm The thing about Dow is with only 53% game time compared to over 80% game time for Gresham, he still averaged 100 more metres gained.
It's easier to gain metres when you play behind the centre.
I still don't understand the relevance of this stat unless you compare like for like.

I wonder what Plugger's metres gained would have been!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Gresham's a midfield forward and Dow is a midfielder.

Butler and Higgins are the stay at home small forwards.
It wouldn't have been fair to compare them to either Gresh or Dow.

The way Gresham dashes and darts around, and given his extra game time, I would have expected Gresham to have at least double Dow's metres gained.

Not so.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, his little footsteps are misleading.

:)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 6:46pm Yeah, his little footsteps are misleading.

but his crab-like kicking action is unmistakable...not to mention those eyebrows.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 8:55pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 6:46pm Yeah, his little footsteps are misleading.

but his crab-like kicking action is unmistakable...not to mention those eyebrows.
I’ll miss his Errol Flyn…

Moustache

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

So what I’m reading is Dow is a centre clearance machine that has a tank and can run, but with questionable kicking,
Sounds like a cross between Luke Dunstan and Seb Ross.

With the speed and dare of the modern game, precise kicking skills and leg speed have never been more important. Look at Collingwood in the GF, those guys had great field kicking skills which allowed them to take the game on through the corridor at speed.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 5:47pm
samoht wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 5:37pm The thing about Dow is with only 53% game time compared to over 80% game time for Gresham, he still averaged 100 more metres gained.
It's easier to gain metres when you play behind the centre.
I still don't understand the relevance of this stat unless you compare like for like.

I wonder what Plugger's metres gained would have been!
Plugga didnt move...he willed the Sherrin into his mitts.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Highlights VFL

A Carlton fan's circumspect view..
The guy has never averaged over 14.3 disposals in 4 years and is currently playing 2's. Lipinski had 1 year under his best and dominated VFL consistently, we didn't get a poor return for him at all he was an out of contract depth player which is what Dow is. He doesn't have a lot of suitors blokes saying he will be handy for my team on BigFooty aren't list managers. Your window opening is irrelevant for him as he won't get close to the side. He is a mediocre 3rd to 4th round pick at best.

and this..
Dow is a nice fella but the club DGAF where he ends up, they don’t rate him and he couldn’t even get a game when Hewett, Kennedy and Walsh missed in the final round.

He isn’t very good and after 5 years has shown nothing beyond that one great half against Freo at which point he predictably blew up and was unsighted.

Had 21 touches against Collingwood this year but you’d hardly know he was out there.

If North give us a 3rd rounder we’ve swindled them big time.

It sounds like Bytel TBH

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

🍋🍇

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Dow is average and we love that!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 9:26pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 8:55pm

I’ll miss his Errol Flyn…

Moustache

I would give everything just to be like him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Hopefully the Dow Jones index reaches new heights next year.

damienc
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 11:38pm Highlights VFL

The guy has never averaged over 14.3 disposals in 4 years and is currently playing 2's. Lipinski had 1 year under his best and dominated VFL consistently, we didn't get a poor return for him at all he was an out of contract depth player which is what Dow is. He doesn't have a lot of suitors blokes saying he will be handy for my team on BigFooty aren't list managers. Your window opening is irrelevant for him as he won't get close to the side. He is a mediocre 3rd to 4th round pick at best.

and this..
Dow is a nice fella but the club DGAF where he ends up, they don’t rate him and he couldn’t even get a game when Hewett, Kennedy and Walsh missed in the final round.

He isn’t very good and after 5 years has shown nothing beyond that one great half against Freo at which point he predictably blew up and was unsighted.

Had 21 touches against Collingwood this year but you’d hardly know he was out there.

It sounds like Bytel TBH
Oh come on. I would take everything Blues fans say with a grain of salt. He’s leaving. They are never going to say nice things. Dow had a tremendous back half of season 2023. He is the kind of player we need. An inside mid who’s quick with good disposal by hand and feet. Look at his highlights reel. Carlton did not get the best out of him. We can. And by the way nothing like Bytel.

damienc
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 12:14am Dow is average and we love that!
No. He isn’t.

damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 12:02am🍋🍇
We’ll see won’t we. I hope I’m right and you’re wrong.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Dow is actually a midfielder, Gresham is not, neither is Billings.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

damienc wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 9:08am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 12:14am Dow is average and we love that!
No. He isn’t.
At present your opinion & my opinion dont matter.

All we have are facts.

How many games played, statistics of importance ( not the fluffy ones), impact on games, etc.

He's not a chump but he has played very average, these are the facts.

Could he improve? Maybe. If we do indeed see him in our colours I hope he does lift & impact games.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 9:09am
SaintPav wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 12:02am🍋🍇
We’ll see won’t we. I hope I’m right and you’re wrong.
Nice ego trip but was it a duck or a rabbit?

:lol:

Sorry about the collateral damage; the sour grapes was directed at the Carlton BF poster…

Stuff happens. :lol:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 9:07am
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 11:38pm Highlights VFL

and this..

