Webster appalling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Webster appalling

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 8:57am I think we should remember that Jimmy is a heart and soul Saints veteran. He has made a mistake and will pay the penalty Was one of our best on ground before that incident, and should win his spot back in a few weeks.
100% this.

Not a known thug. Made a mistake.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 7:09pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 7:06pm Was Simpkin knocked out?

Was stretchered off?

Any facial injuries?
Don’t think contact was made to his head. Whiplash I think got him.
Maybe time to leave the thinking to those that can.
Looks like head high contact to me.

The incident that led up this was a clearly high fend off from Simpkin on Hill that went unpunished from the umpire. Webster tried to "even up" but got it horribly wrong. The free was paid against Webster as a down field free and North goaled. That started a run of five goals from them without an answer from us. This incident swung the momentum of the game. It was silly, out of character, and costly to the team. Now it will be costly for Jimmy.
Those calling for an 8-10 week ban are equating this with the Barry Hall hit on Staker. That was a behind the play king hit, and not comparable. This incident was still a football act. I'd expect a similar penatly to SPP with maybe an extra week thrown in because he got him late. Any more than five weks is manifestly excessive and should be appealed.

spert
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 1:39am Maynard's collision was the aftermath of him actually trying to smother the ball. Jimmy's was just a bad decision to jump in and crunch the player.
That said, I'm still a fan of Jimmy's -- one of the truly courageous footballers around.
I feel sure he was aiming at a hip and shoulder encounter. But his arm hit Simpkin's head..
Not as bad as many are making out. But under today's rules he is responsible, and should have known
In the light of Powell- Pepper's incident, this was very bad, it was avoidable, and this is where the AFL will now send a bigger message to clubs and players.

King Max
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 9:12am

Was stretchered off?

Any facial injuries?

The incident that led up this was a clearly high fend off from Simpkin on Hill that went unpunished from the umpire. Webster tried to "even up" but got it horribly wrong. The free was paid against Webster as a down field free and North goaled. That started a run of five goals from them without an answer from us. This incident swung the momentum of the game. It was silly, out of character, and costly to the team. Now it will be costly for Jimmy.
Those calling for an 8-10 week ban are equating this with the Barry Hall hit on Staker. That was a behind the play king hit, and not comparable. This incident was still a football act. I'd expect a similar penatly to SPP with maybe an extra week thrown in because he got him late. Any more than five weks is manifestly excessive and should be appealed.
It happened at the end of the first quarter. North's run of five goals was in the third quarter.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Was stretchered off?

Any facial injuries?

Theres a gap between Webster and Simpkins head in the photos I've seen from side on.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 9:48am It happened at the end of the first quarter. North's run of five goals was in the third quarter.
Yep...You're right.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Was stretchered off?

Any facial injuries?
He was concussed, so I'm not sure why any of those questions are relevant.

If you elect to bump when you have a clear choice, then you run the risk of suspension if the player is concussed, or was at risk of concussion due to the bump.
It doesn't matter if the initial contact was head high, the player was unconcious, taken off on a stretcher, or has visible facial injuries.
It was clear that Jimmy's hit was late, and unwarranted. It was a clear high hit, and the fact that Jimmy left the ground, virtually ensured that the hit would be high. If he'd stayed low then the it might have been an accidental head clash instead of the upper arm to the head.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Borat wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 9:17pm I do not understand why is anger and people say appalling. Jimmy take him out with good hard bump. High five! :mrgreen:
If only you were sitting on the tribunal, Borat! Is nice! 😄😄😄

spert
Saintsational Legend

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 11:38am
Borat wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 9:17pm I do not understand why is anger and people say appalling. Jimmy take him out with good hard bump. High five! :mrgreen:
If only you were sitting on the tribunal, Borat! Is nice! 😄😄😄
For those whose lives have been fuc*ed by concussion, it aint a laughing matter.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 12:51am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 5:00pm Bad action by an otherwise respected, tough and clean player.

6 weeks but let's not murder the blokes character. He made a mistake and will cop his punishment for it.
Hard you would think he pulled an Andrew Gaff by the reactions going around on social media. 10 years ago this a nothing more than a tough/hard footy act.
Shame on max rooke and his coward coplaintiffs for what they’ve done to the game.
Given what happened to Spud and Tuck your comment is completely out of touch and lacking in class, talk about not reading the room

Incidentally I have watched footy for coming up on 60 years and a bump like this is and was never “tough or hard”. Hitting a player late is easy. Putting your head over the ball is tough and hard.

FQF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well how unlucky is Benny Paton, the door opens but he can't get through.

And Jimmy further destabilise our Trump card defence.

All in all a poor show.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The temptation must be there to play Windhager in the back half now.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Seems that Al Clarkson had a bit to say on the matter...
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 0gS3hcaZQ4
FoxSports wrote:Coach Alastair Clarkson was animated towards several St Kilda players at quarter-time, leaving some onlookers at RSEA Park stunned. Nine News reported Clarkson at one stage used the term “c***sucker” amid a string of expletives.

Commentating on the boundary line for Fox Footy, former Hawthorn sharpshooter Ben Dixon had a front-row seat to the explosive exchange.

