Jack Bytel training with Collingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Bytel training with Collingwood

Pies will slide badly this year, they have over 10 players who are well in their 30s and Murphy looks like his career is almost over which is going to hurt big time so I can only see Bytel getting run if they are struggling to cover for Adams but the Pies are close to falling off a cliff and needing a rebuild of some magnitude.

ctqs
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 12:29pm
Beno88 wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 12:05pm
saynta wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 10:20am Typical saints. Bytel not good enough to get a game or a fair go with us but gets signed by the premiership team.

I hope you star with them Jack and go on and have a good career which was denied to you at Moorabbin.
How'd that work out for Luke Dunstan?

If he's good enough, he'll make it. To this point, he hasn't been good enough.
Good point. Matty Parker says g'day as well.
As do Spencer White and Nathan Freeman.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I can see some posters ending up with egg all over their faces.

Jack is not freeman, white, or parker FFS.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jack is a decent player. But they reserved there list spots for an age group for the exact reasons Vortex mentioned above. Hope he does well but I can't see him making too much impact and pushing his way in.
He is behind an AFL recruit.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 8:30pm Jack is a decent player. But they reserved there list spots for an age group for the exact reasons Vortex mentioned above. Hope he does well but I can't see him making too much impact and pushing his way in.
Load up on the Pies to miss tbe 8.

It will add that extra dimension of entertainment tro the 2024 season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 8:59pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 8:30pm Jack is a decent player. But they reserved there list spots for an age group for the exact reasons Vortex mentioned above. Hope he does well but I can't see him making too much impact and pushing his way in.

That’s not being a contrarian…it’s insane. Fair enough if you said ‘miss the top 4’ there’s probably a 30-50% chance of that …imo ….but not the top 8.

That’d be like betting your house that Microsoft was overvalued in 2018 and ‘loading up’ on put options every time it hit multiples of 100

I don’t think they’re as arrogant as Geelong were in 2022 and Collingwood aren’t having a major change in on-field leadership in 2024.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 16 Feb 2024 9:35pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The hype around the Pies has reached nauseating levels.

They're not that good; no team is.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 9:27pm

That’s not being a contrarian…it’s insane. Fair enough if you said ‘miss the top 4’ there’s probably a 30-50% chance of that …imo ….but not the top 8.

That’d be like betting your house that Microsoft was overvalued in 2018 and ‘loading up’ on put options every time it hit multiples of 100

I don’t think they’re as arrogant as Geelong were in 2022 and Collingwood aren’t having a major change in on-field leadership in 2024.
Collingwoods 30+ premiership players

Jamie Elliot

Tom Mitchell

Scott Penelbury

Steele Sidebottom

Jack Crisp (I know he didn't play in the GF but helped em get there)

Will Hoskin-Elliot

Jerromy Howe

Brody Miochek

Mason Cox

That's a sizeable list of 30+ years of age players.

Funnily enough I think you'll find the Pies team was older than the Cats flag team but heaps more was made about the Cats age profile by the media which was largely due to the pile on from one small source which can happen in AFL journalism.

Now add Murphy looks like he might not play again which is massive on its own.

Load up Scollop, it will be a nice little earner.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sounds improbable but they won a lot of close games. If those results went the other way...
BNE handed them the GF.
Surely Pendlebury and Sidebottom can't defy aging forever.
Conversely they are well coached and full of confidence.
Perhaps an injury to one of the Daicos and diminished desire now the group actually won the cup through gut bursting efforts may affect them.
If wishful thinking works they will come a cropper. But not betting on it.

saintbob
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 4:16pm I can see some posters ending up with egg all over their faces.

Jack is not freeman, white, or parker FFS.
No, he’s a GOP like old mate who went to Melbourne after they won the premiership and most on here said the same thing “That’ll come back to haunt us.”
Well guess what, it didn’t and this one won’t either!!

They’re called depth players to clubs like Collingwood and Melbourne, but to a club like ours they are called list cloggers and we are finally starting to weed them out which is a very good thing IMO.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I rate Bytel highly

Gun at VFL level

Will be decent at AFL level - like Stocker

Amazing hands, improved runner, strong over the footy. Reasonably good kick, elite by hand

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't discount a draft grabbing drop down the order, fire sale trades and a nice little draft top up at the end of the year.
They aren't called the Collywobbles for nothing and the certainly are in any fear of slipping down the popularity stakes in terms of membership. They are also stacked with cash and have an enviable under 22 representation.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 17 Feb 2024 9:32am I rate Bytel highly

Gun at VFL level

Will be decent at AFL level - like Stocker

Amazing hands, improved runner, strong over the footy. Reasonably good kick, elite by hand
An honest toiler, no question, just unfortunately lacks a little bit of razzle dazzle and/or ability to light it up on the odd occasion to provide some creativity.

Doesn't sound very Collingwood to me so it will be one of those feel good stories if he can become a member of their best 23.

saint6709
Club Player

His main problem seemed to be he couldn’t take his opportunities when he had them to play in the senior side - couldn’t find the ball
If I remember correctly he had a shocker last time he played for us at senior level

Definitely seemed to have potential but couldn’t show it when it mattered

As someone has already mentioned the club seems to be acting faster to cut the ‘list cloggers’ - those who are-injury prone or not performing

No doubt they will get a few wrong but they give themselves a better chance of finding more talent with greater turnover of the bottom 10 on the list

The seemingly new direction of needing players to be able to stay on the park to stay on the list will definitely keep Sandy more competitive which should hopefully improve development of those players coming through the 2s - it will be good for them to learn their craft in side that wins more games than what we have seen in recent years

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 10:36pm

Jamie Elliot

Tom Mitchell

Scott Penelbury

Steele Sidebottom

Will Hoskin-Elliot

Jerromy Howe

Brody Miochek

Mason Cox

Funnily enough I think you'll find the Pies team was older than the Cats flag team but heaps more was made about the Cats age profile by the media which was largely due to the pile on from one small source which can happen in AFL journalism.

A few people have mentioned that Collingwood won a lot of games by a close margin and 'what if' the opposite were true and 'they lost' many games by a close margin ...

That's like saying what if Black Caviar didn't win ALL her close wons! All that counts is the win at the final siren just like the first past the post at finish line.

I'm not anointing Collingwood as the team to beat in 2024, but I see quality senior on field leaders, quality senior players, a quality coaching group, a quality club hierarchy and a winning culture all round.

It's rare for clubs to go back to back and I think Collingwood will finish perhaps between 2nd to sixth.

By the way Crisp did play. He was probably unlucky not to have walked away with the Norm Smith

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 17 Feb 2024 6:49pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 10:36pm

Jamie Elliot

Tom Mitchell

Scott Penelbury

Steele Sidebottom

Will Hoskin-Elliot

Jerromy Howe

Brody Miochek

Mason Cox

A few people have mentioned that Collingwood won a lot of games by a close margin and 'what if' the opposite were true and 'they lost' many games by a close margin ...

That's like saying what if Black Caviar didn't win ALL her close wons! All that counts is the win at the final siren just like the first past the post at finish line.

I'm not anointing Collingwood as the team to beat in 2024, but I see quality senior on field leaders, quality senior players, a quality coaching group, a quality club hierarchy and a winning culture all round.

It's rare for clubs to go back to back and I think Collingwood will finish perhaps between 2nd to sixth.

By the way Crisp did play. He was probably unlucky not to have walked away with the Norm Smith
OK but can you please promise you'll remember where you read it first of the prediction the Pies would miss the 8 in 2024.