It sounds like Bytel TBH
Oh come on. I would take everything Blues fans say with a grain of salt. He’s leaving. They are never going to say nice things. Dow had a tremendous back half of season 2023. He is the kind of player we need. An inside mid who’s quick with good disposal by hand and feet. Look at his highlights reel. Carlton did not get the best out of him. We can. And by the way nothing like Bytel.
1) They didn't pick him when they had Hewett, Kennedy and Walsh out. (hence the Bytel comment)
2) These lovely Carlton supporters were discussing him in a thread prior to any decisions by parties were made public. They were speculating. Some people said some nice stuff too, but the impression I got overall, was that he just wasn't good enough.
3) We have had very few successful mids that have come to St Kilda with this sort of career arc/profile although we have had a few over the decades. And quite a few from Carlton. Maybe Spiro Kourkamelis is a better comparison?
4) I am just using the optics of the situation as I see it. I have no idea if he is good enough but out mid field is so unremarkable that he will surely have a chance to shine. So instead of asking, 'Is he a talent waitiing for his moment, or has he had his moment?..we should ask, 'Shoulld we accept a slightly better used car than the one we have now'? And the answer is yes! Now if he turns into a Tom MItchell at Collingwood! Fantastic acquisition.
5) The highlights reel shows some nice shimmy and scoop. I believe his disposal isn't always on par with the best, but neither is Zac Jones's or Ronnie Byrnes's.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What’s hard to see from that highlight package is his decision making. He’s clearly not a thread the eye of the needle type of kick by any means but when kicking forward he more or less kicked to the forward at the contest. The challenge is that a few of the kicks where grab out of the pack and throw it forwad…
What you’d like to see is what he looks like kickinggto a player on the lead.

Looks decent by hand

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 8:33am Hopefully the Dow Jones index reaches new heights next year.
Haha. I like it

I don't think Zak and Paddy qualify for the Dow Jones 30 (they're the heavyweight Blue Chips). Maybe the SP500 or at least the Russell 2000.

Come to think of it...footy lists are similar to Share Indices in that they change 'components'. Footy clubs obviously change a lot more 'components' each year...and they're subjectively picked.

It's not science. Underperformers get turfed.

The DJIA covers 30 large-cap companies, which are subjectively picked by the editors of The Wall Street Journal.

Over the years, companies in the index have been changed to ensure the index stays current in its measure of the U.S. economy. In fact, none of the initial companies included in the average remain.

https://www.investopedia.com/investing/ ... e%20remain.

In Australia there's change to the components of the ASX 300 and All Ordinaries Index every 6 months. The charts on performance are a little artificial imo.

The components of the ASX20, ASX50 and ASX100 also change. It's in the industry's interest to promote the best performers and discard the laggards. The graph looks better that way

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If cheap then ok but anything above round three we have overpaid. He is not the player we need and we have enough mids who can go in and get the ball and then kick it to the wrong person or place. Not saying he doesn’t have skills he just doesn’t seem to bring anything new to our list, just an upgrade to some of our players.

IMHO I think Byrnes gets a bit of unnecessary hatred on here. Not saying he is amazing but he is still young and improving and I am looking forward to the impact a rtb pre season will have on him

damienc
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 6:22pm If cheap then ok but anything above round three we have overpaid. He is not the player we need and we have enough mids who can go in and get the ball and then kick it to the wrong person or place. Not saying he doesn’t have skills he just doesn’t seem to bring anything new to our list, just an upgrade to some of our players.

IMHO I think Byrnes gets a bit of unnecessary hatred on here. Not saying he is amazing but he is still young and improving and I am looking forward to the impact a rtb pre season will have on him
Not a player we need? You are joking of course. He's exactly the player we need and don't have. By don't have, I mean someone to burst from stoppages with the ball at speed to hand it over to an outside mid. Jack Steele was the closest but he doesn't have the leg speed of Paddy Dow.

I think Dow will relish the new opportunity he's being presented with at St Kilda. I certainly hope so.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Dow will go ok!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 3:18pm
samoht wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 8:33am Hopefully the Dow Jones index reaches new heights next year.
Haha. I like it

I don't think Zak and Paddy qualify for the Dow Jones 30 (they're the heavyweight Blue Chips). Maybe the SP500 or at least the Russell 2000.

Come to think of it...footy lists are similar to Share Indices in that they change 'components'. Footy clubs obviously change a lot more 'components' each year...and they're subjectively picked.

It's not science. Underperformers get turfed.

The DJIA covers 30 large-cap companies, which are subjectively picked by the editors of The Wall Street Journal.

Over the years, companies in the index have been changed to ensure the index stays current in its measure of the U.S. economy. In fact, none of the initial companies included in the average remain.

https://www.investopedia.com/investing/ ... e%20remain.

In Australia there's change to the components of the ASX 300 and All Ordinaries Index every 6 months. The charts on performance are a little artificial imo.

The components of the ASX20, ASX50 and ASX100 also change. It's in the industry's interest to promote the best performers and discard the laggards. The graph looks better that way
The Dow is price weighted. It is not weighted by market capitalisation. I ignore it.