Our Bobby Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Bobby Hill

Liam Henry....?

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Before yesterday he had never kicked more than 3 in a game.

He's a good little player but he's not the best thing since sliced bread.

What it highlights for me is the need for speed come finals time.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Be nice to be able to offer overs to who ever you want.

Collingwood just don't have a cap.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

There’s only one Bobby Hill!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

It's interesting to read what people think of past and current players and comparing these to Bobby Hill. The latter, by the way, is a midget at 175cm so Gresham at 177cm is the only like for like. But Gresham has never once that I've seen displayed anything like the mercurial pace and aerial agility of Bobby Hill.

Ben Long showed glimpses occassionally but lacked consistency and far too often got sucked into physical clashes that gave away free kicks. Maybe under the strict discipline of Ross Lyon he may have become a better player....

Neither Butler nor Higgins were particularly impressive this year, the latter kicked 36.25 this year (and a fair few total misses) which was OK but he could have contributed a hell of a lot more.

Nasiah Wanganeen Milera is a comparative giant at 187cm and in my opinion will very soon become St Kilda's best player, he has all the skill sets and can play pretty well anywhere on the ground including taking speckies and kicking goals. It was notable that Keidean Coleman at halfback for the Lions had the highest ranking in Fantasy points in the GF, I believe Nasiah is going to do even better!

Liam Henry if he makes it to Moorabbin has shown signs of mercurialism and could become the excitement machine St Kilda needs to make it to the top.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 01 Oct 2023 6:19pm
Zed wrote: Sun 01 Oct 2023 5:05am Which of our current players is capable of putting on a Bobby Hill style performance in a Grand Final ?

Butler is too prone to attempting his Harlem Globetrotters style flick ons, party tricks, and goals around the corner from 40m out - none of which ever come off against good teams in pressure situations

Huggins is dangerous within 15m of the goal line, but beyond that distance he plays like an undersized bush full forward who is out his depth at AFL.

Dare I say it, Gresham is the player that always looks capable of kicking 4 goals as a small forward, capable of the freak goals on the run from the boundary and never afraid to have a shot a goal .
I thought we HAD our own 'Bobby' in the making in 2017. Many Saints fans thought we did too. Lethlean and his footy department along with our list management didn't.

He was very much maligned by St Kilda fans but he could light up the field and he had all the tricks you'd want from a 'Bobby' type....and then some. We weren't exactly a high scoring team or finals worthy, so not ideal to be in a team as a forward in 2017/18/19.

I can't for the life of me figure out why we needed to recruit Jack Higgins once we had Dan and this other 'Bobby Hill' type... Don't forget we also had Lonie, Gresham and Billings.

By the way...he has an even more famous surname than Hill. We played him as a forward in 2017/18/19 but he was switched to the backline in 2020.

After we recruited Butler our 'Bobby' was moved. That's St Kilda's way of sabotaging our future.

Short term it was ok, but it messed long term with his footy development. We basically said to him that Lonie and Kent and Butler are preferred as our forwards. He struggled to hold his place in the St Kilda seniors in 2021/2022 and was traded to the Gold Coast Suns at the end of last year.

Stewy Dew wanted him to play half back flank...I think you know who I'm talking about. Many will say I used to pump this player up and rated him... probably for more than he was worth

We could have had a similar player to Bobby Hill, but unfortunately for Benny he didn't turn out to be our 'Bobby'.

Ben Long wasn't as mature as Bobby Hill ( Bobby is in a stable relationship and has a child) or perhaps as professional or as consistent.

Two things. Firstly our development at St Kilda of talented players is not good. We don't trust them
enough or give them enough support. We recruit too many of the same type, to the detriment of young players.

Secondly, Ben Long was his own worst enemy. Not for his discipline on ground (although that hasn't helped) but for the lack of total dedication to his sport and his career
Scollop you have officially lost the plot.

King Max
Club Player

Higgins played 2 fewer games than Hill but had more goals, disposals and marks.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We have short memories

evo
Club Player

spert wrote: Mon 02 Oct 2023 10:16am Some players just have a very good day, and the GF was Hill's big day. Sadly our forwards never produce the goods on the big day when it counts.
Cooper Sharman did a pretty good job..