Training Reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Reports

Jones may be the anti-Pendlebury.
Pendlebury is so durable, not fast but clever, good hands and positioning, composed, rarely fumbles, puts the ball to advantage. Unfortunately is a Pie.
I see Jones as all sizzle, no steak.
Bought at a time when we were all over the place floundering for top end talent. Well we have that now and Mr Jones is possibly an anachronism.
Speed, without ball control and accurate passing or good judgement about when to go flat out and when to play to circumstance rather than charge into the enemy guns, can be a disadvantage if it puts structures out of kilter.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2024 7:52am Jones may be the anti-Pendlebury.
Pendlebury is so durable, not fast but clever, good hands and positioning, composed, rarely fumbles, puts the ball to advantage. Unfortunately is a Pie.
I see Jones as all sizzle, no steak.
Bought at a time when we were all over the place floundering for top end talent. Well we have that now and Mr Jones is possibly an anachronism.
Speed, without ball control and accurate passing or good judgement about when to go flat out and when to play to circumstance rather than charge into the enemy guns, can be a disadvantage if it puts structures out of kilter.
Spot on . Far better articulated than my point, but exactly what I think of him

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

big fan of Jones but tend to agree with your assessment Yorkeys

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Training Report 7th Feb, 2024

Arrived around 9.45am. Boys had already completed warm ups and were running through drills.

Schoenmakers & Hayes in the rehab group running laps. Both looked like they weren't hampered by any injury so I guess they're working on fitness.

No Collard or Sinclair at training, and I spotted Dow heading to the DFC for a swim.

Caminiti was wearing a huge bandage on his head, and at one stage during a drill copped a stray hand which almost knocked him out. Medico's straight out to him when it happened and it took him a minute or so to fully recover but participated in the rest of training.

As mentioned by me (and others) before, Bonners kicking is elite, and I would be surprised if he wasn't in the round 1 team. His kicking off the half back line will be a weapon and his ability to hit a target in tight spaces is amazing.

Brad Hill involved in everything. He's very noticeable and his link up play is extraordinary. He is is by far our best runner.

Higgins is an interesting one. He can pull off the miraculous, but one minute later can do something stupid and turn the ball over. He has this habit of taking an extra bounce or trying to evade an opponent when he has a team mate right next to him which he can dish it out to but the extra possession usually results in him turning the ball over.

A lot of mini match sim drills with a real focus on ball movement. It looked to me like the first option is to look inside and use the corridor, but if there is no option, then the second option is to switch wide. Lots of short, sharp kicks, with lots of movement trying to create an option. Our skills are good overall.

At one point during one of the match sim drills, Membrey marked the ball about 35m out on a reasonably tight angle, and I heard Ross yell out, "Timmy, if you miss this, everyone does 90 seconds of commando rolls". Luckily for skunk he drilled the goal, to which there was some pretty loud celebration, with a lot of the boys getting around him.

The stand outs for me today were Hill, Clarke, Bonner, Sharman, Pou, Windy, Wood, Jones & Stocker with an honourble mention to Garcia (Ther's something about this kid - hard as nails and runs well). I even think that Keeler trained well today, and probably the best I've seen him train all pre-season. His skills (on both sides) are exceptional.

Allison looks lost in drills. Exceptional athlete who's had a pretty good pre-season, but I doubt he breaks into this team. Who will play in the small defender roles will be interesting, with Bonner, Stocker, Webster & Paton fighting it out for two positions (with Howard, Battle, Wilkie, NAS and possibly Sinclair holding down the other 4 spots.

Kosi, Joey & Baker were interested onlookers today with Ross, Lenny & BJ all going over at various stages to say hello. We've come in for some criticism re: bringing back ex players in coaches roles, but for me it's great that these guys are still very invested in the club and want to see it succeed.

I didn't stay until the very end so I missed the incident where Clarke was hit on the head.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Was there today

Big session

On lookers, Kosi, Joey and Bakes

And old VFL coach and head of development- Simon McPhee

B.M
Saintsational Legend

From today

Got a good idea of the look of the way they will line up

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I was there today as well, kick it lace out's summary has nailed it so i can't really add anything.

