Umpire 35

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Umpire 35

In the words of Curly “a cheat”

Plucked decisions off the ball, seemed to make the call of the last free to them when there was to my eyes nothing

Questions need to be asked

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpire 35

Good luck with that

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I like Dunstall's suggestion that one umpire away from the play shouldn't be able to out vote the other 3. And Dunstall was barracking for Essendon.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

He killed the momentum we had when we were on the roll. Owens used his body to mark and then we were out and had numbers streaming to the forward line. Gifted them a free kick late by this d**khead 35 and they ended up getting a goal. Killed it for us.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Oh well, at least they were on our side last week.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

While there were clear free kicks that weren't paid, in the end, we cost ourselves the game, same as we did against Geelong.
However, it will be interesting what weren't free kicks this week, will be next week and free kicks that were paid this week will disappear next week.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2024 3:44pm While there were clear free kicks that weren't paid, in the end, we cost ourselves the game, same as we did against Geelong.
However, it will be interesting what weren't free kicks this week, will be next week and free kicks that were paid this week will disappear next week.
This

I am so sick of 'Rule of the Week'.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2024 11:53pm And Dunstall was barracking for Essendon.
Was he though? I recall that he picked us to win and stated that he really liked the way we play.

The commentators simply did what they always do: barracked for the team that was behind to come back in order to make the game more exciting.

You do get the occasional commentator who seems to have a strong bias against us: Tim Lane being the most obvious example. But I've never seen Dunstall as one of those.

Of course I realise that I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to convince many Saints supporters that the entire AFL universe isn't lined up against our club.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As long as you have more than one umpire, things like this are going to happen from time to time. The umpiring bosses don't favour umpires overruling the umpire closest to the play except when an infringement is really, really clear (which the Owens alleged infringement certainly was not).

The umpire concerned is likely to get a bit of mid-week attention on Fox Footy, so he'd better be a bit more selective as to when he intervenes, or he might end up in the VFL, I reckon.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 9:42am
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2024 11:53pm And Dunstall was barracking for Essendon.
Was he though? I recall that he picked us to win and stated that he really liked the way we play.

The commentators simply did what they always do: barracked for the team that was behind to come back in order to make the game more exciting.

You do get the occasional commentator who seems to have a strong bias against us: Tim Lane being the most obvious example. But I've never seen Dunstall as one of those.

Of course I realise that I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to convince many Saints supporters that the entire AFL universe isn't lined up against our club.
Bit of a stretch.
Thinking Jason hoped Essendon wins is a long way from suggesting the world is against us. Although perhaps banging your head causes such non sequiters.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 10:25am Thinking Jason hoped Essendon wins is a long way from suggesting the world is against us.
It wouldn't if I didn't read almost every week on this and other forums that the commentators were against us.

And the umpires.

And the AFL administration.

- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Forget chip in the ball technology, replace umpires with AI.
Google could do a set of algorithms.
Be fun to hack into as well.
AFL stubbornly refuses to throw the ball up because its a sacred tradition, notwithstanding everything else can change; and umpire interpretations do, on a play by play basis. Umpiring has become a random factor. Even not committing a foul can be penalised. Commit an offence and 50/50 its play on. Chaos by committee.
And they are unaccountable, because we need junior umpires, and we need to assure them they cannot be wrong, whatever, rationalise the absurd.