“I wasn’t surprised, because I know Clarko well, that’s his DNA, he’ll protect his players,” Dixon told foxfooty.com.au.

“Sometimes his emotions can get the better of him.”

That much was intimated by Clarkson, who said in a statement to Nine News his “emotional” exchange was “unnecessary” with the language used “inappropriate” and that he had reached out to Ross Lyon, Jimmy Webster and Dougal Howard to apologise.
I see that Dicko is still a Clarko apologist, though. That behaviour from Clarko is not acceptible today. You'd think he'd be sick of saying sorry for his behaviour where his "emotions get the better of him". Be better!

amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 10:01am

Was stretchered off?

Any facial injuries?

Theres a gap between Webster and Simpkins head in the photos I've seen from side on.
Ah yes, another season of curly claiming that everyone is wrong and he has vision that either exonerates the saints or proves the umpires/afl are against us!

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Firstly, the below article refers to a 2024 amendment to rules that previous decisions or tribunal hearings have no bearing on new cases.
Effectively it is a whole new process (around head knocks) in 2024 is my reading of this and given court cases and the dramatic effects of CTE I think the plan is to come down hard on head knocks with lengthy suspensions.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/26/ ... er-powell/

Secondly, Powell-Pepper got 4 and his incident was not nearly as severe as JW's in my opinion.
IMO PP didn't specifically line the player up, leave the ground to hit him or brace to bump in the fashion Jimmy did.

Jimmy is a brave, tough but fair player who obviously had a brain fade in this situation.
I doubt he set out to injure Simpkin or breach current rules as he did, but it happened so now he has to wear the penalty.

I initially thought 6 weeks fair, with 4 a good outcome.
Given the media profile I now think 6 would be a good outcome with 8 more likely as media beat up will add fuel to the fire.

I hope Jimmy comes back and regains his place, it would be disappointing if he is remembered by this isolated incident instead of a body of work where he committed his body unwaveringly to the contest in a fair manner throughout his whole career.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 2:44pm
Worth 2 at best.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

4-6 is the range that this always has been

Now we’re hearing in the media, calls of 8-10 and it’s gathering steam which is annoying

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

There’s a level of bloodlust in the media, which is always bad news for the player and club that is in the sights.

Webster has a very good record, but I fear that might be overlooked on this occasion.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I want him back asap

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 11:58am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 5:00pm Bad action by an otherwise respected, tough and clean player.

6 weeks but let's not murder the blokes character. He made a mistake and will cop his punishment for it.
Hard you would think he pulled an Andrew Gaff by the reactions going around on social media. 10 years ago this a nothing more than a tough/hard footy act.
Shame on max rooke and his coward coplaintiffs for what they’ve done to the game.
Given what happened to Spud and Tuck your comment is completely out of touch and lacking in class, talk about not reading the room

Incidentally I have watched footy for coming up on 60 years and a bump like this is and was never “tough or hard”. Hitting a player late is easy. Putting your head over the ball is tough and hard.

FQF
Players make a choice, rightly or wrongly, to put their bodies and future lives on the line when playing a sport as brutal as AFL. I think it’s shameful the support of the concussion movement, when the vast majority of plaintiffs are asking for handouts at the expense of the fabric of the game for their poor life choices.

Re your second point, this is just factually wrong . Players like archer, plugger, Ablett etc.. had numerous identical incidents to this and they are consider hard and tough legends. Not sure what AFL you’ve been watching for the past 60 years lol.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If Jimmy gets more than 4 there are strong grounds for appeal. Even the make it up as you go AFL can't be ridiculously inconsistent and arbitrary.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 2:08pm If Jimmy gets more than 4 there are strong grounds for appeal. Even the make it up as you go AFL can't be ridiculously inconsistent and arbitrary.
The AFL sent a clear message by rubbing out SPP for 4 weeks. I thought Webster's effort was pis$ weak and he deserves a big stretch on the sidelines.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 2:07pm
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 11:58am

FQF
Players make a choice, rightly or wrongly, to put their bodies and future lives on the line when playing a sport as brutal as AFL. I think it’s shameful the support of the concussion movement, when the vast majority of plaintiffs are asking for handouts at the expense of the fabric of the game for their poor life choices.

Re your second point, this is just factually wrong . Players like archer, plugger, Ablett etc.. had numerous identical incidents to this and they are consider hard and tough legends. Not sure what AFL you’ve been watching for the past 60 years lol.
I get your point but times have changed, and don't forget a hard tough Saints player is a equivalent to a dirty thug if wearing an opposition jumper :lol:

Big Carl was considered one of the toughest players of all time, and I loved him as a player.

But was he tough, a dirty thug or a mixture of both.

For me he was both tough and a thug, but that was the era and we loved it.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

"At the quarter-time break, I voiced my displeasure to St Kilda players Jimmy Webster and Dougal Howard as they made their way to the quarter time huddle. This was an exchange that was emotional in defence of our captain, but unnecessary and the language I used was inappropriate.

"I have reached out to Ross Lyon and both the St Kilda players to apologise."

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.