I threw a couple of footy's back onto the ground after the players were doing some set shot kicking.
Now that i'm old those footy's, yellow and red, seem very big and as hard as a brick.
I'd never try and mark one, i think the ball would break my digits. :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm excited about the influence Wilkie, Goddard and Enright might have on Keeler's skill set.

Check out his dad at CHEverywhere

lewdogs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2024 4:15pm From today

Any surprises?

loris
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2024 4:15pm From today

Like to expand on your idea & identity on how you think they may line up ?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

On Twitter...
Hunter Clark got elbow in head from Crouch
First 10 mins of match sim.

Last sentence of a post, 7 posts above on here.
From kick-it-lace-out

Saints sent him for scans

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
loris
Saintsational Legend

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2024 4:09pm Training Report 7th Feb, 2024

Arrived around 9.45am. Boys had already completed warm ups and were running through drills.

Schoenmakers & Hayes in the rehab group running laps. Both looked like they weren't hampered by any injury so I guess they're working on fitness.

No Collard or Sinclair at training, and I spotted Dow heading to the DFC for a swim.

Caminiti was wearing a huge bandage on his head, and at one stage during a drill copped a stray hand which almost knocked him out. Medico's straight out to him when it happened and it took him a minute or so to fully recover but participated in the rest of training.

As mentioned by me (and others) before, Bonners kicking is elite, and I would be surprised if he wasn't in the round 1 team. His kicking off the half back line will be a weapon and his ability to hit a target in tight spaces is amazing.

Brad Hill involved in everything. He's very noticeable and his link up play is extraordinary. He is is by far our best runner.

Higgins is an interesting one. He can pull off the miraculous, but one minute later can do something stupid and turn the ball over. He has this habit of taking an extra bounce or trying to evade an opponent when he has a team mate right next to him which he can dish it out to but the extra possession usually results in him turning the ball over.

A lot of mini match sim drills with a real focus on ball movement. It looked to me like the first option is to look inside and use the corridor, but if there is no option, then the second option is to switch wide. Lots of short, sharp kicks, with lots of movement trying to create an option. Our skills are good overall.

At one point during one of the match sim drills, Membrey marked the ball about 35m out on a reasonably tight angle, and I heard Ross yell out, "Timmy, if you miss this, everyone does 90 seconds of commando rolls". Luckily for skunk he drilled the goal, to which there was some pretty loud celebration, with a lot of the boys getting around him.

The stand outs for me today were Hill, Clarke, Bonner, Sharman, Pou, Windy, Wood, Jones & Stocker with an honourble mention to Garcia (Ther's something about this kid - hard as nails and runs well). I even think that Keeler trained well today, and probably the best I've seen him train all pre-season. His skills (on both sides) are exceptional.

Allison looks lost in drills. Exceptional athlete who's had a pretty good pre-season, but I doubt he breaks into this team. Who will play in the small defender roles will be interesting, with Bonner, Stocker, Webster & Paton fighting it out for two positions (with Howard, Battle, Wilkie, NAS and possibly Sinclair holding down the other 4 spots.

Kosi, Joey & Baker were interested onlookers today with Ross, Lenny & BJ all going over at various stages to say hello. We've come in for some criticism re: bringing back ex players in coaches roles, but for me it's great that these guys are still very invested in the club and want to see it succeed.

I didn't stay until the very end so I missed the incident where Clarke was hit on the head.
Thanks 😇

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So then,
In so far as we have a full fit and firing forward line, with no doubts about their conditioning and fitness for round one, we can truly say

Tim Membrey is back!
Higgo is Tip Top
And Vorts favorite, the fabulous Cooper S Sharmanator is polishing his boots (with mirrors) and silver plating his laces ready to go!

And the rest?
Caminiti - banged up, hammy, head butted, a work in progress
Hayes - as per normal
The King - not big and bulky like his brother and still recovering, maybe
The Butler is nursing his ankle..

It isn’t a very threatening forward line- but who says?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Backline will probably contain

Webster - Howard - Wilkie - NWM - Bonner - Battle
No Sinclair today

Other Side
Cordy - Keeler - O Connoll - Hastie - Stocker - McLennan

Wing
Byrnes and Wood

Other Side
Wilson and Sandy player

Ruck
Marshall

Other side
Campbell

Mids
Steele - Clark - Windhager - Hotton
Other side
Ross - Crouch - Jones - Garcia

Forwards
Henry - Hill
Owens
King
Membrey
Higgins

Other side
Heath
Sharman
Caminiti
Allison
Sandy Player
Sandy Player

Did not play
Sincs, Hayes, Schoenmaker, Dow, Phillipou, Butler, Paton, Collard, Van Es

Interesting
The A Team won the second quarter 2-3-15 to 2-0-12
Despite being pretty dominant

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I guess my take out of that

Wilkie-Howard-Webster
NWM-Battle-Sinclair
Byrnes-Steele-Wood
Hill-Owens-Henry
Higgins-King-Membrey

Marshall-Clark-Windhager

Bonner-Wilson-Crouch-Ross

Sub - Jones

Emerg
Stocker - Garcia - Dow - Sharman

Sandy
McLennan-Cordy-Schoemaker
Stocker-Keeler-Hastie
xxxxx-Dow-xxxxx
-Sharman-Allison
Collard-Caminiti-Heath

Campbell-Garcia-Hotton

O’Connell

Inj
Hayes - Paton - Van Es - Butler

chook23
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2024 8:52pm I guess my take out of that

Wilkie-Howard-Webster
NWM-Battle-Sinclair
Byrnes-Steele-Wood
Hill-Owens-Henry
Higgins-King-Membrey

Marshall-Clark-Windhager

Bonner-Wilson-Crouch-Ross

Sub - Jones

Emerg
Stocker - Garcia - Dow - Sharman

Sandy
McLennan-Cordy-Schoemaker
Stocker-Keeler-Hastie
xxxxx-Dow-xxxxx
-Sharman-Allison
Collard-Caminiti-Heath

Campbell-Garcia-Hotton

O’Connell

Inj
Hayes - Paton - Van Es - Butler
NO Pou??

saint4life
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sorry

Phillipou will definitely be in the side

Slipped my mind because he wasn’t playing today

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Membrey before Sharman is interesting/little disappointing. Sharman is so good to watch, exciting.

(With that half forward line up I'd play Cooper before Tim. But another reminder of how likkle I know.)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks BM, tough to pick a side!

Watched the first qtr of the GWS final today and I'd struggle to leave out both Caminiti and Sharman.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 07 Feb 2024 10:27pm Thanks BM, tough to pick a side!

Watched the first qtr of the GWS final today and I'd struggle to leave out both Caminiti and Sharman.
I watched first half last night. Whilst Sharman did some great things, I’m not convinced on the defensive side of his game. Having not seen a second of pre season I’d start hm at Sandy and play a physically and mentally refreshed Members. The team is very agile and fast. Battle the only relatively slow one and Howard ( although is quite agile for a 200cm plus player) With Henry and Wilson in the team it appears we’re definitely looking to play with a bit of pace on the ball. Midfield with Steele, Crouch and possibly Ross the only area where we haven’t got wheels.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wilkie-Howard-Webster
NWM-Battle-Sinclair
Henry-Steele-Wood
Hill-Hayes-Owens
Higgins-King-Membrey

Dow-Clark-Crouch-Ross Roma

Sub - Pou

Emerg
Stocker - Wilson - Jones - Heath

I know he's still in the rehab group but I'll put Hayes in based on what I think will be the type of structure will be desirable to Ross, same reason I switched Dow in for Bonner.

Pretty sure RoMa and Clark plays

I've taken Byrnes out becaue I think he's going to play mostly at Sandy and remain as a fringe player with Henry and Dow now on the list.

I've replaced Sharman with Heath as an emergency as I think he has more upside for the future with regards to the need in developing an extra ruck. I think Members will keep both Sharaman and Caminiti out of the side most weeks if available throughout the season.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Won't Higgins and Membrey get in each other's way?
Who would Butler be competing with?
There are some excellent defenders going around, does Tim have a point of difference to beat them in 50/50s?
I have no answers and don't envy the selectors .

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Higgins needs to play as a true small forward, front and centre. If he can't play that role then Collard can.

frank

Is there a training session on tomorrow does anyone know?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

If Byrnes is playing round 1 we haven't improved.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL